Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Belfast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm 

Just returned back from what transpired to be a really enjoyable break in Belfast. :thumbup:

I've visited Belfast several times before mostly through participating in the annual Maracycle Dublin-Belfast-Dublin starting in the 1990's, but until now I had never stayed in Belfast as a tourist before.

Very enjoyable trip. We took a bus tour taking in the sights such as Stormont, the Titanic Centre, Falls Road, Shankill Road and Crumlin Road prison. I'd recommend taking this tour to other newbie tourists because it gives you a quick view of the city and you can hop off and hop on wherever you want. The people doing the tour said that visitor/tourist numbers to Belfast had increased. Good to hear this.

Titanic Centre is a really great attraction to visit. The centre gives the visitor a real insight in the Harland & Woulff shipyards and the ship building industry in Belfast. Of course the Titanic story is the centre piece of the visit but the other stuff around the ship building is as interesting in my opinion.

The pubs and restaurants throughout Belfast all seemed to be really busy. The shops and department stores were doing great trade throughout the city. You can't miss the amount of new building work going on especially in and around the city centre. Around Bedford Street especially.
Some really fabulous pubs too. The Empire, Laverty's, The Cloth Ear, John Hewitt Pub.

I'd recommend Belfast as a visitor location.

Post subject: Re: Belfast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm 

Sounds a bit shit in all honesty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm 

Sounds a bit shit in all honesty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Just returned back from what transpired to be a really enjoyable break in Belfast. :thumbup:

I've visited Belfast several times before mostly through participating in the annual Maracycle Dublin-Belfast-Dublin starting in the 1990's, but until now I had never stayed in Belfast as a tourist before.

Very enjoyable trip. We took a bus tour taking in the sights such as Stormont, the Titanic Centre, Falls Road, Shankill Road and Crumlin Road prison. I'd recommend taking this tour to other newbie tourists because it gives you a quick view of the city and you can hop off and hop on wherever you want. The people doing the tour said that visitor/tourist numbers to Belfast had increased. Good to hear this.

Titanic Centre is a really great attraction to visit. The centre gives the visitor a real insight in the Harland & Woulff shipyards and the ship building industry in Belfast. Of course the Titanic story is the centre piece of the visit but the other stuff around the ship building is as interesting in my opinion.

The pubs and restaurants throughout Belfast all seemed to be really busy. The shops and department stores were doing great trade throughout the city. You can't miss the amount of new building work going on especially in and around the city centre. Around Bedford Street especially.
Some really fabulous pubs too. The Empire, Laverty's, The Cloth Ear, John Hewitt Pub.

Good man yourself :thumbup:

Everyone seems to enjoy the bus tour.

Belfast and Causeway Coast made the Lonely Planet No1 for Best places to visit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm 

Titanic Exhibit is a bit of a rip off now I feel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm 

I usually enjoy my trips to Belfast.
W5 is also a good spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:47 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

I've never been to it yet. Really must check it out, it's not like its that far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

Nice one.

Yeah, the Titanic Centre is supposedly the 5th most visited tourist attraction in the world.

Good to see a city which has had too many bad times recently, get a break and making the most of it.
Hopefully we will get to the Giant's Causeway on our next trip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 pm 

SASP wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

I've never been to it yet. Really must check it out, it's not like its that far away.

I enjoyed the Titanic Centre. You can spending hours there learning about the shipyard and learning about the ships built there. I found it very interesting, and the fact that it is interactive if you have little ones even they'd be impressed.

Well worth visiting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:53 pm 

I enjoyed the Titanic Centre but once was enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:05 pm 

boringperson12 wrote:
I enjoyed the Titanic Centre but once was enough.

Did it leave you with a sinking feeling?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:09 pm 

I was there in October for the Ulster v Leinster match.

I was well impressed with it. Very hipster in the cathedral quarter mind.

Duke of York pub great spot.

I only have one complaint with Northern Ireland in general......the f**king bank notes. Could you not use Bank of England notes ? Same goes for the Jocks. Pain in the hole trying to get them accepted in England.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

Nice one.

Yeah, the Titanic Centre is supposedly the 5th most visited tourist attraction in the world.

Good to see a city which has had too many bad times recently, get a break and making the most of it.

Going round the north coast on hopefully a dry summers day is well worth it. My favourite place in Northern Ireland. Giants Causeway, Ballintoy Harbour etc followed by a trip to the Winebar. There's plenty of coffee shops in Portstewart too, though most are packed in the summer evenings :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

I only have one complaint with Northern Ireland in general......the f**king bank notes. Could you not use Bank of England notes ? Same goes for the Jocks. Pain in the hole trying to get them accepted in England.

Ah just use them in a Sainsbury's self check out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm 

I hadn't been up there in years but happily I was up there on Thursday for some business meetings. Took a walk down the Falls Road on my lunch break and had a look at the murals, and had a quick look at the town hall and that orange lodge with the cage around it. Did you know the town hall in Durban, South Africa is a carbon copy of the Belfast Town Hall? The exact same, except surrounded by palm trees.

Also met a guy in North Belfast and he gave me a drive around speaking about the provision of housing up there in some of the interface areas, fascinating stuff.

Would like to go back and bring the missus some time.

EDIT: From a cycling perspective, looks like there's some good sportives in NI.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm 

I've never seen a place as quiet on a Sunday as Belfast mind. Absolutely hopping on a Saturday night mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

The bank notes are the only drawback. It means you have to go back there to spend them! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

Nice one.

You should do it cycling. Belfast to Derry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:39 pm 

I must take a get away up to Belfast in the near future.

From my recent visit to Northern Ireland I’d avoid Mullaghglass in Armagh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:40 pm 

YOYO wrote:

From my recent visit to Northern Ireland I’d avoid Armagh.

Fixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

I use NI notes in England all the time and I've never had a problem having them accepted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Fixed

Or Mullaglass. Not sure which is the right spelling.

Can you recommend a couple of locations in Northern Ireland other then Belfast that a southern brethren would enjoy?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm 

SASP wrote:
W5 is also a good spot.

I was thinking of bringing the kids up there in a few weeks.
Worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:58 pm 

Coast/Glens route, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Giants Causeway, Bushmills Tour, Bushmills Inn is a good itinerary. Rathlin Island is good for a night for something a bit different.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:00 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

I use NI notes in England all the time and I've never had a problem having them accepted.

London black cabs are the only real issue I've had, but they're thrawn individuals anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:06 pm 

The last time I was there I had to escape from a department store on Royal Avenue wearing a jumper I had just put on.

The bang was deafening.

My late sister in law attended to the injured at the Royal Vic. She looked after the children.

Many of you have no idea what it was like in those days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm 

Coast/Glens route, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Giants Causeway, Bushmills Tour, Bushmills Inn is a good itinerary. Rathlin Island is good for a night for something a bit different.

What's that got to do with Belfast?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 pm 

I've enjoyed similar weekend breaks in Belfast, and had some great meals.

But the Sunday morning ghost town element is a pain in the whole. Everywhere shut until lunchtime when you're ready to leave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Fixed

Can you recommend a couple of locations in Northern Ireland other then Belfast that a southern brethren would enjoy?

Army listed off a load around the North Coast above

If you wanted something outdoorsy, around Newcastle area is another good spot, you can climb Donard which would take most of the day or there's Castlewellan or tollymore forest park. Slightly outside them closer to Newry is Kilbroney forest park in Rostrevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Fixed

Before Christmas, we took a trip up around Dungannon and Cookstown. I hadn't been to that part of country since my rugby playing days. It's a nice area, bit off the tourist trail but interesting nonetheless.

We drove to there via Armagh, and Armagh is a nice town to visit too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 pm 

My former wife is from Gortin. She owns a hotel in Donegal.

What on earth has this got to do with Belfast?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm 

globus wrote:

Try reading the thread you tedious cunt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

globus wrote:
My former wife is from Gortin. She owns a hotel in Donegal.

What on earth has this got to do with Belfast?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Fixed

Army listed off a load around the North Coast above

If you wanted something outdoorsy, around Newcastle area is another good spot, you can climb Donard which would take most of the day or there's Castlewellan or tollymore forest park. Slightly outside them closer to Newry is Kilbroney forest park in Rostrevor

Murlough beach is a nice walk with a good view of the Mournes as well, 2 minutes outside Newcastle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 pm 

Play golf at Newcastle.

This thread shoud be consigned to a bin that is labelled "I'll post anything I know about Ireland".

I know a lot about that isle. And I'm English.

Last edited by globus on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 pm 

globus wrote:

I had asked on this thread for a few places to visit in NI other than Belfast itself. Think AS was helping me out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 pm 

globus wrote:

Many of us do.
Now fúck off, you tedious prat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm 

YOYO wrote:
globus wrote:

I had asked on this thread for a few places to visit in NI other than Belfast itself. Think AS was helping me out.

Ask me then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
SASP wrote:
W5 is also a good spot.

I was thinking of bringing the kids up there in a few weeks.
Worth it?

It's pretty good, has a wide range of science exhibits and the demonstrations are interesting. You could spend half the day in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:18 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
globus wrote:

Many of us do.
Now fúck off, you tedious prat.

You clearly don't.

Now. Do tell me what you know about Omagh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next