Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9642, 9643, 9644, 9645, 9646, 9647, 9648 ... 9720  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am 

danthefan wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
apparently Nucifora is going to try and be more active in moving players around provinces when they come out of school.. x(

also he has been slow to approve one of the provinces academy intake.

It'll be fascinating to see who the beneficiaries/losers from this scenario will be.

I wonder will a player ever tell him to fudge off. Would probably sink your career in Ireland but given we have our provincial system it seems mental to just order 18 year olds around the country.

several senior leinster players have told him previously they weren't moving when approached - Ross Byrne, Jack Conan, Andrew Porter to name three that come to mind.

don't think he can order anyone, but will "encourage" or advise players.

I know if he was telling me where I had to go to college and the financial incentive was 8,000 a year, i'd be telling him where to go.

it's no wonder he is persona non grata around UCD.

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Wed May 22, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
apparently Nucifora is going to try and be more active in moving players around provinces when they come out of school.. x(

If he starts trying to move top prospects around, he is wrong. But if he could arrange and create opportunities for guys who are just outside the net and get them places in other provinces Academies with plenty of game time at a club that is willing to develop them, then it can only be a good thing for Irish Rugby. We don't have enough players in Ireland to discard them at 18 and not give them another pathway into professional rugby, because I am not sure the AIL is good enough for that purpose at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am 

danthefan wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

It'll be fascinating to see who the beneficiaries/losers from this scenario will be.

I wonder will a player ever tell him to fudge off. Would probably sink your career in Ireland but given we have our provincial system it seems mental to just order 18 year olds around the country.

Munster.

Connacht are still not given the same respect as the others and Ulster are starting to produce players again in decent numbers, albeit not always in the right positions.

It makes sense - if you ignore the obvious concerns raised by irua - because Munster are struggling hugely and a turnaround there is great for revenue and for rugby.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:00 am 

boringperson12 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

If he starts trying to move top prospects around, he is wrong. But if he could arrange and create opportunities for guys who are just outside the net and get them places in other provinces Academies with plenty of game time at a club that is willing to develop them, then it can only be a good thing for Irish Rugby. We don't have enough players in Ireland to discard them at 18 and not give them another pathway into professional rugby, because I am not sure the AIL is good enough for that purpose at the moment.

don't think that many players are being lost at the moment, plenty of players move to other provinces after u20 level if they fail to make leinster academy.

also AIL is a good alternate path to professional rugby, at least in the top dublin clubs.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:

That's an awful idea.

It will break the connection between player and province, and ultimately between province and fan.

We are not NZ, rugby is still pretty niche in Ireland.

Was Sexton not an AIL player?

anonymous_joe wrote:
danthefan wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Munster.

Connacht are still not given the same respect as the others and Ulster are starting to produce players again in decent numbers, albeit not always in the right positions.

It makes sense - if you ignore the obvious concerns raised by irua - because Munster are struggling hugely and a turnaround there is great for revenue and for rugby.

It was a rhetorical question.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 am 

nardol wrote:
Was Sexton not an AIL player?

By choice, rather than by being overlooked.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 am 

don't think nucifora understands provincial loyalty and pride associated with seeing homegrown players playing for province and fan/player loyalty that endears.

murray k also mentioned in that podcast that he heard that players provincial loyalty was one of nucifora's biggest frustrations with irish rugby.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 am 

We should Captain Boycott him

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:

I prefer the name Lynch.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am 

I can't imagine Nucifora is forcing any 18 year old to move under threat of not being treated fairly if he refuses. I'd also wonder exactly how the approach is made. To be honest, it should really be through the parents or, I would hope, at least in their presence. I know 18 year olds are adults but still.

In terms of it being a good idea, not a brilliant one at all but Ulster/Munster/Connacht are all being diluted by outside signings anyway so if, for example, Nick McCarthy was convinced to go to Munster from school, he'd be further along with his development (more than likely) and would be well bedded in. Is it better overall that he got some Leinster cameos at the higher levels (mostly by dint of not being a NZ/Aus player) and a spattering of games over a few years at the lower level? I suppose you'd have to ask him and I guess that's the point. If it's not being done on a massive scale and there isn't any pressure (just encouragement) then it comes down to the individual player.

In an ideal world all the underage systems would be churning out similar numbers of viable players but they're not so I guess that where Nucifora is coming from. Only Leinster can afford to keep our provincial identity without sacrificing competitiveness.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:27 am 

CM11 wrote:
I can't imagine Nucifora is forcing any 18 year old to move under threat of not being treated fairly if he refuses. I'd also wonder exactly how the approach is made. To be honest, it should really be through the parents or, I would hope, at least in their presence. I know 18 year olds are adults but still.

In terms of it being a good idea, not a brilliant one at all but Ulster/Munster/Connacht are all being diluted by outside signings anyway so if, for example, Nick McCarthy was convinced to go to Munster from school, he'd be further along with his development (more than likely) and would be well bedded in. Is it better overall that he got some Leinster cameos at the higher levels (mostly by dint of not being a NZ/Aus player) and a spattering of games over a few years at the lower level? I suppose you'd have to ask him and I guess that's the point. If it's not being done on a massive scale and there isn't any pressure (just encouragement) then it comes down to the individual player.

In an ideal world all the underage systems would be churning out similar numbers of viable players but they're not so I guess that where Nucifora is coming from. Only Leinster can afford to keep our provincial identity without sacrificing competitiveness.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

I prefer the name Lynch.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am 

danthefan wrote:
Irish Times. Think you might be picking a battle you won't win there Rob.

Quote:
Rob Kearney remains the only Leinster player out of contract next season. The most-decorated Irish rugby player – two Grand Slams, four European titles and a test Lion – remains in negotiations with the IRFU for a national deal.

The Irish Times understands that Kearney will not drop down to a Leinster contract. If talks break down with IRFU performance director David Nucifora, the 33-year-old fullback could join a club in France, England or even Japan.

They also say SOB is on close to 600k euro per season at LI which is just insanity. Who the fudge signed off on that.

LI controlling shareholder is an Ulsterman. Guess he has a soft spot for SOB (and possibly thinks it'll help with crowds etc.) but it seems like mad money alright.

SOB does seem to be respected as a leader too though so it could be also be seen to help drive standards in training.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Are you aware of any pressure being put on 18 year olds by Nucifora? You've already said this:

Quote:

So that's a very odd response.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:34 am 

New Munster jersey is nice, apart from the collar.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 am 

CM11 wrote:

Are you aware of any pressure being put on 18 year olds by Nucifora? You've already said this:

Quote:

If Nucifora is meeting with 18 year olds to encourage them to move province of course they will feel pressure to do so.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 am 

Munster-fogs wrote:
New Munster jersey is nice, apart from the collar.

Great looking jerseys. The away one in particular.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
danthefan wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Munster.

What a clueless dose. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Jumper on Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am 

CM11 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

Its not really possible for Nucs to talk to a player about moving province without there being pressure, even if it was unintentional from Nucs

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:46 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

If Nucifora is meeting with 18 year olds to encourage them to move province of course they will feel pressure to do so.

Negative pressure.

If a player is approached with the idea that they might move quicker up the ranks elsewhere then yes, it's put the player in a situation where they had no decision to make to one where they do and that brings pressure but if there is no negative consequences (from Nucifora/IRFU's POV) then it is a decision that the player can make on its own merits and based on their own view of where they want to be.

Most children in the Leinster system will grow up wanting to play for Leinster. It wouldn't enter their mind to go a different path and most will say no. Some might not and that's their choice.

As I said, I would hope the approaches are with parental involvement so as to dissipate any unintended pressure as per your concerns.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am 

CM11 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

I'm aware of those selecting Provincial and National teams putting pressure on lads to move clubs and colleges. Why would this be any different?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
CM11 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

I'm aware of those selecting Provincial and National teams putting pressure on lads to move clubs and colleges. Why would this be any different?

Within the same location? Not moving province?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
danthefan wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Munster.

You mustn't be reading irishrugbynua's lists. Go back and educate yourself as to which provinces are producing the underage talent in the U18's U20's etc. The clue is it ain't north of Dublin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 am 

sewa wrote:

You mustn't be reading irishrugbynua's lists. Go back and educate yourself as to which provinces are producing the underage talent in the U18's U20's etc. The clue is it ain't north of Dublin

Munster had 5 players in Ireland u18 schools team this easter.
Ulster had 7.

If you include the u18 B team Munster had 7 players.
Ulster had 13.

Munster have a strong u20 group, but below that there is a drop off. Which isn't unexpected.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:59 am 

https://www.pwc.ie/media-centre/press-release/2019/u20s-6-nations-squad-announcement.html

Ireland U20's squad 2019, 40 players
1 Saracens
4 Connacht
7 Ulster
12 Munster

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am 

Ireland against Italy, I could go on all day, whats the point?

Ireland U20s:

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Token/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) (captain)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)

1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD RFC/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Billy Scannell (Young Munster/Munster) *
17. Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster) *
18. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster) *
21. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
22. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster) *
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am 

sewa wrote:
https://www.pwc.ie/media-centre/press-release/2019/u20s-6-nations-squad-announcement.html

1 Saracens
4 Connacht
7 Ulster
12 Munster

But but that only adds up to 24...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am 

sewa wrote:

1 Saracens
4 Connacht
7 Ulster
12 Munster

Extended JWC squad:

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/05/15/ex ... argentina/

Leinster: 14
Munster: 8
Ulster: 7
Connacht: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 am 

sewa wrote:

the point is.. Munster are not miles ahead of Ulster at producing underage talent.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
sewa wrote:

the point is.. Munster are not miles ahead of Ulster at producing underage talent.

Try and read Anonymous Joe's post I replied to again there will ya. Good man

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Quote:

And it won't be just the marginal 18 year old prospects that Nucifora will be meeting.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am 

camroc1 wrote:
And it won't be just the marginal 18 year old prospects that Nucifora will be pressuring.

fixed

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:05 am 

I wonder if Nucifora was involved with Cullen's attempts to poach Munster academy talent, or was it just Cullen identifying the lack of talent at 9 in Leinster.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
hermie wrote:
Fullback is a huge area of concern if Rob pisses off. We've basically Larmour and no one else. And there are still a few question marks over Larmour as a 15 even at that. Has Kelleher played at a lot at 15 for Connacht? He's not much taller than Larmour in any case.

What happened Hugo Keenan? And Barry Daly can play 15 too, no?

Nothing, Keenan was just promoted from academy to senior squad. Daly can too.

potential senior 15 cover next season if Rob leaves:

Dave Kearney(30) - 136 leinster caps, 17 ireland caps
Barry Daly(27) - 36 caps
Robbie Henshaw(26) - 36 leinster caps, 77 connacht caps, 37 ireland caps
Cian Kelleher(25) - 7 leinster caps, 54 connacht caps
Hugo Keenan(23) - 5 caps
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - 7 caps
Jordan Larmour(22) - 38 leinster caps, 13 ireland caps
Ciaran Frawley(21) - 14 caps

winger
winger
centre
winger
winger
centre
winger
outhalf

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am 

hermie wrote:
winger
winger
centre
winger
winger
centre
winger
outhalf

well if your looking for a player whose only position is 15 at leinster, then your only left with Rob Kearney.

Not sure about Kelleher, but every single other player I named there has played 15 this season, apart from Frawley who was due to start there but switched to 10 due to injury.

Kearney - 4 starts at 15
Daly - 2 starts at 15
Henshaw - 1 start at 15
Keenan - 3 starts at 15
O'Brien - 2 starts at 15
Larmour - 9 starts at 15

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

don't think that many players are being lost at the moment, plenty of players move to other provinces after u20 level if they fail to make leinster academy.

also AIL is a good alternate path to professional rugby, at least in the top dublin clubs.

The AIL isn’t a good pathway. Yes the Dublin clubs benefit but there’s rarely any cases of players making the grade from clubs elsewhere. Certainly Ulster struggle and even with Hinch at 1A now they’ll go straight back down, they just wont be able to compete with the top sides even financially and their star players are English championship standard at best

Moving players around straight from school is a stupid idea, however there is an argument to say it could work. For all the good work Nucifora has done I hope that he stops short on that

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 am 

hermie wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
hermie wrote:
Fullback is a huge area of concern if Rob pisses off. We've basically Larmour and no one else. And there are still a few question marks over Larmour as a 15 even at that. Has Kelleher played at a lot at 15 for Connacht? He's not much taller than Larmour in any case.

What happened Hugo Keenan? And Barry Daly can play 15 too, no?

Nothing, Keenan was just promoted from academy to senior squad. Daly can too.

potential senior 15 cover next season if Rob leaves:

Dave Kearney(30) - 136 leinster caps, 17 ireland caps
Barry Daly(27) - 36 caps
Robbie Henshaw(26) - 36 leinster caps, 77 connacht caps, 37 ireland caps
Cian Kelleher(25) - 7 leinster caps, 54 connacht caps
Hugo Keenan(23) - 5 caps
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - 7 caps
Jordan Larmour(22) - 38 leinster caps, 13 ireland caps
Ciaran Frawley(21) - 14 caps

winger
winger
centre
winger
winger
centre
winger
outhalf

Dave Kearney is a FB who moved to wing.

Larmour is a centre who moved to FB, who plays wing when Kearney shunts him out of FB.

The latter has more gametime in the FB position as a professional than wing. Don't forget Kearney started out as a 'wing' too.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am 

Ireland in general doesn't seem to prioritize producing out and out fullbacks these days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9642, 9643, 9644, 9645, 9646, 9647, 9648 ... 9720  Next