Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7494, 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500 ... 7540  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:28 pm 

Lenny wrote:
DOB wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Zebo was the only player to disappoint really. Sweetnam should have been brought ahead of him.

He's off the pace of the game for whatever reason. I don't subscribe to the view that he's carrying poundage, because I believe that if he pitched up overweight to the Irish camp Joe would throw him out, and he wouldn't get back too quickly. He looks like a guy who is carrying a few jiggly injuries, none of which on their is serious enough for him to miss a game, but cumulatively are fcuking him up. I'll be surprised if he features next Saturday, and I'd like to see a a back three of Earls, ROL and TOH.

For me a big disappointment was that Japan finished with a 100% return from their lineout, and we didn't make any impression on it in the game. They showed great variety, but I would have expected, given the height disparity, that we would have at least pressured them into s few mistakes or some scrappy takes, but we really were poor on their ball.

Toner isn't really a good defensive lineout player. He's doesn't have the quickness of feet and thought required.
Roux isn't a top notch lineout operator either.

I can't imagine that "getting at the Japanese lineout" would have been a major consideration going into the game, not nearly so much as it would have been against England or Wales in the 6N, or against SH oppo in November.

I'd have thought that denying the opposition quality primary possession would be high on the agenda in any game regardless of who you're playing.

Rewatch Ireland vs Italy from the 6N.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 am 

Is POM really in with a shout of captaining the Lions in a test match this Saturday?

That would be quite funny considering the abuse he has gotten on here from our resident rugby experts over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 am 

Rumham wrote:
Is POM really in with a shout of captaining the Lions in a test match this Saturday?

That would be quite funny considering the abuse he has gotten on here from our resident rugby experts over the years.

Don't think anyone ever doubted his captaincy credentials.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 am 

Rumham wrote:

PoM and Murray playing a lions test together would be nice to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:18 am 

CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Yes they have Stats - any number of jibes about the angry face and how could he be captain when he shouldn't be in team.

Even last week lads saying how they don't rate him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 am 

Can't see him starting this one. He's one of the five players in the back two rows that deserve to be there on form. But most likely of the five to lose out to warburton and AWJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 am 

Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Yes they have Stats - any number of jibes about the angry face and how could he be captain when he shouldn't be in team.

Difficult to groupthink him out of the Ireland team after this tour but the lads will manage it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Can't see him starting this one. He's one of the five players in the back two rows that deserve to be there on form. But most likely of the five to lose out to warburton and AWJ

Don't know, Sky started the hype machine earlier on so there's a good chance of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:54 am 

Diego's official picked on merit Lions 23 which will bear no relation to the actual team:

15: Watson
14: Williams
13: Davies
12: Farrell
11: Daly
10: Sexton
9: Murray

1: Vunipola
2: George
3: Furlong
4: Kruis
5: Itoje
6: POM
7: SOB
8: Faletau

16: Owens
17: McGrath
18: Sinckler
19: Henderson
20: Stander
21: Webb
22: Te'o
23: North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 am 

Jared to 7, problem solved for Ulster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am 

Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

He did nothing last weekend other than talk to the ref. Had no impact on the match. We all turned into stattos the other week to stick the boot into Warburton for his lack of tackles and carries, POM was even worse. He made one tackle in the entire match, along with a mighty three carries. Think that's good enough for a Lions test back row?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Jared to 7, problem solved for Ulster

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Just got looking at the stats so far, Henderson with 7 tackles already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 am 

danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

He did nothing last weekend other than talk to the ref. Had no impact on the match. We all turned into stattos the other week to stick the boot into Warburton for his lack of tackles and carries, POM was even worse. He made one tackle in the entire match, along with a mighty three carries. Think that's good enough for a Lions test back row?

Warren Gatland does.

You don't rate him I get it - thats fine. Leinster good - Munster bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 am 

Trivia stat I came across yesterday:

Total points the Lions have conceded in the second half of Saturday matches: nil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am 

Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Warren Gatland does.

You don't rate him I get it - thats fine. Leinster good - Munster bad.

I've given you the exact reasons why I thought he didn't play well and the response is whaaa Leinster.

Tell me what he did well.

Last edited by danthefan on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Jaysus you really hate the lad.

Just tell me what he did well lads. I could obviously be wrong. Should be easy enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 am 

Dan, there's a lot more to backrow play than carries, the tight defence stuff is what PoM does really well, not Flash like your boy VDF, but it makes a team tick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 am 

danthefan wrote:
Just tell me what he did well lads. I could obviously be wrong. Should be easy enough.

http://threeredkings.com/the-gif-room-s ... he-unseen/

Read this - of course it is biased - but he's being consistently picked by loads of coaches cause he is useless - sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Dan, there's a lot more to backrow play than carries, the tight defence stuff is what PoM does really well, not Flash like your boy VDF, but it makes a team tick.

No - if you're not making loads of carries or massive bursts you're awful.

Not an identical comparison and not same players obviously - but bit like Richard Hill was for that Tan team - wasn't a stat monster - but did a tonne of work that let the others flourish.

We've all played on teams were everyone wants to carry and get on ball - but the lad who just ploughs around all day and hits rucks is crucial to it - this is just at a higher level.

Would of course like to see him make more hits - don't think there is any doubt he will v the Blacks. He will have to.

Last edited by Banana Man on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am 

Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Read this - of course it is biased - but he's being consistently picked by loads of coaches cause he is useless - sure.

Grand I'll give it a read.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 am 

Why does Statto despise POM?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:19 am 

danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Watch Tipuric today, playing the same role.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 am 

Massey Ferguson wrote:

It's Dan, easy to confuse as Dan constantly quotes PoMs stats to have a go at him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 am 

Massey Ferguson wrote:

Because he doesn't provide him with enough stats to jack off to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

vdF is probably the least flashy flanker in Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

I can't, someone will have to write a gif filled article in his defence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Massey Ferguson wrote:

It's Dan, easy to confuse as Dan constantly quotes PoMs stats to have a go at him.

:lol: Typed that, then got distracted for a while before posting and Dan had picked up the baton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 am 

danthefan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

I can't, someone will have to write a gif filled article in his defence.

Take those claws out Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 am 

Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

I'll be honest and say he brings more to a team from his will to win than his play. I'd take Leavy as a player every day of the week. At this stage I'd take POM as a competitor. He is an excellent lineout operator.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am 

danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Typical clueless shite by Cammy-lite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 am 

Edit, why on earth am I replying to jumper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 am 

danthefan wrote:
Edit, why on earth am I replying to jumper.

You're all flustered because you were talking shite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

I'll be honest and say he brings more to a team from his will to win than his play. I'd take Leavy as a player every day of the week. At this stage I'd take POM as a competitor. He is an excellent lineout operator.

There's always another Leinster option about to board the hype train. We've an Irish guy in contention for the Lions Test side and that's what you're coming out with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

There's always another Leinster option about to board the hype train. We've an Irish guy in contention to captain the Lions Test side and that's what you're coming out with.

Let's get it right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am 

Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

He lays it on a bit there. The clearout gif could easily have been a penalty against POM, for no bind at the ruck, shoulders below hips, going off his feet; yes any of those calls would have been harsh, but the way refs have been treating the Lions on this tour, would anyone have been surprised?

Even at that, showing one cleanout, for a 6, immediately off an 8-pick at a scrum, is not going to convince anyone of the guy's workrate. It's bread and butter work. If he hadnt made that cleanout, there'd be severe "does he even belong on this tour" questions to ask.

And then he shows POM lifting in the lineout. And a lot of the lads praising the guy now laughed when it was suggested that Toner offers a lot as a lifter. And the defensive lineout he shows, the Lions didn't even get a jumper up in direct contest to the MABs pod, and it was only a shocking throw that led to the turnover.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 am 

Missed match, which Irish played well?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 am 

Floppykid wrote:

Toner and Leavy both had blinders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25 am 

Floppykid wrote:

Payne and Best were very good from what I saw.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am 

Massey Ferguson wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Massey Ferguson wrote:

:lol: Typed that, then got distracted for a while before posting and Dan had picked up the baton.

Dan's on a solo run here (well, DOB seems to be getting in on the act). I've never really had a go at POM but certainly haven't in years. My only real problem with him is that we need to compensate for his average carrying work elsewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7494, 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499, 7500 ... 7540  Next