Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8201, 8202, 8203, 8204, 8205, 8206, 8207 ... 8603  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am 

Someone mentioned he's lost a load of muscle although that was a few months ago. Hopefully he won't break down instantly for lack of conditioning. Be great to see him in blue again and who knows, maybe green too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am 

CM11 wrote:
Someone mentioned he's lost a load of muscle although that was a few months ago. Hopefully he won't break down instantly for lack of conditioning. Be great to see him in blue again and who knows, maybe green too.

Unlike Ringrose who appears to have made some gainz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am 

I hope he's not going to hurt himself coming back. Sometimes you just have to realise that it's just a game, and you're already one of the greats of Irish and Leinster rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Niall Malone, the hidden man of the Ulster coaching team (and a fairly rubbish coach going by my experiences with him), wheeled out before press yesterday.

Say's Edinburgh are the best they've been in several years, that he hopes the Gibbes' rumours are false as Ulster need stability, and confirms Payne is the likely defence coach next season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 am 

danthefan wrote:
Be awesome if Heaslip came back. Tbh from this point on I'd see him as a squad player for Leinster until he clearly showed otherwise but would be so good to have him available again.

He's had such a long time out for a 34 year old and he has a lot of miles on the clock so you'd worry about any significant workload but as an old head to play with young guys there isn't really a better example to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Unlike Ringrose who appears to have made some gainz

What was his first injury again? Last one was ankle so no problem working on the upper body.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Be awesome if Heaslip came back. Tbh from this point on I'd see him as a squad player for Leinster until he clearly showed otherwise but would be so good to have him available again.

He's had such a long time out for a 34 year old and he has a lot of miles on the clock so you'd worry about any significant workload but as an old head to play with young guys there isn't really a better example to follow.

It might be too much for him to expect but you'd think that the only reason he's attempting to come back is to target the WC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 am 

Dai another day wrote:
We have Irish heritage. We have a right.

Are you one of the diaspora?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am 

CM11 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:

It might be too much for him to expect but you'd think that the only reason he's attempting to come back is to target the WC.

Yep. Plus he still has that big central contract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 am 

CM11 wrote:

I suspect that's why he won't be playing until the end of March. They're happy that the injury has healed at his normal weight, He now haas six weeks of S&C work to get up to fighting weight and see is everything still OK then.

Last edited by camroc1 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 am 

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I suspect that's why he won't be playing until the end of March. Their happy that the injury has healed at his normal weight, He now haas six weeks of S&C work to get up to fighting weight and see is everything still OK then.

Is that really enough time? Hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am 

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I suspect that's why he won't be playing until the end of March. Their happy that the injury has healed at his normal weight, He now haas six weeks of S&C work to get up to fighting weight and see is everything still OK then.

I saw him in January in the 'Blue Room' in LR, and he'd lost the gym bunny muscle mass, but was still a big chap. A lot of that will go back on easily enough when he goes back up to eating 10, 000 calories a day, or whatever it is pro rugby players eat when they're on a full training schedule, I'd have thought.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am 

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I saw him in January in the 'Blue Room' in LR, and he'd lost the gym bunny muscle mass, but was still a big chap. A lot of that will go back on easily enough when he goes back up to eating 10, 000 calories a day, or whatever it is pro rugby players eat when they're on a full training schedule, I'd have thought.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am 

Six weeks is a decent time for a small hypertrophy cycle. If he needs something like 10kg then he won't do that in 6 weeks without extra curricular help, especially at 34 year old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 am 

He is in Paulie territory now, he will just be doing whatever strength work he can manage around the injury.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 am 

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-ireland-st ... 2-Feb2018/

Looked easier than it was when you look at what went on to create it. Ok, it's Italy so not fully relevant but it's what I've being trying to say for a while, we have moved away from one outs/pick and gos a while back. Problem is that against Wales, they'd probably nail Stockdale behind the gainline and people would still bemoan the lack of variety.

The lack of a second passer in instances like this really does mean we have to work very hard to finish off created chances.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
He is in Paulie territory now, he will just be doing whatever strength work he can manage around the injury.

I suppose that's a fair comparison and similar injury too. Didn't seem to affect POC. Fingers crossed Heaslip will stand up similarly. It'll be an interesting call if he does return at a similar standard to when he left.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am 

D’Arcy thinks Aki is the second passer.
In fairness, his break, draw and pass for Earls to score was Jauzion like.

He’s right too about persisting with Joey. See Stockdale’s try under the posts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 8?mode=amp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am 

Muscle memory is a thing, his strength and mass will come back fairly quickly. Plus it isn't as if he is working 9-5, struggling to find time to eat, then going to the gym knackered, and having to come home and do the housework before sleeping 5 hours a night to start the whole thing again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Gibbes being linked with a return to coaching with Cheika

http://www.the42.ie/jono-gibbes-ulster- ... 6-Feb2018/

Would an international set piece coaching role be better/more desirable than a club head coach role?

He doesn't want to be a head coach

Why would you tbf.

Ulster is now a poison chalice.

Gibbes has been the head coach at Ulster since he joined :?

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am 

I can't wait to see him back in blue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Niall Malone, the hidden man of the Ulster coaching team (and a fairly rubbish coach going by my experiences with him), wheeled out before press yesterday.

Say's Edinburgh are the best they've been in several years, that he hopes the Gibbes' rumours are false as Ulster need stability, and confirms Payne is the likely defence coach next season.

Malone is another bluffer. Shoukdn't be allowed near a professional rugby setup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am 

boringperson12 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Malone is another bluffer. Shoukdn't be allowed near a professional rugby setup.

Our skills coach. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am 

Flametop wrote:

Joey won't be thrown under the bus, but the weekend showed that he's not ready for international rugby at 10. Playing there for Leinster during the 6N would be of much more use to him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am 

Flametop wrote:

Aki is fine with short passing and probably has the best awareness in that backline but I'm talking about a range of passing and the ability to throw a long accurate pass that isn't easy to pick off to get the ball to the players in space.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 am 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 67106.html

Gibbes apparently hasnt actually been approached, though it also says he’s “always cherished” the head coach role which doesnt make sense either

Piutau only out for 4 weeks tops as well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am 

My money is Gibbes will be gone at the end of the season. Also if he wants to hang out with the Aussies, better let him than have him ride out the last year of his contract doing a job he doesn't care about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am 

Diego wrote:
CM11 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Yep. Plus he still has that big central contract.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think contracts are linked to fitness and availability, certainly I've heard that some guys with long term injuries are on reduced terms while they rehab (although clearly the IRFU/Provincial budget covers all said rehab and surgery).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am 

unseenwork wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Our skills coach. :uhoh:

He coached me in the past, can't say he's any great shakes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am 

Donncha Ryan mentioned that Racing just chucked him straight into training and games 10 weeks back from neck surgery. No weights at all and he'd be a guy that also needs to hit the gym to keep his weight up.

It can be done but Heaslip will be managed a lot better than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 am 

John Ryan is supposedly still with the Irish camp as he hasn't been released back to Munster. That should be a strong sign that he'll be benching ahead of Porter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am 

Feels really weird to be saying it but Ulster are running short on backs for this weekend.

Ireland duty - Stockdale
Court Case - Olding, Jackson
Injured - Bowe, Trimble, Piutau, Lyttle, Payne

Leaves the following senior backs fit:

SH: Cooney, P.Marshall (unknown availability due to ill child), Shanahan
FH: McPhillips, Herron (Shite)
centre: L. Marshall, McCloskey, Cave
Back three: Gilroy, Ludik, Nelson

Would not surprise me to see us calling in Curtis from the u20s as bench cover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Feels really weird to be saying it but Ulster are running short on backs for this weekend.

Ireland duty - Stockdale

Bowe and Trimble are back this week apparently

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Ireland duty - Stockdale

Thought Bowe was out for at least another month

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am 

What kind of teams will the provinces be putting out this weekend then? My guess at Leinster:

15. Larmour
14. McFadden
13. Ringrose (?)
12. Isa
11. Lowe
10. Carbery
9. McGrath

1. Byrne
2. Strauss
3. Porter
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Murphy
7. Murphy
8. Deegan

16. Byrne
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Kearney
20. Timmins/Connors
21. McCarthy
22. Byrne
23. Daly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am 

Diego wrote:
What kind of teams will the provinces be putting out this weekend then? My guess at Leinster:

15. Larmour
14. McFadden
13. Ringrose (?)
12. Isa
11. Lowe
10. Carbery
9. McGrath

1. Byrne
2. Strauss
3. Porter
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Murphy
7. Murphy
8. Deegan

16. Byrne
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Kearney
20. Timmins/Connors
21. McCarthy
22. Byrne
23. Daly

I'd guess Ulster's will be something like:

McCall
Herring
Herbst
Treadwell
AOC
Rea
Henry
Reidy
Cooney
McPhillips
Gilroy
McCloskey
Marshall
Trimble
Ludik

Andrew
Warwick
Ah You
Dalton
Deysel?
Stewart
Nelson
Cave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am 

Jumper wrote:
John Ryan is supposedly still with the Irish camp as he hasn't been released back to Munster. That should be a strong sign that he'll be benching ahead of Porter.

Or, you know, Furlong might be touch and go after he was was injured last week :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am 

Gavin Duffy wrote:
He'll be the aging rock star, struggling through one last tour as his looks fade and his body falls apart after years of abuse.

I can picture his comb over blowing magnificently in the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Ireland duty - Stockdale

Thought Bowe was out for at least another month

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43051111

Could play this Friday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:57 am 

earl the beaver wrote:

Ireland duty - Stockdale

That's if they rate Curtis at all, which I don't know about given his lack of gametime for the A team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8201, 8202, 8203, 8204, 8205, 8206, 8207 ... 8603  Next