Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10143, 10144, 10145, 10146, 10147, 10148, 10149 ... 10205  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
What channels are the Heineken cup games on.

4 and BT sports.

Thanks for that, reason I asked is because one of the Virgin tv channels seemed to be saying they had it.
Might have been just an add for the cup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:32 pm 

hermie wrote:
Winnie wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
Can someone tell me what has happened to Stockdale? Form has just dropped off a cliff recently.

He certainly looks like his confidence is shot to ribbons
We have to remember he’s still a relatively young guy and came from nowhere to be propelled as one of the great Irish wingers in the last twelve months
Hopefully he can get his confidence back
Perhaps a little break from rugby might do him some good

Could be similar to Trimble. A freakishly talented player when he arrived on the scene but a slight dip in form and cracks started to appear in his confidence. He went away, worked on his all round game and came back very strongly indeed.

Hickie was the same, was brillant in his first couple of years then had that horror show against Terblanche, had a few fallow years but came back a much better player.
Stockdale also had a horror show in the Pro 12 semi final against Glasgow, he reminds me of Adam Bryne in defence. He is well able to tackle but makes so many poor decisons. He seems to panic and just needs a cooler head in defence. He needs to make the attacker make a decision, he just makes it easy for them currently.
A year ago Stockdale would have been rated much higher than Josh Adams who both broke onto the scene around the same time. Josh adams is now probally at least equal in attack but much more rounded in the other areas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 pm 

hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
Hard to account for somebody stomping on your foot in training and breaking it. I love how this is now a stick to beat him with!

I think Conan is a great player and would love to see him play for Ireland but he seems to get an injury every time an opportunity arises for him to break into the team. Not much use being the coming man if all that comes is physio time.

He'd be hard pressed to be more injury prone than SOB but Seanie was around for a lot of good days in Irish rugby. Sure we even got a GS out of Ferris. It's bad enough for these lads to have to endure these layoffs without having to be labelled as too injury-prone to persist with. It's ridiculous.

You Leinster lads are gas- no problem taking the piss out of Irish players from other provinces but as soon as one of the boys in blue gets any bit of a critique it's fears about their mental health arising from labelling. I can see why you set up the Leinster rugby safe space thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
Hard to account for somebody stomping on your foot in training and breaking it. I love how this is now a stick to beat him with!

I think Conan is a great player and would love to see him play for Ireland but he seems to get an injury every time an opportunity arises for him to break into the team. Not much use being the coming man if all that comes is physio time.

He'd be hard pressed to be more injury prone than SOB but Seanie was around for a lot of good days in Irish rugby. Sure we even got a GS out of Ferris. It's bad enough for these lads to have to endure these layoffs without having to be labelled as too injury-prone to persist with. It's ridiculous.

Conan is nowhere near SOB or Ferris in terms of ability, power or anything rugby related. :|

Where did I say he was :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:44 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

4 and BT sports.

Thanks for that, reason I asked is because one of the Virgin tv channels seemed to be saying they had it.

Virgin Media One are showing the Ulster Bath game but don't seem to be showing any of the others. Think they have rights to 9 live games so presumably one a weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

You Leinster lads are gas- no problem taking the piss out of Irish players from other provinces but as soon as one of the boys in blue gets any bit of a critique it's fears about their mental health arising from labelling. I can see why you set up the Leinster rugby safe space thread.

Patently untrue. We take the piss out of Daverage all the time!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:49 pm 

hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

Poor Dave went to school in Clongowes and is from a marginal county- of course he'd be a target for your opprobrium!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

4 and BT sports.

Balls I’ve eir with the broadband. Obviously had bt last year. I’ll have to add bt sports. Any idea how much that costs to the sky package lads. Already have sky sports so I’ll probably just get rid of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:57 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

Nobody is more needy than a Munster supporter.
Barring for the most part the ones that actually go to the odd match, and then there's the sons of culchie Lunsters.
Anyhow Virgin tv have Ulster away to Barf and Leinster away to Saints.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

4 and BT sports.

Balls I’ve eir with the broadband. Obviously had bt last year. I’ll have to add bt sports. Any idea how much that costs to the sky package lads. Already have sky sports so I’ll probably just get rid of that.

As I posted later, Virgin seem to Have a few Irish team away games

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:15 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

When? The time someone stomped on his foot doesn't count. Now if you'd said Ruddock you'd have had a point. He was in flying form in 13/14 & 14/15 but missed a lot of both seasons for injury. He came back from a broken arm for a tour in Romania and broke the arm again. Eventually made it out ot the RWC and benched vs Argentina.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:21 pm 

paddyor wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

When? The time someone stomped on his foot doesn't count. Now if you'd said Ruddock you'd have had a point. He was in flying form in 13/14 & 14/15 but missed a lot of both seasons for injury. He came back from a broken arm for a tour in Romania and broke the arm again. Eventually made it out ot the RWC and benched vs Argentina.

1 minute of google shows

[url]https://www.ultimaterugby.com/jack-conan
[/url]

Quote:
Conan made his international debut for Ireland in August 2015, he had announced himself by scoring a try minutes into his Leinster debut two years previous.

He was then ravaged by injury, only completing 80 minutes four times for the province last season after 10 weeks on the sideline with a broken foot and then a further three months out with an ankle complaint. In between this he won man of the match in February 2016 - away to Cardiff Blues in the Pro 12, setting up Nacewa for a game clinching score, further highlighting his potential.

After returning to full fitness during pre-season, Conan’s injury nightmare continued into this season as he was forced to undergo ankle surgery after sustaining a problem in a friendly win over Gloucester at Tallaght Stadium.

After biding his time and proving himself in a couple of Leinster A fixtures, Conan played against Connacht at the RDS, as he made his first start at the RDS for over a year.

Further long term injuries in 2018 and the most recent one which has him out for another whack of months. Hell of player but not one you could call robust or reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:27 pm 

hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

You mean the excellent Dave Kearney? On the no nothings list for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 pm 

I don't. Dave is a ledgebag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

4 and BT sports.

As I posted later, Virgin seem to Have a few Irish team away games

Sound. I’ll be at the home games at least. Bts coverage grates on me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:37 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

1 minute of google shows

Quote:
Conan made his international debut for Ireland in August 2015, he had announced himself by scoring a try minutes into his Leinster debut two years previous.

He was then ravaged by injury, only completing 80 minutes four times for the province last season after 10 weeks on the sideline with a broken foot and then a further three months out with an ankle complaint. In between this he won man of the match in February 2016 - away to Cardiff Blues in the Pro 12, setting up Nacewa for a game clinching score, further highlighting his potential.

After returning to full fitness during pre-season, Conan’s injury nightmare continued into this season as he was forced to undergo ankle surgery after sustaining a problem in a friendly win over Gloucester at Tallaght Stadium.

After biding his time and proving himself in a couple of Leinster A fixtures, Conan played against Connacht at the RDS, as he made his first start at the RDS for over a year.

Further long term injuries in 2018 and the most recent one which has him out for another whack of months. Hell of player but not one you could call robust or reliable.

He was behind Heaslip at that stage so it's a stretch to say he missed his chance in 2015. Realistically there wasn't really an oppportunity for him top break into the team until 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:55 pm 

hermie wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
hermie wrote:

Conan's feet and ankles do seem to be made of chocolate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 pm 

Connacht have signed Will Goddard, Irish qualified Aussie back 3 player as short term injury cover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:03 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Connacht have signed Will Goddard, Irish qualified Aussie back 3 player as short term injury cover

That'll help the tight five. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:04 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

Peter McCabe signed as well

Need a lock though, badly

SOB 2.0 out for the season :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:06 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

What?? That's dreadful for the guy.
What was the injury? Didn't see the match, just saw the outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:38 pm 

Dislocated his shoulder 1 minute after coming on

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

Essentially a 3 month trial for the player so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm 

Not sure if RR but Leinster have made the 5 swaps (which can later be swapped back) to their Euro squad. Penny, Baird, Frawley, Cian Kelleher and Bryan Byrne coming in for Leavy, Conan, Ferg, Daly and Vakh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:44 pm 

I wonder how Joe Finnegan is getting on with Banbridge after returning to rugby? He seemed a real prospect at school.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 pm 

hermie wrote:
Not sure if RR but Leinster have made the 5 swaps (which can later be swapped back) to their Euro squad. Penny, Baird, Frawley, Cian Kelleher and Bryan Byrne coming in for Leavy, Conan, Ferg, Daly and Vakh.

Is Connors in the squad?
It's good to see Penny and Frawley added anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm 

Yeah I think Connors was already in the squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm 

Strongly arguable at this stage porter that say jed Holloway should be approached to shift west for 3 months. (Although I’m not sure when he’s back with the waratahs). I remain convinced he was got as cheap injury cover assuming injury to one of pom/kleyn/cj/beirne at the rwc. Thankfully not needed. In my opinion never was. Would make sense all round in my opinion. Otherwise someone like Sean o Connor in bad need of minutes should make the move

Thankfully the Harry byrne story sounds like cummiskey flying a kite. But there are definitely times when the provinces should help each other out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:15 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:

What age and what is his pedigree?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:50 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

He's a chap who failed to make the Australian U20 squad and is now exploring his Irish heritage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:30 pm 

Porterbelly1 wrote:
Dislocated his shoulder 1 minute after coming on

Christ. Poor guy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Strongly arguable at this stage porter that say jed Holloway should be approached to shift west for 3 months. (Although I’m not sure when he’s back with the waratahs). I remain convinced he was got as cheap injury cover assuming injury to one of pom/kleyn/cj/beirne at the rwc. Thankfully not needed. In my opinion never was. Would make sense all round in my opinion. Otherwise someone like Sean o Connor in bad need of minutes should make the move

Thankfully the Harry byrne story sounds like cummiskey flying a kite. But there are definitely times when the provinces should help each other out.

Someone like Matthew Dalton could be sent to Connacht. Obviously no longer rated at Ulster, perhaps a change of scenery could be the break he needs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 pm 

themaddog wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:

He's a chap who failed to make the Australian U20 squad and is now exploring his Irish heritage.

Whatever about him has any efforts been made to get the very decent McDonald scrumhalf lad over from the land of oz. Born raised here moved at 16.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 pm 

boringperson12 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

Someone like Matthew Dalton could be sent to Connacht. Obviously no longer rated at Ulster, perhaps a change of scenery could be the break he needs.

Irish rugby is littered with guys who just needed a breakthrough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

Irish rugby is littered with guys who just needed a breakthrough.

And Dalton is not one of them.

Would expect him to move to a championship side sometime in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 pm 

boringperson12 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

They rated him enough to send him to Oz over summer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:

They rated him enough to send him to Oz over summer

A last ditch effort I reckon to get something from a guy with some impressive tools but just doesn't have the game to make himself useful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:35 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Hey guys, remember when that Special Needs case Jumper wasn't around during the RWC?

The targeting of Jumper is now multi-reported and, frankly, beyond the pale.

Please rein it in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 pm 

Multi reported or multi-reported?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 pm 

Been away for a few weeks and been catching up on the last few weeks games on Across the Tasman.

A few thoughts from an Irish perspective:

Props: It's Leinster plus Killer. Serious display from Porter against Connacht, will be putting pressure on Furlong if he keeps up this form.

Hooker: Let's be honest neither Herring or Cronin will ever be tier 1 international standard. Need someone to come through and that man might be Kelleher. Great ball carrying, offloading and grunt in the tackle. A few wayward lineouts are a bit of a worry, but that will hopefully come with experience.

Second Row: Great to see Baird get some game time for Leinster and he didn't look out of place. Young Fineen is great for Munster always involved and leads the line speed from 1-80. He will always be too short for an international lock, but could develop int a serious 6.

Back Row: Feck me Will Connors is a tackling machine, very impressive. An Irish Dan Lydiate. Was really hoping to be more impressed by Deegan, Doris and Penny, the latter showed nice hands but has some bulking to do. Shame about SOB2.0.

Scrum Half: ... Really wanted to be impressed by Blade, but really haven't been. Looks like McGrath, Cooney and Murray fighting it out still. Hopefully Murray can find some form until Casey comes through.

Out Half: Exciting times. Harry Byrne has the potential to be the future, Ross is a very handy player and JJ looking like the player we all hoped he would be. Enough to be cheerful about post Sexton.

Centre: Plenty of strong performances with no one taking games by the scruff of the neck a la COB last year. Farrell could be worth a look and good to see Marshall back fit. Goggin looked decent for Munster and great to see Scannell really showing up with the best centre performance across the last couple of weeks. Would love to see more of COB.

Wings: Flush with options. Lowe, last years Stockdale and Conway could be a really dangerous back 3. Reckon Shane Daly has something about him as do Lyttle and Baloucoune. Daverage showing he's still got it.

Full Back: My list of players who are now better than Kearney in no particular order. JOB, Daly, Keenan, Conway, Larmour. Very little point in Faddes and Haley who are just blocking the pathway for young talent, would be disappointed if either start at the weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10143, 10144, 10145, 10146, 10147, 10148, 10149 ... 10205  Next