Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm 

STARTS 8TH AUGUST
---------------------------------------------------------------

Auckland

Bay of Plenty

Canterbury

Counties Manukau

Hawkes Bay

Manawatu

North Harbour

Northland

Otago

Southland

Taranaki

Tasman Makos

Waikato

Wellington

Last edited by comets on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:30 am 

updated canterbury/northland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 am 

comets wrote:

You've spelt it wrong. It should be "The Mighty Northland"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
comets wrote:

You've spelt it wrong. It should be "The Mighty Northland"

Only tourists say that. Us locals say "The Tree".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:27 pm 

When I used to listen to Jed Thian, always loved his nicknames for the different parts of New Zealand.

The Tree
The Boy Racers
Clap Corps
Punta del Jafa
Manawa-who?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pm 

Counties Manukau - the position of "Mental Skills" is now a full blown full on role in the support group. Hmm... clearly times have changed since the days of careful positioning of the 7oz glass and arm for boat races.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 am 

Realistically that's the weakest Canterbury squad in years. So much so that I have no idea who the outside backs are apart from Josh McKay. The forward pack should still be good enough to keep us in the mix, but I can't see us winning. I'd expect a team of something like:

1. DLB
2. Brodie McAlister
3. Alaalatoa
4. Dunshea
5. Romano
6. Douglas
7. Christie
8. Whitelock (c)
9. Drummond
10. Cameron
11. ?
12. Bateman
13. Punivai
14. ?
15. McKay

16. Siataga
17. Allan
18. Tokolahi/Jager
19. Tucker
20. Prinsep/Harmon
21. Enari
22. ?
23. ?

Obviously the All Black squad (particularly the availability of Ennor/Bridge) could change that.

Wish they'd list the squad by position, as I have no idea who some of these new guys are. I guess finding out is part of the excitement of this competition though! Bring it on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 am 

junior ratuva on the right wing, they may need to bring in playes cause atleast 10 players will be wit NZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:27 am 

updated auckland/otago and Makos
edit all with graphics ..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 pm 

was watching Duke when i saw this ad for upcoming show, Celebrity Treasure Island, saw this guy, it was quick, but is that Zac Guilford? if so, looks like his rugby career is very much over, and only 30..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:20 pm 

mrbrownstone wrote:
Realistically that's the weakest Canterbury squad in years. So much so that I have no idea who the outside backs are apart from Josh McKay. The forward pack should still be good enough to keep us in the mix, but I can't see us winning. I'd expect a team of something like:

1. DLB
2. Brodie McAlister
3. Alaalatoa
4. Dunshea
5. Romano
6. Douglas
7. Christie
8. Whitelock (c)
9. Drummond
10. Cameron
11. ?
12. Bateman
13. Punivai
14. ?
15. McKay

16. Siataga
17. Allan
18. Tokolahi/Jager
19. Tucker
20. Prinsep/Harmon
21. Enari
22. ?
23. ?

Obviously the All Black squad (particularly the availability of Ennor/Bridge) could change that.

Wish they'd list the squad by position, as I have no idea who some of these new guys are. I guess finding out is part of the excitement of this competition though! Bring it on.

I can't see Bridge making the RWC squad, especially given that Ben Smith is likely to be used as a winger instead of a fullback So this is likely to be our first choice backline.

15. Josh McKay
14. Junior Ratuva
13. Ngani Punivai
12. Tim Bateman
11. George Bridge
10. Brett Cameron
9. Mitch Drummond

Not a bad backline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:

1. DLB
2. Brodie McAlister
3. Alaalatoa
4. Dunshea
5. Romano
6. Douglas
7. Christie
8. Whitelock (c)
9. Drummond
10. Cameron
11. ?
12. Bateman
13. Punivai
14. ?
15. McKay

16. Siataga
17. Allan
18. Tokolahi/Jager
19. Tucker
20. Prinsep/Harmon
21. Enari
22. ?
23. ?

I can't see Bridge making the RWC squad, especially given that Ben Smith is likely to be used as a winger instead of a fullback So this is likely to be our first choice backline.

15. Josh McKay
14. Junior Ratuva
13. Ngani Punivai
12. Tim Bateman
11. George Bridge
10. Brett Cameron
9. Mitch Drummond

Not a bad backline.

Yeah that looks like a decent backline, probably swap Bridge & McKay. I still think that with Cameron at 10 we'll struggle to really threaten for the title. Will be interested to see how Fergus Burke, this year's U20s first-five, goes when given a chance. Hopefully another ten off the production line.

The other player that I'll be watching closely is Tom Christie. With Todd leaving (has that been officially confirmed?) and Harmon never really impressing at 7, openside looms as an area of concern for the Crusaders next year. As a former U20s captain, Christie is the man most likely to fill that void.

As always, Taranaki look strong - especially with the likes of Naholo, TTT, Perofeta, Walden, and Wainui in the backline, while Auckland will be hard to beat as defending champs.

To me, Tasman looks like favourites though. Their first choice forward pack is ridiculous, along with plenty of quality in the backline. They could easily line up with something like:

1. Perry/Crockett
2. Makalio
3. Lomax/Moli (pending AB selection)
4. Parkinson
5. Strange
6. Frizell
7. Taufua
8. Squire
9. Christie
10. Hunt
11. Faingaanuku
12. Nankivell
13. Aumua
14. Jordan
15. Havili

That forward pack is by far the best in the competition, and there's Super Rugby experience throughout the backline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:48 am 

mrbrownstone wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:

1. DLB
2. Brodie McAlister
3. Alaalatoa
4. Dunshea
5. Romano
6. Douglas
7. Christie
8. Whitelock (c)
9. Drummond
10. Cameron
11. ?
12. Bateman
13. Punivai
14. ?
15. McKay

16. Siataga
17. Allan
18. Tokolahi/Jager
19. Tucker
20. Prinsep/Harmon
21. Enari
22. ?
23. ?

15. Josh McKay
14. Junior Ratuva
13. Ngani Punivai
12. Tim Bateman
11. George Bridge
10. Brett Cameron
9. Mitch Drummond

Not a bad backline.

Yeah that looks like a decent backline, probably swap Bridge & McKay. I still think that with Cameron at 10 we'll struggle to really threaten for the title. Will be interested to see how Fergus Burke, this year's U20s first-five, goes when given a chance. Hopefully another ten off the production line.

The other player that I'll be watching closely is Tom Christie. With Todd leaving (has that been officially confirmed?) and Harmon never really impressing at 7, openside looms as an area of concern for the Crusaders next year. As a former U20s captain, Christie is the man most likely to fill that void.

As always, Taranaki look strong - especially with the likes of Naholo, TTT, Perofeta, Walden, and Wainui in the backline, while Auckland will be hard to beat as defending champs.

To me, Tasman looks like favourites though. Their first choice forward pack is ridiculous, along with plenty of quality in the backline. They could easily line up with something like:

1. Perry/Crockett
2. Makalio
3. Lomax/Moli (pending AB selection)
4. Parkinson
5. Strange
6. Frizell
7. Taufua
8. Squire
9. Christie
10. Hunt
11. Faingaanuku
12. Nankivell
13. Aumua
14. Jordan
15. Havili

That forward pack is by far the best in the competition, and there's Super Rugby experience throughout the backline.

Where's Alaimalo gone ?
Hope he's not warming the bench again , he's welcome back at Okara park.

Edit: I see waikato have poached him. :x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm 

So Southland v Northland to get us started? At least this gives me something to watch Thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:24 am 

Northland named
Quote:
1 Isileli Tu'ungafasi - Mid Northern
2 Jordan Olsen -Mid Northern - Captain
3 Corey Te Whata-Colley -Western Sharks - Debut
4 Temo Mayanavanua - Waipu
5 Josh Goodhue - Kamo
6 Sam McNamara - Waipu
7 Matt Matich - Western Sharks
8 Aorangi Stokes - OBM
9 Sam Nock - Kerikeri
10 Jack Debreczeni - Eastern
11 Pisi Leilua - Waipu - Debut
12 Blake Hohaia - Kamo
13 Matt Johnson - OBM - Debut
14 Jordan Hyland - Wellsford
15 Scott Gregory - Hikurangi

REPLACEMENTS
16 Paddy Jo Atkins - Wellsford
17 Ross Wright - Wellsford
18 Jack Straker - Kamo
19 Sam Caird - OBM - Debut
20 Kane Jacobson - Kamo
21 Will Grant - Hora Hora - Debut
22 Tom Smith - Kerikeri - Debut
23 Jonty Rae - OBM - Debu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 am 

comets wrote:
Northland named
Quote:
1 Isileli Tu'ungafasi - Mid Northern
2 Jordan Olsen -Mid Northern - Captain
3 Corey Te Whata-Colley -Western Sharks - Debut
4 Temo Mayanavanua - Waipu
5 Josh Goodhue - Kamo
6 Sam McNamara - Waipu
7 Matt Matich - Western Sharks
8 Aorangi Stokes - OBM
9 Sam Nock - Kerikeri
10 Jack Debreczeni - Eastern
11 Pisi Leilua - Waipu - Debut
12 Blake Hohaia - Kamo
13 Matt Johnson - OBM - Debut
14 Jordan Hyland - Wellsford
15 Scott Gregory - Hikurangi

REPLACEMENTS
16 Paddy Jo Atkins - Wellsford
17 Ross Wright - Wellsford
18 Jack Straker - Kamo
19 Sam Caird - OBM - Debut
20 Kane Jacobson - Kamo
21 Will Grant - Hora Hora - Debut
22 Tom Smith - Kerikeri - Debut
23 Jonty Rae - OBM - Debu

Seven debutants says a lot. Although Nock/Debreczeni is a decent enough halves pairing that they should be in the game.

Will be most interested to see how Isi Tu'ungafasi develops after a few brief appearances for the Crusaders this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:48 am 

Taranaki team for the Counties match not named yet but the squad is listed here:
https://www.trfu.co.nz/TARANAKI-BULLS/TEAM-2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:05 am 

^ already in OP, Waikato the only team left to submit a team..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:55 pm 

Waikato named, Sweeney will never retire lol, alaimalo poached, tudreu from manawatu, the return of a fijian legend in api naikatini in like 8 years, sprogs of bruce reihana and Fijian giant prop, joe veitayaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:04 am 

Auckland losing Suli Vunivalu to Loig was one of the dumbest thing that club has done but good to see Canterbury poach one back with Junior Ratuva

https://www.facebook.com/MelbStormRLC/v ... 5700050615

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 am 

Unfortunately the snow hasn't stuck around to shock those Northland boys like we've done in previous years. I fear this is our only chance of a win this season and Northland have been tracking reasonably well these last few years :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 am 

Not sure why, but the Northland V Southland clash usually ends up being a decent show. They seem to be quite well matched more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Unfortunately the snow hasn't stuck around to shock those Northland boys like we've done in previous years. I fear this is our only chance of a win this season and Northland have been tracking reasonably well these last few years :(

It'll still be a bloody cold Thursday evening, another freak storm inbound too I believe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

It'll still be a bloody cold Thursday evening, another freak storm inbound too I believe

The mighty Taniwha don't usually handle these long overseas away games very well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 am 

comets wrote:
Waikato named, Sweeney will never retire lol, alaimalo poached, tudreu from manawatu, the return of a fijian legend in api naikatini in like 8 years, sprogs of bruce reihana and Fijian giant prop, joe veitayaki

Rivez Reihana is no relation to Bruce. Rivez is a Northlander, who headed to the Tron to study/rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am 

Grizz Wyllie wrote:
comets wrote:

Rivez Reihana is no relation to Bruce. Rivez is a Northlander, who headed to the Tron to study/rugby.

Reihana hapu is from Hokianga.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 am 

grouch wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

The mighty Taniwha don't usually handle these long overseas away games very well.

Exactly. I recall Norm Berryman (RIP) and friends travelling south for a bottom of the table clash for the wooden spoon. Snowed two days before the game and half the team had never seen it before. Training in tracksuits, beanies and gloves, they looked hellishly out of their comfort zone. We won that one. Shame is most of our team are imports these days, they won't be used to it either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am 

Grizz Wyllie wrote:
comets wrote:

What the fuck is his first name? Bruce would be ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 pm 

Rivez's mum is Bruce's sister...and thru his father's side he actually qualifies for Fiji too (Kneepkens family)

that said just found out that Big Joe Veitayaki that former chiefs prop hs 2 sons named for Waikato, Manawa and Herieta..both props.. obviously..one played for maoris last month

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:22 am 

People overseas (NH) that watch this, will they be showing it there? and if so, which channels (so i can find feeds beforehand)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:36 am 

comets wrote:
Rivez's mum is Bruce's sister...and thru his father's side he actually qualifies for Fiji too (Kneepkens family)

that said just found out that Big Joe Veitayaki that former chiefs prop hs 2 sons named for Waikato, Manawa and Herieta..both props.. obviously..one played for maoris last month

Any ideas why Haereiti goes under the name Hetet?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 am 

Auckland are in for a shot I think. Stuff have ranked them the third seed behind Tasman and Canterbury. Personally I'd rate them second seed behind Canterbury.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 am 

UncleFB wrote:
comets wrote:

i figured he was not "legal" or something, you know Maori women love them 140 kg beef stud, i suppose 2 wives, one maori, one fijian but no bad blood, teh boys get along so all good..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:06 am 

comets wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
comets wrote:

i figured he was not "legal" or something, you know Maori women love them 140 kg beef stud, i suppose 2 wives, one maori, one fijian but no bad blood, teh boys get along so all good..

I think 'Manawa' is Maori too?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 am 

Crazy bugger...

Quote:
Arguably the Southland Stags' most loyal supporter is bracing himself for another big season.

Lindsay Beer's commitment to his beloved Stags team can not be questioned given he has missed just two of Southland's national provincial championship games - home and away - during the last 21 seasons.

For many of those games Beer's wife Bronwyn has also attended with her passion for the Stags mirroring that of her husband. Of the two games Beer has missed, one was because of work commitments, the other was a 2016 game in New Plymouth when he endured a travel hiccup. He caught the flight to New Plymouth but bad weather diverted it to Auckland. Beer jumped on a bus from Auckland to New Plymouth but by the time he arrived the game was over. He made the after match function and the coach at the time, Hoani McDonald, provided some comfort by saying it counted, Beer said. "It was frustrating, I think it was the only game in [Jason Rutledge's 138 game] career that I missed."

He considered not travelling to away games this season, but not because the Stags were on a losing run. He pondered if he had spent enough money on flights and considered "growing old gracefully" watching Southland's away games from the couch. But he thought better of it. For the 22nd straight season he intends to attend every Stags game. It starts on Thursday night when the Stags opens their 2019 Mitre 10 Cup game against Northland.

So why does he love provincial rugby and the Stags so much? "I reckon the NPC is the best competition in the world, I just hope they don't tinker with it too much," Beer said. "Also supporting a smaller province, you have the lows, but it makes the good times even sweeter." Southland's last win dates back to October 8, 2016 but Beer believed the Stags made progress under coach Dave Hewett last year. "We were knocking at the door [last season] so there's plenty to be positive about for the [2019] season."

What made Beer and his wife's travels throughout the country that bit more special was the way many of the players have treated them over the years, he said.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/114807048/southland-stags-most-loyal-supporter-ready-for-another-season-travelling-new-zealand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:20 am 

Quote:
I reckon the NPC is the best competition in the world...

He's right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:32 am 

C'mon Bluuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeee!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:32 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Grizz Wyllie wrote:
comets wrote:

What the fuck is his first name? Bruce would be ashamed.

M8. M88888. They're what you go swimmming / fishing in if you haven't got an ocean nearby.

Have you had a recent head knock?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am 

first game on
https://live-stream365.com/onlineplayer ... id=864414/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 am 

ALL Northland, yet Southland score the opening try. :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next