Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7979, 7980, 7981, 7982, 7983, 7984, 7985 ... 8921  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
No Dunleavey?

No, due to injury though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
harry 22 wrote:
not sure all the criticism of Kiss is warranted...

thats as bad a group of tight forwards we've seen in the provinces in a number of years imo. best has barely been fit this year and hendo cant play every game. the fact that herring is the most notable tight forward after that should be a clue

every other game they're going to get smoked up front. very hard to win like that

i've said before. they need to be moving heaven and earth to get the likes of Dooley/byrne from Leinster to pair with Moore. I'd even be looking at Bent whos become a serviceable TH

you cant blame Kiss for Coetzee's being permacrocked, nor can you blame him for the Jackson/olding issues. thats 3 serious players out long term

have some perspective ulsterfans

I think the problem with Kiss is his personality, his motivational skills and actually his defensive coaching

So, imagine how a typical Ulsterman presents himself and talks and then we are seeing this cub run about with an american style baseball hat and talking complete and utter shit in interviews. He needs to act a bit more like McLaughlin...

He keeps chopping and changing his sides, last week he played a FB at 13 and a 13 at 12 FFS. :roll:

If a Munster fan said that we'd be laughing at that nonsense. Is this the Ulster version of pashun? Some sullen exemplar of Presbyterian work ethics and stolid bloody-mindedness?

The problem with Kiss is that the pack is absolute shite and Ulster have pissed away a load of money on Piatau rather than get in another decent forward at a time when Coetzee has proven unreliable.

Add in to the mix the Olding/Jackson imbroglio and not many coaches would be thriving. Harry 22's not wrong in his summing up of the issue.

Gerry Thornley was giving out about rugby fans becoming like football fans on Second Captains, and he was highlighting this idea of people crying out for coaches to be sacked rather than examining the problems in a team or squad.

Ulster have problems in the squad, some they have tried to address and then seen marquee signings get crocked and for the first and so far only time not been allowed to sign cover.

However, Kiss does not have the team playing to it's ability, Ulster have a much better squad than the likes of the Kings, Treviso or the Dragons yet we're scraping past or losing to these teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
By English bunch you mean Itoje yes? None of the others are better than him.

Kruis and Launchberry both are

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am 

Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Why does the CEO need to have much knowledge of rugby? Ulster seem to do very well commercially and that's his job surely. I've never really seen or heard of Mick Dawson getting involved in the rugby side of things. In fact he's had a very low profile recently.

Ah not that blunt.

I did my thesis on stuff like this how business decisions are different in pro sport etc

The players are both the employees and the product in a sense.

Commerical decisions need to be in line with playing ones. It's not crucial but it is important

You're right about there needing to be some acknowledgment that it's not a normal business, but, as Dan says, you ideally have a CEO who sits back and lets the coaching staff do their work. You don't need Silvio Berlusconi marching in to give tactical advice to the team. Albeit he did sign up Sacchi and back him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 am 

Ulster improved under Anscombe, so I have no real issue with McLaughlin being replaced, especially given the original plan was for him to do 2 years and then for Buzz to step up and McLaughlin had to be talked into doing the 3rd year where we reached the HEC Final.

Under Anscombe we genuinely were the best team in the league, where the issue was was the lack of planning for binning him off. Yes he was a piss head but he was much better than Doak and Clarke and Ulster should not have got rid of him without getting someone lined up rather than the mad scramble which ended up with us getting Kiss for a bit of a season then having Doak and Clarke in charge for another year while waiting for his Ireland contract to finish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am 

EverReady wrote:
shortbutlong wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Though, was it Logan or the players who did for McGlock?

Humphries, the vindictive, nepotistic sod.

Exactly and then he fûcked off. He was like a toddler who smeared sudocreme all over the telly but is found reading a book on the stairs.

D Humph was done for by "take things to the next level" Anscombe not turning out quite as promised but more importantly, not winning anything and the knives were out from blazers who weren't happy about McGlock being ditched.

There was also speculation that D Humph wanted the IRFU Performance Director job but was passed over in favour of Nucifora so could also have been a factor for him fecking off to Glaws.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am 

goose81 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Apart from you know Hendy completely outplaying Launchbury both with Ulster and Ireland and then getting on the Lions tour while Launchbury, em, didn't.

Kruis is a good player but he's a very different type of player to Hendy and the Lions tests showed up some weaknesses that Hendy, as a more athletic player, doesn't have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am 

Earl you are also a significant problem for Ulster. By you I mean fans living in Leeds so there might be more than one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Why does the CEO need to have much knowledge of rugby? Ulster seem to do very well commercially and that's his job surely. I've never really seen or heard of Mick Dawson getting involved in the rugby side of things. In fact he's had a very low profile recently.

Ah not that blunt.

I did my thesis on stuff like this how business decisions are different in pro sport etc

Commerical decisions need to be in line with playing ones. It's not crucial but it is important

You're right about there needing to be some acknowledgment that it's not a normal business, but, as Dan says, you ideally have a CEO who sits back and lets the coaching staff do their work. You don't need Silvio Berlusconi marching in to give tactical advice to the team. Albeit he did sign up Sacchi and back him.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong but I just don't see what a CEO should be doing beyond bringing in the coaches. Even at that Gibbes was an excellent appointment Other than sack Kiss what action can he take to try turn things around on the field?

Ulster simply do not have the players.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am 

Earl

Which Lions test do you think Hendo was best in? :|

Hendo has 16 test starts, 4 last calendar year. He doesn't have a large enough body of work at test level to be called world class yet. Which is why I said he might achieve it this year (if he stays fit) given it'll be his first season as clear first choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Ulster improved under Anscombe, so I have no real issue with McLaughlin being replaced, especially given the original plan was for him to do 2 years and then for Buzz to step up and McLaughlin had to be talked into doing the 3rd year where we reached the HEC Final.

Under Anscombe we genuinely were the best team in the league, where the issue was was the lack of planning for binning him off. Yes he was a piss head but he was much better than Doak and Clarke and Ulster should not have got rid of him without getting someone lined up rather than the mad scramble which ended up with us getting Kiss for a bit of a season then having Doak and Clarke in charge for another year while waiting for his Ireland contract to finish.

Yep, the way in which Anscombe was replaced was a car crash. They could have quite easily given him a third year like everyone was expecting and identified a successor without the panic that actually happened.

It could still have ended up being a Kiss/Doak/Clarke coaching ticket the next season, though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 am 

danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Ah not that blunt.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong but I just don't see what a CEO should be doing beyond bringing in the coaches. Even at that Gibbes was an excellent appointment Other than sack Kiss what action can he take to try turn things around on the field?

We have the players to be doing better than we are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
goose81 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Apart from you know Hendy completely outplaying Launchbury both with Ulster and Ireland and then getting on the Lions tour while Launchbury, em, didn't.

Kruis is a good player but he's a very different type of player to Hendy and the Lions tests showed up some weaknesses that Hendy, as a more athletic player, doesn't have.

I thought it was actually a crime Launchberry didnt tour, for me he is Englands best lock the only reason Hendy was picked over him was because he covered 6 since he was never in the plans to start

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am 

CM11 wrote:
Earl

Which Lions test do you think Hendo was best in? :|

Hendo has 16 test starts, 4 last calendar year. He doesn't have a large enough body of work at test level to be called world class yet. Which is why I said he might achieve it this year (if he stays fit) given it'll be his first season as clear first choice.

Where did I say tests?

I base my rating of him given his performances against England, SA and Argentina where he was fantastic, plus he had a great Lions tour where he was extremely unlucky not play in the tests and his consistently top class play for Ulster over the past 12 months, I don't think he needs more than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
mikerob wrote:
alliswell wrote:
I wouldn't envy any coach going into that setup. Sounds like there's something rotten up there.

I can't help but think there is a "big fish, small pond" issue with Ulster. Too many players living a comfortable life and thinking they are the dogs bollox being minor celeb pro sports players in what is basically a big town. Players like Rory Best and Trimble have been model pros themselves but a player-led culture of excellence never seems to have developed at Ulster, like it has at winning teams.

Agreed. In honesty I would hope this Jackson/Olding business would serve as a warning to some youngsters coming through. Our decent players don’t seem to be leaders either, aside from Best.

I would say currently whitelock, retallick and Itoje would be ahead of Henderson. I wouldn’t have launchbury or Kruis there though.

Kruis, Launchberry, Estebeth and Henderson are of a level, whether through blowing hot and cold, or being injured too regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 am 

He is grand.

Has this been done https://www.rugbypass.com/news/watch-34 ... g-tackles/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:09 am 

Ulster: No Baseball Caps Allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
CM11 wrote:
World class has a number of definitions but for me it's a level of play and not if you're in the top 5. You could have 20 world class players in one position and no world class in another.

I would probably have Hendo just below world class right now. He could achieve that standard over this calendar year.

If his level of play hasn't been this world class level you speak of then I'm not sure what more he can do.

Fantastic for Lions, great for Ireland since he came back in and has single handedly beaten up a few supposed better packs on his own for Ulster (Wasps being the prime example)

Wasps and who else? Quins? No neeed to gild the lily.

I'd have Launchbury and Nakarawa(something different) up there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0104/930993-larmour-definitely-talented-enough-for-six-nations/

Tell em Seanie!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am 

EverReady wrote:

Twice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:15 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Ah not that blunt.

Who?

The pack at its best is what?

1. Van der Merew;
2. Best;
3. Herbst;
4. Henderson;
5. Treadwell;
6. Coetzee;
7. Henry;
8. Deysel.

Maybe you'd prefer Timoney, Rea or Reidy in the backrow.

Irrespective of which, that's not a great pack. Overall, you've four journeymen Saffers (well 3 and Coetzee,), two Lions and then a collection of squad players and youngsters. Munster and Leinster both have much stronger packs. So do Scarlets, Ospreys and Glasgow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am 

danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Ah not that blunt.

CEO shouldn't be involved with coaching - thats not at all what I am saying. Nor is is crucial - can surround with a good team of advisors etc

But there is tonnes of work out there on this (well its all relative - seemed like tonnes years ago) on how teams with CEOs with a sporting knowledge/background - not ex players etc - but more ones who understood the game and didn't view it as simple profit and loss - had more successful teams.

Granted alot of the data was American - but you couldn't lift a successful CEO from say a huge manufacturing plant and put him in charge of a pro team and vice versa. Commercial and accounting decisions have different impact.

As above - the labour force is also what you sell in a sense

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am 

paddyor wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Twice.

Third time is a charm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
goose81 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

This is a weak barometer especially since Henderson didn't even make the test side. See what I did there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
No Dunleavey?

William Fay from Lansdowne was in Irish camps and was given start at 8 in training after Dorris

But did his knee and out for season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Who?

1. Van der Merew;
2. Best;
3. Herbst;
4. Henderson;
5. Treadwell;
6. Coetzee;
7. Henry;
8. Deysel.

Irrespective of which, that's not a great pack. Overall, you've four journeymen Saffers (well 3 and Coetzee,), two Lions and then a collection of squad players and youngsters. Munster and Leinster both have much stronger packs. So do Scarlets, Ospreys and Glasgow.

Van Der Merwe is piss, a waste of a signing. Put it this way he's not injured, just not good enough to be selected.

One of Black or McCall is first choice. Unfortunately going by form it's currently Black.

We're fûcked there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Ah not that blunt.

Who?

1. Van der Merew;
2. Best;
3. Herbst;
4. Henderson;
5. Treadwell;
6. Coetzee;
7. Henry;
8. Deysel.

I would not be having the South African Callum Black in the front row for bloody starters.

In that pack you have 3 top class players, Best, Henderson and Coetzee, who would all start for practically any side in Europe.

You then have Deysel (a capped Saffer with loads of experience), Herbst (a solid but unspectacular TH), Treadwell (a young recently capped Irish international), either Henry (a vastly experienced player, vital part of 6N winning teams and former captain) or Reidy (our most consistently good forward over the past 2 seasons) and McCall (a prop who has suffered through weird selections, being fúcked around positionally and injury).

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as made out, however, Coetzee is crocked, Deysel, McCall and Herbst spend loads of time injured, Henderson and Best are both rested for Ireland a lot and Henry is getting old.

Not replacing Coetzee is really hurting us in the short term but Rea, Timoney and Jones have all seen game time through his injury (although given injuries to others they probably would have anyway). However, none of those players are ever going to be at the level of Coetzee, Best or Henderson.

We have a real lack of depth due to a decade of failing to bring through forwards from the academy.

Also the Ospreys? Some good players but they're bottom of their conference for a reason. Scarlets rely on their backline and playing loose nearly as much as Ulster ffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Ah not that blunt.

You're at your level. 3rd in the conference, well clear of Edinburgh, well behind Leinster. 2nd in your European pool, ahead of Wasps, behind La Rochelle.
You may not like some of the performances but a squad has to be rotated and if you go to second choice players in your pack then they're a bit shit. And you've no backup 10. And your backup 9s are shite .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am 

Launchbury not going on the Lions tour was a joke tbf.

Using "he was on the Lions" as some full stop on an argument is also daft, especially when you never shut up about terrible various Ireland selections are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am 

unseenwork wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Who?

1. Van der Merew;
2. Best;
3. Herbst;
4. Henderson;
5. Treadwell;
6. Coetzee;
7. Henry;
8. Deysel.

Van Der Merwe is piss, a waste of a signing. Put it this way he's not injured, just not good enough to be selected.

One of Black or McCall is first choice. Unfortunately going by form it's currently Black.

We're fûcked there.

I mean, that's half the problem. Props need to be capable of a lot about the pitch these days, plus they need to be able to scrummage. All three other provinces have much stronger first choice props. Any of Ryan, Cronin or Kilcoyne would walk into the Ulster squad. So would Bealham, Coulson or Buckley. As for Leinster, same again. That's just not sufficient to compete in the Pro 14.

I think Earl is right in saying the Ulster side between 2012 and 2014 was cracking, but the failure to win anything means that people seem to think the current side is somehow comparable. Leinster haven't won much lately either, but have a lot of credit in the bank from winning stuff. People don't seem to accept that Ulster need a complete rebuild. Dumping Kiss won't make the Ulster pack good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 am 

Earl

4 test starts last year.

You're having a laugh using anything below test level. The only relevant games to judge whether a player is world class are games against the best sides at international level and to be considered world class you need a consistent body of work over a number of years against the best. Given our itinerary this year Hendo will be well tested and if he performs as you believe he will, he'll end the year considered one of the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am 

danthefan wrote:

Using "he was on the Lions" as some full stop on an argument is also daft, especially when you never shut up about terrible various Ireland selections are.

I'll go back to Hendy dominating him for Ulster and Ireland then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:

How is Henderson better than Lawes and AWJ by the way? They both made the test 23.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Henderson just needs to string a few games together this 6 nations for Ireland at lock (instead of being injured) & he'll be up there with Itoji.

Anyone using the lions as a stick to beat him has some cheak. He was as good as Lawes in the games together and AWJ only started the tests because of who the coach was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 am 

Arbitrary definitions of what constitutes world class are tedious.
Hendy is a very good player, everyone is agreed. Who f**king cares if he's slightly better or worse than other excellent players?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Arbitrary definitions of what constitutes world class are tedious.
Hendy is a very good player, everyone is agreed. Who f**king cares if he's slightly better or worse than other excellent players?

Very much the above.

He's our very good/world class player - don't really care about other teams/players - so long as Ireland win

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am 

CM11 wrote:
Earl

4 test starts last year.

You're having a laugh using anything below test level. The only relevant games to judge whether a player is world class are games against the best sides at international level and to be considered world class you need a consistent body of work over a number of years against the best. Given our itinerary this year Hendo will be well tested and if he performs as you believe he will, he'll end the year considered one of the best.

He has schooled all those English chumps. He has schooled Etzebeth to the point where its getting a bit embarrassing for big Eben. He has schooled the Aussies and the ABs. Until he plays 10 tests in a year against Tier 1 opposition I will have my reservations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am 

He wasn't in the 23 when we beat NZ :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am 

Another thing I don't get about Ulster is how the supporters always have some rumour or another about what's going on behind the scenes. That's not something you see with successful teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am 

Banana Man wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
No Dunleavey?

William Fay from Lansdowne was in Irish camps and was given start at 8 in training after Dorris

But did his knee and out for season.

:thumbdown:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7979, 7980, 7981, 7982, 7983, 7984, 7985 ... 8921  Next