Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 am 

Quote:
JUNE 11, 2018 http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018 ... man-pilot/

...and yes, before you ask, work on WINDS OF WINTER continues, and remains my top priority. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. If I wasn’t busy with WINDS, don’t you think I’d be scripting one or more of these pilots myself? It’s not as if I’ve never written for TV…)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am 

crash 669 wrote:
While I've just given up on the books ever being finished, I'm glad the prequel is set then, rather than Robert's rebellion. It will be much more interesting to have it set in a time with nothing to do with the current characters.

Surely a spin off mini series called "The Adventures of Arya and the Hound - Every Last Chicken in Westeros"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
While I've just given up on the books ever being finished, I'm glad the prequel is set then, rather than Robert's rebellion. It will be much more interesting to have it set in a time with nothing to do with the current characters.

Robert's Rebellion would make a good miniseries.

I agree with GRRM that we know everything that we need to know about the Rebellion and subsequent war. It would be hard to tell a story worth caring about when you know every major plot point and the fate of every character ahead of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Why would he release the books and spoiler the entire final season? There must be some agreement.

Because there's two more books to go, not one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

Surely a spin off mini series called "The Adventures of Arya and the Hound - Every Last Chicken in Westeros"

"Cooking with Hot Pie" GRRM would write it in record time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am 

crash 669 wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

"Cooking with Hot Pie" GRRM would write it in record time.

You're kidding. The chapter on pastry alone would be longer than Tyrion's boat ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am 

crash 669 wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

I agree with GRRM that we know everything that we need to know about the Rebellion and subsequent war. It would be hard to tell a story worth caring about when you know every major plot point and the fate of every character ahead of time.

Thanks to GRRM and those two weirdos spending all that time producing compendiums on Westeros, we'll know pretty much everything we need to about Bran the Builder and all that won't we though?

Jane Goldman should be able to make a decent fist of it though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am 

Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

Thanks to GRRM and those two weirdos spending all that time producing compendiums on Westeros, we'll know pretty much everything we need to about Bran the Builder and all that won't we though?

Maybe there's a twist that the ancient Starks were a bunch of shits and the Boltons were the good guys...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

the actor playing the hound must love learning his lines !

Cnut blah blah Cnut
*chopping a head off*
Feck blah blah you die like a cnut blah
repeat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:55 am 

Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

I suppose fisting is about the only thing we've not seen in the show so far. Maybe they'll ride around on Mac's workout bike to explain how people get about so quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

Maybe there's a twist that the ancient Starks were a bunch of shits and the Boltons were the good guys...

maybe the twist will be they can get a Blonde Lead woman actress who can actually act & not stink up every scene she's in where she doesn't get her Clam out ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm 

crash 669 wrote:

I agree. Doing Robert's rebellion would kinda kill the whole series, the subjectivity and varied recollection of the events are essential parts of the series. Though I'd love some of the subjective mysteries of the series to be resolved or confirmed within the narrative e.g. Was Ed's sister kidnapped or in love? Why does Daenery's keep dreaming of the red door from her childhood?

Though I'd love to find out some things like how the doom of Valeria actually occured? What's there now? Why is magic, or some magic tied to dragons?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Though I'd love to find out some things like how the doom of Valeria actually occured? What's there now? Why is magic, or some magic tied to dragons?

It would be cool, but fairly straightforward. I'd imagine that it's something along the lines of dragons evolved in a place with lots of volcanic activity and the Valerians somehow harnessed this environment to tame them and breed them ever bigger and more badass. Valyrian steel something to do with knowing the workings of high temperature processes etc.

Then one day a mega eruption/supervolcano event blitzed the area and all the accumulated knowledge of the civilisation was wiped out with the people. What was left (dragons, swords) got a bit shit in time or simply wasn't replaced with the lack of technology/magic/whatever which was at the heart of their advances.

Now there's just a massive shattered caldera type landscape where the civilisation was centred. Probably still some volcanic activity and horrible sea currents in the area. Maybe shit like gas vents periodically blanketing the place in CO2 killing anyone/thing that tries to reclaim the wasteland. Hence, it being extremely dangerous to sail too close.

For added mythos and drama throw in something about the Valerians mining too deep to extract what they could from the lava resources and bringing the doom on themselves.
Maybe replace some of the science/geology with makey-uppy words that primitives would use to make it sound more authentic.

Sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
For added mythos and drama throw in something about the Valerians mining too deep to extract what they could from the lava resources and bringing the doom on themselves.

Balrog?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Balrog?

Arkenstone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

It would be cool, but fairly straightforward. I'd imagine that it's something along the lines of dragons evolved in a place with lots of volcanic activity and the Valerians somehow harnessed this environment to tame them and breed them ever bigger and more badass. Valyrian steel something to do with knowing the workings of high temperature processes etc.

Then one day a mega eruption/supervolcano event blitzed the area and all the accumulated knowledge of the civilisation was wiped out with the people. What was left (dragons, swords) got a bit shit in time or simply wasn't replaced with the lack of technology/magic/whatever which was at the heart of their advances.

Now there's just a massive shattered caldera type landscape where the civilisation was centred. Probably still some volcanic activity and horrible sea currents in the area. Maybe shit like gas vents periodically blanketing the place in CO2 killing anyone/thing that tries to reclaim the wasteland. Hence, it being extremely dangerous to sail too close.

Maybe replace some of the science/geology with makey-uppy words that primitives would use to make it sound more authentic.

Sorted.

The idea of a mega volcano explosion is a given, but was it due to some unexplained dark actions by the valarians that set it off? Or by over mining to create valarian steel or their rampart slavery. Or even sabotage.

BTW the only bit of GRRMs realistic "life is unfair" take on things I never brought, was that was Trag's aside, the idea every dragon in the Valarion empire was all there at the eruption and even the ones all there couldn't escape when eruptions kicked off. It would make more sense if dragons died off afterwards (no eggs laid in other parts of the world etc).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Sorted.

The idea of a mega volcano explosion is a given, but was it due to some unexplained dark actions by the valarians that set it off? Or by over mining to create valarian steel or their rampart slavery. Or even sabotage.

BTW the only bit of GRRMs realistic "life is unfair" take on things I never brought, was that was Trag's aside, the idea every dragon in the Valarion empire was all there at the eruption and even the ones all there couldn't escape when eruptions kicked off. It would make more sense if dragons died off afterwards (no eggs laid in other parts of the world etc).

It's probably just a natural disaster, but people will look to assign blame when they don't understand it. Hence accusations of Valyrians digging too deep, no longer using magic/using too much magic to keep the mines stable, whatever.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Fourteen_Flames

This mentions (citing one of the GRRM side projects he fills his time with) that some dragons did survive the Doom, they just didn't last long. The Targs in Dragonstone were the only ones who managed to make a fist of things afterwards. Presumably they were far enough removed to avoid the backlash.
They managed to breed new dragons, but they got progressively weaker and less powerful, down to the chicken sized skeletons that Arya sees in the crypts of Kings Landing. The Targs probably couldn't replicate the temperatures required to incubate and hatch the eggs in the same way that they could in the volcanoes.

Dany could because magic and reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm 

It could be a natural disaster, but it is also a world with premonition and gods who work in vague and mysterious ways which I'm sure Dany's life is part of.

As for the Dragons, I'm not sure it's heat, but a lack of blood magic that led to their end. Which of course is another question, what exactly happened at the fire of summerhall. Why did the supposed bringing back of dragons kill just about everyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
It could be a natural disaster, but it is also a world with premonition and gods who work in vague and mysterious ways which I'm sure Dany's life is part of.

As for the Dragons, I'm not sure it's heat, but a lack of blood magic that led to their end. Which of course is another question, what exactly happened at the fire of summerhall. Why did the supposed bringing back of dragons kill just about everyone?

That's a question for GRRM to answer. Unfortunately he managed to distract himself from his prelude project, which was already a distraction from the main work.
I quite like the Dunk and Egg stories. There was definitely much more to be told there, and not being full sized novels should have made it easier to get them done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm 

Fire and Ice.
Can't have one without the other. When the COTF created the white walkers, did they inadvertently create the dragons too?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Fire and Ice.
Can't have one without the other. When the COTF created the white walkers, did they inadvertently create the dragons too?

I'm not sure COTF created them in the book's version. The White Walkers arrived thousands of years after they made peace with the human's. The show purposely mixes up events and characters for drama like the night King story. Also I read there dragons on Westeros that predated humans arriving.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am 

Concept art - "Brienne of Tarth slays Dolores the Depressed Dragon"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 am 

I predict the first scene of the final season would be White Walkers holding court debating their next course of action.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm 

With a nifty PowerPoint presentation of various strategic options and then a flipchart of what core values represent them best.

Followed by a nice feast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:33 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
With a nifty PowerPoint presentation of various strategic options and then a flipchart of what core values represent them best.

Followed by a nice feast where they gorge on cod cakes and winter squash, hills of neeps and great round wheels of cheese, on smoking slabs of mutton and beef ribs charred almost black, and lastly on three great wedding pies, as wide across as wagon wheels, their flaky crusts stuffed to bursting with carrots, onions, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms, and chunks of seasoned pork swimming in a savory brown gravy with fiery Dornish peppers; supplementing Jon Snow's liver slivers with some fava beans and a nice chianti and followed by lemon cakes.

Fixed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

Followed by a nice feast where they gorge on cod cakes and winter squash, hills of neeps and great round wheels of cheese, on smoking slabs of mutton and beef ribs charred almost black, and lastly on three great wedding pies, as wide across as wagon wheels, their flaky crusts stuffed to bursting with carrots, onions, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms, and chunks of seasoned pork swimming in a savory brown gravy with fiery Dornish peppers; supplementing Jon Snow's liver slivers with some fava beans and a nice chianti and followed by lemon cakes.

Fixed

I call fake. A GRRM feast wouldn't be described in merely one paragraph.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

Fixed

Good wor!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336