Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Diego wrote:
Best place for trad in the city centre?

And if someone says The Temple Bar I'll cyber-slap them.

Hughes is actually better. Less toruists and a lock in. Saw Brendan Gleeson playing fiddle there last Sunday.

Hughes' still do lock-ins? They don't even open early doors, these days. Good to hear they're still doing well.

I was in there until 330 Sunday. My friends cousin is a piper and he said he's beeen in there until 530 some nights.

Cobblestone is always wedged with tourists and the music doesn't carry at all. You have to get right up the front.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 pm 

Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:
Zaytoon kebabs are rubbish.

i dont like kebabs. dont bother eating when drunk any more. lessens the hangover in a big way

I had three kebabs in one night a few weeks back. God I was dying the next day.

One night after getting home we offered domino's and the missus promptly feel asleep waiting for it to arrive. I couldn't wake her so managed to eat a large pizza, chicken tenders and wedges all to myself while attempting to play BF1 while of at 3am. It was great.

She was less than impresses the next morning when she got up looking for leftover pizza for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

i dont like kebabs. dont bother eating when drunk any more. lessens the hangover in a big way

One night after getting home we offered domino's and the missus promptly feel asleep waiting for it to arrive. I couldn't wake her so managed to eat a large pizza, chicken tenders and wedges all to myself while attempting to play BF1 while of at 3am. It was great.

She was less than impresses the next morning when she got up looking for leftover pizza for breakfast.

Ye can't have been that minced if you played battlefield when getting home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:59 pm 

crouchy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

Ye can't have been that minced if you played battlefield when getting home.

Wasn't wankered, but need to keep myself awake for the food delivery.
My KDR was less than impressive that night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 am 

Nolanator wrote:

What platform do ye play on Nolo?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 pm 

crouchy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

What platform do ye play on Nolo?

PS4. Haven't played all that much for the last while, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm 

A girl leaving work next month and organising a night out in town, a bit food and drinks. I don't get out drinking very much anymore but was looking at reviews of places and came across the Lemon and Duke- anyone been any good? Work group of all ages so no need to be too hip.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 pm 

Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

How does one do this?

I had one on Sunday night and was done after that

Last edited by Ulsters Red Hand on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
A girl leaving work next month and organising a night out in town, a bit food and drinks. I don't get out drinking very much anymore but was looking at reviews of places and came across the Lemon and Duke- anyone been any good? Work group of all ages so no need to be too hip.

That's Heaslips place opposite the back entrance to Davy Byrnes ?

Went in for a drink once or twice when it opened first, and it seemed to be popular with the females. Food looked like your standard fish/chicken/burger/steak options. Looked like a young crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

How does one do this?

It was an all day session so "night" is stretching it I guess. Had one at ~5.30, one at ~9 and one at ~3. I don't recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

How does one do this?

I had one on Sunday night and was done after that

bulimia.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:53 pm 

Sorry; that's rude

Last edited by alliswell on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:54 pm 

Diego wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

How does one do this?

It was an all day session so "night" is stretching it I guess. Had one at ~5.30, one at ~9 and one at ~3. I don't recommend it.

I don't know whether to be impressed or disgusted, or both

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:59 pm 

Kebabs are great.

Best ones from Pasha on Dorset Street (have to lay off them for a while), some amount of food if you sit in (or get delivery tbf, they don't assemble the kebab). Iskanders pretty good too, and Passion4Food on Clanbrassil Street. But I'd never be down that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 pm 

Diego wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Diego wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:

How does one do this?

I suspect that the source of your illness the following day may not have been the three kebabs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:31 pm 

Ate in Delahunt last night. Sides weren't great but everything else was really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:14 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

That's Heaslips place opposite the back entrance to Davy Byrnes ?

Went in for a drink once or twice when it opened first, and it seemed to be popular with the females. Food looked like your standard fish/chicken/burger/steak options. Looked like a young crowd.

I believe so didn't know that when looking it up, sounds like it will us then :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

Went to 777 on Friday. First time I've been there in yonks.

Delicious food but €140 between 3 with only a beer and a cocktail. My Saffer friend who is visiting almost had a stroke.

As an aside, took a tour to Newgrange and Hill Of Tara on Saturday - amazing trip. The OPW have Newgrange very well run. Big motorcade of Chinese dignitaries, and what looked like special branch, rocked up just as we were leaving. Felt bad for all those waiting behind at the visitor centre.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:

Delicious food but €140 between 3 with only a beer and a cocktail. My Saffer friend who is visiting almost had a stroke.

As an aside, took a tour to Newgrange and Hill Of Tara on Saturday - amazing trip. The OPW have Newgrange very well run. Big motorcade of Chinese dignitaries, and what looked like special branch, rocked up just as we were leaving. Felt bad for all those waiting behind at the visitor centre.

Went there just to drink tequila one time. The prices are outrageous. And any Mexicans I know don't rate it too highly.

Did something similar myself a few weeks ago (Dowth I think it was). Nice day out

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

hermie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Went there just to drink tequila one time. The prices are outrageous. And any Mexicans I know don't rate it too highly.

Did something similar myself a few weeks ago (Dowth I think it was). Nice day out

Yeah my Mexican friend says it's not too authentic and from my own experience I'd agree with him. Nice though, but won't go back in a hurry due to prices.

He does however say the tacos in El Grito at Merchant's Arch are the best in Dublin, and basically as good as you'll get in Mexico City. And I'm inclined to agree.

Last edited by Bullettyme on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 pm 

On the subject of "Mexican" food, there's some queue for that new Boojum by the canal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
On the subject of "Mexican" food, there's some queue for that new Boojum by the canal.

Nordie tacos :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 am 

paddyor wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Diego wrote:
Best place for trad in the city centre?

And if someone says The Temple Bar I'll cyber-slap them.

Hughes is actually better. Less toruists and a lock in. Saw Brendan Gleeson playing fiddle there last Sunday.

Hughes' still do lock-ins? They don't even open early doors, these days. Good to hear they're still doing well.

I was in there until 330 Sunday. My friends cousin is a piper and he said he's beeen in there until 530 some nights.

Cobblestone is always wedged with tourists and the music doesn't carry at all. You have to get right up the front.

I've been in some great sessions in Hughes including a few lock-ins (but they were 15 years ago). For the last few years it appears empty when I pass by.
I generally manage to get a seat at the bar in front of the musicians, or just around the corner from there, so I am not too worried about how far the music carries. As the music is always reliable in the Cobblestone in pisses on Hughes, but I wouldn't mind another lock in there some night.
btw a musician friend of mine told me he was locked into the Cobblestone after i met him there one evening, so they are not unknown there. Neilidh and my mate were playing that night, so you more than likely need the owner's rellies there before it happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 pm 

rugbot 2.0 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

Nordie tacos :uhoh:

Best around :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm 

Went to AJ's diner in Crossgar for the first time in years over the weekend, it is great. Nothing fancy, just very nice food :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm 

Knowth is very impressive, who was it recommended the Long dock in Carrigaholt?
Not bad at all but a bit of a trip for very good pub grub.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm 

We were in Achill for the weekend and stayed in the Bervie in Keel. It's a converted coastguard station right on the beach, and is a great place to stay. We ate there on the Saturday evening and I had the best lamb ever. It was a roast rump of lamb served pink, with perfectly cooked simple veg, and a fabulous jus. I'd really recommend it as a place to stay and eat.

Ate in the Chalet in Keel the first night, and it was a mixed bag. I had mussels followed by black sole and scallops, and it was not great, but Mrs L had the crab starter, which was huge and superb, and the best scampi I've seen in years. Stick with that and you'll be a very happy camper.

The weather was fcuking brutal, with cloud sitting right down on the island, and temperaratures of 13/14 degrees. Still a great place to visit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm 

Randomly went to French Paradox in Ballsbridge on Saturday evening. Not a bad little spot at all. Menu is a little small if you were going for dinner but definitely a nice relaxed lunch and wine option

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 pm 

I went to the skipper in ventry at the weekend, there are better fish restaurants around but I like its ramshackle charm, plus when the sun is out it's a great spot to sit outside. All helped by a few bottles of good wine

http://m.ds-collection.com/en/wines/380 ... la-garenne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm 

i dont like kebabs. dont bother eating when drunk any more. lessens the hangover in a big way[/quote]
I had three kebabs in one night a few weeks back. God I was dying the next day.[/quote]

How does one do this?[/quote]
It was an all day session so "night" is stretching it I guess. Had one at ~5.30, one at ~9 and one at ~3. I don't recommend it.[/quote]

I suspect that the source of your illness the following day may not have been the three kebabs.[/quote]

That depends if he had shish or donner, never have the donner. Always go shish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:04 pm 

Ate in Pickle last night, and the place was jammers.

Food was really excellent. Much more Indian than the Pakistani style of Kinara.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

I thought it was decidedly average when I was there. Nice starters but the mains are no better than what you'd get in the likes of Diwali or Jewel in the Crown.
I won't be rushing back there.
If he's trying to have an Irish version of Benares, he hasn't a chance in hell of emulating Atul Kochar.
Kathmandu Kitchen would be my choice ahead of Pickle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:04 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I thought it was decidedly average when I was there. Nice starters but the mains are no better than what you'd get in the likes of Diwali or Jewel in the Crown.
I won't be rushing back there.

If he's trying to have an Irish version of Benares, he hasn't a chance in hell of emulating Atul Kochar.
Kathmandu Kitchen would be my choice ahead of Pickle.

I thought the exact same and I thought it was overpriced to boot. Ananda is better imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm 

Atul Kochner had a share in Ananda funnily enough. Jewel in the crown is shite, Jaipur/Amanda/Chakra/Pickle are in a different league. My favourite cheapo traditional "Indian" (not really an Indian) is Meghna in Terenure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 pm 

I'm no Indian expert (and am not a fan of spicy food in general) but for me the starters in Pickle are really top notch. The mains seem to be more boring so I can see why others take issue with them. I reckon I'm just going to go for two starters from here on in.

We've always had great service there and it has a nice atmosphere. One of our current favourites.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 pm 

Stats, the starters are indeed very good.
The mains are incredibly disappointing. They are no better than standard "curry house" fare and vastly overpriced for what you get.

Duff - Jewel in the Crown is a bog standard curry house and Pickle's main courses are of the same standard.
The likes of Jaipur and Anandas are far superior to Pickle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 pm 

Had lunch in Etto yesterday, after visiting the refurbed national gallery and the Vermeer exhibition.

The lunch was excellent, as always, and at €20 for two courses is pushing The Green Hen for best value lunch in Dublin.

The refurbed Gallery is spectacular.

The Vermeer exhibition is a must; I doubt any of us will see 10 Vermeers in the same room again in our lifetimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 pm 

That's the most Cammy post ever. :lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 pm 

ok so the gf is over for a long weekend...

Where do I take her for munchies .... and what is there to actually do in town....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 pm 

O'Neills on Suffolk Street for the diddee-eye music and a carvery.
What more could she want?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next