Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9800, 9801, 9802, 9803, 9804, 9805, 9806 ... 9903  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 pm 

It's mad to see the decline in optimism from beating the AIG Adidas New Zealand team last year to where we are now.

For the record, I think we'll be out in the QF.

Again.

:(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 pm 

It's going to be a tournament to forget for Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
It's going to be a tournament to forget for Ireland.

arent they all?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm 

hermie wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Adetroy wrote:
Fundamentally don’t disagree with any of this. Pretty negative view of Ireland’s World Cup prospects and concerns about future selection. He clearly wants Farrell and Beirne to go, I don’t disagree. Nor do I disagree with his view that the 2015 first team was more gifted than the current first team. Darcy’s point is that it will be the team that ends up playing the fewest back ups in the bigger games that will win the World Cup, in other words those who get lucky with injury. He does acknowledge that Schmidt has done a very good job of creating a genuine squad of players but he seems quite negative about the manner in which teams like South Africa and England have developed and we have gone backwards. I think that we need a huge performance on Saturday because it seems to me that there is a fragility about this Irish squad and they need the reassurance of a very good performance against a powerful England team.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 8?mode=amp

Could you please post the text of that article?
Thanks in advance.

This article is a 1000 word essay on Irish mental fragility. Not one ball has been kicked (apart from our 2/3 team against Italy) and D'arce has already shit the bed. On what basis?

Did you watch the Six Nations? Have you been watching the Rugby Championship?

Yep watched the rugby championship same as every year, all teams look beatable - most open World cup in a long time, 6/7 teams in contention.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:03 pm 

In Joe We Trust :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:04 pm 

Leinster 19s win 17-14.

Tries by Alex Soroka and Jamie Osborne for Leinster.

Both tries for Connacht scored by Shane Jennings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:05 pm 

Interesting that D'Arcy says it'll be Henshaw at 12, presumably he would have a line on this kind of thing.

It'll boil down to whether Schmidt has made everything too prescriptive and overcomplicated or not, and whether we get a bit of luck with injuries and the bounce of the ball.

The first choice pack should have enough big carriers to make yards, as long as they're not futtering about behind the gainline.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 pm 

HT in U18 Men’s Schools Interpro: Ulster 18 Munster 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm 

FT in U18 Men’s Schools Interpro: Ulster 18 Munster 10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm 

hermie wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Adetroy wrote:
Fundamentally don’t disagree with any of this. Pretty negative view of Ireland’s World Cup prospects and concerns about future selection. He clearly wants Farrell and Beirne to go, I don’t disagree. Nor do I disagree with his view that the 2015 first team was more gifted than the current first team. Darcy’s point is that it will be the team that ends up playing the fewest back ups in the bigger games that will win the World Cup, in other words those who get lucky with injury. He does acknowledge that Schmidt has done a very good job of creating a genuine squad of players but he seems quite negative about the manner in which teams like South Africa and England have developed and we have gone backwards. I think that we need a huge performance on Saturday because it seems to me that there is a fragility about this Irish squad and they need the reassurance of a very good performance against a powerful England team.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 8?mode=amp

Could you please post the text of that article?
Thanks in advance.

This article is a 1000 word essay on Irish mental fragility. Not one ball has been kicked (apart from our 2/3 team against Italy) and D'arce has already shit the bed. On what basis?

Did you watch the Six Nations? Have you been watching the Rugby Championship?

Yeah I watched the Six nations. We were dire, just like we were brilliant 3 months before that. What happened? We did less weights, or poorer prep? No, the heads went.

As for the rugby Championship, it's dross mixed with genius in equal measure. Aus are capable of brilliance and being brutal, Arg are as shit as they've been in ages, but more to the point, the ABs are clearly vulnerable and in flux, whereas SA are improving rapidly, but hardly invincible. SA beat an absolutely dire Aus at home and a terrible Argentina away. So what?

If you wanna chuck the towel in now be my guest, but IMO Joe has enough credit in the bank for us to believe that he can get this right...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm 

man the fvck up lads....

we're going to beat SA in the QF ..... and if we don't it'll be because we are playing NZ

SA hold no fear for this Irish squad
If its NZ then the same applies
The 6n dip was off the back of the most successful 15 months in Irish rugby history (how easy people forget)
This is Joe's last hurrah and we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at it
We have bloody good players if we can keep the most important ones on the pitch
We have strength in depth in positions we couldn't have dreamed of previously (TH, SH, OH, Centre, Lock etc)
We are actually only one game away from a world no.1 ranking ffs

the only thing to be down about is Leavy's absence

if we beat England on Saturday the same gloomy voices will be telling everyone that we're going to win the RWC ....... both viewpoints are impostors frankly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
man the fvck up lads....

we're going to beat SA in the QF ..... and if we don't it'll be because we are playing NZ

SA hold no fear for this Irish squad
If its NZ then the same applies
The 6n dip was off the back of the most successful 15 months in Irish rugby history (how easy people forget)
This is Joe's last hurrah and we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at it
We have bloody good players if we can keep the most important ones on the pitch
We have strength in depth in positions we couldn't have dreamed of previously (TH, SH, OH, Centre, Lock etc)
We are actually only one game away from a world no.1 ranking ffs

the only thing to be down about is Leavy's absence

if we beat England on Saturday the same gloomy voices will be telling everyone that we're going to win the RWC ....... both viewpoints are impostors frankly.

Aye no wise up, this team's shot its load.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Interesting that D'Arcy says it'll be Henshaw at 12, presumably he would have a line on this kind of thing.

It'll boil down to whether Schmidt has made everything too prescriptive and overcomplicated or not, and whether we get a bit of luck with injuries and the bounce of the ball.

The first choice pack should have enough big carriers to make yards, as long as they're not futtering about behind the gainline.

Our first choice pack is very good but we still won't bully any of the top teams. I don't expect the gameplan to be all that differently at the RWC, Joe will just look to make subtle improvements to how we already play; which is a possession-based game, relying on powerplays to get breaks/scores and Murray & Sexton to have us playing in the right areas. The problem in the 6Ns was that they didn't so we ended up holding onto the ball in our own half to no great affect. In one way it's knockout rugby when you get it right. On the other hand, has the game moved on to a point where teams like us (and Wales) can no longer get by with not being very good at scoring tries? I suppose the rankings seem to make a lie of that notion but we'll see at the world cup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:47 pm 

We haven't played well since November, not once. That's what we need to focus on, not past world cups, not the 6-nations, not the other contenders.

If we play well and don't choke, and just get beaten by a better team, that's fine. I think that's the mentality we need to go in with. Focus on our own performance and let the story unfold.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm 

hermie wrote:

Our first choice pack is very good but we still won't bully any of the top teams. I don't expect the gameplan to be all that differently at the RWC, Joe will just look to make subtle improvements to how we already play; which is a possession-based game, relying on powerplays to get breaks/scores and Murray & Sexton to have us playing in the right areas. The problem in the 6Ns was that they didn't so we ended up holding onto the ball in our own half to no great affect. In one way it's knockout rugby when you get it right. On the other hand, has the game moved on to a point where teams like us (and Wales) can no longer get with not being very good at scoring tries? I suppose the rankings seem to make a lie of that notion but we'll see at the world cup.

The pack have given the ABs a bullying both times we beat them, particularly in Dublin when we had a load of momentum and they got away with a lot of cynical stuff i the first half.

I think we can still score enough tries with a few of the more powerful forwards and the right backline, we have struggled with getting bogged/slowed down in the opposition 22 when we have had pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:53 pm 

Byrne is your man for The System, zero breaking ability but he makes things tick and has the stones for place kicking.

Carty is a bit more of a wildcard but he has developed a really varied game which is something Ireland have struggled with a bit. He was probably the best player on the pitch in that Connacht Ulster game in the Spring.

Carty has been the best kicking 10 in Ireland this year IIRC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:58 pm 

hermie wrote:

Our first choice pack is very good but we still won't bully any of the top teams. I don't expect the gameplan to be all that differently at the RWC, Joe will just look to make subtle improvements to how we already play; which is a possession-based game, relying on powerplays to get breaks/scores and Murray & Sexton to have us playing in the right areas. The problem in the 6Ns was that they didn't so we ended up holding onto the ball in our own half to no great affect. In one way it's knockout rugby when you get it right. On the other hand, has the game moved on to a point where teams like us (and Wales) can no longer get with not being very good at scoring tries? I suppose the rankings seem to make a lie of that notion but we'll see at the world cup.

The pack have given the ABs a bullying both times we beat them, particularly in Dublin when we had a load of momentum and they got away with a lot of cynical stuff i the first half.

I think we can still score enough tries with a few of the more powerful forwards and the right backline, we have struggled with getting bogged/slowed down in the opposition 22 when we have had pressure.

Indeed....

a pack of Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Toner/Hendo, POM/Stander, Conan & JVDF will frighten the shite out of plenty of teams

if Sexton and Murray manage to reach former heights and can put us in the right places, for Stockdale, Earls and Ringer to exploit, then we can beat anyone

the negativity is totally unwarranted .....

we have more chance of winning the RWC than Arg or Scotland
we have as much of a chance of winning the damn thing as Wales, England, Aus or SA
we are only really behind NZ in the pecking order

its all to play for and andy of the top 6 could win it ..... including Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 pm 

irishrugbyua wrote:
Leinster 19s win 17-14.

Tries by Alex Soroka and Jamie Osborne for Leinster.

Both tries for Connacht scored by Shane Jennings.

Need to check his birth cert.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Byrne is your man for The System, zero breaking ability but he makes things tick and has the stones for place kicking.

Carty is a bit more of a wildcard but he has developed a really varied game which is something Ireland have struggled with a bit. He was probably the best player on the pitch in that Connacht Ulster game in the Spring.

Carty has been the best kicking 10 in Ireland this year IIRC.

off the tee maybe ....

Ross Byrne is a better cross field kicker though, and better at driving a team up the pitch generally I think.

I was at the Leinster Connacht game last December and Carty was absolutely sublime in creating his own and Caolin Blades tries. It was noticeable however that Connacht lost that game after being 17 points up with about 10 minutes left on the clock.

Carty didn't shut that game down when he needed to I reckon, while Byrne quarter-backed Leinster up the pitch on 3 occasions to absolutely rob Connacht of what looked like being an historic win.

Army, when Leinster got the penno to put you guys out of Europe this year, there was no doubt in my mind that Byrne would kick it .... even on one leg. I certainly wouldn't have been as confident if it had been Carty

Theres nothing in it between them I reckon and its just a question of what Joe wants ..... game breaker or follow the plan to the letter.

Lets see how saturday goes ... hopefully the both get game time and they both give england the runaround, in their different ways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 pm 

Give it a shagging rest with the cross field kick stuff - you'd swear it was our primary method of attack.

Accuracy off the tee is more likely to win you games than the occasional cross field ball to 5ft3 Earls......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm 

But but but cross field kicks to adam byrne?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:45 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Not sure if that’s true, but it seems crazy that Ross Byrne can’t be trusted with 20 minutes in an AI, but can be parachuted into the team for an away match in Twickenham for his first start a month before the RWC.

Anyway, hopefully they will pick a decent cross kick catcher like Conway on one of the wings to compliment Byrne’s excellent cross kicking if Byrne is being given his chance.

Would be excited to see Carty or R Byrne start on Sat, at the end of the day the match mean f*ck all so would be great test for both. Ross has started in alot of big games for Leisnter.
What would be the biggest game Carty has started in, wasn't it the Yank who started when Connacht won the Pro 14?

100%
What better chance can there be to find who will best replace Johnny as his body breaks down?
If Carberry turns out to be a sick note, we need to blood the possible next 10s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:45 pm 

HT @UL: Leinster Clubs 19 Connacht Clubs 12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 pm 

The Indo have a full team now

Quote:
Possible Ireland team (to play England on Saturday) – R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; R Byrne, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; J Kleyn, D Toner; P O'Mahony, J Van der Flier, CJ Stander.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 pm 

Anyone else look at that team and think, jesus, thats a boring looking team?
Take out Ringrose, Stockdale and Murray (if he’s decided not to play like a spacker) and there is zero attacking flair on show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 pm 

Put James Ryan, Conan and Sexton into that team and I’d be happy with that lineup for Scotland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Take out Ringrose, Stockdale and Murray (if he’s decided not to play like a spacker) and there is zero attacking flair on show.

Earl's is irelands best attacker, has been for years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:30 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
But but but cross field kicks to adam byrne?

Not just Adam Byrne ..... McFadden, Daverage, ROL and Isa too :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKwEFiX-R1U
https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 7423364096
https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 2645491712
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1943605645757034

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 pm 

hermie wrote:
diarm wrote:
tiddle wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Left wing podcast made a good point about the beirne v. Kleyn squad place debate.....

The attributes that Kleyn supporters are honing in on (bigger man, better scrummager, hits more rucks etc), would only really come into play if he’s used against Scotland, SA or New Zealand .... which he won’t be if any two of toner, Ryan and hendo are available

Would be much better then for the 30th or 31st man to be someone that gives bench impact or who can do something special ..... like Beirne. The fact that beirne is actually Irish would be the clincher too ....

What if one of toner,ryan or hendo gets injured v samoa? Better to have their replacement there and ready than to fly them out during the week of a crucial QF had have them half ready for it

What if we bring Kleyn and Beirne?

Healy, Killer, Furlong, Ryan, Porter
Best, Cronin, Scannell
Toner, Ryan, Henderson, Kleyn
O'Mahony, Beirne, VdFlier, (Ruddock/Murphy), Stander, Conan

Murray, Marmion
Sexton, Carberry, (Carty/Byrne)
Henshaw, Aki, Ringrose
Stockdale, Earls, Conway
Kearney, Larmour

Means Farrell missing out in the centre which is harsh and will leave a few of the backs playing a lot of minutes but it give us a lot of options in the pack.

Richie Murphy intimated this morning that it would probably be a 17/14 split unlike what you have above.

So it's likely that both Farrell and Conway travel (or Addison ahead of one if he has a couple of big performance between then and now) and only one of Kleyn and Beirne. Close calls whichever way you look at it.

Would he though? Both O'Driscoll and O'Gara were clear on Off the Ball at the weekend that they have absolutely no line on Joes and the teams thinking going into the world cup. Said everything has been kept very close to the chest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:39 pm 

FT: Leinster Clubs 19 Connacht Clubs 12

Tries from Conor Duffy, Aitzol King and Jack Hanlon

Last edited by irishrugbyua on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:57 pm 

sewa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

There lies the problem
Grand slam he was player of the tournament for me
Years have caught up with him now, he's done

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:00 pm 

Winnie wrote:
sewa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

There lies the problem

Vintage PR :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:09 pm 

Ross Byrne :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:09 pm 

This thread is depressing anyway. I was surprised to read what D'Arcy wrote... very very negative. People tend to forget 2018 very quickly. Unless your NZ, all teams go through these periods where they take a dip in form, but who is to say we won't bounce back? I don't get the negativity at all when we've barely seen anything from Ireland since the Six Nations...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:14 pm 

Winnie wrote:
sewa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

There lies the problem

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 pm 

diarm wrote:
Winnie wrote:
sewa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

There lies the problem

That's just about one of the dumbest things ever posted on here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:17 pm 

TBF, what good attacking play have you seen Keet do in the last couple of months? Well??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:20 pm 

Keith Earls is a spoofer along with the rest of them *spit lads

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

bw245 wrote:
This thread is depressing anyway. I was surprised to read what D'Arcy wrote... very very negative. People tend to forget 2018 very quickly. Unless your NZ, all teams go through these periods where they take a dip in form, but who is to say we won't bounce back? I don't get the negativity at all when we've barely seen anything from Ireland since the Six Nations...

Some negativity is understandable, given how poor the 6N performance was. And if we play at the RWC like we did in Lansdowne in Feb/March, we’ll be laughed out the gate, and rightly so.

But if we play in Japan like we did last November, we’ll go a long way in the tournament. And November is only 9 months ago.

I don’t mind the negativity, as long as it’s in context. We’ll send a very strong starting XV out in the first match, and if they play as well as they’re capable of, they’ll win. If they play as badly as they’re capable of, they’ll lose. If lessons have been learned from last season, we’ll do well; if the team sticks to whatever tactics existed in the England game last year, we’ll do awful. But we don’t know yet if this Ireland team will be like the 2007 damp squibs, or the 2011 blast-out-of-the-gates, or the 2015 Pool-stage Pyrrhic victories followed by the traditional ignominious qf dumping.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 pm 

diarm wrote:
Winnie wrote:
sewa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

There lies the problem

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9800, 9801, 9802, 9803, 9804, 9805, 9806 ... 9903  Next