Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10144, 10145, 10146, 10147, 10148, 10149, 10150 ... 10208  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:32 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Hey guys, remember when that Special Needs case Jumper wasn't around during the RWC?

The targeting of Jumper is now multi-reported and, frankly, beyond the pale.

Please rein it in.

“Targetting” Jumper? Every time he posts he has a great big red Bullseye on it. The only options are a) ignore or b) tell him he’s full of shit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:32 pm 

nabanoba wrote:
Been away for a few weeks and been catching up on the last few weeks games on Across the Tasman.

A few thoughts from an Irish perspective:

Props: It's Leinster plus Killer. Serious display from Porter against Connacht, will be putting pressure on Furlong if he keeps up this form.

Hooker: Let's be honest neither Herring or Cronin will ever be tier 1 international standard. Need someone to come through and that man might be Kelleher. Great ball carrying, offloading and grunt in the tackle. A few wayward lineouts are a bit of a worry, but that will hopefully come with experience.

Second Row: Great to see Baird get some game time for Leinster and he didn't look out of place. Young Fineen is great for Munster always involved and leads the line speed from 1-80. He will always be too short for an international lock, but could develop int a serious 6.

Back Row: Feck me Will Connors is a tackling machine, very impressive. An Irish Dan Lydiate. Was really hoping to be more impressed by Deegan, Doris and Penny, the latter showed nice hands but has some bulking to do. Shame about SOB2.0.

Scrum Half: ... Really wanted to be impressed by Blade, but really haven't been. Looks like McGrath, Cooney and Murray fighting it out still. Hopefully Murray can find some form until Casey comes through.

Out Half: Exciting times. Harry Byrne has the potential to be the future, Ross is a very handy player and JJ looking like the player we all hoped he would be. Enough to be cheerful about post Sexton.

Centre: Plenty of strong performances with no one taking games by the scruff of the neck a la COB last year. Farrell could be worth a look and good to see Marshall back fit. Goggin looked decent for Munster and great to see Scannell really showing up with the best centre performance across the last couple of weeks. Would love to see more of COB.

Wings: Flush with options. Lowe, last years Stockdale and Conway could be a really dangerous back 3. Reckon Shane Daly has something about him as do Lyttle and Baloucoune. Daverage showing he's still got it.

Full Back: My list of players who are now better than Kearney in no particular order. JOB, Daly, Keenan, Conway, Larmour. Very little point in Faddes and Haley who are just blocking the pathway for young talent, would be disappointed if either start at the weekend.

What a really positive post
What sort of witchcraft is this on this thread?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 pm 

DOB wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Hey guys, remember when that Special Needs case Jumper wasn't around during the RWC?

Please rein it in.

“Targetting” Jumper? Every time he posts he has a great big red Bullseye on it. The only options are a) ignore or b) tell him he’s full of shit.

I would have thought there was only one option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 pm 

Winnie wrote:
nabanoba wrote:
Been away for a few weeks and been catching up on the last few weeks games on Across the Tasman.

A few thoughts from an Irish perspective:

Props: It's Leinster plus Killer. Serious display from Porter against Connacht, will be putting pressure on Furlong if he keeps up this form.

Hooker: Let's be honest neither Herring or Cronin will ever be tier 1 international standard. Need someone to come through and that man might be Kelleher. Great ball carrying, offloading and grunt in the tackle. A few wayward lineouts are a bit of a worry, but that will hopefully come with experience.

Second Row: Great to see Baird get some game time for Leinster and he didn't look out of place. Young Fineen is great for Munster always involved and leads the line speed from 1-80. He will always be too short for an international lock, but could develop int a serious 6.

Back Row: Feck me Will Connors is a tackling machine, very impressive. An Irish Dan Lydiate. Was really hoping to be more impressed by Deegan, Doris and Penny, the latter showed nice hands but has some bulking to do. Shame about SOB2.0.

Scrum Half: ... Really wanted to be impressed by Blade, but really haven't been. Looks like McGrath, Cooney and Murray fighting it out still. Hopefully Murray can find some form until Casey comes through.

Out Half: Exciting times. Harry Byrne has the potential to be the future, Ross is a very handy player and JJ looking like the player we all hoped he would be. Enough to be cheerful about post Sexton.

Centre: Plenty of strong performances with no one taking games by the scruff of the neck a la COB last year. Farrell could be worth a look and good to see Marshall back fit. Goggin looked decent for Munster and great to see Scannell really showing up with the best centre performance across the last couple of weeks. Would love to see more of COB.

Wings: Flush with options. Lowe, last years Stockdale and Conway could be a really dangerous back 3. Reckon Shane Daly has something about him as do Lyttle and Baloucoune. Daverage showing he's still got it.

Full Back: My list of players who are now better than Kearney in no particular order. JOB, Daly, Keenan, Conway, Larmour. Very little point in Faddes and Haley who are just blocking the pathway for young talent, would be disappointed if either start at the weekend.

What a really positive post
What sort of witchcraft is this on this thread?!

:smug: I'm just a humble guy who loves Irish rugby.

Also trying to clutch at some green shoots after the World Cup

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 am 

CM11 wrote:
DOB wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Please rein it in.

And I do try very hard to take that one at all times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:08 am 

DOB wrote:
CM11 wrote:
DOB wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Please rein it in.

And I do try very hard to take that one at all times.

By starting with the ignore function?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:18 am 

Don't waste any more of the page on Sappy or Jumper or whatever.

Is Sweetnam fit for this weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:59 am 

Floppykid wrote:

Sweets out. Cloete out killer out. Beirne unlikely it seems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 am 

Anyone seen the cobus wiese sarries rumour on ultimate rugby. 5 year poaching contract.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:10 am 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Anyone seen the cobus wiese sarries rumour on ultimate rugby. 5 year poaching contract.

You mean the one on page one of the bored?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92366&view=unread#unread

Cryptically named, in true PR fashion, of course.

Still haven't established if he's related to the 90's Bok lock/abominable snowman.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 am 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

It's only the Ospreys isn't it?

Last edited by danthefan on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:44 am 

double

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am 

danthefan wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

It's on the Ospreys isn't it?

On in Swansea yeah. Big question is whether the welsh internationals are back

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:58 am 

ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Please rein it in.

The absolute state of that. Get a grip

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 am 

DOB wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Please rein it in.

Reported :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am 

Be good for the pro14 if frans stern returning to the cheetahs as reported. Better the saffer teams (more names) are the more serious it’ll be taken over there

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 pm 

Hello Swarm- had the huge honour of an interview with your spiritual leader y'day....what a top man in RL too.

https://www.planetrugby.com/exclusive-b ... mpions-cup

Quote:
As rugby connoisseurs finish digesting their feast of the action in Japan, Planet Rugby caught up with Ireland legend Brian O’Driscoll, to examine the offerings of the European Champions Cup that commences this weekend.

From Tokyo to Thomond

“It’s hard to describe the mixed reactions when players suddenly switch from their World Cup aspirations to domestic rugby in the Champions Cup,” noted O’Driscoll.

“Many have asked, what will be the motivation and the emotion of the players, coming off a really tough eight weeks in Japan, only to face another mountain of rugby in group stages in Europe?

“This really depends on the individual; the Home and European Unions all shared mixed results, some good, some bad, but it’s safe to say not one side really hit the aspiration they had; even England will be disappointed with where they finished and I’m aware both the Scots and my Irish colleagues will see their performance as below expectations.

“For the elder statesmen, their frustrations may be one of ‘it was my last chance’ and, as a result, they’ll want to put their energy into winning silverware in Europe as they’re aware time is running out in their careers.

“For the young guns, whilst they’ll carry the burden longer, they’ll also be champing at the bit to return to play, wanting to prove a point and wishing to take their learning from Japan into the domestic season ahead, further putting a marker down for their continued career progression.

“In short, most will be highly motivated but for different reasons; yes, there will be a few that want to put their feet up and equally, there will be those that have niggles and workload fatigue, but in general, I think the below par returns from most of the nations will energise their performances in Europe,” confirmed the Irishman.

Timing

“I think it’s fair to say that we’ll see the intent of law amelioration that we saw at the World Cup taken into Europe and it’ll be fascinating to see how the officials and players react.

“I am of a mindset that we’re about in the right place regarding collisions. I’ve always craved the gladiatorial moments in the game, the massive hit, the huge tackles and we have to balance player welfare with the fact rugby IS a collision sport. Remove that from the game and you lose our most compelling USP, that of the thrill of the moment, the ooooh and the ahhhh as someone makes a breathtaking hit on an almost unstoppable carry.

“What I don’t want to see is another incident where a player lines up someone with a reckless no-arms charge from 20 metres as we saw in the Samoa v Russia game; that was almost out of control at one point and incidents like that need outlawing.

“We’re now at the point where timing and skill are overcoming brute strength as the key factor in defending. I always look at my old pal Jonny Wilkinson as the best pound for pound tackler I’ve ever seen; his hits were based upon absolute awareness, concentration and above all, timing. When you get players like him executing well, focusing on technical superiority at the moment of contact, then we know the game is going in the right direction and we’ve gotten to the point where the balance between crowd thrill, match aggression and player welfare is working well.

Runners and riders

“Looking forward to the Champions Cup, the parallel with the Rugby World Cup remains, with group qualification key.

“The recipe for progression is simple; win all your home games, win one on the road and, assuming a couple of try bonus-points, you’ll move forward to the knockout stages. I like to call it the Munster model,” chuckled O’Driscoll.

“Victories away from home are rare and it will get tough in terms of schedule. Player welfare and squad depth will be telling, with three consecutive double-headers in November, December and January, before normal service resumes after the Six Nations.

“Aside from Pool 4, another ‘pool of death’, the groups look pretty well balanced. Moving into the weekend, Pool 1 is also set up for some royal battles; Leinster, Lyon and Saints take some pretty serious early-season form with them and I see them progressing well, all three playing some really neat and expansive rugby and it’ll be fascinating to see how the tussles between those sides unfold.

“In Pool 5 I rather fancy Toulouse to go a long way; they’ve got 12 World Cup players returned and often, away from the arm-wrestle of Top 14, play with more freedom than we see in their domestic league. Despite the challenge of Montpellier in their group, they have a decent chance of wins on the road at Kingsholm or in Galway.

“Pool 3 shows us that last year’s form means little, with both Quins and Bath struggling to find their feet this season; Ulster will be driven by desire from some of their elder statesmen and with Clermont always a threat, I see some English casualties in this grouping,” noted the former Lions skipper.

“Exeter Chiefs have really failed to ‘get over the line’ on a number of occasions now, and Rob Baxter’s recent frustrations will mean they’ll be nervy going into a massive fixture away at the consistent La Rochelle. Both sides will benefit from some World Cup returnees but again this group is a really tight one to call.

“Returning to Pool 4 and my game of the round; Saracens’ trip to Racing 92 will be a crackerjack. The battle of the big spenders! There’s a lot of noise around the recent Saracens revelations, underpinned by Baxter’s observations that Sarries have actually admitted they go seeking legal loopholes to exploit, something I find quite concerning. There’s a lot of angry people within the club itself but Europe is a competition free of the Gallagher Premiership Salary Cap and I expect the Londoners to explode onto the pitch to prove a point in Paris in what will be a gladiatorial battle.

“Post World Cup, Europe now becomes the shop window of the game for the next few months and I’m pleased to say that the products on offer are really compelling. I’m really looking forward to these matches and will hope to catch you on BT Sport to share my views and listen to yours.”

We thank Brian for his time and wish him and Leinster well in the forthcoming weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 pm 

Gats was on Off the Ball last night. He was asked which Irish players, over the course of his year coaching the Lions, had impressed him the most. He immediately said Brian O'Driscoll 2009. Of course he had given Dricco his first cap but was amazed at the transformation (in spite of all the plaudits etc) 10 years later. What a player he was, his knowledge of the game (both in attack and defence) and so forth. Must have been tough for him to tell him he was dropped for the first time in his career 4 years later but there you go. Still pretty angry he didn't win World Player of the Year that year :x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:31 pm 

Here was me all excited it was Girve only to have my hopes dashed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm 

I hear you’re all bullying jumper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

He's entitled to be a thick cúnt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:54 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

Just trying to figure out why a (shitty) factual statement about a poster which points towards something sinister is seen as something which warrants a 2 week ban, but the same moderation team see no issue with multilple on multiple occassions instructing someone to harm/kill themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:55 pm 

Our Lady and St Patrick's College became the first Catholic Grammar school to enter and play Schools Cup Rugby in Ulster yesterday.

Group of students said they wanted to play and the PE teacher worked with Ulster Branch for the past 3 years to get coaches etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:58 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Our Lady and St Patrick's College became the first Catholic Grammar school to enter and play Schools Cup Rugby in Ulster yesterday.

Group of students said they wanted to play and the PE teacher worked with Ulster Branch for the past 3 years to get coaches etc.

You Prods are fúcked now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:

Good news story

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:06 pm 

Once our superior genetics take over ulster will be the next powerhouse. Imagine if we had gotten Sean cavanagh to play with an oval ball

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Once our superior genetics take over ulster will be the next powerhouse. Imagine if we had gotten Sean cavanagh to play with an oval ball

Coulda been Ulster's Sexton I've said before.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:48 pm 

Jake wrote:
Hello Swarm- had the huge honour of an interview with your spiritual leader y'day....what a top man in RL too.

https://www.planetrugby.com/exclusive-b ... mpions-cup

Quote:
As rugby connoisseurs finish digesting their feast of the action in Japan, Planet Rugby caught up with Ireland legend Brian O’Driscoll, to examine the offerings of the European Champions Cup that commences this weekend.

From Tokyo to Thomond

“It’s hard to describe the mixed reactions when players suddenly switch from their World Cup aspirations to domestic rugby in the Champions Cup,” noted O’Driscoll.

“Many have asked, what will be the motivation and the emotion of the players, coming off a really tough eight weeks in Japan, only to face another mountain of rugby in group stages in Europe?

“This really depends on the individual; the Home and European Unions all shared mixed results, some good, some bad, but it’s safe to say not one side really hit the aspiration they had; even England will be disappointed with where they finished and I’m aware both the Scots and my Irish colleagues will see their performance as below expectations.

“For the elder statesmen, their frustrations may be one of ‘it was my last chance’ and, as a result, they’ll want to put their energy into winning silverware in Europe as they’re aware time is running out in their careers.

“For the young guns, whilst they’ll carry the burden longer, they’ll also be champing at the bit to return to play, wanting to prove a point and wishing to take their learning from Japan into the domestic season ahead, further putting a marker down for their continued career progression.

“In short, most will be highly motivated but for different reasons; yes, there will be a few that want to put their feet up and equally, there will be those that have niggles and workload fatigue, but in general, I think the below par returns from most of the nations will energise their performances in Europe,” confirmed the Irishman.

Timing

“I think it’s fair to say that we’ll see the intent of law amelioration that we saw at the World Cup taken into Europe and it’ll be fascinating to see how the officials and players react.

“I am of a mindset that we’re about in the right place regarding collisions. I’ve always craved the gladiatorial moments in the game, the massive hit, the huge tackles and we have to balance player welfare with the fact rugby IS a collision sport. Remove that from the game and you lose our most compelling USP, that of the thrill of the moment, the ooooh and the ahhhh as someone makes a breathtaking hit on an almost unstoppable carry.

“What I don’t want to see is another incident where a player lines up someone with a reckless no-arms charge from 20 metres as we saw in the Samoa v Russia game; that was almost out of control at one point and incidents like that need outlawing.

“We’re now at the point where timing and skill are overcoming brute strength as the key factor in defending. I always look at my old pal Jonny Wilkinson as the best pound for pound tackler I’ve ever seen; his hits were based upon absolute awareness, concentration and above all, timing. When you get players like him executing well, focusing on technical superiority at the moment of contact, then we know the game is going in the right direction and we’ve gotten to the point where the balance between crowd thrill, match aggression and player welfare is working well.

Runners and riders

“Looking forward to the Champions Cup, the parallel with the Rugby World Cup remains, with group qualification key.

“The recipe for progression is simple; win all your home games, win one on the road and, assuming a couple of try bonus-points, you’ll move forward to the knockout stages. I like to call it the Munster model,” chuckled O’Driscoll.

“Victories away from home are rare and it will get tough in terms of schedule. Player welfare and squad depth will be telling, with three consecutive double-headers in November, December and January, before normal service resumes after the Six Nations.

“Aside from Pool 4, another ‘pool of death’, the groups look pretty well balanced. Moving into the weekend, Pool 1 is also set up for some royal battles; Leinster, Lyon and Saints take some pretty serious early-season form with them and I see them progressing well, all three playing some really neat and expansive rugby and it’ll be fascinating to see how the tussles between those sides unfold.

“In Pool 5 I rather fancy Toulouse to go a long way; they’ve got 12 World Cup players returned and often, away from the arm-wrestle of Top 14, play with more freedom than we see in their domestic league. Despite the challenge of Montpellier in their group, they have a decent chance of wins on the road at Kingsholm or in Galway.

“Pool 3 shows us that last year’s form means little, with both Quins and Bath struggling to find their feet this season; Ulster will be driven by desire from some of their elder statesmen and with Clermont always a threat, I see some English casualties in this grouping,” noted the former Lions skipper.

“Exeter Chiefs have really failed to ‘get over the line’ on a number of occasions now, and Rob Baxter’s recent frustrations will mean they’ll be nervy going into a massive fixture away at the consistent La Rochelle. Both sides will benefit from some World Cup returnees but again this group is a really tight one to call.

“Returning to Pool 4 and my game of the round; Saracens’ trip to Racing 92 will be a crackerjack. The battle of the big spenders! There’s a lot of noise around the recent Saracens revelations, underpinned by Baxter’s observations that Sarries have actually admitted they go seeking legal loopholes to exploit, something I find quite concerning. There’s a lot of angry people within the club itself but Europe is a competition free of the Gallagher Premiership Salary Cap and I expect the Londoners to explode onto the pitch to prove a point in Paris in what will be a gladiatorial battle.

“Post World Cup, Europe now becomes the shop window of the game for the next few months and I’m pleased to say that the products on offer are really compelling. I’m really looking forward to these matches and will hope to catch you on BT Sport to share my views and listen to yours.”

We thank Brian for his time and wish him and Leinster well in the forthcoming weeks.

That's not Rory Best

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

You Prods are fúcked now

Not really.

You'd be surprised, even in Co Tyrone, how much interest those catholic school boys have in rugby. Ulster being on BBC 2 most Friday nights was a must watch for most households.

If Ulster could ever tap into schools around here they'd be unto something. The size of those boys, from both protestant and catholic schools. Some of the upper 6ths from both denominations are brutes of cubs. Just big raw fuckers. Dungannon RFC are trying their best, to be fair, going around all local schools and inviting guys to training.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:25 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

You Prods are fúcked now

Not really.

You'd be surprised, even in Co Tyrone, how much interest those catholic school boys have in rugby. Ulster being on BBC 2 most Friday nights was a must watch for most households.

If Ulster could ever tap into schools around here they'd be unto something. The size of those boys, from both protestant and catholic schools. Some of the upper 6ths from both denominations are brutes of cubs. Just big raw fuckers. Dungannon RFC are trying their best, to be fair, going around all local schools and inviting guys to training.

It's a bit like Leinster. We went from not having any props to now having a good few once we started tapping into the country lads. Schools rugby was a disaster for props as most coaches stuck an extra wing forward in there and the fat lad got left off the team.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

Belvo changed that.

Figured out a couple of tubby backrows can still be destroyed if you time the whole thing right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:46 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

You Prods are fúcked now

Not really.

That’s true everywhere tbf. Look at Munster starting to reap rewards in west cork. All good. Expand the player base.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:51 pm 

Is West Cork the name of some town in South Africa?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:48 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Belvo changed that.

Figured out a couple of tubby backrows can still be destroyed if you time the whole thing right.

That was Roscrea. It had got to ridiculous proportions where lads who should have been wearing numbers 12 or 13 were in f**king propping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:01 pm 

I've taken a lot of blows to the head, I got the back and white thing right ffs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:11 pm 

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

You Prods are fúcked now

Not really.

That’s true everywhere tbf. Look at Munster starting to reap rewards in west cork. All good. Expand the player base.

We are actively targeting getting lads in from immigrant communities for all sorts of reasons including athletic ability and size. We will reap significant benefits in years to come.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

You Prods are fúcked now

Not really.

It's a bit like Leinster. We went from not having any props to now having a good few once we started tapping into the country lads. Schools rugby was a disaster for props as most coaches stuck an extra wing forward in there and the fat lad got left off the team.

Leinster's props are: -

- A Georgian lad from Castleknock;
- A Belvo lad;
- A NZ lad;
- A Clongowes from Dublin;
- An Offaly lad;
- A Wexford lad;
- An Andrews lad.

Nothing to do with country lads, just better scouting, better prep and a lucky crop.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:26 pm 

When're the teams being announced?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
When're the teams being announced?

Around lunchtime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10144, 10145, 10146, 10147, 10148, 10149, 10150 ... 10208  Next