Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9782, 9783, 9784, 9785, 9786, 9787, 9788 ... 9804  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:46 pm 

I would have had a look at Bealham as a pure loosehead in the next match up. That Kilcoyne guy is no great shakes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Ulster could be sitting pretty for the start of the season with McGrath, Herring, Mooradze, Murphy & Cooney all available.
And, hopefully, Coetzee.

Coetzee will in all likelihood be going to Japan
Still, a pack of McGrath, Herring, Moore, Carter, Treadwell, Timoney, Nordi, Reidy isn't to be sniffed at in a WC year

Consisting of four Leinstermen, and one each from England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand :blush:

I guess you're right, our pack should be made up of the 20 year old kids coming through the academy now on their own. ideally we'll see debuts for Reid, Allison and McCann, and give Dalton etc some more game time

Would love to see Stewart Moore be given a good run in the team. He's a special player

You should certainly mix and match and at least see if the Academy kids have what it takes.

Correct, some good talent coming through at last, hopefully they live up to at leave provincial potential

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
Ulster could be sitting pretty for the start of the season with McGrath, Herring, Mooradze, Murphy & Cooney all available.
And, hopefully, Coetzee.

Coetzee will in all likelihood be going to Japan
Still, a pack of McGrath, Herring, Moore, Carter, Treadwell, Timoney, Nordi, Reidy isn't to be sniffed at in a WC year

Consisting of four Leinstermen, and one each from England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand :blush:

I guess you're right, our pack should be made up of the 20 year old kids coming through the academy now on their own. ideally we'll see debuts for Reid, Allison and McCann, and give Dalton etc some more game time

Would love to see Stewart Moore be given a good run in the team. He's a special player

You should certainly mix and match and at least see if the Academy kids have what it takes.

I'm sure that there will be a decent amount of it, that's just the likely first choice team from the start of the season though, maybe some of the kids might usurp them though.

The likes of Reid, McCann and Allison have time. We need to find out if Hall, Agnew, Dunleavy have anything about them first. I'd include Dalton in that I suppose but I fear we already know the answer

Jumper wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Haley, Bealham and Cooney cut from squad.

Carbery confirmed at 4 - 6 weeks out.

thats a surprise..

Especially after McGrath's poor performance at the weekend. Hard to understand why Bealham and Cooney were kept around for another week if they weren't going to be given a shot.

Coach wants to keep everyone on their toes by cutting a few every now and then would be my guess.

RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

thats a surprise..

Joe saving Ulster from having Shanahan and Stewart as their scrumhalves. Sickener for Cooney.

To me it looks like Cooney brings a lot of sharpness and variety to the attack. I'd have him a lot higher up the pecking order but Schmidt doesn't seem to be a fan. He must value McGrath's defence higher.

I think Joe must have something very specific against Cooney who is objectively a better passer and kicker than McGrath. Certainly McGrath's defence is excellent, as is his support play and he seems like the kind of character you would want in your squad to boot. But is that enough to have him so far ahead of Cooney to not even want to take a look at the latter? Does Cooney go off script too often or something like that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
The likes of Reid, McCann and Allison have time. We need to find out if Hall, Agnew, Dunleavy have anything about them first. I'd include Dalton in that I suppose but I fear we already know the answer

Yup, I'd be very surprised if we see any of the first three before the Six Nations though there's always a chance. It's make or break time for the latter three, Hall if he can get over the injuries I suspect will make it, Agnew I have no idea but I hope so, Dunleavy I'll say probably not unless there's a massive surprise.

Dalton seemed to start a lot of games in what wasn't a bad team in Australia, but I'm very doubtful as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm 

Cooney is a much better player than McGrath at the moment

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm 

So we're all pretending it doesn't matter now that Ulster aren't producing players for love nor money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
So we're all pretending it doesn't matter now that Ulster aren't producing players for love nor money.

Give it a year or two and we will have at least produced one backrower and two hookers. No locks, maybe 2 props.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Give it a year or two and we will have at least produced one backrower and two hookers. No locks, maybe 2 props.

I've heard it all before

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:59 pm 

hermie wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

thats a surprise..

Joe saving Ulster from having Shanahan and Stewart as their scrumhalves. Sickener for Cooney.

To me it looks like Cooney brings a lot of sharpness and variety to the attack. I'd have him a lot higher up the pecking order but Schmidt doesn't seem to be a fan. He must value McGrath's defence higher.

I think Joe must have something very specific against Cooney who is objectively a better passer and kicker than McGrath. Certainly McGrath's defence is excellent, as is his support play and he seems like the kind of character you would want in your squad to boot. But is that enough to have him so far ahead of Cooney to not even want to take a look at the latter? Does Cooney go off script too often or something like that?

Yeah, there's obviously something there Schmidt doesn't like. He hardly got any time during the 6N when Murray was awful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Where is that happening?

People have been going on about it for a while and it's a fairly indisputable fact that Ulster have been poor at producing forwards for a while now but it does appear to be changing and a number of forwards are coming through

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

They are producing but they wont be internationals right away (if at all)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:03 pm 

Someone's definitely pissed in Mullet's cornflakes this morning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:04 pm 

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Couldn't really care if they never become internationals. Really you need 2, maybe 3, out of every academy class to be in the international squad but if we start producing 5 or 6 every year that are a good HEC standard I wouldn't worry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
In a very disappointing move it appears leinster/irfu have given Roman Salanoa an academy contract for the season, becomes IQ'd after this season: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/academy-pl ... d=RS890020

Obviously not a fan of the move, but there ye go. :thumbdown:

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Leinster Rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Couldn't really care if they never become internationals. Really you need 2, maybe 3, out of every academy class to be in the international squad but if we start producing 5 or 6 every year that are a good HEC standard I wouldn't worry

Well yes obviously but you would want some of them to be challenging for higher honours. The fact that the likes of Kernohan, Lowry, Balacoune , Kane and O'Toole have already big game experience is great but McFarland needs to back it up in the coming seasons and broaden it out to other players.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Fat cvnt still ate them though I'll bet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:14 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
In a very disappointing move it appears leinster/irfu have given Roman Salanoa an academy contract for the season, becomes IQ'd after this season: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/academy-pl ... d=RS890020

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Leinster Rugby.

I dont really care, he shouldnt be in the academy, he isnt good enough by all accounts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:21 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

I dont really care, he shouldnt be in the academy, he isnt good enough by all accounts.

I suppose they're taking a punt on him based on his physical capabilities.

Doesn't sound as if they've passed over someone like Charlie Ward to have Salanoa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Kahuku High School.

fixed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm 

Leinster Rugby U18 Schools Squad – 2019 Interprovincial Championship

Forwards

Prop: Jack Boyle (St Michael’s College)
Prop: Rory McGuire (Blackrock College)
Prop: Jonathan Sargent (Belvedere College)
Prop: Luke McMahon (Clongowes Wood College)
Hooker: Scott Barron (Blackrock College)
Hooker: Freddy Happonen (St Gerard’s College)
Lock: Diarmuid Mangan (Newbridge College)
Lock: Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College)
Lock/Blindside: Cameron Baird (St Michael’s College) - brother of Ryan
Lock/Blindside: Stephen Woods (St Michael’s College)
Openside: Conor Booth (St Michael’s College)
Openside: Eoghan Rutledge (Belvedere College)
Backrow: Donough Lawlor (Newbridge College) - son of Philip
Backrow: David Walsh (Blackrock College)

Backs
Scrumhalf: Fintan Gunne (St Michael’s College) - u17
Scrumhalf: Michael Moloney (Blackrock College)
Outhalf: Eoin Quinn (CBC Monkstown)
Outhalf: Charlie Tector (Kilkenny College)
Centre: Hugo McWade (St Michael’s College)
Centre: Fionn Gibbons (Castleknock College)
Centre: Lucas Berti Newman (Newbridge College)
Outside Back: Shane Mallon (Cistercian College Roscrea)
Outside Back: Dylan O’Grady (Belvedere College)
Outside Back: Zach Harrison (St Michael’s College)
Outside Back: Daniel Hawkshaw (Belvedere College) - brother of David.
Outside Back: Tom Henderson (Blackrock College)

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm 

RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

There's a subtle distinction in that regard alright. Cullen mentioned genetics in the aftermath of the Euro loss this season. Saracens have guys like Skelton, Itoje, the Vunipolas. It's very hard to compete with teams like that if your squad is 100% homegrown. The French sides are totally unscrupulous in this regard. This lad Salanoa will probably struggle to make it but it's inevitable that we would see a little bit of this sort of thing beginning to creep in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm 

Bowens wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Bit of a difference between developing someone who wasn't a rugby player and bringing in star underage players like Knox and More. If Salanoa makes it he'll very much be a product of Kahuku High School.

fixed

Oh and it’s Laie, HI ffs not Lale, HA :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 pm 

Connacht U-18 squad 19/20

Joe Agbo - Galwegians
Fiachra Barrett - Ballina
Blain Barry - Connemara
Michael Broaders - Sligo
John Claffey - Ballinasloe
Eddie Coyle - Sligo
John Devine - Ballinasloe
Matthew Devine - Ballinasloe
Kieran Egan - Buccaneers
Ruairi Fallon - Buccaneers
Deema Feehan - Buccaneers
Sam Fogerty - Buccaneers
Shea Hennessy - Monivea

Darragh Kennedy - Galwegians
Kolo Kiripati - Buccaneers
Mark Mitchell - Buccaneers
Conal Muldoon - Westport
Adam Nash - Buccaneers
Declan O'Loughlin - Corinthians
Kacper Palamarzcuk - Westport
Mark Purcell - Creggs
Zak Rather - Galwegians
Andrew Sherlock - Galwegians
Tom Shine - Buccaneers
Jack Tucker - Creggs
Harry West - Ballina

Last edited by IBWT on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Wrong sort of chap alert.

Did Linfield cancel your season ticket or something? Why must you infest a thread for decent people with your bleatings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

To be fair the lad was aiming for your bird

And I was next in line so I needed the energy

Last edited by Mullet 2 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm 

Lads anyone know were the reduce to 60kph bit is on the M7 , is it still starting at Johnstown?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Leinsters pack during WC: Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Fardy, Deegan, Connors, Doris.

IF Penney is fit do you think Connors will be starting ahead of him? Do you reckon Baird will be fast tracked if so what position do you think he will end up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Lads anyone know were the reduce to 60kph bit is on the M7 , is it still starting at Johnstown?

60?? That can't be right, I've never done 60 on that road

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:
Leinsters pack during WC: Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Fardy, Deegan, Connors, Doris.

IF Penney is fit do you think Connors will be starting ahead of him? Do you reckon Baird will be fast tracked if so what position do you think he will end up?

Penny has had both shoulders operated on. Don't think he will be around for the start of the season. Could see Baird getting a few games at 6 to begin with, while he matures physically.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

i'm sure they will rotate to begin with when Penny is back, not sure, both spots have depth.. only started play 6 at JWC so hard to call right now.. I expect he will be fast-tracked though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Did Linfield cancel your season ticket or something? Why must you infest a thread for decent people with your bleatings.

Yeah that was poor wording. Obviously great if we produce a team full of internationals but we don't need them all to be internationals really, as good as that may be

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 pm 

hermie wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

60?? That can't be right, I've never done 60 on that road

Roadworks going on since 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm 

hermie wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

Penny has had both shoulders operated on. Don't think he will be around for the start of the season. Could see Baird getting a few games at 6 to begin with, while he matures physically.

BOTH shoulders? Christ. Not great for a youngster. Plus side, time on his side for rehab I guess. Not like he's a tackling optional outhalf though.

Or POM, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Yeah that was poor wording. Obviously great if we produce a team full of internationals but we don't need them all to be internationals really, as good as that may be

We all knew what you were trying to say, Mullets just on the blob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 pm 

On the blob, pissing etc.

If this lad saw a pair of chinos he'd probably cut them into shorts and wear them with a bucket hat and fred perry t-shirt.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:07 pm 

hermie wrote:
RichieRich89 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:

There's a subtle distinction in that regard alright. Cullen mentioned genetics in the aftermath of the Euro loss this season. Saracens have guys like Skelton, Itoje, the Vunipolas. It's very hard to compete with teams like that if your squad is 100% homegrown. The French sides are totally unscrupulous in this regard. This lad Salanoa will probably struggle to make it but it's inevitable that we would see a little bit of this sort of thing beginning to creep in.

So what you're saying is... Ulster are actually ahead of the game in world-wide player recruitment :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9782, 9783, 9784, 9785, 9786, 9787, 9788 ... 9804  Next