Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8591, 8592, 8593, 8594, 8595, 8596, 8597 ... 8699  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm 

I’ve known him since he was 12 tbf. Had the same issues back then as he does now.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm 

I remember when Scannel's dead eye lineout throwing was put forward as a compelling reason to pick him over Cronin. Pity it's gone to shit.

What is it with Munster hookers being unable to string together more than a season and a half without dropping off massively?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm 

Tbf, Scannell has been injured loads.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Tbf, Scannell has been injured loads.

Tbf, so have most of the others but it's bizarre there hasn't been a consistent pick since Flannery and even then he didn't last that long as first choice. Just looked at his wiki and he didn't even manage 100 provincial games.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

And Dan - McBurney is a well heralded talent who performed excellently with Ireland u20, I'm not sure he's top tier or merely a good future provincial player as I've not seen enough of him but his u20 performances were at the top end. I have high hopes for a few of the guys in the u20s squad this summer too.

My point was that Schmidt has shown a willingness before to involve younger players who haven't had a huge amount of provincial game time, even Arnold this season (but you'll still not convince me he's better than Marshall or McCloskey), going so far as to pick O'Shea and Kelleher with virtually zero game time. Therefore unseenwork (though he is a bit mental) shouldn't be laughed out of town for suggesting that our best young prospect at hooker could have some invovlement.

Ronan Kelleher is a better prospect at hooker than Adam McBurney. :thumbup:

Are you his da?

I'm no relation but Kelleher really looks to have all the attributes. He is likely to see lots of gametime next season.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 pm 

CM11 wrote:
I remember when Scannel's dead eye lineout throwing was put forward as a compelling reason to pick him over Cronin. Pity it's gone to shit.

That's just nonsense tbf.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

And Dan - McBurney is a well heralded talent who performed excellently with Ireland u20, I'm not sure he's top tier or merely a good future provincial player as I've not seen enough of him but his u20 performances were at the top end. I have high hopes for a few of the guys in the u20s squad this summer too.

My point was that Schmidt has shown a willingness before to involve younger players who haven't had a huge amount of provincial game time, even Arnold this season (but you'll still not convince me he's better than Marshall or McCloskey), going so far as to pick O'Shea and Kelleher with virtually zero game time. Therefore unseenwork (though he is a bit mental) shouldn't be laughed out of town for suggesting that our best young prospect at hooker could have some invovlement.

Are you his da?

I'm no relation but Kelleher really looks to have all the attributes. He is likely to see lots of gametime next season.

He was involved in the pre season games at the start of this season so he's been involved in the senior squad alright. You'd expect him to play league next season.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Are you his da?

He was involved in the pre season games at the start of this season so he's been involved in the senior squad alright. You'd expect him to play league next season.

yeah he was only 19 at the time too.. he will play senior next season assuming he is fit.. how fast he progresses will be interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Are you his da?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 pm 

The Ireland Under-20s, sponsored by PwC, continued their preparations for the World Rugby U-20 Championship with a 43-19 victory over Japan at Wanderers FC this afternoon.

With the anticipation growing ahead of next Wednesday's tournament opener against France at Stade Aime-Giral in Perpignan (kick-off 9pm local time/8pm Irish time), this proved to be a very worthwhile exercise for Noel McNamara's young squad.

While the set-up of the game was slightly unorthodox (there were three periods of 20 minutes each rather than the standard 40 minutes per half), the Clare native was able to work on a number of combinations ahead of a hectic schedule on French soil.

All five uncapped players named in Ireland's World Rugby U-20 Championship squad yesterday were handed starts, with Tom Roche and Dan Hurley filling the wing berths, UCC's Peter Sylvester joining Tommy O'Brien in the centre, and Trinity pair Dan Sheehan and Joe Byrne combining with James French in the front row.

With injuries part and parcel of the international season's Under-20 summer showpiece, Ireland will keep a number of players on stand-by, and today's warm-up fixture saw the likes of Dylan Tierney, Bryan O'Connor, John Hodnett, Jack Daly, Angus Kernohan, David McCarthy, Ronan Foley and Patrick Patterson all get game-time off the bench.

Starting out-half Conor Dean plunged a penalty into touch to set up the opening try in the ninth minute. From the resulting lineout, hooker Sheehan crossed in clinical fashion. Dean's tricky conversion attempt was wide of the mark and Japan quickly fired back at the opposite end.

Following an overlap on the left, winger Yoshiyuki Koga was released by Asipeli Moala for a try in the corner. Hiroto Mamada added a terrific touchline conversion for a 7-5, and UCD clubman Foley entered the fray soon after, replacing newly-appointed Ireland captain Caelan Doris whose injury-enforced withdrawal was just precautionary with the tournament now only a week away.

Foley, who joined Ulster duo Joe Dunleavy and Aaron Hall in the back row, made an immediate impact with a converted try, powering over off the back of an attacking scrum. That made it 12-7 to Ireland at the first break, and a flurry of substitutions did little to break up the Irish momentum on the restart.

Harry Byrne got on the end of a sweeping move to claim Ireland's third try which he converted himself. He also added the extras to a 24th minute score, an enterprising counter-attack from the Irish back-line putting Japan on the back foot and loosehead Jordan Duggan applied the finishing touches on the right hand side.

He was joined on the scoresheet by fellow front row Tierney from Corinthians, who profited from excellent approach work by Ballymena clubman Kernohan to touch down in style. The scoring blitz put significant daylight between the sides, but Atora Hondo's try, at the end of a prolonged spell of pressure, boosted the Japanese ahead of the closing 20 minutes.

Nonetheless, the Ireland U-20s quickly wrestled back control with replacement scrum half Patterson pouncing on a loose ball to race over the Japanese line. His UCD club-mate Byrne landed the conversion and the hosts did not have long to wait for the their seventh and final try of the day.

Roche was picked out in space on the right wing and the dynamic Lansdowne winger broke over at high speed for an unconverted score. Japan ended the game with a similarly well-worked finish on the left, but it was Ireland who took the spoils, building further momentum on the back of last week's 52-14 victory over Scotland in Edinburgh.

IRELAND U-20: James McCarthy (UL Bohemians/Munster); Tom Roche (Lansdowne/Leinster), Tommy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster), Peter Sylvester (UCC/Munster), Dan Hurley (Young Munster/Munster); Conor Dean (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Jonny Stewart (Queen's University/Ulster); James French (UCC/Munster), Dan Sheehan (Dublin University/Leinster), Joe Byrne (Dublin University/Leinster), Matthew Dalton (Malone/Ulster), Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster), Joe Dunleavy (Malone/Ulster), Aaron Hall (Ballynahinch/Ulster), Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College/Leinster) (capt).

Replacements used: Dylan Tierney (Corinthians/Connacht), Jordan Duggan (Naas/Leinster), Bryan O'Connor (UCC/Munster), Cormac Daly (Clontarf/Leinster), John Hodnett (UCC/Munster), Jack Daly (Garryowen/Munster), Hugh O'Sullivan (Clontarf/Leinster), Harry Byrne (UCD/Leinster), Angus Kernohan (Ballymena/Ulster), David McCarthy (Garryowen/Munster), James Hume (Banbridge/Ulster), Ronan Foley (UCD/Leinster), Matthew Agnew (Ballymena/Ulster), Patrick Patterson (UCD/Leinster).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:36 pm 

Are the U-20's any good this year?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

So so.

Weakness is in the backs. Curtis was a shining light during the 6 nations but is now injured.

IMO, backrow and especially TH prop is a strength. Aungier and O'toole are 2 impressive THs.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:04 pm 

danthefan wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
London Irish have named Kidney their DoR. Fluffers rejoice.

Is that news not a month or two old? Signed on for 2/3 years a while back?

He hd signed on but it was as a consultant something or other. So he's gotten a promotion.

:thumbup:

I misremembered the initial announcement.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

average.. tough group though with SA and France.

defense was awful during 6 nations.. hopefully tierney being sacked improves that

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

defense was awful during 6 nations.. hopefully tierney being sacked improves that

Was it yourself who kept on about Carolan being a shite coach?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

he is a decent coach, good at player development.. gameday coach.. only okay

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

How did he get on at the u20’s World Cup?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:19 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

lost in the final with our most talented and physically developed side this decade lead by three incredible individuals in ryan, porter and stockdale.

how has he gotten on as connachts backs coach?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm 

Whats the SP on the IRFU blocking a move to Ulster for Elton Jantjies??

If Carbery doesnt want to go, at least its been dragging out long enough ....
Its rediculous to block it

Any news on it?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 pm 

Darth_Quinlan wrote:
Whats the SP on the IRFU blocking a move to Ulster for Elton Jantjies??

If Carbery doesnt want to go, at least its been dragging out long enough ....
Its rediculous to block it

Any news on it?

Maybe skim back through the last few pages and ctrl+F on "Jantjies"...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
other option is to leave one of the 3 hookers behind and bring Cooney instead

Do you understand why this isn't an option?

We took 5 halfbacks last time.

SH - Murray & Reddan
OH - Sexton & Jackson
"covering" both - Madigan

I can see Cooney getting some time at 10 (although maybe only in training) to see if this is our "5th HB" option this time around.
And I'd suggest Cooney is a better 10 than Madigan was a 9. He's played there for a start.

You don't concede the game if you lack a scrum half on the bench. You do if you're short a hooker.
It was the reason England ommited Hartley from the RWC squad.

rfurlong
You're only partially correct because Oz corrected that error once they had their first injury, which was to a backrower.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:

lost in the final with our most talented and physically developed side this decade lead by three incredible individuals in ryan, porter and stockdale.

On what planet was that the most talented side of the decade

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

I did too, along with a lot of other people. We were gash in the 6N.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

I assume he meant Irish side.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 pm 

danthefan wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

I'm sure he did and it's not even close to 2012

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/two-hookers ... -wallabies

So, apparently Aus had a break in case of emergency prop who could play hooker.

SOB has played there before so if he makes it.......

Do the squad rules indicate a minimum number of front row players like the European squads?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
danthefan wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

I'm sure he did and it's not even close to 2012

It's certainly debatable. And he did mention physically developed too.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 pm 

I'm interested to see how Ryan goes in the pro12 final.
After about 50 mins in the semi he seemed a bit tired to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I'm interested to see how Ryan goes in the pro12 final.
After about 50 mins in the semi he seemed a bit tired to me.

Thought he improved as the game went on, to be honest.

If I were the coaches I'd do practically no training this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm 

Fardy was like a wrecking ball when he came on last weekend. The guy has got better and better as the season has worn on. He's going to be vital this weekend.
The question is whether we put him in the second row and put Ruddock at 6 or just stick him at 6.
Might very well depend on whether Leavy is fit. Start Leavy and Varsh and that could very well make up for Henshaw being unavailable.
My main fear is if we don't have Leavy, Sexton and He shaw we could very well end up with a Leinster version of Ireland v Argentina in the RWC a few years ago and get run off the park.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 pm 

The team I'd hope for, given that Nacwwa may not be available.
1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Porter
4. Toner
5. Fardy/Ryan
6. Murphy
7. Leavy
8. Conan
9. McGrah
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Ringrose
13. ROL
14. Larmour
15. Kearney

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm 

I thought that Leinster camp had confirmed that Sexton, Leavy and Nacewa were pretty certain to be fit, but that Henshaw wouldn't make it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 pm 

CM11 wrote:

What is it with Munster hookers being unable to string together more than a season and a half without dropping off massively?

What is it with Leinster relying on our castoffs?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
The team I'd hope for, given that Nacwwa may not be available.
1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Porter
4. Toner
5. Fardy/Ryan
6. Murphy
7. Leavy
8. Conan
9. McGrah
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Ringrose
13. ROL
14. Larmour
15. Kearney

Murphy at 6? No thanks.

Why no Furlong?

Nacewa will start and play as long as he can. It's his last game ever so unless he has a broken bone or something torn, he'll play.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm 

I think Murphy can play his game at 6 as well as anywhere else. But if you're concerned about ballast I'd understand going for Ruddock.

Furlong has looked tired, don't think we'd lose anything in the scrums with Porter starting and it'd give Furlong the chance to come on against tired legs.

I agree on Nacewa, just thought he was a fitness concern.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 pm 

Cooney as 10 cover in a World Cup squad would be a bad joke. The only reason he's played 10 was because of an injury crisis at Connacht and, frankly, incompetent selection by Kiss at Ulster. He got badly exposed against La Rochelle. I'd say he's only marginally more competent than Marmion or McGrath at outhalf.

Take Scannell as one of four centres. He'll be your back up, third choice 10.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm 

Cooney's had some decent games at 10. It's a bit difficult when you're playing outside Paul Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I think Murphy can play his game at 6 as well as anywhere else. But if you're concerned about ballast I'd understand going for Ruddock.

Furlong has looked tired, don't think we'd lose anything in the scrums with Porter starting and it'd give Furlong the chance to come on against tired legs.

I agree on Nacewa, just thought he was a fitness concern.

If Murphy and Leavy are the flankers, I'd play Leavy at 6. Hell, if VDF was 7 and Conan/Murphy the options for 6 and 8, I'd play Murphy at 8. He's not a 6.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
Cooney as 10 cover in a World Cup squad would be a bad joke. The only reason he's played 10 was because of an injury crisis at Connacht and, frankly, incompetent selection by Kiss at Ulster. He got badly exposed against La Rochelle. I'd say he's only marginally more competent than Marmion or McGrath at outhalf.

Take Scannell as one of four centres. He'll be your back up, third choice 10.

3rd choice FH doesn't get a lot of gametime. We either bring 3 FHs or 3 SHs. If Jackson was an option, it'd be 3 FHs but I think he'll go for 3 SHs and have Cooney cover. We're only talking in case of emergency. Madigan was the emergency SH last time and didn't play there, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm 

Is anyone considering going to the Chicago moneyspinner? Seems like an amateur operation so far, the Ticketmaster section has been down for hours so can't even gauge prices of tickets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8591, 8592, 8593, 8594, 8595, 8596, 8597 ... 8699  Next