Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:04 pm 

The Women's World Cup kicks off in a week and a bit and is starting to look like the biggish summer event as women's sport gets more attention* I though I'd make a thread for those actually interested. The big women's tournaments are only gonna get bigger and bigger with each edition.

Host nation: France

For what?

The defending team:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dates: 7 June - 7 July 2019

Groups

Group A: France, South Korea, Norway, Nigeria
Group B: Germany, China, Spain, South Africa
Group C: Australia, Italy, Brazil, Jamaica
Group D: England, Scotland, Argentina, Japan
Group E: Canada, Cameroon, New Zealand, Netherlands
Group F: USA, Thailand, Chile, Sweden

The nine venues:

Parc des Princes, Paris
Stade Auguste-Delaune, Reims
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble
Roazhon Park, Rennes
Stade du Hainaut, Valenciennes
Stade de la Mosson, Montpellier
Allianz Riviera, Nice
Stade Oceane, Le Havre
Parc Olympique Lyonnais, Lyon

Viewers and attendance?

Last Women's world cup have a total of 750 Million viewers. Attendance around 1.3 million people which they hope to repeat this time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33422820
https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/new ... rs-2745963

However these numbers are reported I suspect the viewers are far more casual than the men's tournament. Though FIFA plan to get the viewers to over a billion viewers:

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/03/27 ... -world-cup

What might be good

The women's game has jumped miles in terms of quality and depth in top teams, top teams can be as nervy and as conservative as the men's teams, women tend to whack in more goals from outside the area and tight angles, the Dutch team is class to watch, women are now getting their own kit designs (The England one looks great), no complaints about arrogant, passionless overpaid players here, France are usually good hosts, out of date hottest footballer lists, genuinely open competition.

What might get annoying?

Any BBC #campaigns, commentators filming their own reactions and pretending it's all organic, Phil Neville almost exclusively speaking about Man Utd as part of his coaching, observations women aren't as strong or fast as men, Claire Balding, bad gender inequality examples, bad examples of supposed free markets meaning the women are poorly paid, not a century of sport oppression, commentators talking about how England will be inspiring girls, posters complaining I have an agenda, out of date hottest footballers lists, mention of Germany if England get close to penalties.

A closer look at the tournament

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48137701

The Americans are defending and are ranked No.1 in the world, but you can't help feel that women's football is slowly moving away from them now European clubs take it ever more seriously. They are still the team to beat but are far more vulnerable and get criticised for 1 dimensional tactics. Germany are hovering just behind them, but the Netherlands looked superb in becoming European champions (great technical skill but might lack some pace). Hosts France should believe they can come out as winners. Australia likewise are confident dark horses. England are up there and in with a chance, but are missing their best midfielder and look shaky at the back. Japan and Canada are also very good teams.

Research links**:

https://www.reckontalk.com/hottest-wome ... male-2016/

https://theathleticbuild.com/30-hottest ... er-players

Spoiler: show

Stuff about the women's game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33114171
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brooking ... rt-shrift/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... world-2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA ... _World_Cup
https://www.90min.com/posts/6289235-7-p ... -world-cup
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ion-widget
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ng/585202/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... cord-crowd
http://www.thefootballhistoryboys.com/2 ... f-era.html
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40111189

*and more people bitching about women's sport getting more publicity or at others for daring to enjoy it.
**For fatcat

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm 

Should be a real cracker tourney

:|

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:11 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:

We'll see. No tournament will ever beat Italia 90 however :((

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:18 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:

We'll see. No tournament will ever beat Italia 90 however :((

One of the worst World Cup's ever. Only considered a good World Cup by gammon's blinded by England's lucky run to the semi finals.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm 

A thread for a women's soccer tournament on a predominately male rugby board - fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:24 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
A thread for a women's soccer tournament on a predominately male rugby board - fantastic.

Indeed :nod: thanks edf

I'll be rooting for the dutch ladies after that superb performance at the euros

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm 

I imagine pubs up and down England will be heaving with customers in anticipation of football coming home

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:38 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Indeed :nod: thanks edf

I'll be rooting for the dutch ladies after that superb performance at the euros

:thumbup:

I think the dutch women my be my second team as so many of them play for Arsenal. They are probably the hottest team playing so I can imagine them turning a few heads.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:44 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
[

I think the dutch women my be my second team as so many of them play for Arsenal. They are probably the hottest team playing so I can imagine them turning a few heads.

I've noticed a blatant lack of rule-following in several threads now by different posters ... have our shameful 'standards' slipped???

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:27 pm 

Why don't the women play on smaller pitches?

They have some nice skills - good touch, decent reflexes, good passing ability - but they have no power behind their shots or long balls, and they can't cover the distances as fast or as frequently as the men can.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:28 pm 

I think this thread should be a celebration of women's skillz, passion and hard work, free from the oppressive male gaze

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:37 pm 

Newsome wrote:

They have some nice skills - good touch, decent reflexes, good passing ability - but they have no power behind their shots or long balls, and they can't cover the distances as fast or as frequently as the men can.

Well, infrastructure for one. Why don’t all pro men’s rugby teams play on larger pitches to account for bigger players and better defences?

And good luck getting them to buy into it, even if it would make for a better game. I’ve supported women playing with a 4.5 rugby ball (coached at a prov tournament once where officials ‘snuck’ it in, not underhandedly, just didn’t think to inform... and the girls loved it). Bring it up in a public forum and you’ll be jumped on by everyone claiming the game is great as-is and having the same everything as men is the ideal.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:45 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
[

I've noticed a blatant lack of rule-following in several threads now by different posters ... have our shameful 'standards' slipped???

I think you'll find the opening post of this thread has stringently followed the rules via a spoiler function, But just to be sure:

Spoiler: show
[img]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Newsome wrote:

Well, infrastructure for one. Why don’t all pro men’s rugby teams play on larger pitches to account for bigger players and better defences?

And good luck getting them to buy into it, even if it would make for a better game. I’ve supported women playing with a 4.5 rugby ball (coached at a prov tournament once where officials ‘snuck’ it in, not underhandedly, just didn’t think to inform... and the girls loved it). Bring it up in a public forum and you’ll be jumped on by everyone claiming the game is great as-is and having the same everything as men is the ideal.

Yeah I dislike that strand of feminism where things are only good if it's copied the men, rather than what's best for women or suit women.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:09 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
bad gender inequality examples, bad examples of supposed free markets meaning the women are poorly paid, not a century of sport oppression, ..., posters complaining I have an agenda, ....
*and more people bitching about women's sport getting more publicity or at others for daring to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am 

A bit about the growing women's game. VISA are nwo spending as much on the women's cup as the men's:

https://www.marketingweek.com/2019/05/3 ... onsorship/

One thing I don't like from that article, is the BBC overhype of the women's team. The women's World Cup should be enjoyed as the biggest event and the highest level of representation in the sport and national representation for either gender. I'm finding it boring when there's the sort of feminism where they are hyped the gender aspect and putting down others. So that BBC poster showing two women's players with the tag "They are better than you" is shite given we know women's national teams can be beatened by just about any male academy team due to physical pace and power differences. Which only turns a nasty slogan into something that is factually embarrassing. That sort of "equality" thinking can f'ck off!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:56 pm 

Related to your above post, what do you think about World Rugby's new "try and stop us" (or is it 'me') campaign?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Related to your above post, what do you think about World Rugby's new "try and stop us" (or is it 'me') campaign?

I've not spotted it. It does seem a bit less aggressive than the BBC one. As you well know I'm all for the extra promotion of great women's sports, but you want to connect with the public not put them down. This all smacks of overcompensating.

I think cynics to the value of the women's game will only have their backs put up if they be being told "these women are better than you" and even the average person is aware of the physical differences around them. IMO the marketing should be not be some imitation mean girls type attitude. It should be tune in, join in and be entertained by great matches elite women put on. It smacks of advertising via insecurity and over compensating and is self harming advertising.

I also think the constant comparisons and goading with women's and men's sport and trying to present women's sport as macho as men's is a losing battle. Also being constantly told how great these women athletes are in false ways is a terrible way to get people into it. As I said some kind of, "these are the countries finest female players going for the biggest prize in the game" message is he way forward. Men's football is literally always advertised in some variation of that angle.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm 

I agree.

I guess part of the campaign is aimed at countries where women aren't given the same opportunities as elsewhere (and possibly are actively blocked), so maybe it's fair ... but otherwise, it sounds OTT aggressive.

But for the rest of us, I think: "Try and stop you? Who's stopping you?"

I know of at least two women's clubs that went out on their own without being paired to an established men's team. I think one started out that way, but the other was a split off after not being treated fairly. If women's rugby is going to grow and be able to get to a semi-pro level for more than just the elite national players, I think they'd be better off selling the aspects of their game that we like (not as much attrition, less kicking)... encourage people to come and watch because it's, arguably, more like the grassroots / 'traditional' game than today's smash-mouth 40 phase grinders at the men's level.

I suspect football isn't as likely to attract the old school / hardcore male viewer, but (at least over here) girls and women will flood stadia to see the ladies play. Rugby women need to turn out more often in those kinds of numbers.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 pm 

I hear the french team might be under a cloud for some sort of performance enhancement?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:09 pm 

A good final warm up win for the Football Ferns over England.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:58 pm 

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
A good final warm up win for the Football Ferns over England.

England women kinda getting the hype here, but as I stated I don't think they are good enough. They are almost identical to the men, can beat some top teams in what is essentially friendlies, but the lack of technical quality across the team, but especially in midfield (and especially without Jordan Nobbs) shows them up when playing top teams or well coached teams in the big tournaments. Having what is essentially an amateur coach who couldn't get another job and has no coaching history doesn't help either.

Typically the media state this (the Guardian):

"England have now lost two of their last four games, without scoring in each of those, against teams they should theoretically beat. Again, these are just friendlies, and this is still a squad stacked with talent, but it may well be a concern."

I don't know about stacked, Neville has been playing his Right back in midfield recently because of the weakness there without Nobbs. England's best talent as always is in position not hugely influential or look better in club games because of a foreign player capable of controlling the game and making space for them. Their attack also is physicaly very small. Quick but not gonna get the world class passes all the time to make use of that quickness. The defenders are good but still manage to leak silly goals constantly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:58 pm 

How not to prepare for the home world cup:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-socce ... KKCN1T019A

Quote:

Soccer - French women's team moves out of training camp to make way for men
2 MIN READ

PARIS - The French men’s soccer team has moved into the national training camp ahead of a weekend friendly, forcing the women’s squad to leave their rooms just days before the Women’s World Cup gets underway.

The two teams shared dinner at the Clairefontaine camp on Wednesday, and national men’s team coach Didier Deschamps played down the relocation of the women’s squad to nearby training facilities in Domaine de la Voisine.

“They will have Clairefontaine at their disposal for the whole duration of the World Cup so there is no debate,” Deschamps told reporters. “It’s temporary, until we leave for Turkey on June 6.”

He gave no reason for the decision and the French football federation could not immediately be reached for comment.

Following Sunday’s friendly against Bolivia in Nantes, Les Bleus will travel to Turkey for a June 8 Euro 2020 qualifier.

France is hosting the FIFA 2019 Women’s World Cup, which starts on June 7 with the host nation taking on South Korea at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 pm 

Kick's off tomorrow. Looking forward to it, clearly gonna be the biggest WWC. I have the Dutch down to win, as long as they maintain their concentration, but t's an open tournament for about half a dozen teams.

A bit about how women's football has grown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48548761

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:19 am 

Come on New Zealand.

Likely to go through from their pool are Holland and Canada - really need to get draws against them and win against Cameroon to have chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
Come on New Zealand.

Likely to go through from their pool are Holland and Canada - really need to get draws against them and win against Cameroon to have chance.

Well New Zealand have shown themselves to be a tough outfit against "supposed big change to win" England last game. They could do it. I think Holland are favs but are prone to not bringing the intensity needed in a match.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:57 pm 

Allez les Bleues, my second team :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 pm 

Koreans look a bit pants.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:16 pm 

Good start

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:24 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Good start

Yeah. Korea looks very nervous, France assured.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:27 pm 

Akkerman wrote:

Henry has been my favourite player for a long while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm 

Manu approves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:30 pm 

2-0 to France.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:31 pm 

Close but offside

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:33 pm 

VAR says f#ck that goal after 10 minutes! Offside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 pm 

Male commentator trolling the men's game there with the "If your new to the women's game, you won't see much discent or diving" as if new fans would be completely confused by the absence of it :lol:

Goal, South Korean's don't want to defend or get close to France players as the ball comes in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:50 pm 

Renard would do well in a men's team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:50 pm 

And it's 3.

Should be 5 up. South Korea are utterly useless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

And if I didn't need any more confirmation as to why, that 4th Goal was delicious!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next