Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 514
Given their massive budgets the French teams are absolutely piss poor in Europe. Do they not take it seriously?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32484
Location: Pigdogistan
Relegation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1977
Nolanator wrote:
Relegation.


The teams playing in Europe are rarely in fear of relegation ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 1930
Location: England
Botha Boy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Relegation.


The teams playing in Europe are rarely in fear of relegation ...


It's definitely been the case for the likes of Castres in the past.

Bar a handful of French clubs with European pedigree, they'd all rather win the Top14. European progression is a nice bonus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 52410
They don't care, their own league is their thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 514
sockwithaticket wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Relegation.


The teams playing in Europe are rarely in fear of relegation ...


It's definitely been the case for the likes of Castres in the past.

Bar a handful of French clubs with European pedigree, they'd all rather win the Top14. European progression is a nice bonus.



The top top french teams (Racing 92 etc) seem to do well but if you have a mid ranking English Premier Team against a mid ranking Top14 team I'd back the English team every single time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1977
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15543
Location: West of Londinium
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.

Very much this I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 804
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Same


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 1930
Location: England
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Myriad things. Our salary cap makes the league very competitive, but it also ensures that the talent is spread realtively thinly (which makes competing in Europe more difficult against the best French and Irish teams) and everyone is more at risk of relegation. Again, Europe's a nice to have rather than a priority.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 52410
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?



A competitive league ad odds with their unions rather than central money being poured in to regions rather than clubs.

Eventually the French and English will stop bothering.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3580
Location: le Bayou
mdaclarke wrote:
Given their massive budgets the French teams are absolutely piss poor in Europe. Do they not take it seriously?

Lol, same answers as every years, only 2 clubs are interested in this cup, the Top14 is our championship and we love the 6 Nations. Since beIN have the tv rights they show only few games, also most clubs take this opportunity to rest their main players, for the challenged cup they send mainly players that don't play a lot, so nobody really follows or cares about it.
Hope this help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1982
Piss poor level of French coaching.
That also explains why they've yet to have a RWC despite their enormous ressources.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 am
Posts: 3578
shaggy wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Same

Precisely.

When you're King of England or Roi de France, there are no mountains left to conquer at club level. Bashing a few Celts in Europe is neither here nor there for the Anglo-French big boys.

The cute thing is that the Celts themselves, especially the Irish, treat the European Cup as if it were the most significant thing since penicillin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1087
Location: Down by the Riverside
MrDominator wrote:
shaggy wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Same

Precisely.

When you're King of England or Roi de France, there are no mountains left to conquer at club level. Bashing a few Celts in Europe is neither here nor there for the Anglo-French big boys.

The cute thing is that the Celts themselves, especially the Irish, treat the European Cup as if it were the most significant thing since penicillin.


So the English clubs thew ALL their matches against Irish teams again this year, because the competition isn't important.
Makes you wonder why they bother entering.
Maybe a competition between English and Italian teams then? The English might do better in that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12852
Location: Coalfalls
They are so poor in Europe because of the malign influence of ze chermans but would be rich in places with weaker currencies.

No charge for the advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 14401
2018 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2017 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2016 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2015 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2014 - Winner, 3 QFs
2013 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2012 - 1 SF, 2 QF
2011 - 2 SF, 3 QFs
2010 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 4 QFs
2009 - 1 QF

So in the past 10 years their teams have won it 4 times, failed to make the final 3 times, and only failed to make the semi once. Yes, when will they start giving a fuck? The reality is some of the teams that qualify just aren't that good. Montpellier are rubbish without Nadolo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 14401
shaggy wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?


Same

Which doesn't really explain why they've mostly been poor in the league too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 10471
French sides don't fare well on the road. I believe it's a feature of their league, and formerly the standard of homer refereeing that they expect to win home games, not away games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5740
sockwithaticket wrote:
Myriad things. Our salary cap makes the league very competitive, but it also ensures that the talent is spread realtively thinly (which makes competing in Europe more difficult against the best French and Irish teams) and everyone is more at risk of relegation. Again, Europe's a nice to have rather than a priority.


Given the relative population sizes, England should have roughly 10 times the available talent of anyone in Europe other than France. On average, each English club has something like double the population to draw on compared to Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so each club should have relatively more talent available, not less.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 61
bimboman wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?



A competitive league ad odds with their unions rather than central money being poured in to regions rather than clubs.

Eventually the French and English will stop bothering.


I suspect the stop bothering bothering part will coincide with the constant losing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 am
Posts: 2714
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
canine wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.



And what’s the excuse for the English teams ... ?



A competitive league ad odds with their unions rather than central money being poured in to regions rather than clubs.

Eventually the French and English will stop bothering.


I suspect the stop bothering bothering part will coincide with the constant losing


Constant losing apart from the frequent years they win it, I suppose. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21344
mdaclarke wrote:
Given their massive budgets the French teams are absolutely piss poor in Europe. Do they not take it seriously?


Like the English, the League comes first. Plus until recently they were the big force in Europe until Sarries did the double.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1087
Location: Down by the Riverside
Edinburgh01 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Myriad things. Our salary cap makes the league very competitive, but it also ensures that the talent is spread realtively thinly (which makes competing in Europe more difficult against the best French and Irish teams) and everyone is more at risk of relegation. Again, Europe's a nice to have rather than a priority.


Given the relative population sizes, England should have roughly 10 times the available talent of anyone in Europe other than France. On average, each English club has something like double the population to draw on compared to Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so each club should have relatively more talent available, not less.


There is the truth. Its quite simply Celtic genetic, intellectual and physical superiority.
Viz one Brit an 2 French teams vs 5 Pro14 teams in Europe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 14401
eldanielfire wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
Given their massive budgets the French teams are absolutely piss poor in Europe. Do they not take it seriously?


Like the English, the League comes first. Plus until recently they were the big force in Europe until Sarries did the double.

Has anyone told the English sides that? Like if Newcastle are prioritizing the league they'd wanna get the fucking finger out. As to the French.

https://www.flashscore.com/rugby-union/france/top-14/standings/
Some of the teams just aren't that good. It's not permanent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 1280
Location: NZ
Not enough kiwi players or coaches.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8346
paddyor wrote:
2018 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2017 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2016 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2015 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2014 - Winner, 3 QFs
2013 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2012 - 1 SF, 2 QF
2011 - 2 SF, 3 QFs
2010 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 4 QFs
2009 - 1 QF

So in the past 10 years their teams have won it 4 times, failed to make the final 3 times, and only failed to make the semi once. Yes, when will they start giving a fuck? The reality is some of the teams that qualify just aren't that good. Montpellier are rubbish without Nadolo.


not quite sure why this was ignored - it's a pretty good showing by the French


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 am
Posts: 174
Trostan wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Myriad things. Our salary cap makes the league very competitive, but it also ensures that the talent is spread realtively thinly (which makes competing in Europe more difficult against the best French and Irish teams) and everyone is more at risk of relegation. Again, Europe's a nice to have rather than a priority.


Given the relative population sizes, England should have roughly 10 times the available talent of anyone in Europe other than France. On average, each English club has something like double the population to draw on compared to Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so each club should have relatively more talent available, not less.


There is the truth. Its quite simply Celtic genetic, intellectual and physical superiority.
Viz one Brit an 2 French teams vs 5 Pro14 teams in Europe


4 Brit teams. Only 1 English.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13926
Low standards for discipline and error count in their domestic league. Toulon were the exception to the rule and they filled their squad with mercenaries who had already learnt to win elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17924
Location: balbriggan
paddyor wrote:
2018 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2017 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2016 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2015 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2014 - Winner, 3 QFs
2013 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2012 - 1 SF, 2 QF
2011 - 2 SF, 3 QFs
2010 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 4 QFs
2009 - 1 QF

So in the past 10 years their teams have won it 4 times, failed to make the final 3 times, and only failed to make the semi once. Yes, when will they start giving a fuck? The reality is some of the teams that qualify just aren't that good. Montpellier are rubbish without Nadolo.

Let the One eye brit have his moment of glory...

Or laugh at the stupidity ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17924
Location: balbriggan
franch fan wrote:
Piss poor level of French coaching.
That also explains why they've yet to have a RWC despite their enormous ressources.


bulldog wrote:
You know fuçk all about rugby


one for your wank bank ...
Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12430
Location: Best country in the world.
bimboman wrote:
They don't care, their own league is their thing.


Tell that to an ASM supporter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4045
Location: Gaillimh
Hong Kong wrote:
paddyor wrote:
2018 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2017 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2016 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2015 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2014 - Winner, 3 QFs
2013 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2012 - 1 SF, 2 QF
2011 - 2 SF, 3 QFs
2010 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 4 QFs
2009 - 1 QF

So in the past 10 years their teams have won it 4 times, failed to make the final 3 times, and only failed to make the semi once. Yes, when will they start giving a fuck? The reality is some of the teams that qualify just aren't that good. Montpellier are rubbish without Nadolo.


not quite sure why this was ignored - it's a pretty good showing by the French


This is PR so whatever happened yesterday is the absolute truth of what things will be like forever.

It's still not wrong that the teams tend to not care that much about it, although it's been slowly changing. Take away ASM and Toulon and the above doesn't look quite the same for the recent past. Before that, Toulouse/ASM/Biarritz/SF were the ones to take that competition seriously, but Biarritz dropped out to ProD2 and SF ran into heavy financial troubles so shifted priorities. Toulon came in a bit later but that's when Toulouse started struggling a bit, and Racing Metro is the latest to actually try. The league has 7 spots but with the vagaries of league form, you will rarely get 7 teams interested at the same time. This year for example, Toulon is shite yet qualified last year, while ASM who were dreadful last year are playing the challenge cup while in mighty form... Toulouse clicking again is good news though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4685
Hong Kong wrote:
paddyor wrote:
2018 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2017 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2016 - 1 French finalist, 3 QFs
2015 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2014 - Winner, 3 QFs
2013 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 3 QFs
2012 - 1 SF, 2 QF
2011 - 2 SF, 3 QFs
2010 - Winner from 2 French finalists, 4 QFs
2009 - 1 QF

So in the past 10 years their teams have won it 4 times, failed to make the final 3 times, and only failed to make the semi once. Yes, when will they start giving a fuck? The reality is some of the teams that qualify just aren't that good. Montpellier are rubbish without Nadolo.


not quite sure why this was ignored - it's a pretty good showing by the French


It was ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative by some on here from a certain country who like to change the competition every so often because they can't win it.

French teams that have the squad do well in Europe and that's what it comes down to, saying that all of them don't care about it is well frankly moronic. Also throwing money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve/help it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8158
Location: hovering over the red button
Quote:
It was ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative by some on here from a certain country who like to change the competition every so often because they can't win it.


Given Sarries won in 2016 and 2017 that is a pretty stupid comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4685
blindcider wrote:
Quote:
It was ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative by some on here from a certain country who like to change the competition every so often because they can't win it.


Given Sarries won in 2016 and 2017 that is a pretty stupid comment.



Partly flippant and partly true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21344
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Quote:
It was ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative by some on here from a certain country who like to change the competition every so often because they can't win it.


Given Sarries won in 2016 and 2017 that is a pretty stupid comment.



Partly flippant and partly true.


Really? The premiership has only not won it the one season. For goodness sake how long do some posters think it's been?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, assfly, BBB, Beaver_Shark, bessantj, Big D, Brumby_in_Vic, camroc1, Conspicuous, danny_fitz, eldanielfire, etherman, fatcat, feckwanker, Flockwitt, Gazzamonster, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Gwenno, Homer, Jumper, koroke hangareka, penguin, Plato'sCave, Poshprop, rfurlong, Sards, sewa, tc27, Toulon's Not Toulouse, Troll, Turbogoat, Wilson's Toffee and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group