Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8680, 8681, 8682, 8683, 8684, 8685, 8686 ... 8899  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
I hear there is a massive row brewing between Donnybrook and the IRFU in relation to JC. Leinster are insisting he is going nowhere as he still has a year to run on his contract. He has signed nothing with Munster..... Interesting times.

Leinster Rugby (the professional sports body) is wholly owned by the IRFU. The Leinster Branch IRFU is just that, a branch of the IRFU with the job of organising both the amateur game and supporting the professional game.

As such if the IRFU want something it is within their power to do it. The Ulster board did not want Jackson sacked or Olding sacked, it voted overwhelmingly to keep them (only Logan voted against) and the IRFU revoked the contracts.

You keep on being that drum man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
I hear there is a massive row brewing between Donnybrook and the IRFU in relation to JC. Leinster are insisting he is going nowhere as he still has a year to run on his contract. He has signed nothing with Munster..... Interesting times.

Leinster Rugby (the professional sports body) is wholly owned by the IRFU. The Leinster Branch IRFU is just that, a branch of the IRFU with the job of organising both the amateur game and supporting the professional game.

As such if the IRFU want something it is within their power to do it. The Ulster board did not want Jackson sacked or Olding sacked, it voted overwhelmingly to keep them (only Logan voted against) and the IRFU revoked the contracts.

The IRFU had grounds to revoke the Ulster players contracts, so did.

They don't have grounds to revoke Carbery's contract and offer him a new one so can't simply move him against his will. Now, it seems he wants to go so I'm not sure how that works if he willingly rips up his contract but that's a separate point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am 

Wants to go :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 am 

EverReady wrote:

The pashun, honesty and worlds best supporters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
EverReady wrote:

The pashun, honesty and worlds best supporters.

You’ll have him trucking it up into contact and ignoring overlaps in no time.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 am 

Diego wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Diego wrote:
I'm sure someone could programme a bot to do exactly what irua did. He was a bit of an odd fish.

If someone could program that bot it would be great because it was interesting/useful.

I think you've just volunteered yourself. Hop to it.

I am not the person you want to do anything techy.

I figured that alright after your bot idea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am 

The Sun God wrote:
sewa wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

A row between a little school kid and a pro boxer. Leinster have sweet FA chance of winning

Fcuk off...I am talking to the grown ups.

Your putting a lot of faith in a bullshit rumour when its clear they can do sweet FA against the wishes of their owners. If that is grown up talk then :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 am 

Your x(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am 

Rumham wrote:
Munster will never play Beirne at 6.

bookmarked!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

I'd presume that the player contracts actually allow the IRFU to move players about. It'd be fairly remiss of them not to at this point in time.

Not too sure about that. JC is signed a Leinster contract not a central one.
Leinster Rugby is a limited liability company registered in Ireland and as such it's officers and CEO have a fiduciary responsibility to run the company in the best commercial practice.It's a business and while this might be news to some of the other Provinces , it needs to be run as such.
You don't let someone else tell you how to utilize your assets if you think it would have a detrimental overall effect on your company.

He probably will go but Leinster want compo and will get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am 

The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

I'd presume that the player contracts actually allow the IRFU to move players about. It'd be fairly remiss of them not to at this point in time.

Leinster Rugby is a limited liability company registered in Ireland and as such it's officers and CEO have a fiduciary responsibility to run the company in the best commercial practice.It's a business and while this might be news to some of the other Provinces , it needs to be run as such.
You don't let someone else tell you how to utilize your assets if you think it would have a detrimental overall effect on your company.

Not that I have a rashers about this stuff but is that fiduciary responsibility not to the shareholders? Who are the shareholders here, probably just the IRFU?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am 

The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

They may get a payout if they create a massive row, how do you think their next discussion with their owners will go? You are smarter than this ffs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 am 

danthefan wrote:
Spoiler: show
The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Not that I have a rashers about this stuff but is that fiduciary responsibility not to the shareholders? Who are the shareholders here, probably just the IRFU?

If they didn't run Leinster Rugby as a business there's a high risk it might end up like Munster : in debt, run at a loss, and reliant on IRFU handouts and Leinster players simply to keep the show on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 am 

CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Beirne's a 2nd row and that's where he's needed. Why are people trying to make him out to be a 6?

Because that's where he's played half his minutes (well, split between 6 and 8) this season and excelled there. He's also a bit lightweight for lock and we're up against a heavy pack.

He'll be a lock going forward so no one is trying to turn him into a 6 as such but his skillset is far suited to the position.

So half his minutes at 2nd row and considerably less than half his minutes at 6. What is it about his skill set that you think makes him better suited to 6 than the 2nd row?

He's an excellent wide carrier, has good ball handling skills, good defender and obviously brilliant over the ball. If you were looking to describe what you wanted in a backrower, you wouldn't go far wrong pointing at him.

The reason players his height get put in the second row is because they're not agile enough to play backrow or they lack some basic backrow skills. And I'm not saying he can't be a decent lock and bring those skills just that he seems a bit light for the position. Munster apparently are going to bulk him up and we'll see what happens then but he could be another in a long list of Leinster locks who are tall enough but whose game suffers massively when asked to get to fighting lock weight.

It's an opinion I have that he could be world class as a 6 and I've accepted that he's not going to be developed there. I'm really not sure why you're coming down on me for having that opinion?

Your first three skills are what you'd expect from a good rugby player. His ability over the ball is a good reason to free him up a little at scrum time but he wouldn't be the first lock who's good on the ground. Itoje for example.

The only mark going against him as a lock is that he looks a bit lightweight but we don't really know what kind of power output he has or what his scrummaging is like so that's just speculation. Who else is in that long list you mention?

I would take issue with your description of 6'6"ish 2nd rows as lumbering oafs who are forced to toil away with the tall freaks to compensate for a lack of athleticism but maybe that's because I was a slightly short 2nd row myself.

Lastly, he's 27 this winter. If he was going to be world class anywhere one of his coaches would probably have identified it by now and would be focussing on keeping him in that position. Chances are that he'll be very good. World class is very optimistic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am 

camroc1 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Spoiler: show
The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

If they didn't run Leinster Rugby as a business there's a high risk it might end up like Munster : in debt, run at a loss, and reliant on IRFU handouts and Leinster players simply to keep the show on the road.

We owe 11 million on a 40 million stadium, probably the best club stadium in Europe. We made a profit this year also. But hey why bother with facts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am 

Rumham wrote:
Releasing private info you were given in confidence so you could scoop people on PR is pathetic and bang out of order. That was given to him as a favour and he abused it. Great way to treat your 'source'.

So what you're saying is, basically, you were the 'source' ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:26 am 

danthefan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

The IRFU would be the main shareholders here I think so this would be covered by section 150 of the companies act but Directors responsibilities are more far reaching and would include creditors and staff for example.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am 

danthefan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

I can't find a company for Leinster Rugby. There's a CLG but it's dormant and the property one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am 

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Beirne's a 2nd row and that's where he's needed. Why are people trying to make him out to be a 6?

Because that's where he's played half his minutes (well, split between 6 and 8) this season and excelled there. He's also a bit lightweight for lock and we're up against a heavy pack.

He'll be a lock going forward so no one is trying to turn him into a 6 as such but his skillset is far suited to the position.

So half his minutes at 2nd row and considerably less than half his minutes at 6. What is it about his skill set that you think makes him better suited to 6 than the 2nd row?

He's an excellent wide carrier, has good ball handling skills, good defender and obviously brilliant over the ball. If you were looking to describe what you wanted in a backrower, you wouldn't go far wrong pointing at him.

The reason players his height get put in the second row is because they're not agile enough to play backrow or they lack some basic backrow skills. And I'm not saying he can't be a decent lock and bring those skills just that he seems a bit light for the position. Munster apparently are going to bulk him up and we'll see what happens then but he could be another in a long list of Leinster locks who are tall enough but whose game suffers massively when asked to get to fighting lock weight.

It's an opinion I have that he could be world class as a 6 and I've accepted that he's not going to be developed there. I'm really not sure why you're coming down on me for having that opinion?

Your first three skills are what you'd expect from a good rugby player. His ability over the ball is a good reason to free him up a little at scrum time but he wouldn't be the first lock who's good on the ground. Itoje for example.

The only mark going against him as a lock is that he looks a bit lightweight but we don't really know what kind of power output he has or what his scrummaging is like so that's just speculation. Who else is in that long list you mention?

I would take issue with your description of 6'6"ish 2nd rows as lumbering oafs who are forced to toil away with the tall freaks to compensate for a lack of athleticism but maybe that's because I was a slightly short 2nd row myself.

Lastly, he's 27 this winter. If he was going to be world class anywhere one of his coaches would probably have identified it by now and would be focussing on keeping him in that position. Chances are that he'll be very good. World class is very optimistic.

I wasn't quite getting at the lumbering oaf description of second row but more just the fact that by definition the extra weight required has them a bit slower and less agile so less able to perform in the wider channels or get over the ball quickly. You also wouldn't expect most second rows to have the ball handling skills of a backrower. Beirne and Hendo are both second rows who have played in the backrow but Beirne is far more suited to the position. Hendo had little impact at the breakdown (I know he has his moments but not consistently) and has weak ball handling skills, certainly compared to Beirne.

He's two years into his career, btw, bit much to say he'd be identified as world class by now. You do know he was injured for a lot of his early 20s?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am 

In terms of Leinster second rows who couldn't make it, I presume you're taking the piss there? Everyone bar Toner and Ryan in the last 10+ years. Molony looks to be the latest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
danthefan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

I can't find a company for Leinster Rugby. There's a CLG but it's dormant and the property one.

I don't see anything in the latest annual report on the website to suggest that the branches are separate legal entities.

Union and consolidated revenue is the same.

Additionally in the union balance sheet, there is a line item for investments in subsidiaries. The only two subsidiaries listed are a car park company for Lansdowne road and a company set up for the women's world cup.

So unless I'm missing something drastically obvious it would seem that Munster branch, Leinster branch etc. Are just that, branches of the irfu and not separate entities.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am 

CM11 wrote:
In terms of Leinster second rows who couldn't make it, I presume you're taking the piss there? Everyone bar Toner and Ryan in the last 10+ years. Molony looks to be the latest.

I'm sure you could list off lots of not very good locks but that's not what you said.
Quote:
long list of Leinster locks who are tall enough but whose game suffers massively when asked to get to fighting lock weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am 

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I'm sure you could list off lots of not very good locks but that's not what you said.
Quote:
long list of Leinster locks who are tall enough but whose game suffers massively when asked to get to fighting lock weight.

I even gave you an example. Molony was excellent in his first season but as a very mobile lock. When he tried to get to fighting weight, he became less agile in the loose without an increased impact in the tight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am 

Risteard wrote:

I don't see anything in the latest annual report on the website to suggest that the branches are separate legal entities.

Additionally in the union balance sheet, there is a line item for investments in subsidiaries. The only two subsidiaries listed are a car park company for Lansdowne road and a company set up for the women's world cup.

So unless I'm missing something drastically obvious it would seem that Munster branch, Leinster branch etc. Are just that, branches of the irfu and not separate entities.

Indeed which is why you should treat the nonsense you hear down the golf / yacht club with a pinch of salt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am 

alliswell

Can I ask why you have such a problem with my opinion? Especially as I've conceded Beirne isn't going to be developed as a 6? So what if I have what is essentially a moot opinion? Why bang on about it asking me to justify it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:15 am 

CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

I even gave you an example. Molony was excellent in his first season but as a very mobile lock. When he tried to get to fighting weight, he became less agile in the loose without an increased impact in the tight.

You said a long list. You gave me one player who had glaring deficiencies in the position that Beirne doesn't have.

I don't believe Molony is any less capable now than he was then and his impact in the tight has improved as the Leinster scrum was on skates with him locking in 15/16. Thankfully Leinster don't particularly need him now as they have plenty of other options.
The biggest negative impact on his game is that he's less a threat on opposition ball. That's down to the extra burden on lifters rather than a lack of agility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am 

CM11 wrote:
alliswell

Can I ask why you have such a problem with my opinion? Especially as I've conceded Beirne isn't going to be developed as a 6? So what if I have what is essentially a moot opinion? Why bang on about it asking me to justify it?

What are we doing here if not expressing opinion with justification? If you want to drop it, that's fine and we can agree to disagree but it's very unlike you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am 

I'd presume that there's either a tripartite contract between player and province and then the IRFU or a standard form employee contract for players. This is speculation though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am 

Risteard wrote:

Well we know for a fact that Thomond and Lansdowne both have companies set up to manage then respectively for example, they get referred to all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am 

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell

What are we doing here if not expressing opinion with justification? If you want to drop it, that's fine and we can agree to disagree but it's very unlike you.

What's the point of arguing a moot point? If I thought there was a chance Beirne could be developed as a 6, I might argue further.

As for Molony, his impact on games isn't great anymore and how do you know Beirne won't have the same deficiencies when asked to play like a lock and not a 4th backrower?

Kearney and Marshall are another two off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
I'd presume that there's either a tripartite contract between player and province and then the IRFU or a standard form employee contract for players. This is speculation though.

IRFU hold all contracts. The provinces then compensate the IRFU an agreed amount each season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 am 

And just to be clear, Beirne is better than any of those I've name checked but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be able to put on weight and maintain the same performance levels.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am 

CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell

What's the point of arguing a moot point? If I thought there was a chance Beirne could be developed as a 6, I might argue further.

As for Molony, his impact on games isn't great anymore and how do you know Beirne won't have the same deficiencies when asked to play like a lock and not a 4th backrower?

You're just naming average locks now. There's no shortage of them .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am 

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
alliswell

You're just naming average locks now. There's no shortage of them .

No, I'm naming locks who looked decent enough before having to put on weight for the position.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzPPrc7_GM

Highlights of Japan vs Georgia U20s.

We're fücked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am 

danthefan wrote:
Risteard wrote:

Well we know for a fact that Thomond and Lansdowne both have companies set up to manage then respectively for example, they get referred to all the time.

Yep was thinking about that. And looked at it more. I (and I think most) were looking at them from the perspective of companies whereas they're not. There are no shareholders for example of the irfu and presumably Munster, Leinster so they wouldn't be held as subsidiaries of the irfu I would think.

Looked up revenue for the tax exemptions for sporting bodies and note that they're listed separately. So they are separate just not companies.

Not sure how the structure works in the case of sporting bodies.

I feel like such a nerd for being interested in all this :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 am 

CM11 wrote:
No, I'm naming locks who looked decent enough before having to put on weight for the position.

At what level? Mick Kearney still looks like a world beater when he's playing AIL.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am 

Diego wrote:
Looks like an Irish Fardy tbh.

If Fardy were 10kg lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am 

paddyor wrote:
Diego wrote:
Looks like an Irish Fardy tbh.

If Fardy were 10kg lighter.

And less angry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm 

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:

At what level? Mick Kearney still looks like a world beater when he's playing AIL.

Pro14 (well it was probably the Magners league at the time).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8680, 8681, 8682, 8683, 8684, 8685, 8686 ... 8899  Next