Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9783, 9784, 9785, 9786, 9787, 9788, 9789 ... 10209  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
hermie wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
In a very disappointing move it appears leinster/irfu have given Roman Salanoa an academy contract for the season, becomes IQ'd after this season: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/academy-pl ... d=RS890020

Obviously not a fan of the move, but there ye go. :thumbdown:

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Leinster Rugby.

There's a subtle distinction in that regard alright. Cullen mentioned genetics in the aftermath of the Euro loss this season. Saracens have guys like Skelton, Itoje, the Vunipolas. It's very hard to compete with teams like that if your squad is 100% homegrown. The French sides are totally unscrupulous in this regard. This lad Salanoa will probably struggle to make it but it's inevitable that we would see a little bit of this sort of thing beginning to creep in.

So what you're saying is... Ulster are actually ahead of the game in world-wide player recruitment :thumbup:

Ulster haven't pulled NIQ players into the academy before, unlike Munster and now Leinster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:12 pm 

Except technically Salanoa is IQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:12 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Not yet he ain't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
hermie wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
In a very disappointing move it appears leinster/irfu have given Roman Salanoa an academy contract for the season, becomes IQ'd after this season: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/academy-pl ... d=RS890020

Obviously not a fan of the move, but there ye go. :thumbdown:

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Leinster Rugby.

There's a subtle distinction in that regard alright. Cullen mentioned genetics in the aftermath of the Euro loss this season. Saracens have guys like Skelton, Itoje, the Vunipolas. It's very hard to compete with teams like that if your squad is 100% homegrown. The French sides are totally unscrupulous in this regard. This lad Salanoa will probably struggle to make it but it's inevitable that we would see a little bit of this sort of thing beginning to creep in.

So what you're saying is... Ulster are actually ahead of the game in world-wide player recruitment :thumbup:

Ulster haven't pulled NIQ players into the academy before, unlike Munster and now Leinster.

We would if anyone of talent actually came to live in this hole.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Lads anyone know were the reduce to 60kph bit is on the M7 , is it still starting at Johnstown?

60?? That can't be right, I've never done 60 on that road

Roadworks going on since 2018.

All lanes are open now. It's 80kph for the moment but obviously moves quickly enough. Starts at Johnstown, yep.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm 

hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Lads anyone know were the reduce to 60kph bit is on the M7 , is it still starting at Johnstown?

Roadworks around Naas to turn the road into a 3 laner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:36 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Haley, Bealham and Cooney cut from squad.

Carbery confirmed at 4 - 6 weeks out.

thats a surprise..

Joe saving Ulster from having Shanahan and Stewart as their scrumhalves. Sickener for Cooney.

To me it looks like Cooney brings a lot of sharpness and variety to the attack. I'd have him a lot higher up the pecking order but Schmidt doesn't seem to be a fan. He must value McGrath's defence higher.

They are both decent players and they are fighting for no 3 SH in the squad but it seems odd that Cooney has had no look in whatsoever.

Remember the days when our no 1 SH would struggle to make any other tier 1 nation's team? Now we have 4 guys there who would do a job in green.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm 

hermie wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Leinsters pack during WC: Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Fardy, Deegan, Connors, Doris.

IF Penney is fit do you think Connors will be starting ahead of him? Do you reckon Baird will be fast tracked if so what position do you think he will end up?

Penny has had both shoulders operated on. Don't think he will be around for the start of the season. Could see Baird getting a few games at 6 to begin with, while he matures physically.

Penney is supposed to be back for start of season
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 96515.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

thats a surprise..

Joe saving Ulster from having Shanahan and Stewart as their scrumhalves. Sickener for Cooney.

To me it looks like Cooney brings a lot of sharpness and variety to the attack. I'd have him a lot higher up the pecking order but Schmidt doesn't seem to be a fan. He must value McGrath's defence higher.

They are both decent players and they are fighting for no 3 SH in the squad but it seems odd that Cooney has had no look in whatsoever.

Remember the days when our no 1 SH would struggle to make any other tier 1 nation's team? Now we have 4 guys there who would do a job in green.

Ulster is the first time Cooney has been able to establish himself as starting scrumhalf, I know he was quite injury prone but he was down the pecking order at Leinster and behind Marmion at Connacht. I always quite liked him but wonder what was holding him back at the other provinces - was he injured most of the time?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:46 pm 

Always injured. Was challenging Marmion for a starting spot with the westies until yet another injury caught him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:53 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Oh yeah fudge are those road works still going?? It starts by that big globe at the turn off for Naas. Probably too late now :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm 

CM11 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

All lanes are open now. It's 80kph for the moment but obviously moves quickly enough. Starts at Johnstown, yep.

That sounds a bit better thanks for that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm 

hermie wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Oh yeah fudge are those road works still going?? It starts by that big globe at the turn off for Naas. Probably too late now :blush:

The roadworks are still ongoing but all three lanes are open now in both directions.

The limit is 80, not 60.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:03 pm 

Coetzee starting for South Africa there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm 

Trostan wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
hermie wrote:
What kind of team do people think we'll see against England? Probably a stronger lineup. Maybe Furlong, Hendo, Ryan, Conan in the pack. I'd love to see good mates Cooney & Carty start at 9 & 10. We'll see if it happens. Maybe Addison at fullback with the first choice wingers either side of him? Any other thoughts?

I’d imagine the England match will be close to full strength, the first Welsh test squad members or combinations he wants to try out and the second Welsh test will see the xxiii he wants to play against Scotland. Centre must be bit of a conundrum now for Joe , Henshaw and Aki need gametime but he probably wants another look at Ringrose/ Farrell too . I’d say we’ll see something like this for England

Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
POM
VdF
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Henshaw
Earls
Kearney

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Ryan
Toner
Conan
Marmion
Carty
Larmour

So will Toner be substituting for Ryan and Ryan substituting for Toner?
Could be tricky in the timing. They could both be on the field twice at the same time

:lol: Hendie to start . The Ryan on the bench is prop John Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
CM11 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

That sounds a bit better thanks for that.

worried about a speeding van that was on the N7 today just past Circle K ?you were definitely in a 100 kph zone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm 

hermie wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

thats a surprise..

I think Joe must have something very specific against Cooney who is objectively a better passer and kicker than McGrath. Certainly McGrath's defence is excellent, as is his support play and he seems like the kind of character you would want in your squad to boot. But is that enough to have him so far ahead of Cooney to not even want to take a look at the latter? Does Cooney go off script too often or something like that?

Agree. Think it might just be just a Joe blind spot. He does have them once in a while...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm 

Or maybe he’s just a better judge of players than some of us ? He’s a former scrum half isn’t he so I take it he knows a bit about the position. He’s had both players under his management at Leinster too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:41 pm 

Former wing.

He let Cooney go in favour of McGrath.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:06 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Former wing.

He let Cooney go in favour of McGrath.

Must have been his son I was thinking of .

Still though, I reckon he knows his scrum halves better than us

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 pm 

RWC2015"[quote="RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

thats a surprise..

I think Joe must have something very specific against Cooney who is objectively a better passer and kicker than McGrath. Certainly McGrath's defence is excellent, as is his support play and he seems like the kind of character you would want in your squad to boot. But is that enough to have him so far ahead of Cooney to not even want to take a look at the latter? Does Cooney go off script too often or something like that?

Agree. Think it might just be just a Joe blind spot. He does have them once in a while...[/quote]

Joe has his own system in place and most of the time he gets it right. Hopefully RWC2019 is one of the times he does.
Tough on any players let go, but them's the breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 pm 

Captain Average wrote:
Hey nerds
Help me out here. I'm stuck on a few of the following:
I'm missing 6, 7, 8, 17, 27, 28 & 29
Goal is to identify the rugby world cup players names from the emojis

Edit: Pic not showing when I link it for some reason.
Link here: https://imgur.com/rLZZAVv

7 is Damian McKenzie, 27 is Santiago Cordero. Think all the others were mentioned. 17 is tough, but guessing Jonah Homes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm 

discoconway wrote:
Captain Average wrote:
Hey nerds

7 is Damian McKenzie, 27 is Santiago Cordero. Think all the others were mentioned. 17 is tough, but guessing Jonah Homes

What's the aubergine supposed to be phonetically? All I can see is cock, or variations thereof.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 pm 

Emmet Byrne is my new favourite pundit, some good scrum bits on twitter from
Him :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

Probable Munster side during the WC:

Cronin Marshall Archer
Holland Beirne
Botha O'Donoghue O'Donnell
Mathewson Bleyendaal
Sweetnam Scannell Goggin Wooton
Haley

Loughman, O'Byrne, Scott, Wycherley, Cloete, Casey, Hanrahan, Arnold

Not a bad side and any of Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Farrell and Conway could yet be added depending on selection calls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
discoconway wrote:
Captain Average wrote:
Hey nerds

What's the aubergine supposed to be phonetically? All I can see is cock, or variations thereof.

Depends on the name. In 8 it is Sex in Sexton, in 21 it is Dick for Cowan-Dickie and 26 it is Cock for Pocock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm 

:thumbup:

I only managed Pocock.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:

Yeah he has a great way of explaining technical stuff that makes it understandable.

He used to do a bit of punditry but seemed to disappear there for a couple years and like yourself I just saw him reappear today. on OTB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:22 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

I thought she was Dutch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:38 am 

What time are most of our KO’s at during the RWC? Stupid oclock?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:48 am 

hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Apparently the number of speeding fines there runs into thousands

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Trostan wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
hermie wrote:
What kind of team do people think we'll see against England? Probably a stronger lineup. Maybe Furlong, Hendo, Ryan, Conan in the pack. I'd love to see good mates Cooney & Carty start at 9 & 10. We'll see if it happens. Maybe Addison at fullback with the first choice wingers either side of him? Any other thoughts?

I’d imagine the England match will be close to full strength, the first Welsh test squad members or combinations he wants to try out and the second Welsh test will see the xxiii he wants to play against Scotland. Centre must be bit of a conundrum now for Joe , Henshaw and Aki need gametime but he probably wants another look at Ringrose/ Farrell too . I’d say we’ll see something like this for England

Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
POM
VdF
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Henshaw
Earls
Kearney

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Ryan
Toner
Conan
Marmion
Carty
Larmour

Could be tricky in the timing. They could both be on the field twice at the same time

Yes I know, had drink taken, still 2Toners though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Or maybe he’s just a better judge of players than some of us ? He’s a former scrum half isn’t he so I take it he knows a bit about the position. He’s had both players under his management at Leinster too

I'd wonder if Sexton had any input into the SH decision, given he plays with McGrath (sometimes)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am 

Trostan wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Trostan wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
hermie wrote:

Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
POM
VdF
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Henshaw
Earls
Kearney

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Ryan
Toner
Conan
Marmion
Carty
Larmour

Yes I know, had drink taken, still 2Toners though.

I hadn’t taken a drink all day, that’s my excuse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am 

Trostan wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

It’s gone now that the three lanes are open

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:59 am 

IBWT wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Yeah he has a great way of explaining technical stuff that makes it understandable.

He used to do a bit of punditry but seemed to disappear there for a couple years and like yourself I just saw him reappear today. on OTB.

He’s not exactly Mr Charisma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:

https://www.rugbyworld.com/rugby-fixtur ... tures-2019

Our group matches

Scotland 8:45 Sun
Japan 8:15 Sat
Russia 11:15 Thur
Samoa 11:45 Sat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:03 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Trostan wrote:
hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

It’s gone now that the three lanes are open

There’s still an 80 kph restriction in force until hard shoulders are finished and construction of bridges and new exits is completed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Our group matches

Not so bad then. The mrs will be happy that I’ll not have most of the afternoons boxed off for the games, leading to the rest of the nights spent in the pub.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Our group matches

Not so bad then. The mrs will be happy that I’ll not have most of the afternoons boxed off for the games, leading to the rest of the nights spent in the pub.

Lightweight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9783, 9784, 9785, 9786, 9787, 9788, 9789 ... 10209  Next