Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8198, 8199, 8200, 8201, 8202, 8203, 8204 ... 8902  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm 

shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Gibbes being linked with a return to coaching with Cheika

http://www.the42.ie/jono-gibbes-ulster- ... 6-Feb2018/

Would an international set piece coaching role be better/more desirable than a club head coach role?

He doesn't want to be a head coach

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm 

danthefan wrote:
That not my captain stuff is f**king mental. Look at this shit:

Quote:
“Innocent until proven guilty” only has meaning in the criminal justice system, it is not an absolute truth & should not protect those accused of heinous acts. The public are free to reach their own conclusions & choose to believe Jackson et al are guilty. #FRAvIRE #NotMyCaptain

You read it here first chaps, the criminal justice system is irrelevant.

I think most of the time it's best not to look at these people. They do their cause, and moderates that might sympathise somewhat, a huge disservice.

Saying that, in the context of the 6N, this all could have been avoided by Best not going to the trial. A text message, dropping over to the house afterwards for a word, a phone call, all would have saved the squad from this distraction. For me it's a monumental lapse of judgement coming into a 6N.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Would an international set piece coaching role be better/more desirable than a club head coach role?

Depends on the state of the club!

Which could be a very big attraction in itself, if he had complete IRFU (ie Ulster Branch bypassed) backing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:
“Innocent until proven guilty” only has meaning in the criminal justice system, it is not an absolute truth & should not protect those accused of heinous acts. The public are free to reach their own conclusions & choose to believe Jackson et al are guilty. #FRAvIRE #NotMyCaptain

I think most of the time it's best not to look at these people. They do their cause, and moderates that might sympathise somewhat, a huge disservice.

Saying that, in the context of the 6N, this all could have been avoided by Best not going to the trial. A text message, dropping over to the house afterwards for a word, a phone call, all would have saved the squad from this distraction. For me it's a monumental lapse of judgement coming into a 6N.

So in a way it's actually bests fault that these dickheads are spouting their nonsense. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

So in a way it's actually bests fault that these dickheads are spouting their nonsense. Awesome.

That's very Cathy Newman of you. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

Was Best asked to attend by the prosecution?
If so and he didn't, could they have used that against Jackson and Olding?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm 

SASP wrote:

Maybe a_j could confirm or deny but how would something happening over two years after the fact be used as evidence against them? Wouldn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

The irony of a reply like this is that you're guilty of exactly the same refusal to see any nuance that the notmycaptain idiots are.

Throw away any grey and distil it down to black/white.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

Except they didn't go to support Olding and Jackson. Apparently the prosecution asked them to go so that they got both sides of the story because they're giving Olding and Jackson a character reference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm 

SASP wrote:

He was called as he is a character witness in the trial, he could have probably made up a vaguely plausible excuse to not attend but once he agreed to be a character witness I can't see how there would be any outcome that didn't end in some sort of high profile outrage.

Likes of the Eddie Halvey case, Garry Sliotar etc show the pitfalls of being a character witness in modern day media environment, I don't envy Best for having to make such a call and your opening yourself up to considerable stress (agree to be a character witness in a potentially controversial trial or say no to protect my public profile but abandon a friend) whatever decision you make.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

danthefan wrote:
SASP wrote:

Maybe a_j could confirm or deny but how would something happening over two years after the fact be used as evidence against them? Wouldn't make sense to me.

I would suspect that he would come across as a better character witness if he actually attended court and heard the accusations in court.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

Except they didn't go to support Olding and Jackson. Apparently the prosecution asked them to go so that they got both sides of the story because they're giving Olding and Jackson a character reference.

My previous post refers but once you agree to give a character reference in support of someone that is the media narrative that will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

My previous post refers but once you agree to give a character reference in support of someone that is the media narrative that will follow.

Agree with your post, if he hadn't gone it would have come out that he refused to go and the same people would have said the exact same things about him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

Rumham wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

He doesn't seem to fancy the HC role for whatever reason. That's been his story for the last few years when the opportunity presented itself.

Well he's Head Coach at Ulster currently, not DoR however

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm 

Quote:

Australia would be last place to go to take such a role. If the set piece goes to pot he will get accused of being a Kiwi mole like Robbie Deans was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:01 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuFP_Qhp_4

Good interview with furlong, talks a lot about scrummaging, the youth pathways etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

CM11 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

Agree with your post, if he hadn't gone it would have come out that he refused to go and the same people would have said the exact same things about him.

Precisely. Any prosecutor would have used their failure to attend against any statement and he would have been a plum anyway.

Porterbelly1 wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Why would you tbf.

Ulster is now a poison chalice.

de_Selby wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Quote:

The irony of a reply like this is that you're guilty of exactly the same refusal to see any nuance that the notmycaptain idiots are.

Throw away any grey and distil it down to black/white.

No, I get. There are good reasons for Best not to attend, but fear of social media vilification isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm 

Quote:
No, I get. There are good reasons for Best not to attend, but fear of social media vilification isn't one of them.

And those good reasons are?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm 

paddyor wrote:

Which of course is not a point I made, you complete dope.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Quote:

Jesus fudging Christ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm 

It has its own thread lads

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
It has its own thread lads

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I post on a thread that isn't this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm 

I'll put you deep in the cold ground.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Why would you tbf.

Ulster is now a poison chalice.

Gibbes has been the head coach at Ulster since he joined :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

RWC2015 wrote:
So, Stockdale 6 tries from 6 games.

Joey "the messiah" Carbery 7 wins from 7 appearances.

One of our biggest issues with Joey was his place kicking and there has been no mention of how much it has improved recently, didn't he nail one from the touchline on Sat as well.
Sometimes Sexton over eggs the loop but at least it keeps the defence honest, there were a couple of times I think he could have used it a bit more. There was one time in particular when he threw a long miss pass in our 22 that arrived with the defender.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuFP_Qhp_4

Good interview with furlong, talks a lot about scrummaging, the youth pathways etc.

Great guy! Well worth a listen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm 

I think Ireland will probably beat Wales and Scotland and it'll come down to the final game in Twickers.

I see Schmidt's loyalty to Rob Kearney as a potential achilles heel though. He offers little in attack, and just can't/won't tackle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm 

5-6 weeks for Lyttle with his hamstring, 6 for Reidy with his knee, a number of weeks for Piutau and a dislocated rib cartilage. I wonder is it time for Piutau to start packing his bags?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm 

Captain Scarlet wrote:
I think Ireland will probably beat Wales and Scotland and it'll come down to the final game in Twickers.

I see Schmidt's loyalty to Rob Kearney as a potential achilles heel though. He offers little in attack, and just can't/won't tackle.

Who is this ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
Captain Scarlet wrote:

Who is this ?

I think it might be one of the Mysterons.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
5-6 weeks for Lyttle with his hamstring, 6 for Reidy with his knee, a number of weeks for Piutau and a dislocated rib cartilage. I wonder is it time for Piutau to start packing his bags?

Looked it up and apparently dislocated rib cartilage will usually take anywhere between 8-24 weeks after treatment, if it’s pretty bad then that’s him done. At best, 8 weeks is mid April, not exactly much rugby left by then

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Looked it up and apparently dislocated rib cartilage will usually take anywhere between 8-24 weeks after treatment, if it’s pretty bad then that’s him done. At best, 8 weeks is mid April, not exactly much rugby left by then

Well then, I hope he enjoys Bristol! It's an alright town!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm 

Captain Scarlet wrote:

If kearney plays he needs to stop running the ball.

He never bounces another player and the number of turnovers he concedes running from the back.

He has a big boot. USE IT.
I like Kearney for the solid reception of the high ball he offers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm 

nardol wrote:
Captain Scarlet wrote:

He never bounces another player and the number of turnovers he concedes running from the back.

Which he then turns over too often by running into the biggest opposition players he can find, as you mentioned above. I cannot imagine any other player's glaringly obvious limitations being tolerated to this extent. If he doesn't completely shit the bed, and then smear the shite across Joe's face, all his mistakes are ignored, and he's eulogised for catching an occasional ball. Its fcuking insanity. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm 

nardol wrote:
Captain Scarlet wrote:

That's horseshit tbf. He very often bumps the first man and rarely gets turned over. The problem is that he makes little headway after bumping someone and we get pretty slow ball off him. Also that he never looks to evade anyone.

There's a lot of problems with his counterattacking. Don't invent more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm 

Lenny wrote:
nardol wrote:
Captain Scarlet wrote:

Which he then turns over too often by running into the biggest opposition players he can find, as you mentioned above. I cannot imagine any other player's glaringly obvious limitations being tolerated to this extent. If he doesn't completely shit the bed, and then smear the shite across Joe's face, all his mistakes are ignored, and he's eulogised for catching an occasional ball. Its fcuking insanity. :shock:

Stop making stuff up. He barely ever gets turned over after taking contact. That's complete nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm 

nardol wrote:
Captain Scarlet wrote:

Yes, as I watched on Saturday I wondered if he led the stats for taking the ball into contact, ruck ensuing?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm 

Kearney has already stated that he's been directed to run straight up field and create a target for the pack.

It'd have been interesting to see what would have happened with Payne fit.

The issue with Kearney is that those who don't like him only focus on what he does poorly. There's literally no way for him to offset any errors in their eyes. He could score a hat-trick, beating 10 defenders per try and it'd make no difference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8198, 8199, 8200, 8201, 8202, 8203, 8204 ... 8902  Next