Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8845, 8846, 8847, 8848, 8849, 8850, 8851 ... 9082  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
earl the beaver wrote:
Honest question here, do we actually have enough players to make a 23?

16 players confirmed out, 4 potentially out.

Maybe a backrow of Deysel, Hall, Timoney? Clive on the bench alongside this Luney lad perhaps?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3378
Location: G W C
unseenwork wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Honest question here, do we actually have enough players to make a 23?

16 players confirmed out, 4 potentially out.

Maybe a backrow of Deysel, Hall, Timoney? Clive on the bench alongside this Luney lad perhaps?


Rea, Rea, Deysel, Timothy (Bench)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm
Posts: 355
unseenwork wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Honest question here, do we actually have enough players to make a 23?

16 players confirmed out, 4 potentially out.

Maybe a backrow of Deysel, Hall, Timoney? Clive on the bench alongside this Luney lad perhaps?


1.Warwick
2.McBurney
3.O'Toole/Kane
4.O'Connor
5.Treadwell
6.Rea
7.Timoney
8.Deysel

But I'd rather see Deysel at 2nd row and give a young gun a chance in the back row.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
Addison, Gilroy, Cave, McCloskey, Kernohan, Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole, Henderson, O'Connor, Rea, Timoney, Deysel

McBurney, O'Sullivan, Ah You, Treadwell, Ross, Shanahan, Curtis, Nelson

That's my bet assuming Gilroy and Addison pull through.

edit: Forgot completely about Rea


Last edited by unseenwork on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58376
Location: Dirty Leeds
unseenwork wrote:
Addison, Gilroy, Cave, McCloskey, Speight, Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole, Henderson, O'Connor, Deysel, Hall, Timoney

McBurney, O'Sullivan, Ah You, Treadwell, Ross, Shanahan, Curtis, Kernohan

That's my bet assuming Gilroy and Addison pull through.

Speight is out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
earl the beaver wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Addison, Gilroy, Cave, McCloskey, Speight, Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole, Henderson, O'Connor, Deysel, Hall, Timoney

McBurney, O'Sullivan, Ah You, Treadwell, Ross, Shanahan, Curtis, Kernohan

That's my bet assuming Gilroy and Addison pull through.

Speight is out.

Emm, Nelson then...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
If Gilroy and Addison don't make it then maybe McPhillips or Lowry get drafted in at fullback? There's Iwan Hughes and Robert Baloucoune for the back three as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 7616
I wouldn't play Timoney against Munster at Munster.
Those culchies live for one out bosh rugby. We need lads in that backrow that are hungry for hits and getting stuck in. Timoney is not the man for the job.
I'd probably go Rea, Hall/A N Other and Deysel in the backrow. Is Chris Henry fit? Mighten't be a bad shout for him to get a game this weekend, given that we'll probably lose anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
Jim Lahey wrote:
I wouldn't play Timoney against Munster at Munster.
Those culchies live for one out bosh rugby. We need lads in that backrow that are hungry for hits and getting stuck in. Timoney is not the man for the job.
I'd probably go Rea, Hall/A N Other and Deysel in the backrow. Is Chris Henry fit? Mighten't be a bad shout for him to get a game this weekend, given that we'll probably lose anyway.

He ain't unfortunately. I agree on Timoney, and think he could do with a game out anyway, I think they'll pick him though unless they go for more of a B side.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15452
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the kids thrown in for the Munster game, try and get everyone recovered and then add the internationals in for the Connacht match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8444
Armchair_Superstar wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the kids thrown in for the Munster game, try and get everyone recovered and then add the internationals in for the Connacht match.


Would be daft not to have a right crack at Munster ..... they look very vulnerable based on their Cardiff performance.

Even accounting for the inevitable backlash from the cousin fondlers, Ulster need to be targeting these inter pros if they are serious wanting to make progress this season.

That and the fact I’ve backed you feckers st 4/1 !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15452
As the form team in Ireland we need to balance out developing the youth with competing on two fronts. There is a big European campaign coming up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 14022
rfurlong wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the kids thrown in for the Munster game, try and get everyone recovered and then add the internationals in for the Connacht match.


Would be daft not to have a right crack at Munster ..... they look very vulnerable based on their Cardiff performance.

Even accounting for the inevitable backlash from the cousin fondlers, Ulster need to be targeting these inter pros if they are serious wanting to make progress this season.

That and the fact I’ve backed you feckers st 4/1 !!!

Nah, Munster will account for them handy enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11981
Surely Munster will come out all guns blazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24989
Fun fact - we are now on page 8848 of this thread, which is the same number of metres as Everest is high.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19124
CM11 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Honest question here, do we actually have enough players to make a 23?

16 players confirmed out, 4 potentially out.


Well that's what the academy is for. Leinster regularly use over 50 players in a season, Ulster might be a bit lower but you should have 23 fit bodies at the very least.

Ulster used 50 players last season.
Leinster 55
Munster 52
Connacht 45


Possible team for this weekend (if everyone is out)

Warwick
Andrew
O'Toole
Henderson
AOC
Deysel
Timoney
Rea

Cooney
Burns
Kernohan
McCloskey
Cave
Sexton - feck it, just go for it
Nelson

McBurney
O'Sullivan
Kane
Treadwell
Ross / Jones / Hall / Dunleavy / Agnew
Shanahan / Stewart
McPhillips
Curtis / Hume / Moore


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 7616
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11981
Hume will be ahead of Sexton I would imagine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 9527
Sexton is 18 now, but he is still a school student can't see him lining out for Ulster this weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11138
Location: Watson city, MN
Jim Lahey wrote:
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.

Was Fitzgerald 17?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 9527
alliswell wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.

Was Fitzgerald 17?


No, also didn't play until he was finished school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11138
Location: Watson city, MN
irishrugbyua wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.

Was Fitzgerald 17?


No, also didn't play until he was finished school.

Adam Byrne?
Surely you just know the answer...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 9527
alliswell wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.

Was Fitzgerald 17?


No, also didn't play until he was finished school.

Adam Byrne?
Surely you just know the answer...


18 and out of school. IIRC

as far as i know no one still in school has played senior rugby for a province.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22012
There's always calls for some young lad to be called away from sitting his Leaving to tour the SH. Happened with D'Arcy, I think Staunton too, Luke Fitz. It's not a new phenomenon. It's less frequent nowadays that Ireland are actually good, than back in the 90s when someone could say "even if he hasn't finished school, he can't be worse than Niall feckin Hogan" and be a) serious and b) right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11510
AO'C is probably doesn't rate very high on the Nagle scale but doesn't seem to get injured often.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53596
Sexton has been lining out for the As, right? Not sure why he wouldn't be in consideration if they need a body but I presume they'd try to use others first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13278
Location: Belfast
its disappointing in the sense I had hoped to get a sense of where the ulster team was at against Munster. Now I suspect we will have to wait for Connacht at home which will be tricky. You'd expect Murphy, Henderson, Coetzee to all come in for that one though. In terms of the back five of the pack

AoC
Deysel
Rea
Hall
Timoney

Hall looked busy in the A game I was at. Have I forgotten any more established backrower?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4491
danthefan wrote:
Fun fact - we are now on page 8848 of this thread, which is the same number of metres as Everest is high.

Soon it will be seen from space.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 21973
Munster really need a good reaction after last weeks ‘performance’ so would hope to see a team along the lines of this.

Kilcoyne
Scannell
Archer
Kleyn
Beirne
Pom
Cloete
Stander

Mathewson
Carbery

Earls
Scannell
Arnold
Sweetnam
Conway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 9527
would that be 3 starts in a row for Joey?

With 3 more likely to come with Leinster and Europe?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 21973
irishrugbyua wrote:
would that be 3 starts in a row for Joey?

With 3 more likely to come with Leinster and Europe?


True enough, could see Keats start this one to see where he’s at.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm
Posts: 4047
Location: look behind you
Even though he's struggled so far, would there be a call for JJ to have a start?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33976
Location: Pigdogistan
Do you reckon Joey will be as protected as others in the international squad int terms of limited playing time, or do you reckon he's on a tailored plan which aims to get him as many minutes as possible playing 10?
I think I'd prefer the latter. Barring injuries, he's only going to bench and see reduced gametime in the internationals. He'll only start the USA and maybe Italian AI. Plenty of scope for him to build his minutes with Munster without compromising Ireland.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14624
Almost no chance Sexton plays for the rest of the season, Hughes or Baloucoune next off the block in terms of straight up back three players, though they may opt for Hume or Lowry ahead of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11981
irishrugbyua wrote:
alliswell wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Have the IRFU alllowed any 17 year olds to play pro rugby before?
I'd say there is a genuine need from Ulster's perspective, there aren't too many other options at this stage.

Was Fitzgerald 17?


No, also didn't play until he was finished school.

Adam Byrne?
Surely you just know the answer...


18 and out of school. IIRC

as far as i know no one still in school has played senior rugby for a province.

Sexton has already played for Ulster, albeit in a friendly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 21973
Nolanator wrote:
Do you reckon Joey will be as protected as others in the international squad int terms of limited playing time, or do you reckon he's on a tailored plan which aims to get him as many minutes as possible playing 10?
I think I'd prefer the latter. Barring injuries, he's only going to bench and see reduced gametime in the internationals. He'll only start the USA and maybe Italian AI. Plenty of scope for him to build his minutes with Munster without compromising Ireland.


I’d prefer to see him play as much as possible, especially in a game like this weekends which should be a step up in intensity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 9527
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Do you reckon Joey will be as protected as others in the international squad int terms of limited playing time, or do you reckon he's on a tailored plan which aims to get him as many minutes as possible playing 10?
I think I'd prefer the latter. Barring injuries, he's only going to bench and see reduced gametime in the internationals. He'll only start the USA and maybe Italian AI. Plenty of scope for him to build his minutes with Munster without compromising Ireland.


I’d prefer to see him play as much as possible, especially in a game like this weekends which should be a step up in intensity.


Given Ulsters injury problems, not sure it will be a step up compared to Cardiff last weekend


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33976
Location: Pigdogistan
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Do you reckon Joey will be as protected as others in the international squad int terms of limited playing time, or do you reckon he's on a tailored plan which aims to get him as many minutes as possible playing 10?
I think I'd prefer the latter. Barring injuries, he's only going to bench and see reduced gametime in the internationals. He'll only start the USA and maybe Italian AI. Plenty of scope for him to build his minutes with Munster without compromising Ireland.


I’d prefer to see him play as much as possible, especially in a game like this weekends which should be a step up in intensity.


In any interview I've ever heard with a 10 they discuss the importance of minutes in the position in games to settling in and developing that all-round game management.
Ross Byrne was ont he Luke Fitz podcast last week and it was interesting hearing him talk. Granted, it was all about Leinster (more-so than usual), but it was interesting hearing him talk about growing in confidence in his ability and just instinctively knowing what was the right thing to do. The more he plays, the better he plays.

Whatever about the acid reflux I get when I see Joey in red, I think it's massively important to just play him loads this season, with the standard player welfare stuff being relaxed significantly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7588
DOB wrote:
There's always calls for some young lad to be called away from sitting his Leaving to tour the SH. Happened with D'Arcy, I think Staunton too, Luke Fitz. It's not a new phenomenon. It's less frequent nowadays that Ireland are actually good, than back in the 90s when someone could say "even if he hasn't finished school, he can't be worse than Niall feckin Hogan" and be a) serious and b) right.

:lol: so true


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 15622
Fan of Tom Farrell at Connacht.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 55475.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8845, 8846, 8847, 8848, 8849, 8850, 8851 ... 9082  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, Bing [Bot], Birdy, Boobs not Moobs, booji boy, Caley_Red, dargotronV.1, DragsterDriver, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], I like haggis, Jay Cee Gee, J Man, Keith, Kiwias, Lenny, Mullet 2, MungoMan, Petej, Plato'sCave, Rowdy, SamShark, Uthikoloshe, Vicar of Dibley and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group