Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magician
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:46 pm 

Unfilmed. Why?

Post subject: Re: Magician
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 pm 

Struck me when reading it that it would be difficult to make it work on screen. The story is somewhat formulaic and almost corny at times. Feist makes it work, but whether a director could put it together without turning it into a parody of itself would be an expensive question to answer.

I went on a Feist binge a few years ago and read pretty much everything he wrote. The man has a serious body of work, so plenty of material there to build a franchise on, but again, transfering something like the Serpent War Saga to the screen would be challenging. Could keep Serkis in work for a decade or two though.

Personally I'd love to see Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy put into production. Ninefingers is such a great character.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 am 

Macsimus wrote:
Personally I'd love to see Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy put into production. Ninefingers is such a great character.

Second the motion your honour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am 

Macsimus wrote:
Struck me when reading it that it would be difficult to make it work on screen. The story is somewhat formulaic and almost corny at times. Feist makes it work, but whether a director could put it together without turning it into a parody of itself would be an expensive question to answer.

I went on a Feist binge a few years ago and read pretty much everything he wrote. The man has a serious body of work, so plenty of material there to build a franchise on, but again, transfering something like the Serpent War Saga to the screen would be challenging. Could keep Serkis in work for a decade or two though.

Agree.

It's super formulaic but could work.

Young orphan is apprenticed to a wizard. Aliens invade. Orphan becomes most powerful wizard ever and best friend bonks an elf.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 am 

Maybe a Television mini series :?:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm 

Shin Lim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm 

Wasn't this considered 'unfilmable', a bit like LOTR?

It's been a while since they filmed a big fantasy movie in NZ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:47 pm 

Macsimus wrote:

It's no less cumbersome than GOT and certainly less long winded.

The Feist stuff lends to a number of different arcs but if it ever got to the later books people would be wondering what the actual fúck is going on.

Ideally the Riftwar Saga would be filmed as a 4 movie series (Magician x 2, Silverthorn, Darkness) or a long mini series. The Seige of Armengar on big screen :o make Helms deep look soft.

I'd probably suggest that only those, the prince books and the serpent war saga should be anywhere near tv/film

Edit: Oh and the Empire books which are the best ones too clearly.

Last edited by earl the beaver on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Macsimus wrote:

Agree.

It's super formulaic but could work.

Young orphan is apprenticed to a wizard. Aliens invade. Orphan becomes most powerful wizard ever and best friend bonks an elf.

It rips off loads of shit tbf, the whole elvish culture is stolen from Tolkein, Luke, er sorry Pug, going to train with mysterious other beings in the wilderness like Star Wars etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 pm 

Serpent war saga as a fantasy dirty dozen would be epic :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 pm 

Are the books after the original three worth reading?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 pm 

Risteard wrote:

The Empire Books are superb.

Prince of the Blood and The King's Bucaneer are very good

The 4 books in the Serpent War saga are entertaining but not as good as the above.

I quite like Conclave of Shadows books but I'd read all of the above and decide whether you want to carry on with them as they are quite weird/shit at times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Risteard wrote:

The 4 books in the Serpent War saga are entertaining but not as good as the above.

I quite like Conclave of Shadows books but I'd read all of the above and decide whether you want to carry on with them as they are quite weird/shit at times.

Thanks. Been a while since I've read a fantasy book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 pm 

Lucius wrote:
Macsimus wrote:

Hell yes. Was talking to my mate about that the other day.

Say one thing about logan ninefingers...

Back to the mud...

Black Dow would be badass as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Risteard wrote:

That's a good sumation :thumbup: The Empire books are great and would be very filmable. I also liked the Conclave books, though I was probably a bit jaded with Feist's stuff by the time i got to them to properly enjoy them.

RuggaBugga wrote:
Lucius wrote:
Macsimus wrote:

Back to the mud...

You have to be realistic about these things.....

Who would you cast for ninefingers? Huge Ackman is probably getting on enough that he could do a job? Has form for doing a decent job of playing a Logan. Probably a bit small, but they can work around these things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Lucius wrote:
Macsimus wrote:

Back to the mud...

Probably my favorite series. Must give them a re read

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:34 pm 

Salient wrote:
Maybe a Television mini series :?:

Read this book around 94 and all i recall is that it was good and the main characterisation was called Pug. Would be quite expensive doing a fantasy-adventure story like this but Netflix has shown they are prepared to greenlight lightweight fluff like Friends from College that i wouldn't even consider filler programming and then terribly expensive programs like Sense8 and Baz Luhrmann's Get Down so it's something they might do and Apple has just announced massive spending on original content too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:58 pm 

Netflix's programming costs appear to be driving their business model into the ground.

They spend too much on shite concepts. While I love Magician, this may fall into that category as not mainstream enough. The Empire books on the other hand....political intrigue, strong female role model, GOT type blend of politics and fighting, would be a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm 

bealonian wrote:
Netflix's programming costs appear to be driving their business model into the ground.

They spend too much on shite concepts. While I love Magician, this may fall into that category as not mainstream enough. The Empire books on the other hand....political intrigue, strong female role model, GOT type blend of politics and fighting, would be a winner.

You never have any idea about what Midkemia is, why slaves are there, the role of the great ones etc without Magician.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm 

Could be good but Feist does wank on a bit in the series. GOT is a load of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:06 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
bealonian wrote:

You never have any idea about what Midkemia is, why slaves are there, the role of the great ones etc without Magician.

You wouldn't need to. Midkemia is ancillary to the Empire series and, if you like, you could substitute any subjugated territory as the rebellious ones.
You could also use it to test the popularity waters with the greater strategy bringing along the Magician as a prequel / parallel story once the success has been proven.

Just as long as it's not as bad as "The Abortion of Shannara" done recently by MTV.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 pm 

Feist's later books are even more formulaic. The books build and build and are then wrapped up in the last two or three chapters with vaguely Deus ex Machina outcomes.
Enjoyable books though. I still have the last few waiting to be read.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:14 pm 

Quote:
Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga - one of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling fantasy series in history - has been optioned for adaptation into a TV series by BCDF Pictures. Atomic Blonde screenwriter Kurt Johnstad has been attached to the project, which will also see mobile content developed by Fiction Riot starting early in 2019.

Based on the setting of an original role-playing game that Feist and his friends ran together, The Riftwar Cycle is one of the longest-running fantasy series of all time, having spanned 30 full novels and three short stories over three decades. The Riftwar Cycle is made up of several sagas, with the first three books (Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon) being known collectively as The Riftwar Saga. Other sagas in The Riftwar Cycle include The Serpentwar Saga, The Darkwar Saga, The Demonwar Saga and The Chaoswar Saga. Feist's novels have been translated into 25 different languages, and sold over 20 million individual copies worldwide since 1982.

Related: 10 Fantasy Projects Currently In Development (And 10 Rumored)

Deadline reported on the deal, which will see Feist serving as a producer on the new show. Feist is notoriously protective of his work and has only allowed it to be adapted on three earlier occasions - twice to make computer role-playing games utilizing his setting, and once into a graphic novel format by Marvel Comics.

Feist: I’ve been talking to film and TV people about adapting my work since the publication of Magician in 1982. I have said no repeatedly to deals simply because the ‘fit,’ was wrong. I am delighted to have finally met people with the understanding of the work and vision to match my own in bringing The Riftwar Saga to series television. I look forward to working with the talented crew at BCDF as much as they need and am excited at finally seeing Magician on the screen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:21 pm 

Cut to

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm 

Loved that film as a nipper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm 

Magician is exceptional, as is the Empire series, but the rest is of much lower quality, ranging from good to pretty poor.