Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7973, 7974, 7975, 7976, 7977, 7978, 7979 ... 8920  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
JoshVDF's 34 successful tackles (0 Missed) is a record since Opta began recording league stats in 2010 according to some lad on twitter

RR.

But no harm repeating.

:thumbup:

In all the (justified) Leavy hype we are forgetting that VDF is a freakish talent. Played most of the game against NZ in Chicago, carried and tackled like a titan that day too! Different skillset: VDF runs better lines and is better carrier, Leavy is better at the breakdown. Along with SOB, Leinster arguably have the three of the best 7s in Europe.

VDF is in his hole a better carrier than Leavy

He's an athletic freak and excellent in defence. I think Leavy is the more complete and a higher ceiling.

I'd agree with this. Both excellent players, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm 

hermie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
For me VdF isnt the sort of player you bring off the bench, Leavy can fill that roll perfectly. I still think POM/SOB/Stander are in poll position to get the starting spots but it’s very harsh to leave Leavy/Conan/VdF out, and one of Heaslip/Stander if the former was fit. We have great depth there now :smug:

VDF is the perfect impact sub. He's done it very well in that role for Leinster and Ireland of late. Don't want to use it as a stick to beat him with or anything but you're plainly wrong as he is the sort of player you can bring off the bench and give you that energy (which seems to be the buzz word de jour) that you need.

Point taken, but he’s not the kind of guy to bring off the bench to beat up tired bodies or be super physical for the final 20 in the same way someone like Leavy would be. I suppose it depends on the kind of impact you would like

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 pm 

Leavy has a much higher ceiling. He just looks like a 6.5 at the moment and needs to settle into one of them. His biggest issue will be a lack of lineout jumping as a 6 or pace as a 7. Will be a brilliant player all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote:
Dillane is playing back into form. He will bench.

No problem with that. If any of the 3 decent locks get injured though....?

I think it's more than that, we could probably get by without one of Toner or Dillane (but not both) but we'd be truly dropping down without Hendy, he's playing great stuff and is by a distance our best lock.

Literally head and shoulders.... apart from the height thing

I love the way Earl is so desperate to remind us how good Henderson is, in case we forget or something.

It's gonna be lot when he gets dropped for Dillane in the middle of the 6 nations and Schmidt name checks him for mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm 

IRUA

St Michaels 1st XV just pumped Leinster u-19 in Donnybrook ... I lost track of the score ... think it was 8 tries to nil

they look like a good bet for the senior cup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:41 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Not actually talking about the indiviual merits of a player. We were discussing the back-ups. If we lose any of those 3 we're in trouble IMO, don't think any of Roux/Moloney/Treadwell are able replacements just yet. You're a match injury(more likely if you're flogging the starters) from having to bring 2 of them in.

Molony played really well yesterday (27 tackles, 0 missed - which is usually a weakness in his game) but he's jumper more than a pusher. You'd neither to play him with Henderson Toner or Roux (and the theory is that one of them is iinjured).

Yeah Molony is an aggressive chap and is a very capable athlete but he's short on power. You could see the Leinster maul had real trouble setting yesterday. At international level it would be exposed even more. He's still a relative young lad though so there's no reason to think he won't be able to add heft.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Moloney who Leinster fans were calling for to be dropped not so long ago?

Treadwell has the most recent involvement with Ireland, then roux.

I'm pretty sure you're making this up but even if we give you the benefit of the doubt, so what? Leinster cast offs walk into the Ulster starting XV.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:09 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
JoshVDF's 34 successful tackles (0 Missed) is a record since Opta began recording league stats in 2010 according to some lad on twitter

RR.

But no harm repeating.

In all the (justified) Leavy hype we are forgetting that VDF is a freakish talent. Played most of the game against NZ in Chicago, carried and tackled like a titan that day too! Different skillset: VDF runs better lines and is better carrier, Leavy is better at the breakdown. Along with SOB, Leinster arguably have the three of the best 7s in Europe.

He's an athletic freak and excellent in defence. I think Leavy is the more complete and a higher ceiling.

I'd say he is a better carrier. He takes the ball at pace and he aims for space instead of defenders. Leavy is more powerful but he does have a tendency to just take contact and set up a ruck sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:

RR.

But no harm repeating.

Have a look at VDF's carrying stats against the ABs. He picks fantastic lines - really smart player. Leavy might (emphasise might here) be a better tight carrier but VDF is far better at picking a line and targeting a weak shoulder. Both have perfect tackling technique and Leavy is a better over the ball. Not a bad headache to have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:22 pm 

I think Leavy picks excellent lines too, you're probably right that VDF times his runs slightly better but the point is that he has to get it perfect to make a decent carry because he's not strong enough to compensate. Leavy is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm 

Luke McGrath has scored 5 tries in his last 5 games, not bad going.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm 

danthefan wrote:

If only he could pass.

[/before anyone else says it]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm 

danthefan wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Moloney who Leinster fans were calling for to be dropped not so long ago?

Treadwell has the most recent involvement with Ireland, then roux.

I'm pretty sure you're making this up but even if we give you the benefit of the doubt, so what? Leinster cast offs walk into the Ulster starting XV.

In fairness I thought Earl was talking about Ireland not Ulster. I’d take Molony up here in a heartbeat. I do have a soft spot for AoC though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm 

CM11 wrote:
I think Leavy picks excellent lines too, you're probably right that VDF times his runs slightly better but the point is that he has to get it perfect to make a decent carry because he's not strong enough to compensate. Leavy is.

Yeah he runs very good support lines but I think off rucks VDF has the edge on him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm 

Talking of strike rates, Gilroy now has 6 tries in 7 games (when he came back from injury). Is there an Irish winger who has scored more than that? Back in the 6N squad perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 pm 

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

If only he could pass.

hes an excellent player

hes a bit of a way off murray yet, but who isnt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Talking of strike rates, Gilroy now has 6 tries in 7 games (when he came back from injury). Is there an Irish winger who has scored more than that? Back in the 6N squad perhaps?

Stockdale must be fairly close including his 3 tries in 2 games in the AIs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pm 

harry 22 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

If only he could pass.

hes an excellent player

hes a bit of a way off murray yet, but who isnt

I like McGrath a lot. It's just infuriating that he's good for at least 5 poor passes a game where the receiver is either exposed to a rib tickler or has to nearly dive on the ball. Just getting rid of those poor passes alone would move him up a level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:10 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Stockdale must be fairly close including his 3 tries in 2 games in the AIs.

I can’t think off hand what he’s done over all but he’s scored at least three, from memory, 1 vs Quins 1 vs Connacht and 1 vs Wasps. He’s missed a good bit as well tbf given Ireland duties

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm 

hes the best 9 we've had in a long long time

he is inconsistent with his passing but he brings tempo to the entire team and they're flourishing out wide despite the odd errant pass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 pm 

God that was a miserable night for some rugby, Ulster u19s won pretty handily.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

So that's the Pro12 & Friends sorted in 2022 and the SpivCup in 2023 :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 pm 

RWC2015 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

RR.

But no harm repeating.

Have a look at VDF's carrying stats against the ABs. He picks fantastic lines - really smart player. Leavy might (emphasise might here) be a better tight carrier but VDF is far better at picking a line and targeting a weak shoulder. Both have perfect tackling technique and Leavy is a better over the ball. Not a bad headache to have.

Can’t use a match from 14 months ago as a barometer.

Leavy picked a dream of a line for your try v Exeter

I take the points on VDFs ability to pick a line, and I’m at pains here to say he’s an excellent player, but Leavys raw power means that even simple things like the amount of players needed to clear him out of a ruck gives him an edge for me.

Breakdown is everything in modern game and Leavy is just a brute in tight exchanges.

Not sure VDF is a link man in that Gleeson/Martyn Williams role - but don’t think any province has had anyone like that to be fair.

Leavy might not be as adapt yet as popping up in outside channel but he’s getting there. I can’t see VDF all of a sudden turning into Hooper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:35 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

So that's the Pro12 & Friends sorted in 2022 and the SpivCup in 2023 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Only if we're playing as dismal a team as that Canada one! Reid was comparatively quiet to his best but was still rather good. Big 5 was good, backrow was decent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:35 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

How’d Reid get on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

How’d Reid get on?

Grand like, showed some mad skills, powerful in the contact, and scrummaged well, decent for his first game back in ages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Matt Healy has 6 in 3 games :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:56 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Ulster U19 Dev Team to play Canada U19:

(1-8): Callum Reid, Clayton Milligan (Capt), Seif El Gawaad, Stephen Kelly, Conor McMeniman, Phil Campbell, Charlie Clarke, David Browne;
(9-15): Lewis Finlay, Matthew Hamilton, Robert Balacoune, Keelin Coyle, Aaron Sexton, Zack Kerr, Ben McCaughey.

Replacements: Paul McGookin, Bryn Davies, Robbie Mathers, Matthew Sands, Kyle Gill, Michael Stronge, Ben Moxham.

Hmmm, what sort of side is that??

Never heard anything about a lot of those players?

I think Lewis Finlay is the Down High scrummie and from what I've seen, tremendous potential.

Campbell beat Canada U19 last week, 20 - 17 or something similar.

Callum Reid has good ability too and apparently Sexton was a star for the u18 side that won the Interpro schools side.

Reid was international level potential, not something that can be said for any underage Ulster looseheads.

He definitely has underage international ability, too much to tell whether or not he can go all the way. The kid has a magnificent chance to earn a shit load of money (£100k+ each year for the next 10-12+ years), his has the natural ability, he'd be crazy not to put his all into it.

Or am I overrating his potential?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
He definitely has underage international ability, too much to tell whether or not he can go all the way. The kid has a magnificent chance to earn a shit load of money (£100k+ each year for the next 10-12+ years), his has the natural ability, he'd be crazy not to put his all into it.

I wouldn't say so, though the one thing is that he's not a giant, but boy is he a hell of an athlete.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm 

What's Tommy Bowe up to now.

He was advertising some travel show, topless, on a beach with some ride of a blonde on BBC 1 N!!!!

Looks interesting. :o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 pm 

Couldn't really form an opinion on Finlay at 9 but he didn't do much wrong.

I would add as well, the sub TH was absolutely massive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

I wouldn't say so, though the one thing is that he's not a giant, but boy is he a hell of an athlete.

Cian Healy wasn't a brute of an underage player either (certainly not the same size as Paddy mcallister or Jack McGrath), but he soon hit the gym and turned into an even better athlete.

unseenwork wrote:

Any outside backs stand out? Remember reading that Sexton was an Ulster junior sprint champion!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Cian Healy wasn't a brute of an underage player either (certainly not the same size as Paddy mcallister or Jack McGrath), but he soon hit the gym and turned into an even better athlete.

unseenwork wrote:

Any outside backs stand out? Remember reading that Sexton was an Ulster junior sprint champion!!! :shock:

Wasn't the night for it too much, though the wingers and fullback did do well on taking some of Canada's kicks and running from deep. Sexton didn't make much of an impression other than one run he had down the wing, though had he passed the ball it was a near certain try, looks ridiculously athletic though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm 

Sure is windy out

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm 

harry 22 wrote:

he is inconsistent with his passing but he brings tempo to the entire team and they're flourishing out wide despite the odd errant pass

He isn't even as good as Bossy when he was good, never mind Reddan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 pm 

alliswell wrote:
Sure is windy out

‘Tis, Galway is getting a right battering.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

The Cooney for Ireland bandwagon is funny, if rather obvious !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

It’s not out fault we just happen to have the second best 9 in Ireland. These things just happen

Of course, we’ll soon be reminded that he’s actually from Leinster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

It’s not out fault we just happen to have the second best 9 in Ireland. These things just happen

Sure he reminds you of that himself everytime he opens his mouth. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

When he is No 2 you will be reminded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7973, 7974, 7975, 7976, 7977, 7978, 7979 ... 8920  Next