Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8027 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
He didn’t handle that situation well but I think he’s sick of shitty coaching and losing. The Jaguars are an absolute dumpster fire and the front office just makes continual poor decisions. I think he would have signed a deal if they’d given him one in the off season but for some reason they want to play hard ball with two of the best young players in the league. I’d quite happily see the entire FO fired and Ramsey kept, he’s a generational player and he’s not a bad influence in the locker room 🤷🏼‍♂️

They really should have challenged that play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 pm 

It’s bizarre that they didn’t, Marrone was signalling no catch immediately on the sideline, makes no sense that he wouldn’t challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 am 

Come on Raiders, trade Da Bears pick for him!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:15 pm 

Eli Manning benched by the Giants.

From the outside, it always appeared to me McAdoo was fired because he benched Eli. Now we're into week 3 of the next season, Eli is benched, and it makes Eli look even more like the problem and McAdoo just a scapegoat.

Watched 3 minutes of Sportscenter this morning:

-38 different starting QBs thru Week 3 (39 if Cam Newton is out). Most ever. 
-4 Super Bowl winning QBs that started Week 1 but won't in Week 3 (Roethlisberger, Brees, Eli, Foles). Most ever.

If this season is a Patriots runaway...I have better things to do in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm 

Go to Football Outsiders, and the discussion on Eli getting benched immediately turns into a "Eli Manning is not Hall of Fame-worthy". The discussion is predictably centered around the narcissism of New York sports fans.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra ... ent-789636

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:

From the outside, it always appeared to me McAdoo was fired because he benched Eli. Now we're into week 3 of the next season, Eli is benched, and it makes Eli look even more like the problem and McAdoo just a scapegoat.

-4 Super Bowl winning QBs that started Week 1 but won't in Week 3 (Roethlisberger, Brees, Eli, Foles). Most ever.

I was listening to a show yesterday where they talked bout Manning. If you look at his career stats, he was an average QB at best. Did he just get by on his name?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 pm 

Sydvicious wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

I was listening to a show yesterday where they talked bout Manning. If you look at his career stats, he was an average QB at best. Did he just get by on his name?

And two Superbowls.

He was Brady & Belichek's Kryptonite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

And two Superbowls.

I know. They were saying that he will get in to the HOF just because of the two SB wins. Hence why I asked if it is just because of his surname.
Surely there are other QBs with as many (or more) rings, but not held in the same regard?
I'm asking this as an outsider. I knew about Eli Manning before I was even remotely interested in following the game. Yet, I don't see why, other than that he was "hyped".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:18 pm 

Sydvicious wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

And two Superbowls.

I know. They were saying that he will get in to the HOF just because of the two SB wins. Hence why I asked if it is just because of his surname.
Surely there are other QBs with as many (or more) rings, but not held in the same regard?
I'm asking this as an outsider. I knew about Eli Manning before I was even remotely interested in following the game. Yet, I don't see why, other than that he was "hyped".

The one QB I remember getting in to the Hall of Fame and some people were asking "really?" was Troy Aikman, who won the Super Bowl as a starting QB 3 times. It's not like Aikman was a stiff, he just had the best supporting cast of all-time in Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.

Super Bowl-winning QBs not in the Hall of Fame and are eligible.

Jim Plunkett (Raiders, 1980 and 1983 - I don't know anything about his playing career, I guess a good parallel to Eli of some people make the case for him and some don't)
Joe Theismann (Redskins, 1982, lost SB in 1983 - I don't know anything about his playing career other than how it ended)
Jim McMahon (Bears, 1985 - he shouldn't be)
Phil Simms (Giants, 1986 - stronger than McMahon, but probably shouldn't be)
Doug Williams (Redskins, 1987 - probably shouldn't be, although "first black starting QB in a Super Bowl" I'm a little surprised the socially conscious NFL doesn't have him in)
Jeff Hostetler (Giants, 1990 - he shouldn't be)
Mark Rypien (Redskins, 1991 - he shouldn't be)
Trent Dilfer (Ravens, 2000 - largely considered worst QB to win Super Bowl as a starter)
Brad Johnson (Buccaneers, 2002 - he shouldn't be)

Joe Namath (Jets, 1968) would not be in the Hall of Fame were it not for the importance of the Jets win and Super Bowl III to the history of the NFL.

I look at a guy like Philip Rivers though. Not that the Hall of Fame arguments are ever publicized, but comparing in the future Drew Brees to Eli Manning to Philip Rivers would be an interesting conversation in that room.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:27 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Jim Plunkett (Raiders, 1980 and 1983 - I don't know anything about his playing career, I guess a good parallel to Eli of some people make the case for him and some don't)

Plunkett is unique in that he wasn't starting QB at the beginning of the season - for BOTH his Superbowl wins.

Many others have picked the job up during the season, e.g. Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler and even Tom Brady (1st SB)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:42 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

Plunkett is unique in that he wasn't starting QB at the beginning of the season - for BOTH his Superbowl wins.

Many others have picked the job up during the season, e.g. Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler and even Tom Brady (1st SB)

The deal with Hostetler, Simms got injured earlier in the season and by the time of the Super Bowl, Simms was ready to play again. Parcells made the decision to stick with Hostetler. I wonder how damning that decision was to Simms' career as a whole as far as how people perceived him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm 

Quote:

Realized Sydvicious I never answered this.

The reason you heard about Eli Manning before you were even remote interested in following the game is he was the quarterback for the top New York football team and New York dominates media coverage in this country.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:09 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

And two Superbowls.

Tyree and Mannigham with two of the all time great catches. And the DL played incredibly well.

But his post seasons those two years were very good. Not HOF worthy though imo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:52 am 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

The deal with Hostetler, Simms got injured earlier in the season and by the time of the Super Bowl, Simms was ready to play again. Parcells made the decision to stick with Hostetler. I wonder how damning that decision was to Simms' career as a whole as far as how people perceived him.

God I remember that game, one of the best ever from a purist standpoint with genuine ebb-and-flow on both sides of the ball.
You're right, there was serious speculation over would Simms come back in or had the Giants found a mthod that worked.

As much as Belichick's defensive gameplan is lauded, I have to say I was impressed by what Parcells was able to do on the other side of the ball.
Hoss was a limited thrower and he was facing the awesome Bruce Smith (DE) and the bloody good Cornelius Bennett (OLB).
And the Giants refused to allow Hoss to be a sitting duck / static target.
So many times they rolled him out of the pocked to the right (away from Bruce Smith) but ran someone out into the flat forcing Bennett to back off his pass rush in case the pass went that way.
The Bills had a bloody good defence that year, it's just that most of the hype was on the high powered no-huddle offence of Machine-gun Kelly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 am 

Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

God I remember that game, one of the best ever from a purist standpoint with genuine ebb-and-flow on both sides of the ball.
You're right, there was serious speculation over would Simms come back in or had the Giants found a mthod that worked.

As much as Belichick's defensive gameplan is lauded, I have to say I was impressed by what Parcells was able to do on the other side of the ball.
Hoss was a limited thrower and he was facing the awesome Bruce Smith (DE) and the bloody good Cornelius Bennett (OLB).
So many times they rolled him out of the pocked to the right (away from Bruce Smith) but ran someone out into the flat forcing Bennett to back off his pass rush in case the pass went that way.
The Bills had a bloody good defence that year, it's just that most of the hype was on the high powered no-huddle offence of Machine-gun Kelly.

They certainly did. As well as the two HoFers you mentioned there was Shane Conlan, Darryl Talley, Mark Kelso, Nate Odomes so many classic 90s NFl names in that game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:17 pm 

The GOAT wishing us well in the World Cup 8)

https://youtu.be/5Cke9a8VKdY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:52 pm 

Sydvicious wrote:

Pats teammate and former 7s Eagle Nate Ebner with the best response: https://twitter.com/nateebner/status/11 ... 22240?s=21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:

Pats teammate and former 7s Eagle Nate Ebner with the best response: https://twitter.com/nateebner/status/11 ... 22240?s=21

This explains it :lol:

https://twitter.com/causedesign/status/ ... 83329?s=21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm 

village wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

They certainly did. As well as the two HoFers you mentioned there was Shane Conlan, Darryl Talley, Mark Kelso, Nate Odomes so many classic 90s NFl names in that game.

It's criminal how that Bills team is associated with failure. Yeah, they lost 4 Super Bowls in a row. They still made it to 4 Super Bowls in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:12 pm 

So Gardner Minshew huh... what a steal. Got some Favre to him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:08 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Quarterback scouting and analysis has so much money poured into it and is so hit-and-miss.

That said, he played competent last night, but that's about all I'll say. Let's talk again about him say end of October.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 pm 

Antonio Brown has now been released by the Pats. :lol:

Impossible to feel sorry for the plum.

Got to think he's heading for the NFL suspending him (or the "commissioner's waiver" or what-ever it's called) if he lands with another team. Otherwise they'll catch hell for letting his latest txting debacle slide.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 pm 

Demilich wrote:

Got to think he's heading for the NFL suspending him (or the "commissioner's waiver" or what-ever it's called) if he lands with another team. Otherwise they'll catch hell for letting his latest txting debacle slide.

Just when you think it can't get any crazier :lol:

Edit: As many people were saying, this was a low risk move by the Pats, so I don't think they'll feel like they've weakened the squad.

Last edited by Sydvicious on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:34 pm 

Demilich wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All together now: F*ck AB :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 pm 

Demilich wrote:

So much for the theory that he is actually a brilliant self publicist. The group text stuff is beyond dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Demilich wrote:

So much for the theory that he is actually a brilliant self publicist. The group text stuff is beyond dumb.

How dumb? Like Jackson/Olding dumb?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:53 pm 

Going to try NFL again this year, really give it my best shot.

Used a random team picker and I have the Rams, am I supporting a team of winners?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Demilich wrote:

How dumb? Like Jackson/Olding dumb?

Maybe dumber.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-brown- ... 00460.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:00 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Going to try NFL again this year, really give it my best shot.

Used a random team picker and I have the Rams, am I supporting a team of winners?

Lots of people have them going to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:19 am 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Quarterback scouting and analysis has so much money poured into it and is so hit-and-miss.

That said, he played competent last night, but that's about all I'll say. Let's talk again about him say end of October.

Right :lol:
Remember this time last year we were right in the middle of Fitzmagic :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:30 am 

Was just thinking... Gruden signing back AB at a massive discount and then proclaiming it as a major win, would possibly be the most RAIDERS thing ever. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:42 am 

vintage_cox wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Right :lol:
Remember this time last year we were right in the middle of Fitzmagic :uhoh:

I'll go to my grave defending Fitzy. A good QB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:29 pm 

Pats are on a charge against the Jets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:04 pm 

Vikings 21-0 up on the Raiders.

Raiders not quite "Miami" bad, but uncomfortably close.
Vikings looking really polished.

edit: and we just get a score :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm 

HTs

"Best team in New York" the Buffalo Bills are 14-0 up on the Bengals.
Cowboys 10-6 Dolphins :shock:
Packers 17-10 Broncos
Colts 20-3 Falcons :blush:
Chiefs 23-3 Ravens (someone else's turn this week)
Vikings 21-7 Raiders
Patriots 20-0 Jets
Lions 20-10 Eagles

Not so confident about the Eagles as my NFC tip this season...
They're looking ordinary.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 pm 

There isn’t enough in the running game and we’re down a few receivers to injury(Jackson and Jeffery). Think we can make the post season but we won’t trouble anyone beyond the first 2 rounds max.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 pm 

Carson Wentz has SEVEN passes dropped in the loss to Detroit.
Including 2 of the last 3 plays :blush: :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:35 pm 

Rather interesting drop kick technique from the Ravens kicker on the onside kick attempt. Flipped it like ten feet in the air then hit it on the volley after the bounce. Didn't come off but got good air, a couple yards shorter and it might have worked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Bowens wrote:

The intangibles coaches talk about are a lot harder to predict than is made out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:18 am 

Pats D looking just as brilliant as they did in the Super Bowl (admittedly against terrible opponents). Only gave up 105 yards total offense to the Jets.

Daniel Jones looking the goods for the Giants.

Lamar Jackson looked like a second year QB today. Accuracy was off. Still looking like he'll develop into a solid QB, but he ain't no Patrick Mahomes.

Jacoby Brissett is quietly playing very well in Indy.

49ers best start since 1998 :shock:

Early impression of the Rams this year is better on D, weaker on O. Not sure where that will put us when we come up against the other top teams.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8027 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201  Next