Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 pm 

The NHL Draft is tonight.

Devils and Rangers won so that get the studs. Canucks are picking 10th, who cares about the other Canadian franchises.

Questions to answer for the upcoming season:

Which Hughes will win the Calder, Jack or Quinn?
Can the Canucks actually improve their D enough to make the playoffs?
Will the Flames ever figure out that goaltending and team chemistry thing?
How will the Laughs solve their salary cap crisis?
Will the Canadiens welcome back Subban with open arms?
How long into the season will McDavid demand a trade?
Will the Senators trade another 1st round pick without lottery protection?
Have the Jets missed their window?

Who will win the cup?
Which American franchises will threaten to move to Quebec City this year?
How many ownership changes will the Coyotes have this year?
Will the Hurricanes carry on with their post game celebrations?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm 

Quote:
Which American franchises will threaten to move to Quebec City this year?

I don’t know but having been by the Florida Panthers arena a number of times I can’t think of a worse place for a hockey team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm 

at least with the Coyotes, they finally got an owner who has real money to give some stability. Plus their team is on the edge of being very good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:53 pm 

Thread title :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Canny.

I'm having trouble being an optimist for next season. And I am surprised at the lack of attention the draft is getting here. Disappointed actually.

When does the Seattle franchise get going?

Not sure Bettman is sold on Quebec - they speak a different language and the like . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 pm 

Canucks win the cup . - you heard it here first.....

PS - that is the U 14 Surrey Canucks ringette team my neighbours kids plays on......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:16 pm 

Snooze wrote:
Thread title :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Canny.

I'm having trouble being an optimist for next season. And I am surprised at the lack of attention the draft is getting here. Disappointed actually.

When does the Seattle franchise get going?

Not sure Bettman is sold on Quebec - they speak a different language and the like . .

Seattle joins the year after....

Wonder if they will realign again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:29 pm 

RE: The draft. I have seen the Dach kid play a few times. He is a good-looking prospect, lots of tools, great size. I am not a fan of the 18 year old draft, but a talented late teen in hockey can make the show quicker than in baseball or football.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:24 pm 

PK traded by the Preds to the Devils. Marleau to the Canes from the Leafs. Money deals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:25 pm 

Canucks get JT Miller from Tampa Bay for a 1st (lottery protected next year), 3rd and a goalie prospect. Benning is clearly gunning for the playoffs, likely feeling the heat from The A Team. (The Aquilini Group has just been hit with a massive tax bill: Beware the CRA, boys.) I know little about Miller, but the Canucks need more goals from their forwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 am 

JT Miller was my favourite Ranger when he was with us. Hope he goes well in Vancouver.

The Kaapo Kakko era is here in NY! It's going to be a great rivalry with the Hughes (and Subban) Devils. Rangers 1st round pick last year Kravtsov is also coming over from the KHL, so there is hope we will have quite the attack even if Panarin signs with Florida and not us.

Rumours of Kreider and Vesey being traded. Will be interesting to see what they return. We could also do with re-jigging our defense further, as we are lop sided on the right side and have deadweight in Smith and Staal to buyout. One or two rookie Dmen could also come through this year.

A deadline day trade away of Lundqvist might also happen if we are still short of playoffs this year. Give him a last shot for the cup and get us some more assets with his heir Shestyorkin, already arrived in NY. I'm feeling optimistic too. Looking for a year of improvement and development of a good young core (Ziba, Lias, Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnavich)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:22 pm 

Really like the Canucks pick at 10, he clearly dropped due to being signed by his KHL club for 2 more years. Rumour is that he can get out of it after 1 but we'll see.

As for the Miller trade, I thought it was a huge overpayment at first but have come around to it. Would rather have seen a 2nd go back to Tampa than the first but at least it is lottery protected for next season.

I think the Canucks are signing Myers on July 1st, mixed on that. Also expect a trade for another D man before the seasons tarts. Wouldn't be surprised to see Virtanen and Tanev packaged together to a contender for a young D man coming back to us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:53 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Really like the Canucks pick at 10, he clearly dropped due to being signed by his KHL club for 2 more years. Rumour is that he can get out of it after 1 but we'll see.

As for the Miller trade, I thought it was a huge overpayment at first but have come around to it. Would rather have seen a 2nd go back to Tampa than the first but at least it is lottery protected for next season.

I think the Canucks are signing Myers on July 1st, mixed on that. Also expect a trade for another D man before the seasons tarts. Wouldn't be surprised to see Virtanen and Tanev packaged together to a contender for a young D man coming back to us.

The head NHL lapdog in the Canadian hockey media, John Shannon, just said on Hockey Central that Myers was in Vancouver yesterday and the meeting went "very well."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:55 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

The head NHL lapdog in the Canadian hockey media, John Shannon, just said on Hockey Central that Myers was in Vancouver yesterday and the meeting went "very well."

I will be shocked if he is not at Canuck on July 1st. With Edler being re-signed, I doubt Gardiner will be signed unless a trade for Tanev/Hutton has been worked out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:07 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

I will be shocked if he is not at Canuck on July 1st. With Edler being re-signed, I doubt Gardiner will be signed unless a trade for Tanev/Hutton has been worked out.

Winnipeg's right side D will be in tatters if Myers moves, only big Buff will be left. I think Benning is under huge pressure; the guy looks like crap. Benning's history of free agent signings has not been good. Myers is a bit different as he has played in Canada and knows and can take the media heat. A number of guys who have signed up here from US based clubs have crashed out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm 

Hockey's done. On to CFL!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Winnipeg's right side D will be in tatters if Myers moves, only big Buff will be left. I think Benning is under huge pressure; the guy looks like crap. Benning's history of free agent signings has not been good. Myers is a bit different as he has played in Canada and knows and can take the media heat. A number of guys who have signed up here from US based clubs have crashed out.

Yeah, I am worried they will sign him for very stupid money.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm 

Luongo announces today that he has retired from the NHL. Congrats to him on a great career.

As for the business side of things, this is probably the best case scenario for the Canucks, other than him going on LTIR. They get a cap penalty of 3mil per year for the next 3 years. If he did this a year later it would have been something 6mil for 2 years or 8mil for 1 year. much easier to manage this way IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Luongo announces today that he has retired from the NHL. Congrats to him on a great career.

As for the business side of things, this is probably the best case scenario for the Canucks, other than him going on LTIR. They get a cap penalty of 3mil per year for the next 3 years. If he did this a year later it would have been something 6mil for 2 years or 8mil for 1 year. much easier to manage this way IMO.

What does 3mil get you in the NHL these days? A fourth-liner or 3rd set D-man? Still, the Canucks will be working with a 78mil budget. They will not have much to deal with if they are in a playoff race down the stretch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:12 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

What does 3mil get you in the NHL these days? A fourth-liner or 3rd set D-man? Still, the Canucks will be working with a 78mil budget. They will not have much to deal with if they are in a playoff race down the stretch.

Apparently one reason why Hutton was not qualified was due to the cap recapture penalty on the Canucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:32 am 

Happy Canada Day, or as its better known in NY, happy laugh at the Islanders day. :D

He's going to go well with Ziba and Buchnevich and with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Kreider, the Rangers should be back in the east if Trouba, Shattenkirk, Fox and co can put some sort of defence together.

Elsewhere, Toronto stole Tyson Barrie from the Avs for Nasim Kadri, Montreal have trolled Carolina with a front-loaded offer sheet for Aho, Dallas have loaded up on veterans and the Penguins sent Kessell to the desert.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm 

village wrote:
Happy Canada Day, or as its better known in NY, happy laugh at the Islanders day. :D

He's going to go well with Ziba and Buchnevich and with Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Kreider, the Rangers should be back in the east if Trouba, Shattenkirk, Fox and co can put some sort of defence together.

Elsewhere, Toronto stole Tyson Barrie from the Avs for Nasim Kadri, Montreal have trolled Carolina with a front-loaded offer sheet for Aho, Dallas have loaded up on veterans and the Penguins sent Kessell to the desert.

Are the Rangers going to have any good ol' Canadians on the team? I realize the NHL now means the No Hitting League, but Jesus. Let me guess, the Rangers' coaches and managers are American college hockey guys.

I like Kadri, a lot. He has skills and is one nasty player. Barrie can be an experience, in the negative connotation of the word, in his own end.

The Canucks signed Myers. Carolina should meet the Canadiens' offer, unless the Hurricanes' owner goes ballistic. I am not sure what Montreal is doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm 

I give the Canucks a solid B for their moves on July 1st. They have revamped their blue line and I think it is better than last season, which in fairness, isn't saying that much. If they signed Boeser to a contract before training camp so he has a full season, no Nylander mess, then I will give them an A.

If that happens, and we aren't decimated by injuries, we will make the playoffs this year. Yeah I said that. Most likely as a wild card team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
I give the Canucks a solid B for their moves on July 1st. They have revamped their blue line and I think it is better than last season, which in fairness, isn't saying that much. If they signed Boeser to a contract before training camp so he has a full season, no Nylander mess, then I will give them an A.

If that happens, and we aren't decimated by injuries, we will make the playoffs this year. Yeah I said that. Most likely as a wild card team.

Listened to some random know it all dude yesterday (no idea of his background but just on Team 1040) and he went a step further. Talked about an A- and how we should make the playoffs this year. Rambling on about strengthening our supporting cast, and Markham being solid blah blah. Jesus, he gave me more hope than I need . . .

Obviously the dumb fcuk has never heard of the mocker gods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:50 pm 

Snooze wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Listened to some random know it all dude yesterday (no idea of his background but just on Team 1040) and he went a step further. Talked about an A- and how we should make the playoffs this year. Rambling on about strengthening our supporting cast, and Markham being solid blah blah. Jesus, he gave me more hope than I need . . .

Obviously the dumb fcuk has never heard of the mocker gods.

True. But if we don't have any serious injuries to our key players, I think this is a playoff team that, with a hot goalie, can win a round. We are not stanley cup contenders, at least not yet, but I can see a playoff team. I am jettisoning Eriksson and his contract into the sun in this scenario though, hello AHL. Like I said, Boeser also cannot be a hold out here either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:03 pm 

Where's hornets to guarantee a Flames cup run???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 pm 

Snooze wrote:
Where's hornets to guarantee a Flames cup run???

Probably drinking his sorrows away after the signing of the Oilers cast off goalie, Talbot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm 

FFS, the Canucks have signed Ferland to a 4 year deal. Hated the drug addled prick when he was with the Flames (mainly because he was a one man wrecking ball on the twins in the 1st round playoffs), and since then hasn't he bounced around a bit? Reminds me of the young druggie we had a few years ago that played a similar style (can't think of his name).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm 

Snooze wrote:
FFS, the Canucks have signed Ferland to a 4 year deal. Hated the drug addled prick when he was with the Flames (mainly because he was a one man wrecking ball on the twins in the 1st round playoffs), and since then hasn't he bounced around a bit? Reminds me of the young druggie we had a few years ago that played a similar style (can't think of his name).

Well, it is a surprise to read this morning. Canucks must be maxed-out on budget. What is the ticket price?

When Ferland is on his game he is very good: he brings size, speed and toughness. I am sure Vancouver has checked on his personal issues. I thought he was on the road to overcoming them. Ferland is used to playing in Canada, with the fan and media heat and attention.

The Canucks are shooting for the playoffs. The Pacific Division is there for the taking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:16 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:

Well, it is a surprise to read this morning. Canucks must be maxed-out on budget. What is the ticket price?

When Ferland is on his game he is very good: he brings size, speed and toughness. I am sure Vancouver has checked on his personal issues. I thought he was on the road to overcoming them. Ferland is used to playing in Canada, with the fan and media heat and attention.

The Canucks are shooting for the playoffs. The Pacific Division is there for the taking.

Ticket price?? Meaning his contract??

Loads = $3.4M or the like for about 4 years. 4 fcuking years!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 pm 

Snooze wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:

I'm old. Contracts used to be called a player's ticket price. I would be more concerned with the four years. The annual price is not that bad; I guess.

That signing should be it for the Canucks this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:

I'm old. Contracts used to be called a player's ticket price. I would be more concerned with the four years. The annual price is not that bad; I guess.

That signing should be it for the Canucks this summer.

Both are very wrong IMO. $2M for 2 years would be the max I'd go for that fat fuk. :lol:

I'm not young but only been in the country 20 odd years :lol: - and I'd never heard that one. Ya live and learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 am 

Gee Snoose, you were joking when you were saying you are not optimistic. Damn.

Personally I think Benning has had one of his best off seasons. I would give him a solid B. A if he manages to unload Eriksson without adding anything significant to the dump and if he re-signs Boeser without any training camp hold out. Personally I think he will get Boeser done with him missing any time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Gee Snoose, you were joking when you were saying you are not optimistic. Damn.

Personally I think Benning has had one of his best off seasons. I would give him a solid B. A if he manages to unload Eriksson without adding anything significant to the dump and if he re-signs Boeser without any training camp hold out. Personally I think he will get Boeser done with him missing any time.

Yeah, sorry, bad trait. Definitely glass half empty.

But I agree for the most part it's been a good offseason (Ferland aside in my books). But Eriksson is another tough one. No matter what happens (trade, walk, release) I think we carry a sizeable chunk of his salary for 2 more years???? (I'm not sure and can't be arsed looking). I hope it gets resolved soon though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:25 pm 

So the Canes Saturday night played in Toronto, both goalies got injured, put Toronto's Zamboni driver in goal, and still won the game. :lol:

(From an organized labor/collective bargaining point of view, how does this work? If a baseball team say runs out of pitchers during a game that goes many extra innings, they just start using the fielders to pitch. Why aren't they required to use skaters in goal?)

50-page thread on HFBoards: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... e.2743565/