Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1282
Location: Winterfell
saffer13 wrote:
Falcons playing some football...finally. Now to run the table, win the NFC South and qualify for the playoffs :lol:


Well no one can accuse you of being a pessimist...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9012
Location: Indiana
Grey Cup tomorrow evening from Calgary. The Hamilton Tiger-cats play the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In a 9-team league, the Ti-Cats have not won the Grey Cup in 20 years, and the Blue Bombers have not won in 29.

In the States, it starts at 6pm Eastern time and is broadcast on ESPN2.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2772
Location: Vancouver, BC
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Grey Cup tomorrow evening from Calgary. The Hamilton Tiger-cats play the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In a 9-team league, the Ti-Cats have not won the Grey Cup in 20 years, and the Blue Bombers have not won in 29.

In the States, it starts at 6pm Eastern time and is broadcast on ESPN2.


I bet you can't f**king wait. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I live here and didn't know if it was today or tomorrow. I'll be watching the Niners game . . .

I always love the way Berman puts on a little show from the "neighbours to the north". Comical and always comes across with a tad of condescension. Not that I care.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11910
Nice play by the seahawks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:46 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
Raiders get utterly bitch-slapped by the Jets :x :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11910
Just getting worse for las vegas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 12551
I picked Jets +3, so not surprised about the result.

The scale of the beating is disappointing, tho. First time all season I've switched off.

Still a ways to go before this team is a consistent playoff contender.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
Gruden pulls Carr and Jacobs so they don't get hurt before next week.

In come Mike Glennon:
fumbles first snap, then the Jets fumble it back.
Glennon goes back into the shotgun - and fumbles the second snap, but recovers...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
Elsewhere:

Good Jameis Winston shreds the Falcons.
Bills grind their way into the playoffs against the Broncos
Magic Mitch Trubiskey is the answer to Chicago's QB wows. For one week.
Bengals need to remember that they are tanking for the no 1, losing narrowly to the Steelers
Browns back on song over the Dolphins
Panthers trying to get back level against the Saints
Seattle knocking Philly out of playoff contention.
Redskins competitive against Detroit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 12551
Yer Man wrote:
Gruden pulls Carr and Jacobs so they don't get hurt before next week.

In come Mike Glennon:
fumbles first snap, then the Jets fumble it back.
Glennon goes back into the shotgun - and fumbles the second snap, but recovers...


:lol:

We're getting wrecked again next week...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4132
Location: Monmouthshire
Seattle vs Philly is not pretty. Defences very much on top.

Chris Carson fumbling again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4132
Location: Monmouthshire
the nfc west schedule is interesting:
49ers
green bay h
ravens a
saints a
falcons a
kroenke h
seahawks a

seahawks
vikings (h)
kroenke (a)
panthers a
Cardinals h
49ers h


kroenke's tosspots team
ravens h
cardinals a
seahawks h
cowboys a
49ers a
cardinals h

seahawks 6-0 on the road this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
So many 49ers fans creeping out the woodwork this year. :lol:

In fairness they look the goods. Anything less than NFC champs at this point would be a disappointment.

Ravens will do a Ray Lewis on the Rams come Monday night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1282
Location: Winterfell
If the Patriots can get their offence sorted they might as well put one hand on the trophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:29 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
Sydvicious wrote:
If the Patriots can get their offence sorted they might as well put one hand on the trophy.

That pass defence is suffocating in the wet weather in Boston.
Amari Cooper - no catches (that weren't overturned by penalties).

Dak had trouble throwing the ball early on, he fixed that problem.
His receivers couldn't fix their drop problems.

NE's offence is... limited.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1282
Location: Winterfell
Yer Man wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
If the Patriots can get their offence sorted they might as well put one hand on the trophy.

That pass defence is suffocating in the wet weather in Boston.
Amari Cooper - no catches (that weren't overturned by penalties).

Dak had trouble throwing the ball early on, he fixed that problem.
His receivers couldn't fix their drop problems.

NE's offence is... limited.


That's putting it mildly :lol:
It also doesn't help that the receivers drop perfect passes from Brady. When the offence is already struggling, they need to make those catches. Edelman dropped a sitter in the red zone against the Eagles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
village wrote:
So many 49ers fans creeping out the woodwork this year. :lol:

In fairness they look the goods. Anything less than NFC champs at this point would be a disappointment.

Ravens will do a Ray Lewis on the Rams come Monday night.


As advertised. Great thing about the NFL is you can go from shit to brilliant real fast (hello SF) and the bad thing is the reverse is also true (hello LA). The only constant are the f**king Patriots (hats off to 'em).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 201
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
M.V.P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 2787
Location: Boston
village wrote:
village wrote:
So many 49ers fans creeping out the woodwork this year. :lol:

In fairness they look the goods. Anything less than NFC champs at this point would be a disappointment.

Ravens will do a Ray Lewis on the Rams come Monday night.


As advertised. Great thing about the NFL is you can go from shit to brilliant real fast (hello SF) and the bad thing is the reverse is also true (hello LA). The only constant are the f**king Patriots (hats off to 'em).


Obviously I've been doing my best to pretend the Rams no longer exist, but seriously, what's going on over there? Just now saw a headline from what appears to be a Rams blog saying McVey should be on the hotseat...rancid clickbait or is it that bad?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
fonzeee wrote:
village wrote:
village wrote:
So many 49ers fans creeping out the woodwork this year. :lol:

In fairness they look the goods. Anything less than NFC champs at this point would be a disappointment.

Ravens will do a Ray Lewis on the Rams come Monday night.


As advertised. Great thing about the NFL is you can go from shit to brilliant real fast (hello SF) and the bad thing is the reverse is also true (hello LA). The only constant are the f**king Patriots (hats off to 'em).


Obviously I've been doing my best to pretend the Rams no longer exist, but seriously, what's going on over there? Just now saw a headline from what appears to be a Rams blog saying McVey should be on the hotseat...rancid clickbait or is it that bad?

Rams blew their wad on one year deals for expensive Free Agents last season.
It so very nearly worked.

The inevitable consequence was that those departing Free Agents would be missed this year.
They had to draft well and whatever players they were paying big money had to perform.

Instead, they paid Gurley and he's now a bit of a crock.
They paid Goff and he's looking like Jeff Fisher is coaching him again.
They paid Aaron Donald - at least he's still the best player in the league.

They blew two 1st round picks on getting Jalen Ramsey, again good for the short-term but they won't have the draft capital to spend in 2020...


Don't be mistaken, Rams have a very good coach and some very, very good players.
Trouble is they are very thin in a number of areas, their OL just got old and crocked and their offence has fallen apart. And all of a sudden they are in a seriously tough division with 2 legit playoff rivals and a fast improving Arizona.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
village wrote:
The only constant are the f**king Patriots (hats off to 'em).

At least they might have to earn some of their divisional wins going forward.
Bills look solid, if limited offensively.
Jets look like they are actually putting a decent squad together - classy QB and a run-stuffing D-line.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
The Rams issues are:

1) The league figured out McVay's schemes from around week 13 last year (Lions). Our offense began to struggle (aside from the gimmie against Arizona) and was shut down completely by Bellicheck in the Superbowl.

2) Gurley got broken right after we signed him to the long term deal. No idea whether due diligence should have clocked the knee risk or not, but it sucks because its not his fault but he's a salary millstone and now a mediocre running back.

Because of these two factors, McVay shifted to pass heavy offense this year but:

a) Whitworth is 1 season past his use-by date, Sullivan is gone, Saffold is gone and the guys they hoped would step in have been bad.
b) Goff can make great throws when he has time. He makes poor decisions when he is under pressure. Last year he was not under pressure much because defense had to respect the run and our OL was elite but neither of those factors holds true anymore. Oh, did I mention we paid Goff big time just before we confirmed this fact?

And yeah, we sold the draft and salary cap farm to win last year. So we are f**ked for a good long time. Kroenke must be shitting bricks because his fancy new stadium aint going to sell out if we are back to the usual 3-13 Rams. I don't think McVay is on the hot seat yet, but he will be if they don't find a way to compete next season. I hope there are some late round gems to be hand among the 2020 OL draft class.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10567
I would say dealing Marcus Peters and giving up all their first round picks for Ramsey wasn’t a great move.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9012
Location: Indiana
Bowens wrote:
I would say dealing Marcus Peters and giving up all their first round picks for Ramsey wasn’t a great move.


Kroeneke's career record as an owner is not the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5146
I was at the Saints v Panthers game on Sunday at the Superdome. Great atmosphere. Who dat!?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
Bowens wrote:
I would say dealing Marcus Peters and giving up all their first round picks for Ramsey wasn’t a great move.


Peters did not fit Wade Phillips style of defense. He's a zone cover guy and Wade wanted him to play man. He was frankly shit at that. He fits the Baltimore style much better. Ramsey has been good (and prior to the Ravens game our D has been much improved since the Peters / Ramsey moves). But I would agree, dealing those picks for Ramsey was not a great move because now we either pay a fortune to resign him or we lost those picks for a season and a half rental on a non-Playoff team (assuming we use franchise tag). We could use the cap space to rebuild the line.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Bowens wrote:
I would say dealing Marcus Peters and giving up all their first round picks for Ramsey wasn’t a great move.


Kroeneke's career record as an owner is not the best.


That's a little harsh when we are reigning NFC Champions. We went all-in for the Superbowl and came up short. It happens. See also Carolina, Atlanta etc. But as someone who has suffered Kroenke owning both my (US) Football and (UK) Football teams, I know what you mean. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5195
How good to see the big man Vita Vea with a TD for Tampa in the win over the failcans. ?
Saw a line said he was heaviest ever TD recipient.

NFC south had all 5 leading receivers in the league
1 Thomas
2 Godwin
3 Evans
4 Jones
5 Moore


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11633
Are the ravens the best team in the league currently?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:57 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
Wendigo7 wrote:
Are the ravens the best team in the league currently?

Best team in the league at any venue outside Foxborough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
Yer Man wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Are the ravens the best team in the league currently?

Best team in the league at any venue outside Foxborough.


Correct. And the AFC Championship road currently goes through Foxborough. Hard to see New England dropping the necessary loss to change that apart from maybe the Chiefs game (but that's at home in December, tough to back the Chiefs there).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19438
village wrote:
The Rams issues are:

1) The league figured out McVay's schemes from around week 13 last year (Lions). Our offense began to struggle (aside from the gimmie against Arizona) and was shut down completely by Bellicheck in the Superbowl.

2) Gurley got broken right after we signed him to the long term deal. No idea whether due diligence should have clocked the knee risk or not, but it sucks because its not his fault but he's a salary millstone and now a mediocre running back.

Because of these two factors, McVay shifted to pass heavy offense this year but:

a) Whitworth is 1 season past his use-by date, Sullivan is gone, Saffold is gone and the guys they hoped would step in have been bad.
b) Goff can make great throws when he has time. He makes poor decisions when he is under pressure. Last year he was not under pressure much because defense had to respect the run and our OL was elite but neither of those factors holds true anymore. Oh, did I mention we paid Goff big time just before we confirmed this fact?

And yeah, we sold the draft and salary cap farm to win last year. So we are f**ked for a good long time. Kroenke must be shitting bricks because his fancy new stadium aint going to sell out if we are back to the usual 3-13 Rams. I don't think McVay is on the hot seat yet, but he will be if they don't find a way to compete next season. I hope there are some late round gems to be hand among the 2020 OL draft class.

Been checking up, because I've only just cottoned on to what some people have said about Rams & the 1st round draft picks.

Rams last 1st round pick was Gared Goff in 2016.
They won't pick again in the 1st round until 2022 :shock: :shock: :shock:

They traded their 2017 1st rounder as part of the deal top move up and take Goff.
They traded their 2018 1st rounder to New England for Brandin Cooks.
They traded their 2019 1st rounder to Atlanta for 2nd & 3rd round picks.
They traded their 2020 & 2021 1st round picks for Jalen Ramsey.

They'll be spending about 51% of their 2020 salary cap on FIVE players.
More once Ramsey gets paid long-term.

Well, it was good while it lasted.
Lots of teams would sell their own mother for a Superbowl appearance, even if it was a loss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 201
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Yer Man wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Are the ravens the best team in the league currently?

Best team in the league at any venue outside Foxborough.

Foxborough doesn't scare Baltimore...won playoff games there before


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 16543
Yer Man wrote:
village wrote:
The Rams issues are:

1) The league figured out McVay's schemes from around week 13 last year (Lions). Our offense began to struggle (aside from the gimmie against Arizona) and was shut down completely by Bellicheck in the Superbowl.

2) Gurley got broken right after we signed him to the long term deal. No idea whether due diligence should have clocked the knee risk or not, but it sucks because its not his fault but he's a salary millstone and now a mediocre running back.

Because of these two factors, McVay shifted to pass heavy offense this year but:

a) Whitworth is 1 season past his use-by date, Sullivan is gone, Saffold is gone and the guys they hoped would step in have been bad.
b) Goff can make great throws when he has time. He makes poor decisions when he is under pressure. Last year he was not under pressure much because defense had to respect the run and our OL was elite but neither of those factors holds true anymore. Oh, did I mention we paid Goff big time just before we confirmed this fact?

And yeah, we sold the draft and salary cap farm to win last year. So we are f**ked for a good long time. Kroenke must be shitting bricks because his fancy new stadium aint going to sell out if we are back to the usual 3-13 Rams. I don't think McVay is on the hot seat yet, but he will be if they don't find a way to compete next season. I hope there are some late round gems to be hand among the 2020 OL draft class.

Been checking up, because I've only just cottoned on to what some people have said about Rams & the 1st round draft picks.

Rams last 1st round pick was Gared Goff in 2016.
They won't pick again in the 1st round until 2022 :shock: :shock: :shock:

They traded their 2017 1st rounder as part of the deal top move up and take Goff.
They traded their 2018 1st rounder to New England for Brandin Cooks.
They traded their 2019 1st rounder to Atlanta for 2nd & 3rd round picks.
They traded their 2020 & 2021 1st round picks for Jalen Ramsey.

They'll be spending about 51% of their 2020 salary cap on FIVE players.
More once Ramsey gets paid long-term.

Well, it was good while it lasted.
Lots of teams would sell their own mother for a Superbowl appearance, even if it was a loss.

Are first round picks that important? Just pretend for a minute Gurley isn’t going to be permacrocked and Goff learns to live with a shot OL. Are 3 rookies that important? Like how many of the current NFL starting rosters are first round picks?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10567
Like 8 or 9 of the 11 Steelers starters on defense are first round picks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 16543
Bowens wrote:
Like 8 or 9 of the 11 Steelers starters on defense are first round picks.

But is it really important you get them on first pick? I looked at the Eagles 1st round pick for the past 10 years and only about half are still there(we gave up a first round pick to Baltmire who signed Jackson). Steelers picked up Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins. My theory is you can amange without a few first round picks if you have the bones of a good team like the Rams thought they had until Gurley and Goff became questionable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
Bowens wrote:
Like 8 or 9 of the 11 Steelers starters on defense are first round picks.


Steelers have the same 6-5 record as the Rams & rank lower on points allowed per game (25th in the league), so I'm not sure that stat bears out the idea that 1st round picks are so important.

The absolute super stars tend to be in the 1st round, but there are plenty of All-Pros to be had in the mid-rounds. Trading back to stock up on bodies there can be a winning move, especially if you already have your superstars under contract. Of course, 2019 aside, that's not what LA has been doing and this year's 2 pick deal for Ramsey is going to be a car crash for us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
paddyor wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Like 8 or 9 of the 11 Steelers starters on defense are first round picks.

But is it really important you get them on first pick? I looked at the Eagles 1st round pick for the past 10 years and only about half are still there(we gave up a first round pick to Baltmire who signed Jackson). Steelers picked up Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins. My theory is you can amange without a few first round picks if you have the bones of a good team like the Rams thought they had until Gurley and Goff became questionable.


This. Also bear in mind that not all 1st round picks are the same. The Rams had #31 in 2019. It's effectively a 2nd round pick, so trading back with it and adding an extra 3rd round pick while still getting your 2nd round target, as LA did, is a smart move.

Super star QBs and receivers tend to go in the 1st round. Super star pass rushers too. We thought we had that in Goff, Gurley and Donald and hey, maybe we still do. If the Rams fix the line (which can be done without 1st rounders) then I think running lanes open for Henderson / Gurley and Goff has time to find out receivers who are elite (I would not swap Kupp, Woods and Cooks for any other receiving trio in the league).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10567
village wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Like 8 or 9 of the 11 Steelers starters on defense are first round picks.


Steelers have the same 6-5 record as the Rams & rank lower on points allowed per game (25th in the league), so I'm not sure that stat bears out the idea that 1st round picks are so important.

The absolute super stars tend to be in the 1st round, but there are plenty of All-Pros to be had in the mid-rounds. Trading back to stock up on bodies there can be a winning move, especially if you already have your superstars under contract. Of course, 2019 aside, that's not what LA has been doing and this year's 2 pick deal for Ramsey is going to be a car crash for us.


What stats are you looking at? They are 8th in the league for points allowed per game and top 10 in most categories. Ranked second in takeaways (#1 in fumble recoveries and #2 in INTs). Ranked third in sacks. They have an elite defense.

They are 6-5 because Rudolph was garbage and they have had serious injury problems at RB and WR.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Official NFL 2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3810
Sorry, my bad, I glanced at NFL.com but had the filters set wrong. So yes, Steelers have a high-end defense, but just for the purposes of this debate let me point out that some of those 1st rounders come with an asterix:

Mark Barron: technically a 1st round pick but the Rams got him for a 4th + 6th round picks and Pittsburgh signed him from us as a FA. Not sure how relevant he is to a discussion on the importance of 1st round picks since he was a bust for the team (Tampa) who used that pick.
Similarly Joe Haden. 1st round pick of the Browns, picked up by the Steelers for free after release.

I take your point, don't waste 1st rounders because it is where the elite talent tends to be found but the two guys above show that bargains are out there and in counterpoint to the Steelers, the Patriots have a better defense but only 2 of them cost New England a 1st round pick. I suppose you could say that franchise is the exception that proves the rule. Absolute masters of farming rounds 2-4 for quality players who fit their system.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anonymous_joe, BillW, Bing [Bot], BokJock, camroc1, CrazyIslander, de_Selby, duke, frankster, Google Adsense [Bot], koroke hangareka, lorcanoworms, message #2527204, Mr Mike, Mullet 2, normilet, Oxbow, Petros, PornDog, Poshprop, rfurlong, rialtoblue, SamShark, tc27, Ulsters Red Hand, Woddy, Xin, Yer Man, Yourmother, ZappaMan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group