Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437 ... 445  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:40 am 

J Man wrote:
National is gone.

They're now losing the "which leader would I rather have a bbq with" contest - which is how people vote.

I doubt it

If anyone were to be worried it would be Winston of getting 5%

If the whole numbers are because of rounding then 3 parties would have to be rounded up to get the extra 1%, and I would guess he is one of them

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:40 am 

grouch wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
grouch wrote:
On a positive note , long overdue IMO
" New Zealand could be a step closer to increasing the minimum residency required to get New Zealand Superannuation after a bill proposing an increase from 10 to 20 years was drawn from the parliamentary ballot.

New Zealand and Australia currently have the lowest residency requirements in the OECD at 10 years for eligibility to the state pension while the average across the OECD is 26 years.

But a bill put forward by New Zealand First MP Mark Patterson could change that, if it gains support from other political parties.

Patterson's bill proposes raising the minimum residency from 10 to 20 years after the age of 20 - meaning a childhood spend in New Zealand would not count towards the qualification."

I'd also support a bill limiting access to public funded healthcare for immigrants over the age of 30.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12058818
It is a sensible move, but will need some hardship discretions to avoid unduly harsh outcomes (for immigrants and kiwis alike). Despite being marketed as aimed at immigrants, it will also impact long term fleewees, so I assume there will be some consideration of whether they have access to foreign superannuation funds.

More interesting is the philosophical crack it opens on entitlements generally. If NZ citizens are denied access to superannuation on the basis that they weren’t in the country during their most productive years, then it leads (as it already is online) to a discussion of net contributions. In reality a number of expat kiwis will be less of a net drain on the nation’s resources than long term resident kiwis who don’t pay tax.

There is a lot to like about the broad consensus MMP produces on issues like these.

Not only did I suffer through compounding interest while studying now all that work I did as a teenager wont count towards my retirement. :x

:lol:

Am I correct , you are in oz?
Do your homework on the best performing super funds [ generally union or trade ] and salary sacrifice as much as possible . Review annually the return and select the most aggressive fund that you are comfortable with.

Go for Citizenship asap.

As a nation , NZ has written the book on' how to fuckup retirement planning for those born after 1970'.

If he takes citizenship he can't access that Superannuation until his retirement age, even if he transfers it to a NZ fund.

Non citizens can take their super when they leave.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am 

guy smiley wrote:
grouch wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
grouch wrote:
On a positive note , long overdue IMO
" New Zealand could be a step closer to increasing the minimum residency required to get New Zealand Superannuation after a bill proposing an increase from 10 to 20 years was drawn from the parliamentary ballot.

New Zealand and Australia currently have the lowest residency requirements in the OECD at 10 years for eligibility to the state pension while the average across the OECD is 26 years.

But a bill put forward by New Zealand First MP Mark Patterson could change that, if it gains support from other political parties.

Patterson's bill proposes raising the minimum residency from 10 to 20 years after the age of 20 - meaning a childhood spend in New Zealand would not count towards the qualification."

I'd also support a bill limiting access to public funded healthcare for immigrants over the age of 30.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12058818
It is a sensible move, but will need some hardship discretions to avoid unduly harsh outcomes (for immigrants and kiwis alike). Despite being marketed as aimed at immigrants, it will also impact long term fleewees, so I assume there will be some consideration of whether they have access to foreign superannuation funds.

More interesting is the philosophical crack it opens on entitlements generally. If NZ citizens are denied access to superannuation on the basis that they weren’t in the country during their most productive years, then it leads (as it already is online) to a discussion of net contributions. In reality a number of expat kiwis will be less of a net drain on the nation’s resources than long term resident kiwis who don’t pay tax.

There is a lot to like about the broad consensus MMP produces on issues like these.

Not only did I suffer through compounding interest while studying now all that work I did as a teenager wont count towards my retirement. :x

Am I correct , you are in oz?
Do your homework on the best performing super funds [ generally union or trade ] and salary sacrifice as much as possible . Review annually the return and select the most aggressive fund that you are comfortable with.

Go for Citizenship asap.

As a nation , NZ has written the book on' how to fuckup retirement planning for those born after 1970'.

If he takes citizenship he can't access that Superannuation until his retirement age, even if he transfers it to a NZ fund.

Kiwis can only transfer it into Kiwisaver, they can't cash it out

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am 

Given the likelihood that Bridges will be knifed in the gut sooner rather than later by some National party Brutus, I've been having a think about who might be potential leadership material

Forget Collins, she's equally unelectable against Jacinda

I think it's inevitable that Nikki Kaye will be involved, perhaps as deputy

But then I was struggling to come up with anyone else, when it really hit home. The modern political cult demands someone young, fresh and good looking - With the right pedigree of course. Just like Trudeau was born into his role, we all know what comes next for NZ

Spoiler: show

Plus he's a way better DJ than Ardern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am 

deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Even as a non citizen? So they double f**k us regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am 

guy smiley wrote:
deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I know the muppets who are supposed to be governing Australia keep fudging with super , BUT it's still a whole lot better than the disaster here.

I believe it's still desirable to set up SMF once the principle becomes substantial [ 80-100k] and seek advice and diversify investment.

There are numerous investments that return 8% or better tax paid , but educating yourself and being proactive are necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am 

Just trying to finalise the details of the the conspiracy. It looks like Ardern deployed the police against Ross in order to prevent further revelations about the influence of foreign donors on New Zealand's political parties. What a cow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am 

Santa wrote:
Just trying to finalise the details of the the conspiracy. It looks like Ardern deployed the police against Ross in order to prevent further revelations about the influence of foreign donors on New Zealand's political parties. What a cow.

Was Greg O'Connor's recruitment step one or do you think this goes back even further?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:54 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Santa wrote:

Was Greg O'Connor's recruitment step one or do you think this goes back even further?

I'd say it goes all the way back to the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:55 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Dark wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Dark wrote:
Anyone else notice something not quite right with that poll?

Slightly embarrassing I would think

Indeed. It's Māori not Maori

Add the numbers up

Apparently they work out percentages of 101%

Welcome to rounding without decimal points.

Dark is taking this week of the Nats meltdown so badly he's reaching for anything. ;)

But can't reach rounding ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am 

Santa wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Santa wrote:

I'd say it goes all the way back to the beginning.

Labour has been controlling the NZ Police ever since they successfully strongarmed Peter Doone into resigning and replaced him with their puppet commissioner Rob Robinson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am 

grouch wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I know the muppets who are supposed to be governing Australia keep fudging with super , BUT it's still a whole lot better than the disaster here.

I believe it's still desirable to set up SMF once the principle becomes substantial [ 80-100k] and seek advice and diversify investment.

There are numerous investments that return 8% or better tax paid , but educating yourself and being proactive are necessary.

I'm not the sort to be errrr...

shall we say good at that. :nod: I'm in an Industry fund that has been returning 8-10% with me directing the allocation across different options at different times. I generally review every quarter. The last two weeks have been disappointing :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 pm 

Shudder!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm 

Santa wrote:

We haven't seen anything like it from an attractive young female leader since Elizabeth Bathory bathed in the blood of 650 transylvanian virgins.

Don't say I didn't warn youse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:17 pm 

deadduck wrote:
The modern political cult demands someone young, fresh and good looking - With the right pedigree of course.

How does Jon Kee fit with that assertion?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm 

Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:
The modern political cult demands someone young, fresh and good looking - With the right pedigree of course.

It's 2018, not 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

National down only 2% after the week from hell

And this

Predicted state of the economy next year
Better State – 33% (down 6%)
Worse State – 41% (up 6%)

The Nats could be led by Adolf and their supporters wouldn't switch, or believe any of the stories.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 pm 

booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:

It's 2018, not 2008.

He was a popular PM when he retired just two years ago.

You should rethink your null hypothesis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

And this

The Nats could be led by Adolf and their supporters wouldn't switch, or believe any of the stories.

Unfortunately this isn't just a trait associated with Nat supporters. It applies to most of the "I'm a party X person and always will be" brigade regardless of who party X is.

They're like rugby supporters who want their team to fail if their favorite player hasn't been selected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 pm 

Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:

He was under 50 and had been on the scene just a couple of years when he stormed to victory in 2008.
And as for good looking, well he was running against Clark - it's all relative.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm 

Quote:

@bryce_edwards
Following Following @bryce_edwards
More
Colmar Brunton poll: Economic Outlook
Optimistic – 33% (down 6%)
Pessimistic – 41% (up 6%)

Interesting.

https://twitter.com/bryce_edwards/statu ... 4052260864

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

And this

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:05 pm 

Dark wrote:
J Man wrote:
National is gone.

They're now losing the "which leader would I rather have a bbq with" contest - which is how people vote.

I doubt it

If anyone were to be worried it would be Winston of getting 5%

If the whole numbers are because of rounding then 3 parties would have to be rounded up to get the extra 1%, and I would guess he is one of them

I doubt it.

that's where they've polled between elections since....... forever?

The significant figure is Labour , up from 37% [ real poll in november 2017] to 47% now [ less than 27% mid 2017].

All this furore that's broken out in past few weeks a complete coincidence???????

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

People don’t just hop the gap between left and right. 90% of the country is wedded to one side of the fence. When Labour shot up in the polls because of Jacinda, she was cannibalising the left. The only possible exception I can think of is Brash’s orewa speech but that was likely all from minor parties too.m (can’t rememeber).

So this poll doesn’t surprise me in the least. National supporters have nowhere to go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Quote:

@bryce_edwards
More

Interesting.

Got any recent polls on Economic outlook , from US, UK, Canada, Australia , China, Botswana.......

Rising US interest rates , trade chaos caused by the Orange Shit Gibbon, Brexit , Italian government giving the fig to monetarist bankers , Brazil , saudi psychopaths

The economic reef fish are all spooked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:13 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

And this

It’s funny you should say that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:22 pm 

Is it just me or does Arden look anything but ‘gutted’ ?

I think she’s playing this very well.

Certainly Key would have been in boots and all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:43 pm 

grouch wrote:
Quote:

@bryce_edwards
More

Interesting.

Got any recent polls on Economic outlook , from US, UK, Canada, Australia , China, Botswana.......

Rising US interest rates , trade chaos caused by the Orange Shit Gibbon, Brexit , Italian government giving the fig to monetarist bankers , Brazil , saudi psychopaths

Quote:
@Mma Precious Ramotswe.
Following Following @Mma Precious Ramotswe.
More
Kalamar Botswan poll: Economic Outlook
Optimistic – 93% (up 6%)
Pessimistic – 4% (down 6%)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 pm 

grouch wrote:
Quote:

@bryce_edwards
More

Interesting.

Quote:
@Mma Precious Ramotswe.
More
Optimistic – 93% (up 6%)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:59 pm 

eugenius wrote:
Is it just me or does Arden look anything but ‘gutted’ ?

I think she’s playing this very well.

Certainly Key would have been in boots and all.

quote="Ted."]Image
[/quote]

Here's your answer.
The appointment of Collins as leader of HM Opposition would be a godsend.

She's got so many skeletons in her walk in wardrobe that the annihalation of Gnational would be guaranteed even by the numpties Cindy has at her disposal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 pm 

Ineresting piece of research on the current crop of MPs and the growing 'professionalisation' of politics.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107964 ... nt-feather

Quote:
What the pair found was that many politicians have little experience outside the bubble of the Beehive and gravity of government work.

Their research revealed that 44 per cent of newcomers in last year's general election had "no definable career" before Parliament, but one in five had some work experience tied to government. That is more obvious within the Labour Party, where a quarter of MPs count government work as a primary career. That was up on 17 per cent in 2010.

"Most of the jobs for MPs tended to be pen-pushing, they were office-bound," says Blackham. "Their work history was largely political, so it was either executive assistants for parliamentarians, researchers, party jobs of some sort, and then people working in government agencies and departments . . . involved in politics."

Few politicians in any of the parties had any experience of the agricultural sector, despite its importance to the country's economy.

The lack of outside experience and a narrow educational background is most pronounced in the new Cabinet, where more than 90 per cent of ministers are university educated and most have strong policy and government backgrounds, and little else.

That meant too many politicians were "over-educated and under-employed", says Blackham. "Those people are time-serving because they've gone from university politics into general party politics."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 pm 

It seems that no matter who you vote for you end up with politicians in Parliament. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:06 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

And this

Spouting nonsense again Enz. Bridges may be a twat but who cares? The fundamental National policies don't change just because he is leader. Unlike Mein Fuhrer the caucus and voters don't swear a blood oath of allegiance to their leader.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 am 

They might in NZ First...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 am 

grouch wrote:
Quote:

@bryce_edwards
More

Interesting.

Quote:
@Mma Precious Ramotswe.
More
Optimistic – 93% (up 6%)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:53 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
People don’t just hop the gap between left and right. 90% of the country is wedded to one side of the fence. When Labour shot up in the polls because of Jacinda, she was cannibalising the left. The only possible exception I can think of is Brash’s orewa speech but that was likely all from minor parties too.m (can’t rememeber).

So this poll doesn’t surprise me in the least. National supporters have nowhere to go.

I think there are more people than you might think that have voted for more than one party, including myself, who will vote for the candidates who they perceive to be best for their region and/or the country.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
It seems that no matter who you vote for you end up with politicians in Parliament. :(

That's chillingly true. :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:58 am 

Ted. wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I think there are more people than you might think that have voted for more than one party, including myself, who will vote for the candidates who they perceive to be best for their region and/or the country.

Yup... swing voters. The appeal of MMP in action, basically.

I fancy a celebrity chocolate wheel style of voting myself, where candidates are strapped to a giant chocolate wheel and spun in front of voters armed with gatling gun style dart throwers. Spin the wheel and hit the trigger folks, everyone wins a prize.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:10 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
They might in NZ First...

:lol: ... I'm sure they do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:55 am 

booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Ardern must be gutted

And this

Spouting nonsense again Enz. Bridges may be a twat but who cares? The fundamental National policies don't change just because he is leader. Unlike Mein Fuhrer the caucus and voters don't swear a blood oath of allegiance to their leader.

Policies?
They've been keeping those close to their chests or are you referring to the ones postulated in 1932 ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437 ... 445  Next