Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8282, 8283, 8284, 8285, 8286, 8287, 8288 ... 8922  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am 

Kinsellas team the same as thornley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am 

Good team.

No pissing about. Go and best them. Laidlaw a bit cheeky last year.

Dressing room wall!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:16 am 

Indo are reporting the same side, plus they're saying SOB will play for Leinster on Friday.

Quote:
The back-row of Peter O'Mahony, Dan Leavy and CJ Stander will be retained, with Jordi Murphy set to come on to the bench.

Those players will need to perform in order to keep their places, because Seán O'Brien is in the frame to make a timely comeback from injury for Leinster against Scarlets tomorrow. If he comes through, it is likely that he'll be called up to face England.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am 

I like the team.

Excited to see Larmour off the bench. Would love to see him come on at 15.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am 

goose81 wrote:
Kidney was always an odd one to work out, like does he tactically have a clue about the game or was he just a guy who put good players into a mindset where they go out an perform. I think the former and given poor players he would do a shocking job.

He seems to be a motivational guy more than rugby skill , you might as well hire Enda McNulty as a head coach

I would describe him as possibly not knowing how to build a winning hand, but if he already had one then he certainly knew how to play it.

Won the 2006 HEC in his first season back at Munster.

Won the Grand Slam in his first season with Ireland with a few tweaks to EOS's team - clearly the better motivator.
As time when on (and the rules changed after 2009) the game drifted away from what he knew and the team regressed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am 

Looking forward to see how Dunleavy does for Ireland under-20, also be good to see French/O'Toole get starts in the front row.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am 

Yer Man wrote:
goose81 wrote:
Kidney was always an odd one to work out, like does he tactically have a clue about the game or was he just a guy who put good players into a mindset where they go out an perform. I think the former and given poor players he would do a shocking job.

He seems to be a motivational guy more than rugby skill , you might as well hire Enda McNulty as a head coach

I would describe him as possibly not knowing how to build a winning hand, but if he already had one then he certainly knew how to play it.

Won the Grand Slam in his first season with Ireland with a few tweaks to EOS's team - clearly the better motivator.
As time when on (and the rules changed after 2009) the game drifted away from what he knew and the team regressed.

The Munster side that won in 06 - he had built the nucleus of from 99 -03 - and those lads hadn't exactly achieved before he took over

I think he is a bigger believer in getting all the right structures in place, right people around - marginal gains.

Think he would go well at London Irish to be honest.

But think it's well known he's more the facilitator type rather than a Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am 

Kidney did ok for Leinster before bailing out early.

London Irish will have f all pressure in the championship, it's a joke of a league, good place to build new structures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Kidney did ok for Leinster before bailing out early.

London Irish will have f all pressure in the championship, it's a joke of a league, good place to build new structures.

Kidney undermined a lot of what he did well at Leinster with the HEC QF selection. That said, he clearly righted the ship initially and probably laid some groundwork for Cheika to build upon (Cheika's task would have been harder if he'd succeeded Ella, IMO).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am 

I would hate to see Kidney get a hard time on here. I think the man has had an incredibly tough few years and deserves another shot at happiness or filling his days.

He is a brave man taking the reigns at London Irish and starting again. I think we should all wish him the best rather than focussing on the negatives of the last year of his reign.

Best wishes to him

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 am 

I wonder can Kiss rediscover himself?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
goose81 wrote:

The Munster side that won in 06 - he had built the nucleus of from 99 -03 - and those lads hadn't exactly achieved before he took over

I think he is a bigger believer in getting all the right structures in place, right people around - marginal gains.

He's a bigger picture sort of coach so needs the technical wonks below him on the intricate stuff but he's sharp enough on overall strategy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Gets a lot of flack on here, but certain people can’t give him credit for the fact he built a lot of good structures and got the actual winning of trophies rolling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 pm 

It's been a very disappointing 6N for Jack Conan. I had high hopes of a Kieran Read type ball player at no.8, but he has flattered to deceive when he has gotten game time. At 25 it might be fair to start to wonder if this is what he is as a player.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 pm 

Foot Up wrote:
It's been a very disappointing 6N for Jack Conan. I had high hopes of a Kieran Read type ball player at no.8, but he has flattered to deceive when he has gotten game time. At 25 it might be fair to start to wonder if this is what he is as a player.

Nah, he's been excellent for Leinster all season and was good against Italy when given the start. He's still inexperienced at this level but he'll get there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Gets a lot of flack on here, but certain people can’t give him credit for the fact he built a lot of good structures and got the actual winning of trophies rolling.

There's certainly a lot of shite talked about him, but his record prior to 2006 was outstanding, taking Munster to HEC Finals in 2000 and 2002. He recruited brilliantly, with Langford and Williams setting examples and standards that were alien to a lot of Irish professionals at the time, and he had a great eye for the character of the players he wanted playing in his side. I think his greated achievement as a coach was creating the structures within the squad that allowed the players to achieve their potential, by making everything more professional but also by bringing in great coaching staff. With Ireland his masterstroke was recruiting Plumtree, and allowing him to be such a huge influence in the squad, without any fear that it would take any of the praise or credit away from him.

I know Deccie since we were kids, as a neighbour and a clubmate, and he was always slightly strange, but he was always a team player and completely without ego, and that allowed him to surround himself with strong characters and talented coaches. which was in marked contrast to EOS, who could have done with some of those qualities. Incidentally, I think Joe has a lot of those strengths, with added coaching and technical genius.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm 

Lenny wrote:
With Ireland his masterstroke was recruiting Plumtree, and allowing him to be such a huge influence in the squad, without any fear that it would take any of the praise or credit away from him.

Do you mean Smal? Plumtree was hired by Schmidt iirc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:58 pm 

Diego wrote:
Lenny wrote:
With Ireland his masterstroke was recruiting Plumtree, and allowing him to be such a huge influence in the squad, without any fear that it would take any of the praise or credit away from him.

Do you mean Smal? Plumtree was hired by Schmidt iirc

Sorry, Gert Smal. :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

SOB captaining Leinster. :thumbup:

Quote:
Leinser Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Dave Kearney (120)
14. Barry Daly (21)
13. Rory O’Loughlin (35)
12. Noel Reid (96)
11. James Lowe (7)
10. Ross Byrne (43)
9. Nick McCarthy (20)
1. Ed Byrne (20)
2. Bryan Byrne (24)
3. Michael Bent (102)
4. Ross Molony (58)
5. Scott Fardy (15)
6. Josh Murphy (6)
7. Seán O’Brien (114) CAPTAIN
8. Jack Conan (67)

16. James Tracy (56)
17. Peter Dooley (45)
18. Adam Coyle (1)
19. Mick Kearney (31)
20. Max Deegan (14)
21. Charlie Rock (1)
22. Ciarán Frawley (2)
23. Adam Byrne (33)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

All but confirms the leaked team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 pm 

Diego wrote:
Foot Up wrote:

Nah, he's been excellent for Leinster all season and was good against Italy when given the start. He's still inexperienced at this level but he'll get there.

Excellent for Leinster since Heaslip went down (Did he win Leinster player of the Year last year?). Im not so sure for Ireland. Like you said inexperienced, but didn't do much vs Italy outside a very nice piece of play for Murray's try and was quiet vs Fiji outside of a really athletic score himself.

Bags of potential but needs to stay involved in games. He is well behind the careers of POM or SOB at the same stage, despite looking at least as good at provincial level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 pm 

Quote:
Scarlets team to take on Leinster;

15 Tom Williams, 14 Ioan Nicholas, 13 Paul Asquith, 12 Steff Hughes ©, 11 Ryan Conbeer, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Jonathan Evans, 1 Phil Price, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Steve Cummins, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 7 Josh Macleod, 8 Will Boyde
Replacements; Emyr Phillips, Rhys Fawcett, Simon Gardiner, Josh Helps, Lewis Rawlins, Declan Smith, Ioan Hughes, Tom Varndell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm 

Deegan is going to overtake Conan within a year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:08 pm 

CM11 wrote:

Immediately after the world cup would be my guess. I reckon Doris turns out better than both

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm 

No JGP?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

Leinster Lions lads,

How is Luke McGrath doing? Will he back for Saracens?

I want Lowe to play against them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm 

BTW there are photos up of the Ireland training session and Sexton is taking part with the squad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm 

CM11 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Going around the forum reminding people it's just their opinion is beyond tedious. We all know that. It's implicit in every post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 pm 

CM11 wrote:

Depends on who plays six for Leinster imo. If it's Ruddock, then yeah, possibly. Leavy, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Going around the forum reminding people it's just their opinion is beyond tedious. We all know that. It's implicit in every post.

That is just your opinion.

I have received 3 letters of support.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm 

Looking at the Leinster and Scarlets teams just shows the gulf when it comes to squad depth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Looking at the Leinster and Scarlets teams just shows the gulf when it comes to squad depth

I tremble at the thought of what Ulster team will come out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

I tremble at the thought of what Ulster team will come out.

Even at full strength it is grim reading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm 

discoconway wrote:
Indo are reporting the same side, plus they're saying SOB will play for Leinster on Friday.

Quote:
The back-row of Peter O'Mahony, Dan Leavy and CJ Stander will be retained, with Jordi Murphy set to come on to the bench.

Those players will need to perform in order to keep their places, because Seán O'Brien is in the frame to make a timely comeback from injury for Leinster against Scarlets tomorrow. If he comes through, it is likely that he'll be called up to face England.

Conan really fell a notch or two this 6N. And people thought POM was anonymous. It's hard playing international rugby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:41 pm 

Conan really should move to Ulster before the indignity of being overtaken by younger lads...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
goose81 wrote:

There's certainly a lot of shite talked about him, but his record prior to 2006 was outstanding, taking Munster to HEC Finals in 2000 and 2002. He recruited brilliantly, with Langford and Williams setting examples and standards that were alien to a lot of Irish professionals at the time, and he had a great eye for the character of the players he wanted playing in his side. I think his greated achievement as a coach was creating the structures within the squad that allowed the players to achieve their potential, by making everything more professional but also by bringing in great coaching staff. With Ireland his masterstroke was recruiting Plumtree, and allowing him to be such a huge influence in the squad, without any fear that it would take any of the praise or credit away from him.

I know Deccie since we were kids, as a neighbour and a clubmate, and he was always slightly strange, but he was always a team player and completely without ego, and that allowed him to surround himself with strong characters and talented coaches. which was in marked contrast to EOS, who could have done with some of those qualities. Incidentally, I think Joe has a lot of those strengths, with added coaching and technical genius.

He also won an U-19 WC way back in the day with the first crop of top level talent we had produced in donkeys years. The guy knows a bit about coaching, not that you'd know it from reading this place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Conan really should move to Ulster before the indignity of being overtaken by younger lads...

Hands off, I suppose you would like us to give you Lancaster as head coach as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:

Still more likely to get champions cup game time with Leinster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm 

what "time" is the team annoucement set for? 1.45?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8282, 8283, 8284, 8285, 8286, 8287, 8288 ... 8922  Next