Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8697, 8698, 8699, 8700, 8701, 8702, 8703 ... 8830  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:52 pm 

Scotland losing to USA is telling. Granted it was a weakened team, and I think the Scottish posters are right it's all on Townsend. But I think it shows how naive he is as a coach. I don't think they have the skills to consistently play the game he wants them to play. And as it stands they have no depth. They had 1 and half good performances in the 6N, nearly lost to Italy and got tonked by Ireland and Wales. Their baseline is probably something like the France game which they could have easily lost.

I think we should easily account for them in the RWC, but home advantage will see it tighter in the 6N. Only thing that might upset this is the improvements at Edinburgh under Cockerill. I think they'll have a much better pack than Glasgow next season and will overtake them as the no 1 Scottish side. Not just because Russell is leaving(He'll bomb at Racing IMO and he'll also be called back mid 6N twice), their pack is fairly weak and they've signed no one of note.

Much as it stung at the time losing to them in 2017 might have been a blessing in disguise for the RWC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:58 am 

grimoald wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I also have a theory that keeping the attack narrow is part of our gaime management for Murray and the pack.

I think you’re completely right on that, we attack and defend narrow to provide more support and cover for the fact it isn’t the quickest team.

But we could still really do with someone who can step in as second playmaker, which most teams have, not just to distribute but also to organise.

A perfect example was when Murray put in the shitty cross kick. Sexton was at the bottom of the ruck and while Ringrose was first receiver, our back line at that point was Ringrose, Henshaw, Furlong and Larmour, and it was super flat/static and poorly spaced. You needed a guy to bollock the people outside him to get some shape and attack the line.

Part of that is coaching but it is also having the players with that ability/intent.

When you are defending us you know that the ball is going to a forward or it is going through Sexton, most other top sides have a few more options.

It's not just that. Murray and Furlong (to a lesser extent)are going to play 70+ minutes. If there's a back or 2nd row injury then someones gonna have to be kept in reserve. Also if Murray is your main play amker you need to keep him fresh. He's the only SH(excepting Marmion, Cooney and McGrath) with more passes/kicks than minutes played. It's not close, nop other tier one side gets their Sh on the ball as much as us and it appears the provinces work on the same basis.

That's probably the best argument that's been made but I still disagree. I'm not convinced that Olding or Scannell would be calling the shots like that and as I see it most of the time we need the crash ball 12 who does that to a really high standard.

Now if our option at 9 were Youngs or Davies I could be convinced of the need for another play maker at 12. But we have Murray. He's a more reliable and creative 9 than any of the 12s available at the minute.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 am 

First win in Aus in 40 years and the thread hits page 2. Shocking stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am 

danthefan wrote:

Pure arrogance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Pure arrogance

I think it would be nice if all our Munster and Ulster friends could come and say a big thank you to Leinster for supplying the coach and most of the players who made this possible. Would keep the thread up the top of page 1. Off you go lads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 am 

Was nice to see Stander pass a bit on Saturday :thumbup:

Last edited by Diego on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:48 am 

danthefan wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Pure arrogance

I think it would be nice if all our Munster and Ulster friends could come and say a big thank you to Leinster for supplying the coach and most of the players who made this possible. Would keep the thread up the top of page 1. Off you go lads.

I was thinking of an apology to Dev Toner thread but if all those who made tit's of themselves slagging him off apologise here then it should keep it on page 1 for a good while. Off ye go lads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 am 

Spare a thought for Sean Cronin in all of this, victim of the greatest injustice ever last week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Spare a thought for Sean Cronin in all of this, victim of the greatest injustice ever last week.

Scannell and Herring both did quite well. It's poor management to bring on a sub when you have kicked to the corner and not throw to 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am 

paddyor wrote:
grimoald wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I also have a theory that keeping the attack narrow is part of our gaime management for Murray and the pack.

I think you’re completely right on that, we attack and defend narrow to provide more support and cover for the fact it isn’t the quickest team.

But we could still really do with someone who can step in as second playmaker, which most teams have, not just to distribute but also to organise.

A perfect example was when Murray put in the shitty cross kick. Sexton was at the bottom of the ruck and while Ringrose was first receiver, our back line at that point was Ringrose, Henshaw, Furlong and Larmour, and it was super flat/static and poorly spaced. You needed a guy to bollock the people outside him to get some shape and attack the line.

Part of that is coaching but it is also having the players with that ability/intent.

When you are defending us you know that the ball is going to a forward or it is going through Sexton, most other top sides have a few more options.

It's not just that. Murray and Furlong (to a lesser extent)are going to play 70+ minutes. If there's a back or 2nd row injury then someones gonna have to be kept in reserve. Also if Murray is your main play amker you need to keep him fresh. He's the only SH(excepting Marmion, Cooney and McGrath) with more passes/kicks than minutes played. It's not close, nop other tier one side gets their Sh on the ball as much as us and it appears the provinces work on the same basis.

That's probably the best argument that's been made but I still disagree. I'm not convinced that Olding or Scannell would be calling the shots like that and as I see it most of the time we need the crash ball 12 who does that to a really high standard.

Now if our option at 9 were Youngs or Davies I could be convinced of the need for another play maker at 12. But we have Murray. He's a more reliable and creative 9 than any of the 12s available at the minute.

Would love to see Carbery at 15 for this next one. Would give Ross Byrne an in to the matchday 23 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:03 am 

Lads, I king hit the fudge out of my son playing football in the garden yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Dont think another playmaker at 12 is what Joe wants, if you do you’ve got 9-10-12-13 who can all make sometjing happen which in itself is no bad thing but isn’t how Joe sets up to play. This is assuming Ringrose is at 13 as well

Joe’s 12 is clearly someone who will make the tackles and hit the rucks more all day but not offer too much in attack rather than a Scannell or Olding who can play the ball a bit more but may lack something in defense

Having a playmaker at 15 would have been perfect to come in to the line when needed but there’s no one that really fits the bill after Payne, who was defensively sound at 15 but also a really good attacker. Conway is probably the best we have in terms of someone similar to Payne but even still theres a contrast in style and a bit of a difference in class

Not going to name he who should be named, but there’s a player leaving that could easily fit the bill of an attacking 15.
Anyway, he’s gone, and we need a player to spark something for our backs, no issues with any of the wings because they all work hard but 12/13 and 15 can be easily marshalled as things stand.

The biggest priority with 12, 13, 15 is to give nothing away. Particularly with the centres, it is all about fighting for every inch on the gainline and giving nothing away. There is obviously an effort to bring some guile into the equation and all four main contenders are capable of it to some degree. Aki struggled and bit against Italy and then cut loose. Then he struggled last week. Farrell showed good hands on the gainline and then got injured. Henshaw can do the nuts and bolts. Ringrose is quality all over the park.

The overall gameplan is the same as Leinster back in the day, retain the ball, squeeze the opposition, play smart rugby and wait for their system to break down. When they end up with their reserve 9 trying to stop Furlong from 5 yards, thats when the breakthrough occurs. There are exciting carriers in the pack and both wingers can do a lot of damage coming inside, it doesn't have to be all about going wide after 3 phases.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Pure arrogance

I was thinking of an apology to Dev Toner thread but if all those who made tit's of themselves slagging him off apologise here then it should keep it on page 1 for a good while. Off ye go lads.

Look, they know who they are, we know who they are, let's just see if they do the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am 

Diego wrote:

Actually thought he had an excellent game - his carries had that initial "bosh" that sends lads flying back on the first hit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am 

Back last night from a 3 night stag in Glasgow.....

I am not right..... driving to work today I saw a dog and got all upset cause I didn't have one. Then I started thinking about funerals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 am 

Banana Man wrote:

I am not right..... driving to work today I saw a dog and got all upset cause I didn't have one. Then I started thinking about funerals.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 am 

Banana Man wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am 

Banana Man wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Diego wrote:

Actually thought he had an excellent game - his carries had that initial "bosh" that sends lads flying back on the first hit.

Yeah he was good. Some man for the leg drive.

POM was bloody excellent I thought. Brilliant at the breakdown and was very busy as a carrier. I do wish he was a bit more dynamic when he has the ball though. There's a touch of the Paulie flop about his style and he doesn't use much footwork prior to contact. Contrast him with someone like Leavy who's no bigger but has much better body position and evasion leading to much more metres and some breaks/half breaks. Minor gripe though, you can't have anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Dont think another playmaker at 12 is what Joe wants, if you do you’ve got 9-10-12-13 who can all make sometjing happen which in itself is no bad thing but isn’t how Joe sets up to play. This is assuming Ringrose is at 13 as well

Joe’s 12 is clearly someone who will make the tackles and hit the rucks more all day but not offer too much in attack rather than a Scannell or Olding who can play the ball a bit more but may lack something in defense

Having a playmaker at 15 would have been perfect to come in to the line when needed but there’s no one that really fits the bill after Payne, who was defensively sound at 15 but also a really good attacker. Conway is probably the best we have in terms of someone similar to Payne but even still theres a contrast in style and a bit of a difference in class

Not going to name he who should be named, but there’s a player leaving that could easily fit the bill of an attacking 15.
Anyway, he’s gone, and we need a player to spark something for our backs, no issues with any of the wings because they all work hard but 12/13 and 15 can be easily marshalled as things stand.

The biggest priority with 12, 13, 15 is to give nothing away. Particularly with the centres, it is all about fighting for every inch on the gainline and giving nothing away. There is obviously an effort to bring some guile into the equation and all four main contenders are capable of it to some degree. Aki struggled and bit against Italy and then cut loose. Then he struggled last week. Farrell showed good hands on the gainline and then got injured. Henshaw can do the nuts and bolts. Ringrose is quality all over the park.

The overall gameplan is the same as Leinster back in the day, retain the ball, squeeze the opposition, play smart rugby and wait for their system to break down. When they end up with their reserve 9 trying to stop Furlong from 5 yards, thats when the breakthrough occurs. There are exciting carriers in the pack and both wingers can do a lot of damage coming inside, it doesn't have to be all about going wide after 3 phases.

I don't think anyone doesn't get that but we do get stuck in a loop of mindless carrying sometimes when there's space out wide. We only scored twice from a lot more attacks in their 22, we should be looking for a higher return.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am 

Banana Man wrote:

No way I'm letting good lads end up with a degenerate like you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:18 am 

Diego wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Diego wrote:

Yeah he was good. Some man for the leg drive.

POM was bloody excellent I thought. Brilliant at the breakdown and was very busy as a carrier. I do wish he was a bit more dynamic when he has the ball though. There's a touch of the Paulie flop about his style and he doesn't use much footwork prior to contact. Contrast him with someone like Leavy who's no bigger but has much better body position and evasion leading to much more metres and some breaks/half breaks. Minor gripe though, you can't have anything.

POM had his best game in years, really led the team and the captaincy allowed him a little extra leeway at the breakdown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am 

:lol: :lol:
Bman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 am 

Are Henderson and Stockdale fit for this weekend? Expect some epic filth from the aussies!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:25 am 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Are Henderson and Stockdale fit for this weekend? Expect some epic filth from the aussies!

Hopefully both are. Henderson will give some quality bench impact.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:25 am 

Banana Man wrote:

:lol: :lol: The dreaded fear.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 am 

Its not funny lads.... it has to stop.

3rd stag in 6 weeks.

I feel constipated and like I have the runs at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 am 

Banana Man wrote:

3rd stag in 6 weeks.

Suck it up you big wuss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:33 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

3rd stag in 6 weeks.

Suck it up you big wuss.

No.... I would rather moan and cry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:33 am 

Do we go Ryan/Toner again? Hendo on the bench? I'd really like to see more of Beirne though. If Leavy is out, I guess we could have both Hendo and Beirne benching?

Stockdale back in, I presume? Larmour to bench for the third time.

No problem if he wants to 'risk' Byrne instead of Carbery. I don't think he'll try someone else instead of Kearney but you never know. I'd love to see Larmour there instead of the more common suggestion of Carbery.

McGrath might come in for Healy (if he's fit to play at all). Not sure what he'll do at hooker but let's put Cronin in for the moment. So:

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, POM, Leavy/Murphy, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Larmour 8)

Scannell, Healy/Porter, Porter/Ryan, Hendo, Beirne, Cooney, Byrne, Henshaw

Slight risk there in back three cover so it'll more likely be Kearney or Conway, if fit, on the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am 

Beirne was interesting when he came on - looked to be hanging off from attacking the breakdown more than he does for the Scarlets. Was this due to instructions or is there just less scope to go for every ruck at international level?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am 

Diego wrote:
Beirne was interesting when he came on - looked to be hanging off from attacking the breakdown than he does for the Scarlets. Was this due to instructions or is there just less scope to go for every ruck at international level?

I'd say the pace was limiting opportunities and he was just looking to do simple stuff right. Wasn't the time for a highlights reel moment. We were winning and just needed to keep them out.
He was still hanging around most of the rucks, defending in close, so I'd say he was keeping himself nearby in case there was an opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am 

Not sure if we'll see Stockdale straight back into the starting side. We could see Conway start again with Stockdale on the bench.

I'd imagine that we'll see Scannell start again next week. He was brilliant on Saturday and really adds to our setpiece and tight work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am 

Diego wrote:
Beirne was interesting when he came on - looked to be hanging off from attacking the breakdown more than he does for the Scarlets. Was this due to instructions or is there just less scope to go for every ruck at international level?

Winning the game, adapting to the pace and the risk of giving away a lockable penalty on his debut I assume.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:40 am 

Jumper wrote:
Not sure if we'll see Stockdale straight back into the starting side. We could see Conway start again with Stockdale on the bench.

I'd imagine that we'll see Scannell start again next week. He was brilliant on Saturday and really adds to our setpiece and tight work.

Shurrup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am 

Banana Man wrote:

:lol: am imaging yourself, Tommy Tiernan, Michael Harding and Crusty Hoor drinking pints in Gus O'Connors pub in Doolin and composing something that Shane McGowan would be proud of

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 am 

Jumper wrote:

what's the consensus on Scannell's line-out ? genuinely curious - missed first 10 minutes of second half

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Jumper wrote:

what's the consensus on Scannell's line-out ? genuinely curious - missed first 10 minutes of second half

He's had one of two wobbles this season, but in general, he'd be the best thrower in the country. He has a bullet of a throw ala Flannery. The lineout was very good with him on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am 

Banana Man wrote:

So it was you lot that burned down the Rennie Mackintosh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 am 

Jumper wrote:

Scannell had an excellent game. Hopefully he re-takes the 2 shirt for Munster in the new season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8697, 8698, 8699, 8700, 8701, 8702, 8703 ... 8830  Next