Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8577, 8578, 8579, 8580, 8581, 8582, 8583 ... 8981  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

It's going to take a lot of grit on Ulster's part, Clarke's incompetence, and a lot of home advantage to pull this off.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:26 pm 

That Osprey's back row should destroy Ulster all on their own - should. Always a chance of a one-off performance and Christ knows you guys will need it.

I can't see us beating Leinster at all. Perhaps if Cloete was back we might have been competitive at the breakdown but now I just don't see it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:29 pm 

Also Gibbes isn't taking the job in La Rochelle: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 19250.html

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

Are all injured. That pack would utterly wipe the floor with what we're putting out on Sunday.

You won't believe this but PP have Ulster as 4 point favourites. I never back against an Irish team, otherwise I'd be backing the Ospreys with the handicap.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 pm 

What a horrible year for Ulster supporters. Really hope they win on Sunday.

It must be incredibly frustrating not to know let alone have a proven first choice 15 available.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm 

Still enough in that Munster team to worry Leinster. The back row and Murray key, have to deliver to stand a chance.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:

It must be incredibly frustrating not to know let alone have a proven first choice 15 available.

If we lose, the kids get plenty of exposure in Europe and we might actually have a half-decent chance of winning something. I won’t be actively hoping we lose, but that pack surely illustrates why a year in the Challenge Cup might do some good.

Leinster won the same cup 5 years ago and their projection since hasn’t been awful.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 pm 

Ian McKinley is on the late late show tonight if anyone is interested.

Hopefully he will not be singing or dancing or talking about the referendum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhv9HJaA67c

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

Are all injured. That pack would utterly wipe the floor with what we're putting out on Sunday.

I'd have Reidy in over Deysel and AoC over Dalton. Also Kane possibly. Is McCall injured. I think he was behind Black and certainly Warwick anyway. Scrum should hold its own with our starting props but serious concerns about the lineout. Diack has to do a job there.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

I'd have Reidy in over Deysel and AoC over Dalton. Also Kane possibly. Is McCall injured. I think he was behind Black and certainly Warwick anyway. Scrum should hold its own with our starting props but serious concerns about the lineout. Diack has to do a job there.

I'd go for Deysel considering he's one of our top turnover winners.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

You despise Reidy though

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 pm 

cfm93 wrote:
Quote:
Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Joey Carbery (35)
14. Jordan Larmour (20)
13. Garry Ringrose (48)
12. Isa Nacewa (183) CAPTAIN
11. James Lowe (11)
10. Ross Byrne (48)
9. Luke McGrath (93)
1. Jack McGrath (131)
2. Seán Cronin (151)
3. Tadhg Furlong (82)
4. Devin Toner (216)
5. James Ryan (13)
6. Rhys Ruddock (140)
7. Jordi Murphy (105)
8. Jack Conan (72)

16. James Tracy (64)
17. Cian Healy (189)
18. Andrew Porter (28)
19. Scott Fardy (20)
20. Max Deegan (20)
21. Nick McCarthy (26)
22. Rory O’Loughlin (40)
23. Barry Daly (26)

No Leavy is a concern. Even if he was held in reserve he could make a difference in a tight game. Still quite pleased with that. Isa has pulled through; McGrath, Ruddock and Conan rotating in makes perfect sense. Tasty back three.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:51 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

You despise Reidy though

This is true.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

You despise Reidy though

Its a deep hatred, this is true.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
just looking at the list of players there are 18 who aren't from the munster system in their squad, it's a mix of southern hemisphere and leinster players.

this isn't meant as a dig but is there a real risk of the munster identity/culture being diluted?

Can never resist the urge to tell us how great Leinster do everything.

Can hardly compare Leinster to any of the other provinces when it comes to having homegrown talent in their squad, given the massive catchment area and resources at their disposal. 18 is pretty good, compare other teams in other leagues and they'd be lucky to have 5/6 homegrown players. Look at the raft of class players that have come through Munster in the last few years, Murray, POM and many more.

Ulster should be doing more,Connacht could be too but our catchment area and tradition etc is way off the provinces so it's always going to be a struggle. Most of the top athletes are playing GAA. We had a glut come through under Elwood, has dried up a bit since.

I live in Dublin and everybody around me plays Gaa and a brazillion other sports, stop whining.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:58 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Is Dalton injured?

That would mean:

1. McCall
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Henderson
5. Dalton
6. Rea
7. Coetzee
8. Deysel

You despise Reidy though

Its a deep hatred, this is true.

The secret is, it's his beard. I just can't stand it. Absolutely horrible.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

Neckbeards are all the rage among you student hipsters.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Neckbeards are all the rage among you student hipsters.

I prefer a good moustache. Neckbeards like Reidy's are horrific.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 pm 

9/23 players in that team are actually from Ulster.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Great article with Mushy on depression. Seems to be quite a lot of ex pros coming forward these days saying how hard the mental aspect can be.

http://the42.ie/4015798

Really fantastic article, just goes to show you have no idea what players are going though. Even aside from the depression all the commentary on his unfulfilled potential that he had during his career, while he was going through all those injuries/illnesses. It's easy to criticize from the bar stool I guess.
He comes across as a great guy

Yeah, I feel bad for some of the shit I directed his way.

Just read that second comment in the section below and you realise how fecking lucky most of us really are.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:11 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
And here's what we're up against:

Spoiler: show

oof. The lads will have to be playing angry against that pack.

IS IT ON TV?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm 

lemonhead wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Great article with Mushy on depression. Seems to be quite a lot of ex pros coming forward these days saying how hard the mental aspect can be.

http://the42.ie/4015798

Really fantastic article, just goes to show you have no idea what players are going though. Even aside from the depression all the commentary on his unfulfilled potential that he had during his career, while he was going through all those injuries/illnesses. It's easy to criticize from the bar stool I guess.
He comes across as a great guy

Yeah, I feel bad for some of the shit I directed his way.

Just read that second comment in the section below and you realise how fecking lucky most of us really are.

fudge me. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm 

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Munster win at the weekend. Good team they have out.

Fair play to Mushy and good luck to him :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
just looking at the list of players there are 18 who aren't from the munster system in their squad, it's a mix of southern hemisphere and leinster players.

this isn't meant as a dig but is there a real risk of the munster identity/culture being diluted?

Can never resist the urge to tell us how great Leinster do everything.

Can hardly compare Leinster to any of the other provinces when it comes to having homegrown talent in their squad, given the massive catchment area and resources at their disposal. 18 is pretty good, compare other teams in other leagues and they'd be lucky to have 5/6 homegrown players. Look at the raft of class players that have come through Munster in the last few years, Murray, POM and many more.

Ulster should be doing more,Connacht could be too but our catchment area and tradition etc is way off the provinces so it's always going to be a struggle. Most of the top athletes are playing GAA. We had a glut come through under Elwood, has dried up a bit since.

I live in Dublin and everybody around me plays Gaa and a brazillion other sports, stop whining.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm 

I think there'll be feck all in the match tomorrow .....

hopefully Ross Byrne stands up ..... it could put him on the plane to Australia

Larmour, Carbery, Lowe is exciting as anything going forward, but scary as hell defensively

Expect murray to kick the leather off it and Conway/Earls/Zebo to compete for everything

should be a cracker

also - Scarlets are 11/2 to beat Glasgow by 12+ .... I think they'll go to town on the weegies who have looked like they are a busted flush over the last couple of weeks.

could easily be another Munster-Scarlets final

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm 

NorthWestRugby wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:

If we lose, the kids get plenty of exposure in Europe and we might actually have a half-decent chance of winning something. I won’t be actively hoping we lose, but that pack surely illustrates why a year in the Challenge Cup might do some good.

Leinster won the same cup 5 years ago and their projection since hasn’t been awful.

The kids would get exposure at Champions Cup level though, and it's better for them to get it at a higher level. Ulster are in a rather fragile position, going from being one of the biggest TV draws in the country to something with minuscule exposure, a severely sapped squad, combined with a discontented supporter base, we really don't want to be in a competition that just about ranks above the B&I in terms of people caring about it. Leinster didn't fail to qualify for the Heineken though, they just failed to make the quarters, and that makes all the difference in terms of recruitment.

I just can't get behind the idea of the Challenge Cup being good for us at all, all it amounts to is less money and less exposure.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:

:thumbup: just a brutal year, and when u think things couldnt get any worse.
But the academy system and a really regular stream of really good quality young players constantly coming through is a major source of optimism
Hopefully McFarland can settle in quick (is he arriving in January or could he come early?)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm 

rfurlong wrote:

Larmour, Carbery, Lowe is exciting as anything going forward, but scary as hell defensively

Expect murray to kick the leather off it and Conway/Earls/Zebo to compete for everything

should be a cracker

also - Scarlets are 11/2 to beat Glasgow by 12+ .... I think they'll go to town on the weegies who have looked like they are a busted flush over the last couple of weeks.

I can see them Peppering Lowe, he is not great under the high ball.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
We're going to be bummed. AWJ and Davies will eat that pack alive in the tight and Tipuric is going to own the breakdown. We have zero depth and a load of injuries and simply can't cope.

Unless Timoney, Treadwell, AoC and co show up in a big way i agree but thats worth watching for imo. Similarly O'Toole and Regan. If they pull it off it will do serious stuff for their confidence going into pre season

I take my hat off to your optimism

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 pm 

Winnie wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
We're going to be bummed. AWJ and Davies will eat that pack alive in the tight and Tipuric is going to own the breakdown. We have zero depth and a load of injuries and simply can't cope.

Unless Timoney, Treadwell, AoC and co show up in a big way i agree but thats worth watching for imo. Similarly O'Toole and Regan. If they pull it off it will do serious stuff for their confidence going into pre season

That Ulster pack could be on the receiving end of a severe spit-roasting if you'll excuse my French.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:51 pm 

Bundee Aki captaining the Barbarians, Ultan Dillane and Niyi Adeolukun also in the squad

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm 

Winnie wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Well they are on a bit of form. I would suggest the break and the lack of Best will do for us. I dont think we will win but i wont rule it out. Discipline and leadership will be key. Theres enough talent in the backs to do some damage

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

should be a cracker

I'd be happy if Murray kept giving us the ball back. I think Lowe, Carbery, Larmour on the counter might balance the odd lost ball.

Post subject: Danthefan
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm 

Detail from the IT, Jackson is trying to reclaim some costs from the trial, he wasn't eligible for legal aid because there's a cut off of £375k per year and Jackson was earning "significantly" more than that.

Flippin hell.

His barrister also said he's no enjoyment and he's no offers of employment. Which I guess means the Sale contract has been withdrawn if it ever existed. Hopefully he finds a club.

Last edited by danthefan on Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

should be a cracker

I'd be happy if Murray kept giving us the ball back. I think Lowe, Carbery, Larmour on the counter might balance the odd lost ball.

Needs to catch the ball first, sure all they did against Edinburgh on a lovelly day was kick, kick, kick.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

should be a cracker

Needs to catch the ball first, sure all they did against Edinburgh on a lovelly day was kick, kick, kick.

We're not going to go the wrong side of all of them.

And if we do, fair dues to Murray and his chasers.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Detail from the IT, Jackson is trying to reclaim some costs from the trial, he wasn't eligible for legal aid because there's a cut off of £375k per year and Jackson was warning "significantly" more than that.

Flippin hell.

His barrister also said he's no enjoyment and he's no offers of employment. Which I guess means the Sale contract has been withdrawn if it ever existed. Hopefully he finds a club.

Jaysus. Time to sell the house and move back in with Mum and Dad I'd say, given the legal bills he'll have racked up. The last 2 years must have had a big effect on him mentally as well, hopefully he catches a break at some point as he has been completely f**ked over by Ulster and the IRFU.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

should be a cracker

Yep and invited Kinghorn et al into the game. Nearly cost them I felt.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 pm 

Luke and Quinny smoking some seriously strong shit.

https://independent.ie/sport/rugby/guin ... 21881.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comedy gold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8577, 8578, 8579, 8580, 8581, 8582, 8583 ... 8981  Next