Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 436  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

If it wasn't the Unsullied then why all the drama with Jon? They could have just told Grey Worm to sod off.

While the rest probably had enough forces to defeat the Unsullied & Dothraki, they'd still have suffered pretty heavy losses & they weren't willing to.

That said, I dunno why the Dothraki would stick around, I thought their thing was that they just bugger off and form a new Kahl when their leader dies.

Don't know why the Dothraki don't go pillaging Westeoros

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am 

Do you guys think that the showrunners played a cruel joke on the fans by killing Missendei instead of Greyworm? I'm sure everyone had Greyworm as certainty to die and probably one of the first and Missendei as a survivor.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
DOB wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Margin Walker. wrote:
Jon surviving Greyworm's wrath taking the black wasn't really the punishment they were building it up as, given that he's pretty at home there and was likely to wander north of the wall anyway.

That was the whole point of that last scene.

There was literally nothing but freefolk at Castle Black, there was no Nights Watch anymore. Bran knew this and that's why he sent Jon there. They could have telegraphed it a bit with some cryptic Bran line I guess, but I'm glad they didn't.

It IS a surprise that they got that past Grey Worm. “You have these guys who defend the Wall? From what? There’s a big hole in the wall now. And anyway, we just defeated the White Walkers. The Wildlings fought on our side. What’s the big enemy up there?”

Jon is also the last Targ now, it just occurred to me. The line dies with him. Assuming he doesn’t break his vows again with the first kissed-by-fire spearwife who tries to behead him.

Again and again would be closer..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

If it wasn't the Unsullied then why all the drama with Jon? They could have just told Grey Worm to sod off.

While the rest probably had enough forces to defeat the Unsullied & Dothraki, they'd still have suffered pretty heavy losses & they weren't willing to.

That said, I dunno why the Dothraki would stick around, I thought their thing was that they just bugger off and form a new Kahl when their leader dies.

They were trying to book their ferry tickets back to Essos through Red Funnel Line.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 am 

Brazil wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

They were trying to book their ferry tickets back to Essos through Red Funnel Line.

On Grayling's non existent ferries ?? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 am 

so shall we assume that we'll get a GOT conquistadores spin off, with Arya as Hernan Cortez and grey scale disease to wipe out whatever's west of westeros?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:22 am 

panamax wrote:
so shall we assume that we'll get a GOT conquistadores spin off, with Arya as Hernan Cortez and grey scale disease to wipe out whatever's west of westeros?

What's West of Westeros?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am 

I'm afraid that episode strayed far to far into fantasy for me. Not a chance NorExit would be so smooth and seamless. They would be arguing about fishing rights and the bilateral treaty between the North and the Riverlands for decades.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am 

Winnie wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Furthermore, the Starks have relations and allies in a few corners of Westeros now.

Sansa's first cousin is whatsisface, the Lord of the Vale.
Sansa's maternal uncle is Lord Edmure Tully of Riverrun.
Arya's toyboy is Lord Gendry of Storm's End.

The Lannisters are all but gone but Tyrion is a Stark ally and is hand of the king, who happens to be Sansa's bro.

Only the Reach (Bronn), Dorne, and the Iron Islands have no real allegiances to the Starks.

Was he not also married to Sansa?

Annulled due to lack of Sexytime.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 am 

GRRM speaks, no special praise but no complaints either.

Quote:
The last night, the last show. After eight epic seasons, HBO’s GAME OF THRONES series has come to an end.

I want to thank people, but there are so many. There were forty-two cast members at the season eight premiere in New York City, and that wasn’t even all of them. And the crew, though less visible than the cast, were no less important. We had some amazing people working on this show, as all those Emmys bear witness. David & Dan assembled a championship team. The directors were incredible as well. I should start naming names, but then I’d miss someone, there were so many. But I do need to mention David Benioff, Dan Weiss, Bryan Cogman (the third head of the dragon, as I said in the recent VANITY FAIR piece about him), and of course the great team at HBO, headed by Richard Plepler. Any other network, and GAME OF THRONES would not have been what it became. Most other networks, this series never gets made at all.

I could go on and on… and have, as I’ve been writing this post in my head… but there’s really too much to say. Parting is such sweet sorrow, the Bard wrote. In the weeks and months to come, I may post about some of my favorite moments from the making of this show… now and again, when I am feeling nostalgic… but just now, there are so many memories, and no time to do them all justice.

And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.

Abridged from http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:13 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Set in the context of this season alone that was a good episode and a good ending but they royally have screwed it up since season 6 ended

My only complaint, it was too predictable, could have dragged out some sort of conflict with Dany longer and took out some of the scenes after that

Initially I didnt think Bran was right to be king but definitely makes a bit more sense, and probably the best fit overall. However his 3ER arc is so pointless

Arya spin off show more or less confirmed too

I read something about her being fed up with acting and the price of fame and looking forward to walking away from acting.

No idea where so could be bs or they could get another actress to play an older version I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm 

Skimmed through some of the earlier seasons and it's such a shame they couldn't keep up the feeling of despair for the Starks it would've made the ending much more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm 

Well that was a steaming pile of sh*t.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:37 pm 

And the new King is.....

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm 

tc27 wrote:
Well that was a steaming pile of sh*t.

Yep - hugely disappointing ...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 pm 

f**king Bran - I mean really

f**king Bran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm 

BokJock wrote:

f**king Bran

The Tyrion 'Bran has a good story' sales pitch kind of fell over a bit given that Ayra was present and probably has a slightly better one and she does not look like a teenager who has just completed a 72 hour non stop World of Warcraft marathon in his parents basement.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:19 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
BokJock wrote:

f**king Bran

The Tyrion 'Bran has a good story' sales pitch kind of fell over a bit given that Ayra was present and probably has a slightly better one and she does not look like a teenager who has just completed a 72 hour non stop World of Warcraft marathon in his parents basement.

Nobody really knows that though do they? The Faceless Man stuff was all very, um, cloak and dagger.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:29 pm 

When Sam started that democracy speech it might of been the most cringeworthy thing in the whole show.

worst character apart from f**king Bran.

But what a hell of a show, well done to all involved (except Euron, Sam and Bran)

A decade well spent. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm 

BokJock wrote:
When Sam started that democracy speech it might of been the most cringeworthy thing in the whole show.

Probably tongue in cheek because many fans had a theory that the monarchy was going to be overthrown by Dany in favour of a representative democracy - as if it could happen more or less overnight. Just as well they didn't go down that route or or it would have been another stick to beat the show with.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:

Easy. Recruit the same way but don't cut off dicks.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:54 pm 

Auckman wrote:
Sophie Turner said fans will be disappointed with the final episode and upset with the ending.

Well, Sophie, it has pretty much been signposted now so just get on with it. 8)

Besides Bran being king is somewhat WTF? I liked the places the ending went to. Sansa Queen of the North is perfect for her, Arya's makes sense more if you read the books, otherwise it's pulled out the writers arses, Jon Snow's ending was perfect, I like how he walks out into the north with all the Wildlings with a smirk on his face. I'd imagine in the book he'd get with Val who he was lusting after. Also Tyrion hand of the democratically elected king (well ancient Greek like democracy) seems perfect. If all a little cheesy maybe?

I hated Dany's "Make no sense" heel turn last episode, but Jon killing her was fine. I still say she should have heard the bells, flown over the Cersei and a final scorpion bolt fires at her, she realises it was a trick, and just goes nuts at the red keep. This kills a lot of innocents as it happens and she doesn't stop. That makes much more sense than her just snapping to kill innocents first while her main enemy is the other side of the city and would make her new found fundamentalism of "I can't trust enemies so they must all die" make much more sense.

Anyways besides Bran's WTF King turn it was a nice bitter-sweet ending.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
Without equivocations, the worst episode in 8 seasons. I nearly threw up my roasted chicken when they had a plug for the peoples' vote. The dialogue between Tyrion and Jon was just comical and made all the worse by lousy acting.

That bit was bad dialogue. And WTF! Tyrion pulled that idea out of his ass. But what came after I quite liked. You can tell often these TV writers running the show can't do the dialogue, since season 7 some of it comes over as very modern and clunky.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 pm 

Lacrobat wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Morgan14 wrote:
So... a Stark sits on the throne yet Sansa still says 'yeah nah, we are independent' and the new king's first decision is, yeah sure, no problem, have at it

And why didn't the other guys ask for independence?

The only ones who could pull that off are Dorne and the Vale. The other houses are in ruins; most have no bannerman left. Brann could call on the North and the unsullied (and the Dothraki?) and they'd get curb stomped.

And remember Dorne's strength was a trick, it was supposed two be much weaker than it appeared and after Euron stomped their ships it must have been on it's knees as a fighting force.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:02 pm 

True Blue wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
Ironic that the most successful show of the last several decades finishes in a pile of shit :lol:

Oh well. What's next.

I thought it was an excellent ending. Very Game of Thrones.

So there.

I love it. You can tell the GRRM ideas returned and it felt like how the show should end.

True Blue wrote:
The Native wrote:
Ther are so many Dany "Yass Queen!" fan-girls/boys that are going to be SJWing all over the place despite her deserving what she got -my more good thrust from Jon Snow.

5.2 on imdb :lol: Can't handle their White Saviour being a shithead I guess.

This! :lol: :lol: :lol: I frequently got annoyed with the fanbase you made moments all about their SJW politics. The "Yasss Quen! you fanboys can't stand a strong female character" bullshit brigade kinda should ahve seen it coming but didn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Next spin off series. The adventures of Aria of the west. Or North of the wall, a Jon Snow story. Maybe both.

None of that will have the political aspect though, which made this show.

I heard there was a spinoff going back centuries when the first men invaded westeros. That could have some pretty interesting politics.

I think that's been confirmed. yet 5000 years before GOT and focusing of the forrest.

I read that. Why have they made it 500 years? Altering the timeline somewhat aren't they?

My only guess is that as it lasted 2000 years they can't keep to the books canon and will have the same cast of characters for the whole thing.

My big fear with the spinoffs is they will be full of cheesy references and callbacks to GOT

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm 

True Blue wrote:
So Bran was the ultimate bad guy. Manipulated everyone from the start. The "Three Eyed Raven" is probably just what he names his nobbly penis. Killed off the competition one by one with no remorse. The show should have ended with him getting up off the wheel chair and walking out the room like a boss.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:18 pm 

A much better last series would have been:
Goodies prepare at winterfell properly (ie trebuchets behind stakes and infantry , not spunking away your Dothraki for nothing)
Cersei joins with the good guys just in time bringing her army.
Night king attacks, good guys and Lannister’s take big losses but win - or at least appears to until it turns out it was only night kings vanguard testing their strength . He then kicks ass and Cersei flees with her force nearly intact , causing the good guys to lose their unsullied and Dothraki and one dragon, who now becomes another undead dragon. Dany accidentally gets burned to death as her acting is so wooden she gets mistaken for a palisade.

They all flee to kings landing , perhaps getting their tits out along the way.
They then retreat to Dorne . Night king follows, and promptly melts .
Survivors have celebratory group shag in the deserts of Dorne . Dragons all kill each other.
Jon snow takes the iron throne and marries Cersei to unite all the houses.
Bran takes the Night watch and turns castle black into a skate park with ramps so he can spaz around.

Epilogue is Tursten marries Brienne and starts a new race of giants
Tyrion marries Arya and starts a new race of dwarves
Night king twin brother appears, and is the sun king , and also brings dead people back to life.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:

Jon Snow’s ending actually really annoyed me. I know the show loves to surprise, but in the end the fact that he was a trueborn Targaryen was more or less irrelevant. He ends up back where he started. I can see the symmetry in that, but TBH I’d actually have preferred it if they had killed him off.

Could live with the rest.

My issue with the show is slightly the ignoring of bigger themes. For example the concept that Dany brought Dragons back, that has in turn made magic magical again has kinda been ignored.

Like wise Quath (the masked women who comes to Dany's dreams) and the 3 eyed Crow Bloodraven are both Targaryans who were loyal in the bigger rebellion against the Targs. All these seem to have done is pushed Bran and Dany to end up ending the Targaryans once and for all. Likewise Reagar's profercy, the big danger his prince who was promised killed was his unborn sister, who was only born when he kidnapped Lyana Stark and her dad and brother went to KL got killed and the mad king used his fire death boner to actually conceive Dany. They should have done more to emphasise how Dany was essential to fighting the threat of the White Walkers/Others but that in turn made her the big threat to the whole world. Maybe get the white walkers to corrupt Dany's mind. That would work in the storylines better if she ended the white walker threat or Jon did with her essential help.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm 

GRRM assures us we'll find out what happened to pretty pig in his book(s) https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/05/21/ ... ifferences

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm 

I need the full lyrics of the bear and the maiden fair to have completion on SOIAF (edited)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm 

And now their watch has ended...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 pm 

That y axis is pointless without a100% total

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm 

Hilarious. Saw exactly the same graphic with Fox on it instead of HBO.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
True Blue wrote:
So Bran was the ultimate bad guy. Manipulated everyone from the start. The "Three Eyed Raven" is probably just what he names his nobbly penis. Killed off the competition one by one with no remorse. The show should have ended with him getting up off the wheel chair and walking out the room like a boss.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that would have been an ending

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Margin Walker. wrote:
Jon surviving Greyworm's wrath taking the black wasn't really the punishment they were building it up as, given that he's pretty at home there and was likely to wander north of the wall anyway.

There was literally nothing but freefolk at Castle Black, there was no Nights Watch anymore. Bran knew this and that's why he sent Jon there. They could have telegraphed it a bit with some cryptic Bran line I guess, but I'm glad they didn't.

Yeah. Another minor issue is that Castle Black is in the North, where Bran is no longer the King. Literally nothing to stop Sansa from saying ‘hey bro, you can totally live at Winterfell’ or even making him Lord of one of the houses that lost theirs (there are several).

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 pm 

I liked it. Tough to end any book/film/ series and I think it was ok. Visually superb.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Margin Walker. wrote:

Yeah. Another minor issue is that Castle Black is in the North, where Bran is no longer the King. Literally nothing to stop Sansa from saying ‘hey bro, you can totally live at Winterfell’ or even making him Lord of one of the houses that lost theirs (there are several).

I think the point is that the only real happiness Jon ever had after leaving Winterfell was beyond the wall.

Also keeps him well away from Drogon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 436  Next