Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8696, 8697, 8698, 8699, 8700, 8701, 8702 ... 8830  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm 

hermie wrote:
Flametop wrote:
That was far more of a hiding than the scoreboard reads.
Unpunished, cynical cheating by Australia kept them competitive.
Every time wecame close to scoring they either went offside or deliberately knocked the ball on.
I thought the ref was completely overawed by the occasion WRT Australian’s repeated infringements.
He was pretty keen with disciplining us though.

Anyway, an inexperienced Frenchman for the final match.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Gaüzère

Totally agree. 2 yellow cards to one is no reflection of how ill disciplined they were. Every time we got in behind they killed it. Ref spoke to Hooper twice but never so much as gave an official warming for repeat offending or cynical play in the red zone

He should have binned one of them after Furlong's try. No different to sending Healy off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 pm 

Just saw a replay of the Genia Healy incident, nothing in it at all, Genia must have sugar for bones if a fall like that can break his arm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:30 pm 

3 Irish born and bred players started for the USA in their win over Scotland.. and 1 of in the subs.. plus the attack coach is Irish.
Great to see our export players doing so well.

Irish contingent to the fore as USA make history and stun Scotland http://the42.ie/4075281

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:39 pm 

YOYO wrote:
3 Irish born and bred players started for the USA in their win over Scotland.. and 1 of in the subs.. plus the attack coach is Irish.

Irish contingent to the fore as USA make history and stun Scotland http://the42.ie/4075281

Limerick lad played for the mighty Trinidad and Tobago as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
YOYO wrote:

I had tickets for their match against Cayman yesterday but T&T couldn’t travel due to lack of funds :((

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:52 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
YOYO wrote:

I had tickets for their match against Cayman yesterday but T&T couldn’t travel due to lack of funds :((

He has pics up of a game against someone, must be a junior team or something.
Just had a look, it was against USA south.

Last edited by Mr. Very Popular on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:53 pm 

And, couldn’t you have thrown them a bitta Nazi gold? For the good of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:55 pm 

Trostan wrote:
If I'm right Toner is now the longest running, winning player in first class world rugby who's played regularly.
The last time he played in a losing team was 6N against Wales March 2017.

He hasn't played in any matches lost by Leinster and wasn't in last week 's 23.
So unbeaten in 15 months.

Open to correction, but,
Keep Dev for the must win matches.

Is this true? That's incredible.

To think how much credit we were giving the bum James Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
And, couldn’t you have thrown them a bitta Nazi gold? For the good of the game.

I said similar to a couple of heads from Cayman RFU, who are fairly loaded.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
YOYO wrote:

He has pics up of a game against someone, must be a junior team or something.
Just had a look, it was against USA south.

We smashed Bermuda by a point last month :smug:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:08 pm 

Good, I despise Bermuda.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Good, I despise Bermuda.

Something that I think unites us all. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm 

Check out Furlong’s clear out of pocock in the second half ..... it’s a thing of absolute beauty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:25 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Check out Furlong’s clear out of pocock in the second half ..... it’s a thing of absolute beauty

The improvement in how we dealt with him was incredible. Jack McGrath has also laid waste to him a couple times... aside from the total stupidity at the end he's had a nice series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm 

Yeah he was good and it was Healy's turn to look a bit tired. We are blessed really

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

The improvement in how we dealt with him was incredible. Jack McGrath has also laid waste to him a couple times... aside from the total stupidity at the end he's had a nice series.

You just have to work so hard to counter Australia at the breakdown though, they’re absolutely relentless. Even while poorly they won plenty of penalties and slowed down enough ball to keep them in the contest. Ireland played really well but it will take the same levels of intensity to get over the line next week

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

You just have to work so hard to counter Australia at the breakdown though, they’re absolutely relentless. Even while poorly they won plenty of penalties and slowed down enough ball to keep them in the contest. Ireland played really well but it will take the same levels of intensity to get over the line next week

Have to say, I think we made it easy at times for Aus. A bit too much running into them, need to be looking to spread it sooner in the 22.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:51 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Have to say, I think we made it easy at times for Aus. A bit too much running into them, need to be looking to spread it sooner in the 22.

We're kind of shit in attack.

Of the best four or five teams in World Rugby, which I'd call New Zealand, us, Saffers, England and Oz we're probably the least creative of all of them. I think it's interesting that somebody mentioned a couple of pages back that we don't need another playmaker in the squad as we have Murray and Sexton. I've never really bought into the idea that you can have too many playmakers. The idea that a lad who's a bit creative is suspect is still holding us back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:51 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Playing off 9 only works for a few phases in their 22. Just becomes too easy to defend after a while.
Need to play off 10 every few phases. Even if it's still just one pass to hit a runner and set a target, it'll spread the defence that bit more.

Then need to be awake as sometimes it's on if we can get two passes past 10, but the ball stays in the pack. I'd love to see Murray up and scanning wide and keeping regular eye contact with Sexton during those phases, just so he can deliver the ball when it's on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:55 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Playing off 9 only works for a few phases in their 22. Just becomes too easy to defend after a while.
Need to play off 10 every few phases. Even if it's still just one pass to hit a runner and set a target, it'll spread the defence that bit more.

Then need to be awake as sometimes it's on if we can get two passes past 10, but the ball stays in the pack. I'd love to see Murray up and scanning wide and keeping regular eye contact with Sexton during those phases, just so he can deliver the ball when it's on.

Yep.

AJ, no point having a creative FB, I assume that's what you meant, if we insist on leaving the ball in the forwards. Our approach play is actually alright, we had 8 linebreaks and 34 defenders beaten, it's the inability to turn all the ball we create in the 22 into points that's the issue and Nols has it right, we need to get it to Sexton every now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:59 pm 

No footage yet of Healy deliberately breaking Genias arm? How peculiar. How odd. SOB's heel palm to Papes midriff was on here before the half ended.

Seems odd? :|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:00 pm 

The zig-zag approach is understandable, but we really need just a couple of other tools in the box to unlock the defence in the 22.
Ball retention is king and were clearly looking for an opportunity after putting defenses under consistent pressure, but the top sides will lap that up all day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:13 pm 

I wish we'd do a bit more with our wingers. Seems most of our somewhat off cuff moves involve a cut between Sexton and Kearney

Would love to see Larmour coming onto one of those in a bit of space.

One of the few times Earls came off his wing we made a break too

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:20 pm 

We need to use the Loop more :nod:

Bring the likes of Ringrose and Larmour into the game more, create some space and then actually use it. Still think our backrow is unbalanced; set pieces are going well and the breakdown improved a lot, but they often don't offer much going forward - James Ryan probably had more and/or more effective carries. This is why a fit SOB will always come back in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:24 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

We run at them because we don’t want to isolate players and give away penalties. We’re usually very effective when holding onto the ball for long periods of time and grinding the opposition down. It might be boring to watch but it’s very frustrating to defend against.That’s why we don’t go wide very often and look a bit meh in attack

On another note I make it SA, NZ and Georgia in our u20 group next year based on standings . Is this right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:
No footage yet of Healy deliberately breaking Genias arm? How peculiar. How odd. SOB's heel palm to Papes midriff was on here before the half ended.

Seems odd? :|

Clip here. Doesn’t seem to be much in it.

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... &start=400

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm 

CM11 wrote:

Yep.

AJ, no point having a creative FB, I assume that's what you meant, if we insist on leaving the ball in the forwards. Our approach play is actually alright, we had 8 linebreaks and 34 defenders beaten, it's the inability to turn all the ball we create in the 22 into points that's the issue and Nols has it right, we need to get it to Sexton every now and then.

Oh this isn't a "dump Kearney" post, nothing of the sort. More that we're really weak at scoring tries. We're not bad at getting up and down the pitch, but because of the structured game, teams don't feel they need to give us much space.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:46 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Yep.

Oh this isn't a "dump Kearney" post, nothing of the sort. More that we're really weak at scoring tries. We're not bad at getting up and down the pitch, but because of the structured game, teams don't feel they need to give us much space.

Don't worry, I didn't take it as a criticism of Kearney as such.

I don't think it's even a case of much more creativity. It's just that we're running straight into contact a bit too much and aren't tying in enough defenders. Need to be hitting softer shoulders.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:49 pm 

http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/vide ... %E2%84%96f

Very good link for the U20s final if any of yizzers need one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:19 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
Trostan wrote:
If I'm right Toner is now the longest running, winning player in first class world rugby who's played regularly.
The last time he played in a losing team was 6N against Wales March 2017.

He hasn't played in any matches lost by Leinster and wasn't in last week 's 23.
So unbeaten in 15 months.

Open to correction, but,
Keep Dev for the must win matches.

Is this true? That's incredible.

To think how much credit we were giving the bum James Ryan

It's not true. He was on the bench for the reaming at the sportsground

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:57 pm 

danthefan wrote:
http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=OTcxOTY%E2%84%96f&c=en&i=eWl2bW9iZGlzaA%E2%84%96f%E2%84%96f

There's a perfect YouTube stream on the world rugby channel.

That was a pretty special game. I hope the Top14 doesn't ruin too many of those French players.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:13 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:

Of the best four or five teams in World Rugby, which I'd call New Zealand, us, Saffers, England and Oz we're probably the least creative of all of them. I think it's interesting that somebody mentioned a couple of pages back that we don't need another playmaker in the squad as we have Murray and Sexton. I've never really bought into the idea that you can have too many playmakers. The idea that a lad who's a bit creative is suspect is still holding us back.

It was me and the point was that a 3rd playmaker at 12 would be wasted the way we play. If you want someone more creative/passer you'd be better off putting them in at 15 IMO. Kearney made 3 good passes yesterday FYI.

I don't think our attack is shit. Even last week when we weren't at our best we created chances and anyway the problem there was we kept getting turned over or we couldn't get any quick ball. That said we aren't particularly good when we do go wide. Yesterday:

Earls kicked ahead in his own 22 and got tackled, Sexton was raging with him because it went too far and he ended up being offside.
Larmour kicked ahead to the Australian 22(this nearly worked out but it's still turning over possession)
Earls threw and intercept off a lineout
Ringrose knocked on
Ringrose threw a pass to no one which was nearly intercepted larmour did well with it though.
5m out we move it wide only to get turned over by Pocock because of a poor clearout.
Henshaw knocked on under no pressure

There was similar last week with Stockdale kicking out on the full. It wasn't all bad, we mostly retained the ball and made metres. Also the Aussies slapped the ball down twice. I think there's room for improvement. Or maybe that's just the risk/reward.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 pm 

danthefan wrote:
http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=OTcxOTY%E2%84%96f&c=en&i=eWl2bW9iZGlzaA%E2%84%96f%E2%84%96f

Sound, that’s a job for tomorrow’s hangover :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 pm 

paddyor wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

It was me and the point was that a 3rd playmaker at 12 would be wasted the way we play. If you want someone more creative/passer you'd be better off putting them in at 15 IMO. Kearney made 3 good passes yesterday FYI.

I don't think our attack is shit. Even last week when we weren't at our best we created chances and anyway the problem there was we kept getting turned over or we couldn't get any quick ball. That said we aren't particularly good when we do go wide. Yesterday:

Earls kicked ahead in his own 22 and got tackled, Sexton was raging with him because it went too far and he ended up being offside.
Larmour kicked ahead to the Australian 22(this nearly worked out but it's still turning over possession)
Earls threw and intercept off a lineout
Ringrose knocked on
Ringrose threw a pass to no one which was nearly intercepted larmour did well with it though.
5m out we move it wide only to get turned over by Pocock because of a poor clearout.
Henshaw knocked on under no pressure

There was similar last week with Stockdale kicking out on the full. It wasn't all bad, we mostly retained the ball and made metres. Also the Aussies slapped the ball down twice. I think there's room for improvement. Or maybe that's just the risk/reward.

3rd playmaker at 12?
We have 1 at 10, Murray plays to script when Sexton is there so a creative 12 would be gold for us, give Ringrose time to pick a line or at least give us options left and right of Sexton.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

Dont think another playmaker at 12 is what Joe wants, if you do you’ve got 9-10-12-13 who can all make sometjing happen which in itself is no bad thing but isn’t how Joe sets up to play. This is assuming Ringrose is at 13 as well

Joe’s 12 is clearly someone who will make the tackles and hit the rucks more all day but not offer too much in attack rather than a Scannell or Olding who can play the ball a bit more but may lack something in defense

Having a playmaker at 15 would have been perfect to come in to the line when needed but there’s no one that really fits the bill after Payne, who was defensively sound at 15 but also a really good attacker. Conway is probably the best we have in terms of someone similar to Payne but even still theres a contrast in style and a bit of a difference in class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:32 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Dont think another playmaker at 12 is what Joe wants, if you do you’ve got 9-10-12-13 who can all make sometjing happen which in itself is no bad thing but isn’t how Joe sets up to play. This is assuming Ringrose is at 13 as well

Joe’s 12 is clearly someone who will make the tackles and hit the rucks more all day but not offer too much in attack rather than a Scannell or Olding who can play the ball a bit more but may lack something in defense

Having a playmaker at 15 would have been perfect to come in to the line when needed but there’s no one that really fits the bill after Payne, who was defensively sound at 15 but also a really good attacker. Conway is probably the best we have in terms of someone similar to Payne but even still theres a contrast in style and a bit of a difference in class

Not going to name he who should be named, but there’s a player leaving that could easily fit the bill of an attacking 15.
Anyway, he’s gone, and we need a player to spark something for our backs, no issues with any of the wings because they all work hard but 12/13 and 15 can be easily marshalled as things stand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
3rd playmaker at 12?
We have 1 at 10, Murray plays to script when Sexton is there so a creative 12 would be gold for us, give Ringrose time to pick a line or at least give us options left and right of Sexton.

Murray is our primary playmaker and there's far more craft to what he does than sling it out to one out runners to bosh it up. E.g the passing for both tries yesterday(the Furlong one was pure sex). He's better off with a 12 who'll hit the line at speed as a carrier or a decoy IMO. Now that's not to say a less boshy 12 couldn't do it but they'd probably be less effective at it and if they're trucking it up then they're you're not going to get much value out of their passing.

I also have a theory that keeping the attack narrow is part of our game management for Murray and the pack.

Last edited by paddyor on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Not going to name he who should be named, but there’s a player leaving that could easily fit the bill of an attacking 15.
Anyway, he’s gone, and we need a player to spark something for our backs, no issues with any of the wings because they all work hard but 12/13 and 15 can be easily marshalled as things stand.

On current seasons form he'd be no where near the team. The Pro14 SF was a whole new level of flakiness.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:25 pm 

I think we've made some good strides in our attacking play over the last 12 months.

The Australia games don't concern me so much because I think keeping our runners tight and closer to the support was a plan to limit the effect of their poachers.

Making clean linebreaks against Australia is as likely to result in a turnover as it is a try or territory gain at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 pm 

paddyor wrote:
I also have a theory that keeping the attack narrow is part of our gaime management for Murray and the pack.

I think you’re completely right on that, we attack and defend narrow to provide more support and cover for the fact it isn’t the quickest team.

But we could still really do with someone who can step in as second playmaker, which most teams have, not just to distribute but also to organise.

A perfect example was when Murray put in the shitty cross kick. Sexton was at the bottom of the ruck and while Ringrose was first receiver, our back line at that point was Ringrose, Henshaw, Furlong and Larmour, and it was super flat/static and poorly spaced. You needed a guy to bollock the people outside him to get some shape and attack the line.

Part of that is coaching but it is also having the players with that ability/intent.

When you are defending us you know that the ball is going to a forward or it is going through Sexton, most other top sides have a few more options.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8696, 8697, 8698, 8699, 8700, 8701, 8702 ... 8830  Next