Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 579  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
There is no problem with plastics. If it goes in a landfill or is recycled then that is fine. And 99% of it does.

Go after littering if you care about it going into the ecosystem.

Just heard on the radio that our landfill model is effectively at ‘breaking point! !

Fine ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am 

And then there's that old landfill down near Fox Glacier that got ripped apart by a flood and decades old rubbish ended up strewn over the central West Coast. Nup - I'd rather as little went to landfill as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:21 am 

Well that particular piece of badly rushed law was worth a hundred odd mill'

:roll:

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1912/ ... ailure.htm

Quote:
Results are in, gun buy-back scheme a failure

The gun buy-back scheme has been a failure and the blame for that is squarely on the Government, National’s Justice spokesperson Mark Mitchell says.

“The gun buy-back amnesty closes today and the Government hasn’t even managed to buy back anywhere near the number of firearms it was aiming for.

“Advice from Police and independent experts KPMG pointed to the number of banned firearms in New Zealand as high as between 170,000-240,000 firearms. This matches commentary from firearm stakeholders as well.

“The only people who argue against this information are Government Ministers desperate to make their rushed job look like a success.

“As of today, Police estimate they have received over 50,000 firearms, but this is less than a third of what Police advised could be out there.

“I’d like to acknowledge the work of the Police. It’s clear why only a small number of firearms have been handed back and it’s on the Government that rushed the process, wasn’t clear on requirements, changed the prohibited list during the programme and failed to engage with the firearms community.

“The Government made a mistake in targeting law-abiding firearms owners when they should’ve targeted the gangs who peddle misery in communities across New Zealand.

“The result is a lot of confusion and lack of engagement. The buy-back has arguably been one of the Government’s most important policies. This is yet another failure to deliver.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:24 am 

Fancy that. Stupid kneejerk reaction to an isolated incident gets laughed at and ignored.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:28 am 

They'll get my AR from my cold dead hands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 am 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12295775

Power play: Government bolsters green fleet, almost half of all ministerial cars now an EV

Quote:
Jason Walls is a political reporter for the New Zealand Herald

The Government is promising to ditch diesel-powered ministerial cars and is immediately purchasing another six new electric SUVs for the fleet.

The new vehicles will mean that roughly 40 per cent of the 72-vehicle ministerial Crown fleet is either fully electric, or a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. That's up from 2 per cent when the current Government took over in 2017.

As well as the new six vehicles, the Government is promising to replace the remaining diesel-powered cars with a greener option over the next two years. The cost of the new SUVs - as well as the replacements of the rest of the fleet - has not been released.

The move follows a surge in the number of Kiwis buying electric vehicles. According to figures from the Ministry of Transport, there are now more than 18,000 EVs on New Zealand's roads.

One of them is driven by National leader Simon Bridges, who made the switch in 2016 when he was Transport Minister.

The number of electric vehicles in New Zealand has been increasing rapidly. In 2016, there were just 2380 EV cars on the road, compared with almost 6000 in 2017 and 11,000 in 2018. The most popular EV is the Nissan Leaf and the majority of EVs are registered in Auckland, according to the data.

The Minister Responsible for Ministerial Services, Chris Hipkins, told the Herald that electric vehicles (EVs) offer potentially massive benefits to both the environment and the Government's back pocket.

"Low emission, environmentally sustainable, fit for purpose transport is an important priority for the Government," he said.

"We are playing a leadership role and intend to transition the full Crown car fleet to emissions-free vehicles by 2025/26."

Hipkins said that a transition over this period allows time for the electric market to grow. It also would help ensure taxpayers get value for money.

The Government also planned to establish more EV infrastructure including, such charging stations, over the coming years.

"In the meantime, we expect the new electric-powered vehicles to be used for urban trips within the main centres," Hipkins said.

Earlier this year, the Government unveiled a feebate scheme to encourage people to buy greener vehicles. The Government announced it would slash the price of imported electric and hybrid vehicles by up to $8000. But it is also planning to slap a new fee of up to $3000 on the import of vehicles with the highest greenhouse gas emissions.

"Most Kiwis want to buy a car that's good for the environment, but tell us the upfront cost and limited choice makes it a challenge," Associate Transport Minister Julie Anne Genter said at the time.

But a cabinet paper looking into the scheme revealed a plan which would have put an extra up to $2000 in the back pocket of Kiwis buying electric cars was scrapped by the Government as it was considered to be "poor value for money".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:01 pm 

:yawn:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm 

Quote:
Last week Beehive insiders told leading political journalists that the “Year of Delivery” promise was actually a spin-line produced on the fly by the PM’s top spin doctor to get his boss out of a tight situation when she needed something memorable to say at the start of 2019. The explanation from the Beehive was to convey that it’s not actually fair to hold the PM to account for a catchphrase that was never intended to be taken so seriously.

It is extraordinary that something presented as a solemn promise to the electorate is now being explained away as nothing more than a manufactured PR soundbite. But, in fact, this episode perfectly epitomises the year in politics – showing how PR has come to dominate.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -substance

Pathetic, grandiosely calls it the "year of delivery" now her media advisors try to desperately spin it when it was an abject failure.
She really is just an empty hollow shell of a person like almost all career politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm 

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Quote:
Last week Beehive insiders told leading political journalists that the “Year of Delivery” promise was actually a spin-line produced on the fly by the PM’s top spin doctor to get his boss out of a tight situation when she needed something memorable to say at the start of 2019. The explanation from the Beehive was to convey that it’s not actually fair to hold the PM to account for a catchphrase that was never intended to be taken so seriously.

It is extraordinary that something presented as a solemn promise to the electorate is now being explained away as nothing more than a manufactured PR soundbite. But, in fact, this episode perfectly epitomises the year in politics – showing how PR has come to dominate.

Pathetic, grandiosely calls it the "year of delivery" now her media advisors try to desperately spin it when it was an abject failure.
She really is just an empty hollow shell of a person like almost all career politicians.

The most ridiculous experiment in human leadership since Nero made his horse senator. She is so fucking useless it makes stones bleed in anguish. I wonder what darts through her brain from day to day - it's been quite a strange ride for her - I don't think much of this is necessarily her fault. She is just being herself.

NZers will do the right thing and put this useless nag of a govt out of its misery.

That will have international observers scratching their heads in wonder: but, but the Guardian told us that Jacinda was a cross between Mother Theresa, Angela Merkel and Charlemagne . . . what happened?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Quote:

The most ridiculous experiment in human leadership since Nero made his horse senator. She is so fucking useless it makes stones bleed in anguish. I wonder what darts through her brain from day to day - it's been quite a strange ride for her - I don't think much of this is necessarily her fault. She is just being herself.

NZers will do the right thing and put this useless nag of a govt out of its misery.

That will have international observers scratching their heads in wonder: but, but the Guardian told us that Jacinda was a cross between Mother Theresa, Angela Merkel and Charlemagne . . . what happened?

I tend to agree, a term as an opposition leader would have helped her alot.

I spent xmas with people from overseas and her name came up, I pointed out that apart from a speech on march 15 that I think could have been made just as effectively by any pm we've had in the past 20 years she's achieved nothing of note nor is likely too and the nauseating coverage overseas is based on nothing of any substance . The other kiwis there were labour fanboys and didn't even offer up a counter argument, rape culture in the party, kiwibuild , Auckland light rail, the worst health minister in generations etc etc

The nine years of neglect tag could equally apply to the labour party , what exactly were they doing all that time? They certainly weren't rebuilding or formulating policy, the real focus was more likely overseas junkets and enjoying parliamentary perks .

The notion that with another three years in office they might actually turn things around is laughable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 pm 

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Quote:

I spent xmas with people from overseas and her name came up, I pointed out that apart from a speech on march 15 that I think could have been made just as effectively by any pm we've had in the past 20 years she's achieved nothing of note nor is likely too and the nauseating coverage overseas is based on nothing of any substance . The other kiwis there were labour fanboys and didn't even offer up a counter argument, rape culture in the party, kiwibuild , Auckland light rail, the worst health minister in generations etc etc

The nine years of neglect tag could equally apply to the labour party , what exactly were they doing all that time? They certainly weren't rebuilding or formulating policy, the real focus was more likely overseas junkets and enjoying parliamentary perks .

The notion that with another three years in office they might actually turn things around is laughable.

The media is the same all across the west. They're forever groping and grasping for 'West Wing' leadership. They want Obama, Justin, Jacinda etc as leaders, because those are the kind of leaders that are likely to invite them to their private home New Year's Eve parties. These are leaders literally plucked from within their own class. The bias is more than a feature even - it goes right down into the bones and cells of the media class. They are combatants in pursuit of power for their people.

Any political leaders from outside this class get excoriated from pillar to post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 pm 

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Quote:

The media is the same all across the west. They're forever groping and grasping for 'West Wing' leadership. They want Obama, Justin, Jacinda etc as leaders, because those are the kind of leaders that are likely to invite them to their private home New Year's Eve parties. These are leaders literally plucked from within their own class. The bias is more than a feature even - it goes right down into the bones and cells of the media class. They are combatants in pursuit of power for their people.

Any political leaders from outside this class get excoriated from pillar to post.

The media here are a biased farce .I'm not sure if you ever saw John Campbell interview John Key about the GCSB . Helen Clark nailled it completely when she called him a " sanctimonious little creep" , there were conspiracy theories Key forced tv3 to sack him , Hillary Barry cried on air when she announced the news of the sainted JC going from one highly paid media job to another highly paid media job and once he got onto RNZ he became even worse.
This was actually a significant achievement considering how bad Campbell live was, [it was still having BCA complaints upheld months after it went off air] if you thought the interviews with Len Brown and Key were journalism in NZ reaching its absolute nadir I urge you to check out his interview with Meteria Turei when her child's extended family threatened to go public with evidence of her lying. You'll need a strong stomach, it's obvious by the simpering tone of his voice he is actually holding back tears.

Video, Key bats away Campbell time and again easily. Campbell took to twitter immediately afterwards to claim victory until Brian Edwards shot him down and told him it was awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZCrxcte14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 am 

This went under the radar

Labour have decided they want to turn our kids into paranoid activist drones

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... icism.html

Quote:
New climate change curriculum: Lessons on Greta Thunberg and dealing with 'scepticism'

A new climate change teaching resource includes lessons on Greta Thunberg, dealing with "scepticism", understanding feelings about climate change, and advice to eat less meat.

The new Ministry of Education resource available for New Zealand students in years 7-10 tells them climate scientists agree that "humanity is responsible for the vast majority of the enhanced greenhouse effect".

It includes eight lessons on topics such as understanding the difference between climate and weather, how climate change could affect New Zealand, and New Zealand's current commitments to tackling the issue.

Teachers are also provided a "wellbeing guide" to "help them navigate the delivery of climate change scientific content, whilst maintaining the wellbeing/hauora of students".

Students who choose to take the course will learn about understanding their feelings about climate change and how it will have "direct and indirect impacts on psychological wellbeing".

"Learning and understanding about climate change affects people even without exposure to a direct event, and may create anxiety, depression, despair, aggression and a host of other emotional upheavals."

The resource says climate-related extreme weather events could cause stress, anxiety, grief, social tension, feelings of displacement, relationship conflicts, cognitive decline, problems with alcohol and drugs, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

In one lesson, students are asked to get in groups and "choose one climate change feeling response (their own or imaginary)" and consider feelings associated with climate change.

"During this discussion, reinforce key messages about feelings and highlight how our feelings are linked to thinking, physical responses, action and the environment," the curriculum says.

Students are taught how to psychologically adapt to climate change in three steps:

"Understanding and knowledge leads to acknowledgement and acceptance of the issue."
    "Coping strategies to manage the feelings and thoughts."
    "Active engagement and action where we change and adjust behaviours in order to reduce climate change impacts."

Students are also instructed on how to communicate with people who aren't convinced that the climate is changing or that humans are impacting the changing climate significantly.

"As the students learn more about climate change, they may also hear, read about, or speak with, those who disagree with the science behind climate change," the resource says.

"This could cause confusion and anxiety, especially if it appears that because of that denial or lack of understanding, the urgent action required to mitigate and adapt to climate change is stalled."

The syllabus provides a list of "myths" that have been "busted" by scientists - although it does not provide a source on the page.

An example of a "myth" provided in the resource: "Humans are too insignificant to affect global climate". The answer: "Humans are small but powerful, and human CO2 emissions are causing global warming."

Students are instructed on how to "respectfully disagree" with someone who is "yet to be convinced" about climate change.

The resource tells students to "stay calm" and to "avoid putting down other person's ideas and beliefs". It also instructs them to not make it personal, to "listen to the other point of view", and to use "I" statements to communicate how they feel.

The students are then instructed to participate in an activity called "myth buster role-play" where one student will be the 'activist' for climate change and the other the 'sceptic'.

The syllabus includes a YouTube video of Swedish teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg, who last year rallied students across the world - including New Zealand - to protest against inaction from leaders.

"At a young age, Greta Thunberg recognised that there was a huge disconnect between the evidence from climate experts and the actions being taken in society," the resource says. "Frustrated by this lack of action, she decided to take matters into her own hands."

The curriculum cites various sources including the Ministry for the Environment, Stats NZ, the Department of Conservation, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the United Nations Environment Program's climate body.

Students are taught New Zealand's commitments, including the 2015 Paris Agreement, the purpose of which is to keep the global average temperature well below 2degC above pre-industrial levels, while pursuing efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5degC.

Students are also told New Zealand is already experiencing higher land and sea temperatures as a result of the warming climate.

"The sea rose 14 to 22 centimetres in the last century, the oceans are acidifying, there is more sunshine, and the country's glaciers have lost a quarter of their ice in the past 40 years."

It also tells students how they can help to reduce emissions, including driving and flying less, reducing electricity use, eating less meat and dairy, planting trees and conserving water.

"Social scientists have found that when one person makes a sustainability-oriented decision, other people do too."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 am 

Teaching kids how to deal with hysteria and sensationalism can only be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:23 am 

The kids will know more than 99% of the adults.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:33 am 

To be honest, given the amount of mental health issues seen in tertiary education these days, I'll support anything that helps school kids to gain some resilience and help them look after their own wellbeing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:32 pm 

Dark wrote:

Quote:

The gun buy-back scheme has been a failure and the blame for that is squarely on the Government, National’s Justice spokesperson Mark Mitchell says.

“The gun buy-back amnesty closes today and the Government hasn’t even managed to buy back anywhere near the number of firearms it was aiming for.

“Advice from Police and independent experts KPMG pointed to the number of banned firearms in New Zealand as high as between 170,000-240,000 firearms. This matches commentary from firearm stakeholders as well.

“The only people who argue against this information are Government Ministers desperate to make their rushed job look like a success.

“As of today, Police estimate they have received over 50,000 firearms, but this is less than a third of what Police advised could be out there.

“I’d like to acknowledge the work of the Police. It’s clear why only a small number of firearms have been handed back and it’s on the Government that rushed the process, wasn’t clear on requirements, changed the prohibited list during the programme and failed to engage with the firearms community.

“The Government made a mistake in targeting law-abiding firearms owners when they should’ve targeted the gangs who peddle misery in communities across New Zealand.

“The result is a lot of confusion and lack of engagement. The buy-back has arguably been one of the Government’s most important policies. This is yet another failure to deliver.”

Oh look, let's blame the law and the lawmaker's rather than the crims. Fuck me, what an ignorant twat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:36 pm 

In other news:

ACT leader David ...
Quote:
Seymour has announced a "Make Aotearoa Great Again" event for Waitangi Day

Seymour has announced the best deal ever has been secured for campaign hats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:11 pm 

If the Government passed a law making egg beaters illegal would you hand yours in Ted?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:15 pm 

By the way, I read in the news today an article about HMNZS Rotoiti and Pukaki.
What a hilarious case of mismanagement, I'm surprised more wasn't made of it at the time. Cost the bloody taxpayers $72 million for 3 years of service.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 am 

Ted. wrote:
In other news:

ACT leader David ...
Quote:
Seymour has announced a "Make Aotearoa Great Again" event for Waitangi Day

Seymour has announced the best deal ever has been secured for campaign hats.

After last year wouldn't be surprised if Seymour got in more MPs

Would never vote for him, but he did more than most other MPs

Will be funny watching the lefts reaction when Labour gift Shane Jones a seat to get them in given their bitching over Seymour

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:09 am 

Most perceived new support will fade come election time and fear sets in.

I love watching my disenchanted Nat voting friends switch to NZF and Act everytime they get the shits with National only to freak out at election time they'll be wasting their vote and inevitably return to their blue masters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 am 

deadduck wrote:
If the Government passed a law making egg beaters illegal would you hand yours in Ted?

Fuck me, that's a low didn't expect you to go to bro.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 am 

deadduck wrote:
What a hilarious case of mismanagement, I'm surprised more wasn't made of it at the time. Cost the bloody taxpayers $72 million for 3 years of service.

You forgot the worst bit that in the 3 years of service they were only at sea for 9 months each. $72 million purchase price, 9 months at sea and selling for $20 million

Quote:
Global Work Boats stated in its advertisement that the engines on Rotoiti and Pukaki only had between 5000 and 6000 hours on the clock, which would suggest they spent less than nine months at sea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 am 

UncleFB wrote:
deadduck wrote:

You haven't been paying attention, Uncle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:16 am 

UncleFB wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Is this a reference to the bacon and egg pie thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:38 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Is this a reference to the bacon and egg pie thread?

Hmmm, did I get whooshed?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:59 am 

Not sure, but I know Ted was (correctly) against the common consensus of whole yolks in B&E pie. I thought that was the reference unless I missed something more obvious?

Edit: dd is in the same thread and he does not appear to be a fan of beating the eggs. Pretty sure that’s what he’s referring to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Not sure, but I know Ted was (correctly) against the common consensus of whole yolks in B&E pie. I thought that was the reference unless I missed something more obvious?

Edit: dd is in the same thread and he does not appear to be a fan of beating the eggs. Pretty sure that’s what he’s referring to.

In that case I got completely whooshed. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:47 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:03 am 

Are you saying Ted is the kind of guy who wears an egg beater singlet? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:15 am 

I'm not saying that this is a genuine photo of Ted...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:33 am 

That's not a singlet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 pm 

booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

It's hardly my fault that I don't keep up on the goings on of all the dark threads. :x

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm 

deadduck wrote:

He'd still use a fork to beat up his eggs for the pie the palestine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 pm 

UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

It's hardly my fault that I don't keep up on the goings on of all the dark threads. :x

:D

You should be participating in, or at least reading, the board's cutting edge threads that deal with the burning issues. :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92917

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:06 am 

Ted. wrote:
Dark wrote:

Quote:

Oh look, let's blame the law and the lawmaker's rather than the crims. Fuck me, what an ignorant twat.

Who are the crims? Gangs, gun owners or the Aussie terrorist?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:02 am 

JPNZ wrote:
deadduck wrote:

You forgot the worst bit that in the 3 years of service they were only at sea for 9 months each. $72 million purchase price, 9 months at sea and selling for $20 million

Quote:
Global Work Boats stated in its advertisement that the engines on Rotoiti and Pukaki only had between 5000 and 6000 hours on the clock, which would suggest they spent less than nine months at sea.

fudge me a decent kingfish charter operation will get through that in 18 months or so, and the boat's in the shed overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:48 am 

part-time opposition leader Brudges is holidaying it up in the Philippines, trying to cosy up to filipino Nazi supporters. What is it with National leaders receiving the ball on a gold plate and dropping it in sight of the line???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 am 

Kahu wrote:
part-time opposition leader Brudges is holidaying it up in the Philippines, trying to cosy up to filipino Nazi supporters. What is it with National leaders receiving the ball on a gold plate and dropping it in sight of the line???

Not sure

But it is going to be funny watching where ever she is this week Jacinda explaining spending 40 million on ihumatao in the next few days

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 579  Next