Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496 ... 524  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

You’re right of course. I just get a bit sick of the lefts ongoing obsession with Key.

It's just been page after page of it...

right?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Doesn’t matter when it started. Key has been there long enough to see it fixed so rightly bears responsibility.

But this has nothing to do with politics in NZ. Doesn’t belong in this thread.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way and no amount of protest will change that. An ex PM heading the board of a business being censured for conduct is political news. This thread consistently sees references dredged up from years ago... relevance isn't a matter of personal preference.

I disagree. He’s not in politics. He has no interest to be in politics in the future. The censure was not a political one. The only link is Key, which I guess is fair enough in terms of idle discussion but nothing more than that. Certainly not something try and score points over.

While I don't really give a shit about this, when has this thread ever been strictly current 'politics' in NZ only?

You’re right of course. I just get a bit sick of the lefts ongoing obsession with Key.

As the 'left' got sick of the 'right's' ongoing obsession with "Comrade Helen".

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

right?

This forum is not my only exposure to nz politics.

Edit: disagree uncle, Key got under the skin of a lot of people in a big way. He enjoyed goading and baiting the opposition and his critics have not forgotten. Helen was left too her own devices except when we got excited over her UN work.

Social media has probably exacerbated the Key angst though, so maybe it’s not that unusual.

Last edited by Wilderbeast on Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:55 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

right?

Oh well, that makes it relevant.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 am 

Just know that if I ever come on here with some comment that seems wildly irrelevant and out of proportion, I’ve probably been on Twitter :blush:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

right?

Edit: disagree uncle, Key got under the skin of a lot of people in a big way. He enjoyed goading and baiting the opposition and his critics have not forgotten. Helen was left too her own devices except when we got excited over her UN work.

Social media has probably exacerbated the Key angst though, so maybe it’s not that unusual.

I think you've got rose coloured glasses on the Aunty Helen stuff - hell the speeding to the rugby and paintergate are still regularly brought up (maybe less so now since SeN gave himself the Snap).

I don't really go on social media to see that stuff (rugby forums aside).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Just know that if I ever come on here with some comment that seems wildly irrelevant and out of proportion, I’ve probably been on Twitter :blush:

I try not to let the rampant f**kwittery on social media affect me. I've disconnected from most of it. I'll follow some news sites and get stuff from there that I might use here but the people frantically commenting are usually best left alone. It's a shitstorm.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am 

It’s like drugs. Reading it makes me angry but I just can’t stop myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

I noticed the effect it was having on me. I had a couple of blackouts due to travel in offline territory and it felt great. I pruned an awful lot of stuff away from my online activity and noticed an improvement... I can see the time coming when I've reduced my internet presence to bare essentials and no social media. Even this place is getting so quiet it'll be relatively easy to walk away sometime soonish, I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
You may be sick of it, but by Christ did the righties all jump in when that little link was posted. Guilty conscience by association perhaps.

I laugh how DD reckons I am a Labour Party shill when I voted for them once in the last 4 elections (the last one) - I am definitely an anti-Nat though as I can't stand a government that doesn't look after the disadvantaged, even kicks them when they are down.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I noticed the effect it was having on me. I had a couple of blackouts due to travel in offline territory and it felt great. I pruned an awful lot of stuff away from my online activity and noticed an improvement... I can see the time coming when I've reduced my internet presence to bare essentials and no social media. Even this place is getting so quiet it'll be relatively easy to walk away sometime soonish, I reckon.

Even the rugby discussion? Your precious Crusaders? The Mighty Men in Black? :?

I can imagine giving up threads like this where it can get a bit antagonistic but I love reading the rugby discussion. This thread is interesting though and it's good to get different perspectives. Plus some of you guys are intelligent plum. I learn some good info on here which I can then palm off as my own material in pub conversations. ;)

Last edited by booji boy on Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Well done mate :thumbup: I've toyed with the idea of giving up twitter. It would certainly mean I'm using my phone less and I'd probably be a bit less cranky. But what did people used to do when waiting for a coffee or the train or riding the elevator?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am 

They used to get bored.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Well done mate :thumbup: I've toyed with the idea of giving up twitter. It would certainly mean I'm using my phone less and I'd probably be a bit less cranky. But what did people used to do when waiting for a coffee or the train or riding the elevator?

I was waiting for a coffee in Wildbean today and a big Maori boy wearing a swandri and covered in tats was on his phone also waiting for a coffee. I felt like asking him exactly that question. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:44 am 

Enzedder wrote:
You may be sick of it, but by Christ did the righties all jump in when that little link was posted. Guilty conscience by association perhaps.

I laugh how DD reckons I am a Labour Party shill when I voted for them once in the last 4 elections (the last one) - I am definitely an anti-Nat though as I can't stand a government that doesn't look after the disadvantaged, even kicks them when they are down.

Like what- examples please

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 am 

brat wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Like what- examples please

Sanctions on beneficiaries.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 am 

Didn't they also increase the benefit?

I remember something about sanctions as well but not the details. Was it mainly for things like not disclosing the father's name or turning up to potential employment opportunities? That sort of rings a bell, although it might pre-date the last government.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

I remember something about sanctions as well but not the details. Was it mainly for things like not disclosing the father's name or turning up to potential employment opportunities? That sort of rings a bell, although it might pre-date the last government.

The previous government put sanctions in place back in 2013 I think?

https://www.msd.govt.nz/about-msd-and-o ... tions.html

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:00 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

The only thing your achieving is upping your blood pressure.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 am 

Tehui wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

The previous government put sanctions in place back in 2013 I think?

https://www.msd.govt.nz/about-msd-and-o ... tions.html

Section 70a (around naming the father) was beefed up by Labour in 2004-2005. https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/new ... ame-father

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:29 am 

Interesting graph. Appears to have been a downward trend in the number of sanctions issues over the period shown. I.e from 2014 to now.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:37 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

:lol:

We were better at not needing to be 'stimulated' by information so much. You'd read a book, the paper or listen to music. I have a twitter profile that I've never used outside of being able to read a whole thread. I rarely visit twitter aside from using the odd post I spot on reddit for a discussion in here.

I used to enjoy the shitfight aspect of this place, it was so much fun. Now I think it's rubbed off on me to the point I tend to be combative before reflective and that's not where I want to be as a person.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:16 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

right?

I think you've got rose coloured glasses on the Aunty Helen stuff - hell the speeding to the rugby and paintergate are still regularly brought up (maybe less so now since SeN gave himself the Snap).

I don't really go on social media to see that stuff (rugby forums aside).

Those were things she did when she was a current Prime Minister and are usually only brought up as counterpoints.
No one is trawling the news looking for things in her post-politics life to try and smear Labour with.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 am 

Tehui wrote:

Heaven forbid people receiving government support might have some obligations asked of them in return. Just small ones too, like not lying to MSD and acting in good faith by using the money for the purposes it was given.

Just this week it emerged that MSD had stooped to covertly gathering information about people who were fraudulently claiming benefits and ripping off not just the NZ public in general, but every person who is ever denied the assistance they genuinely need due to the increased scrutiny required to filter out the fraudsters.

I suppose if you guys are happy enough to blame ANZ's poor risk strategy on John Key you will be equally happy to blame the MSD spying on beneficiaries on Jacinda Ardern. She really loves kicking those beneficiaries when they're down.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:37 am 

Quote:
About 134,000 people are receiving jobseeker support, an 8.3 percent jump from last year.

About 8500 sanctions were applied in the December 2018 quarter, a decrease of more than 6000 compared to the previous year.

National's Social Development spokesperson Louise Upston said the blame lay with the government, which was too soft on benefit sanctions.

"Over the past year there has been a 42 percent decline in the number of people who have been sanctioned for failing to meet the basic criteria which goes with receiving taxpayers' money. That includes simply turning up to appointments," Ms Upston said.

"Given that unemployment has decreased, it's inexplicable that the number of people on a jobseeker benefit would increase so rapidly and that the government would make it easier for people to avoid work."

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/380 ... -sanctions

Yes, let's implement more sanctions against the most vulnerable in society. That will show them, and then they'll stop playing up.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:59 am 

deadduck wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Heaven forbid people receiving government support might have some obligations asked of them in return. Just small ones too, like not lying to MSD and acting in good faith by using the money for the purposes it was given.

Just this week it emerged that MSD had stooped to covertly gathering information about people who were fraudulently claiming benefits and ripping off not just the NZ public in general, but every person who is ever denied the assistance they genuinely need due to the increased scrutiny required to filter out the fraudsters.

I suppose if you guys are happy enough to blame ANZ's poor risk strategy on John Key you will be equally happy to blame the MSD spying on beneficiaries on Jacinda Ardern. She really loves kicking those beneficiaries when they're down.

Was she in power in 2012, when this practise commenced?

Quote:
Since 2012, the ministry has been bypassing beneficiaries and going to third parties for information.

Mr Edwards said that's allowed fraud investigators to collect large amounts of highly sensitive information about beneficiaries without their knowledge.

The information collected included text messages, domestic violence and other police records, banking information and other billing records.

As part of the inquiry, Mr Edwards said they reviewed MSD files that contained text messages between couples, of a sexual or intimate nature.

"In one instance, a beneficiary described to us how MSD obtained, from a telecommunications company, an intimate picture shared by that individual with a sexual partner. The photograph was then produced at an interview by MSD investigators seeking an explanation for it."

Mr Edwards said thousands of beneficiaries had likely been affected by the practice, which had infringed their privacy.

"Due to poor record keeping practices and inconsistencies between fraud teams, we have been unable to establish whether the ministry has been bypassing beneficiaries in all fraud investigations or only those categorised as 'high risk'," he said.

Mr Edwards also pointed out that MSD investigated thousands of fraud allegations each year.

Of those, a large proportion result in no formal finding of fraud.

All those people fraudulently claiming benefits, you said?

It's an unfortunate and popular ploy by conservatives to 'blame' the vulnerable like beneficiaries for supposed welfare fraud when investigations often reveal a very low incidence of that occurring.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:16 am 

deadduck wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Jacinda is not the minister of social development, which is probably the closest approximation to John Key chairing the board(?)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 am 

Guy, no she wasn't in power when it was put in place. I think that's DD's point.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:23 am 

If so it's almost an own goal then...

the philosophy driving the MSD is being improved under the current govt. The bank has had to be censured to reach standard.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 am 

You might need to try that reflective style you were talking about rather than the combative. As I think you might still be missing his point.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 am 

Not a good look in Parliament at present with widespread accusations of bullying, 14 allegations of sexual assault and one of rape (5 years ago). Seems like the worst incident lies with parliamentary services and someone has been stood down as a result, but I wonder how fault much lies with MPs egos in setting the tone.

Quote:
A female staffer reported a historical allegation of rape by a colleague to Parliament bosses last year.

Stuff has learned details of the incident, which happened about five years ago. The attack was also reported to the Francis Review, which this week revealed a toxic workplace with a systematic bullying problem.

Parliamentary Service have confirmed an allegation of assault was made at the time, but said the original investigation was not into allegations of rape.

Both staff members continued to work at Parliament, but neither are MPs. They worked within the same unit, which Stuff has chosen not to name.

Speaker Trevor Mallard said on Wednesday afternoon a staff member was stood down on Tuesday, following an historical allegation of assault.

He did not elaborate further.

It is understood the woman gave a statement, which she then chose to withdraw. Despite that, Parliamentary Service, which employs around 1000 people, continued with its investigation.

But that was ultimately unsuccessful.

Stuff understands the woman also spoke to independent reviewer Debbie Francis.

The accused man was never formally accused of any other sexual assaults but was "notorious" for sexist behaviour, Stuff understands.

The alleged incident had been previously investigated but, after a direct approach from the complainant to Parliamentary Service general manager Rafael Gonzalez-Montero, he reopened the investigation on Wednesday.

Gonzalez-Montero said he would not comment further on an ongoing employment investigation but, on the advice of employment lawyers, the decision was made to stand down the staff member.

Francis conducted her review under conditions of anonymity and has repeatedly refused to be drawn on details, beyond what is in her report.

She said there were 11 current staff and three former staff who reported sexual assault in an online survey completed by 1000 people. More than 100 reported unwanted touching, or sexual advances, 20 had received messages of a sexual nature and two experienced sexual coercion.

She also conducted interviews with employees, past and present. Five reported sexual assault to her and all the allegations involved male on female violence.

"Three of the alleged incidents disclosed to me in interviews were in my view extremely serious and some appeared to be part of a multi-year pattern of predatory behaviour."

Speaker Trevor Mallard has said he believes some of the allegations amounted to rape.

His impression from the report was that one person was involved in the three extremely serious incidents.

Earlier on Wednesday, Mallard said he did not know who it was, whether it was an MP or staff, and was unaware whether the police knew the person's identity.

Stuff revealed in April that seven parliamentary staffers complained about sexual harassment between 2015-2018.

One accused employee was sacked, and another kept their job after apologising to complainants, according to statistics provided by the Office of the Clerk and Parliamentary Service.

Parliamentary Service said there were three separate complaints of sexual harassment from four women and two men between 2015 and 2018.

"In each instance, the service conducted formal employment investigations into each of the complaints of sexual harassment," a spokesman said.

"In the first instance, the complaint was not upheld and no formal disciplinary action was taken.

"In the second instance, the complaints were upheld, the employee apologised for their behaviour to the complainants and no formal disciplinary was taken.

"In the third instance, the complaint was upheld and the employee's employment with the service ended."

Parliamentary Service provides administrative support to MPs and deals with staff, salaries and expenses. It also manages historic buildings around the Wellington precinct. The Office of the Clerk helps MPs with advice on parliamentary procedure and legislation, and runs select committees.

About 40 staff have left Parliamentary Service since Christmas, with more than a dozen claiming they resigned after being bullied.

Stuff
l

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am 

Couple of things we do know

The report was needed

Mallard is a complete idiot who handled the whole thing today like a complete twat

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:02 am 

Its sounds like a dysfunctional organisational culture has existed at parliamentary services for sometime. I genuinely think this is more of an organsiational issue, rather than a political partisan one.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 am 

Tehui wrote:
Its sounds like a dysfunctional organisational culture has existed at parliamentary services for sometime. I genuinely think this is more of an organsiational issue, rather than a political partisan one.

TBF I think all places with a work force the size of Parliamentary services, you are going to get a few rogue nutter scum.

Would probably have the same result if you did it with the defence forces, DHBs and police (though the police probably not so much as there is more vetting)

Most people have the example of one of the teachers at their school shagging students

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 am 

The report mentions power imbalance as a big issue iirc. VIPs with a inflated sense of entitlement vs lowly staffers who feel powerless. Not a recipe for a safe working environment.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 am 

Dark wrote:
Tehui wrote:

TBF I think all places with a work force the size of Parliamentary services, you are going to get a few rogue nutter scum.

Would probably have the same result if you did it with the defence forces, DHBs and police (though the police probably not so much as there is more vetting)

Most people have the example of one of the teachers at their school shagging students

Whilst I agree with both of you I seriously doubt you'd be pulling the same "it probably happens everywhere" shtick if Labour were in power five years ago :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Dark wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Whilst I agree with both of you I seriously doubt you'd be pulling the same "it probably happens everywhere" shtick if Labour were in power five years ago :roll:

:?

I am far from a fan of this govt.

I think I have shown that quite clearly

Whoever was in power, Parliamentary Services is an independent organisation.

Apart from budgets and certain pressuring on managers from the speaker, the sitting govt has sweet f a responsibility over them.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 am 

Dark wrote:

The report was needed

Mallard is a complete idiot who handled the whole thing today like a complete twat

Interesting - how would you have handled it?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:

The report was needed

Interesting - how would you have handled it?

Probably not much better.

But then I haven't got his experience and hoards of advisors

What I wouldn't do is announce there is a repeat rapist working at parliament, who has committed rape at parliament, who is still working there and he isn't going to the police, and he can't say who it is.... no more questions

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 am 

You're the only one really thinking that - there was one huge proviso to the people coming forward - can you remember back to earlier today what that may be?

Reminder - they do not wish to lay a complaint and the details of their comments were confidential (I am not even sure if Mallard knows them to be frank).

The report was released so he had to make comment, but there was little he could say about the assaults

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496 ... 524  Next