Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7493, 7494, 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499 ... 7634  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am 

Went looking for Earls' stats on ESPN. Think they may have gotten something slightly incorrect here:

Full name Keith Gerard Earls
Born October 2, 1987, Limerick
Current age 29 years 260 days
Major teams British and Irish Lions, Glasgow, Ireland A, Munster, Ireland
Position Utility back
Height 5 ft 10 in
Weight 191 lb

What a player at the moment though. He's on fire. Should be on the Lions tour without a shadow of a doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:54 am 

Rassie going - 90% end of season.

Jacques going too.

Replacement lined up - looking at John Plumtree with possibly ROG (this part seems more "I wish")

Leaving end of season goes in line with that he has said.
Middle of season doesn't really make sense for anyone
Preseason would be a disaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

Jacques going too.

Replacement lined up - looking at John Plumtree with possibly ROG (this part seems more "I wish")

That'll do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm 

I could see Treadwell starting with Ryan on the bench again. No particular need for Roux starting both games, especially with their scrum being so poor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm 

Plumtree? You canny ol shits.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm 

JoeMangled wrote:

That would be quite an acquisition alright . He did incredible work with the Irish pack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm 

Munster should really be doing all they can to bring ROG back as well. Would be the perfect time to get him in as an assistant coach or something similar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Jacques going too.

That'll do.

Yup. It would indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

Jacques going too.

That's as good as you could hope for. Nothing wrong with going back to take up a role with the national team. Fair play to him if he gets it. Hopefully the Boks can have a good Rugby Championship. They haven't looked too bad against the French.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
The article is more along the lines of "well he could go" and seems to be based off that piece in a South African paper this week

Wishful thinking B'Man. This has an air of definitiveness to it.

One thing strikes me as odd is that ordinarily you'd be reluctant to make 2 definitive contract appointments so recently as Fla' & Felix unless you either had some form of commitment from Erasmus to see out the season, rather than just the initial period of it - no incoming Head Coach would want to be saddled with senior appointments like that not of his choosing - or it may very well be, that Lordy, Lordy, Munster & Erasmus are actually handing this transition as professionally as possible, and the incoming HC has already been primed and has given tacit approval to the 2 appointments.

Which would point the finger firmly at ROG IMHO.

Anyhoo - that's about the best 'best case' I can muster up right now.

I have had my fill of rugby for this season.

It's even less definitive than the previous talk about him leaving - there was stuff about him " having told players" and don't buy that it's the indo.

Same Indo that had James Cronin 1000% signing for London Irish and that Danny Barnes was coming back last season - albeit this is higher level.

Rassie will coach South Africa and leave Munster - may well be sooner rather than later but I would be surprised not to have him see out next season. He's been up front about it and also that he is staying for next season.

Think Cronin was 75% a done deal FYI.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
JoeMangled wrote:

That would be quite an acquisition alright . He did incredible work with the Irish pack

It would indeed. Did he not move home to be closer to family though?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
JoeMangled wrote:

Was it him or McQuilkan (or both) who had a sick father/relative? Of course said relative could be recovered or dead by now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm 

hermie wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
JoeMangled wrote:

Was it him or McQuilkan (or both) who had a sick father/relative? Of course said relative could be recovered or dead by now...

If I remember correctly - Plumtree's was to be closer to family - no more than that was confirmed.

McQuilkans was 100% a terminally ill relative.

Take with a pinch of salt but Plumtree is out of contract next season.

Rassie is going to leave before contract is out - 100% and whilst everything I was told today by the Shanning Scum was that - they also said it could well depend on how season is going - he could leave early and Jacques to finish season off. Wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
hermie wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
JoeMangled wrote:

If I remember correctly - Plumtree's was to be closer to family - no more than that was confirmed.

McQuilkans was 100% a terminally ill relative.

Take with a pinch of salt but Plumtree is out of contract next season.

Rassie is going to leave before contract is out - 100% and whilst everything I was told today by the Shanning Scum was that - they also said it could well depend on how season is going - he could leave early and Jacques to finish season off. Wait and see.

Interesting. Also a pity as I was hoping Plumtree would eventually come back to the Ireland set up. Would be a great addition to freshen things up in, say, 2019 for the RWC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 pm 

Anyone else having issues getting on site? Can get on through my phone but not computer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 pm 

Zappa is weeding out the groupthinkers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:44 pm 

IRFU in a bit of power play with SARU who want Rassie asap and knowing him leaving in December is no good for munster.

Sounds messy. Haggling going on with perhaps keeping Jacques for the season.

Not sure what's driving it. Would leave us rightly goosed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 pm 

I now understand what the lads meant about the Belsonic gig turning the area into smick city.

Fucking loads of teenage skangers getting off buses on the embankment and heading up to Ormeau park en masse. x(

Scrawny pasty lads, shirts off, bottles of bucky. Birds in denim shorts, loadsa pink clothing. Lovely crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 pm 

Plumtree seemed to do pretty well for Ireland. Would be a good replacement. If he'd made up his mind and just f**ked off then Rennie or Keane might have been available.

Edit, or MOC :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm 

Just watched the Irl/Japan game, and a fair few reasons to be quietly happy, even allowing for how limited Japan were. Our front row stocks are getting ridiculous, with Ryan and Healy getting better and better, individually and as a pairing, while Scannell looks like he'll be putting serious pressure on Rory for the two shirt. I thought watching the game he had put in a huge shift, and the stats, with 13 tackles and 8 carries in 55 minutes, back that impression up. The replacement front row was excellent as well, and our depth in what had always been a area of huge concern is now outstanding, especially when you consider that Buckley and Cronin were left at home. The second row were ok, but the backrow was superb, and I'll be very surprised if Conan isn't starting for Leinster next season, while Leavy was excellent, and didn't seem to let his serving of shite against the US bother him.

McGraths passing has come on a long way, and his kicking was on the money. It was interesting to see that he was copying Murray's "more is less" kicking style, concentrating on getting the height and length of kick right rather than trying to kick the cover off the ball. He can lose a bit of focus occasionally, resulting in him slowing play down, but he has shown how good the defensive side of his game is, with some great cover tackles in both the tour games so far. After Marmion excellent displays against the US and in the 6ns the situation at 9 is beginning to look a lot better.

I thought Jackson was very good, and Ringrose was his usual self, but I was really pleased with Rory Scannell who I thought had a nice understated performance, and defended and attacked well, finding his way and not trying to do too much. He also showed up well at 10.

In the back three Earls continued his unbelievable form, while Zebo looked sluggish, and Conway mixed the very good with the bad.

All in all, another step forward for quite a few players, and I think that, despite the poor quality of both The US and Japan, this has been invaluable for the younger players in getting such a lengthy exposure to Schmidt philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

Zebo was the only player to disappoint really. Sweetnam should have been brought ahead of him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Zebo was the only player to disappoint really. Sweetnam should have been brought ahead of him.

When is the last time he actually played well for Ireland?

Been skating by on that heel flick against the taffs for 4 years

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

He's off the pace of the game for whatever reason. I don't subscribe to the view that he's carrying poundage, because I believe that if he pitched up overweight to the Irish camp Joe would throw him out, and he wouldn't get back too quickly. He looks like a guy who is carrying a few jiggly injuries, none of which on their is serious enough for him to miss a game, but cumulatively are fcuking him up. I'll be surprised if he features next Saturday, and I'd like to see a a back three of Earls, ROL and TOH.

For me a big disappointment was that Japan finished with a 100% return from their lineout, and we didn't make any impression on it in the game. They showed great variety, but I would have expected, given the height disparity, that we would have at least pressured them into s few mistakes or some scrappy takes, but we really were poor on their ball.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chicago.

Had some nice moments in 6N. Looking for a big stand out game.

Joe said he's carrying knee injury. Don't think he'll play this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZGTfEQqqI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm 

crouchy wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chicago.

???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chicago.

He's had a good season alright, that being one of his best games in green. A lot of players can probably claim that day as one of their best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 pm 

His best matches have all been serviceable, rarely actually great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Tough crowd :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

He's off the pace of the game for whatever reason. I don't subscribe to the view that he's carrying poundage, because I believe that if he pitched up overweight to the Irish camp Joe would throw him out, and he wouldn't get back too quickly. He looks like a guy who is carrying a few jiggly injuries, none of which on their is serious enough for him to miss a game, but cumulatively are fcuking him up. I'll be surprised if he features next Saturday, and I'd like to see a a back three of Earls, ROL and TOH.

For me a big disappointment was that Japan finished with a 100% return from their lineout, and we didn't make any impression on it in the game. They showed great variety, but I would have expected, given the height disparity, that we would have at least pressured them into s few mistakes or some scrappy takes, but we really were poor on their ball.

Toner isn't really a good defensive lineout player. He's doesn't have the quickness of feet and thought required.
Roux isn't a top notch lineout operator either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

I'll accept his never really had a really dominant game - but he's been more than serviceable in an awful lot of games to be game.

He's been excellent in all his November tests.

Last edited by Banana Man on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Tough crowd :lol:

It's a thankless task providing the creativity and try scoring passes of three players in one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm 

Look, I was as big a backer of Zebo as anyone.
But he's never really excelled at the highest level.
He's rock solid when he plays well, and can finish a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
crouchy wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Chicago.

???

Honestly, I am not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Toner isn't really a good defensive lineout player. He's doesn't have the quickness of feet and thought required.

I can't imagine that "getting at the Japanese lineout" would have been a major consideration going into the game, not nearly so much as it would have been against England or Wales in the 6N, or against SH oppo in November.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm 

DOB wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I can't imagine that "getting at the Japanese lineout" would have been a major consideration going into the game, not nearly so much as it would have been against England or Wales in the 6N, or against SH oppo in November.

We troubled the English lineout because in POM and Henderson you have two top quality athletes who can jump and Ryan is much more athletic than Roux or Toner too, and as such all can get up quicker.

Last edited by earl the beaver on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm 

DOB wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I'd have thought that denying the opposition quality primary possession would be high on the agenda in any game regardless of who you're playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm 

Captain Average wrote:
Went looking for Earls' stats on ESPN. Think they may have gotten something slightly incorrect here:

Position Utility back
Height 5 ft 10 in
Weight 191 lb

What a player at the moment though. He's on fire. Should be on the Lions tour without a shadow of a doubt.

Is his middle name not Gerard, because the rest seems pretty accurate?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
We troubled the English lineout because in POM and Henderson you have two top quality athletes who can jump and Ryan is much more athletic than Roux or Toner too, and as such all can get up quicker.

We had one steal(POM) and one over throw(Henderson) against the English. IIRC Ryan messed up their ball once but they retained it anyway. It was a gameplan heavil focused on territory and defense. I'm happy enough we had a different approach against the Japanese.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 pm 

RWC2015 wrote:
Captain Average wrote:

Position Utility back
Height 5 ft 10 in
Weight 191 lb

Is his middle name not Gerard, because the rest seems pretty accurate?

nah, he's only 160 lb.

He lost a bunch of weight while at Glasgow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7493, 7494, 7495, 7496, 7497, 7498, 7499 ... 7634  Next