Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2996 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:29 am 

Not sure if there is a thread for something like this already as the search functionality is still fecked. Could be a handy resource for finding good places to eat and drink.

I'll start. The missus and I are considering going to Bison Bar in temple bar for dinner this weekend. Anybody been before and if so, any recommendations? Is it worth venturing into temple bar for this or are there better options?

Last edited by HighKingLeinster on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:59 am 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Not sure if there is a thread for something like this already as the search functionality is still fecked. Could be a handy resource for finding good places to eat and drink.

I'll start. The missus and I are considering going to Bison Bar in temple bar for dinner this weekend. Anybody been before and if so, any recommendations? Is it worth venturing into temple bar for this or are there better options?

Isn't Bison Bar a whiskey bar? They do a good pulled pork sandwich at lunch mind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

Isn't Bison Bar a whiskey bar? They do a good pulled pork sandwich at lunch mind

not sure if its a whiskey but happy days if it is. Meant to be a decent BBQ place which is why we are going. Been to Pitt Bros which is ok but want to try somewhere different. Couple of options in Ranelagh as well but not been to either

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

not sure if its a whiskey but happy days if it is. Meant to be a decent BBQ place which is why we are going. Been to Pitt Bros which is ok but want to try somewhere different. Couple of options in Ranelagh as well but not been to either

I've been to bison bar. The BBQ is good but it's a very rough and ready affair, they have plastic cutlery etc. It's an american themed whiskey bar so outside in the mini courtyard they have stools with saddles as seats. It's a good spot for a hungover brunch/lunch but I wouldn't go for dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

I've been to bison bar. The BBQ is good but it's a very rough and ready affair, they have plastic cutlery etc. It's an american themed whiskey bar so outside in the mini courtyard they have stools with saddles as seats. It's a good spot for a hungover brunch/lunch but I wouldn't go for dinner.

cheers :thumbup: -may have to re-evaluate our options so

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:15 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

What info do you want on Ranelagh eateries ? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

I too am on the hunt for the perfect BBQ spot in Dublin.

Has the Aussie BBQ place re-opened? Anyone know what it's like? I'm guessing it's more of a casual takeaway affair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 pm 

The Pigs Ear in Nassau Street is particularly good. Mind you, I've been too much recently so need another spot. Any recommendations for something similar?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:21 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
The Pigs Ear in Nassau Street is particularly good. Mind you, I've been too much recently so need another spot. Any recommendations for something similar?

Try The Green Hen on Wicklow Street, La Mére Zou on Stephens Green, or l'Gueuleton on Fade Street. Although the latter is a bit trendy and can be difficult to get a seat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:

Has the Aussie BBQ place re-opened? Anyone know what it's like? I'm guessing it's more of a casual takeaway affair.

There's a Brazillian BBQ place in the process of opening in Ranelagh beside Redmonds. Apparently the grill is a special piece of kit imported direct from Brazil. One of those places where they carve different types of meat at your table.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:25 pm 

MrJonno wrote:

It's hardly a BBQ joint though?

Nice grub however.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm 

[/quote]

Has the Aussie BBQ place re-opened? Anyone know what it's like? I'm guessing it's more of a casual takeaway affair.[/quote]

its good cheap and cheerful bbq fare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:36 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
There's a Brazillian BBQ place in the process of opening in Ranelagh beside Redmonds. Apparently the grill is a special piece of kit imported direct from Brazil. One of those places where they carve different types of meat at your table.

I was wondering what was going there, figures it'd be a restaurant!

Have you been to eatery 120's replacement? If so, what's it like?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:40 pm 

Speaking of Brazilian, was in Sabor a few months back, was unreal :thumbup:

They did a two-for-one voucher too so not massively expensive, though still not cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm 

danthefan wrote:

They did a two-for-one voucher too so not massively expensive, though still not cheap.

Used to be better believe it or not!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:49 pm 

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I was wondering what was going there, figures it'd be a restaurant!

Have you been to eatery 120's replacement? If so, what's it like?

I've been there a few times, the first soon after it opened, and the service was a bit all over the place. Been OK the other times. Food is standard middleclass neighbourhood restaurant stuff, although she sometimes has some very nice 28 day matured steaks, and old breed pork supplied by The Village Butcher accross the road.

Uncle Fester wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Used to be better believe it or not!

Do they do a normal menu or is it just the tasting menu they have on their website? I have to say I've never heard of it but the reviews online are all great.

binge90 wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

It's hardly a BBQ joint though?

Nice grub however.

Asador beside Smyths on Haddington Road has a proper BBQ grill, quite an impressive piece of kit. They do a good value early bird but their food is just okay - nothing amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:52 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

Try The Green Hen on Wicklow Street, La Mére Zou on Stephens Green, or l'Gueuleton on Fade Street. Although the latter is a bit trendy and can be difficult to get a seat.

L'gueleton is a casual dining place for hipsters - you can't book a table. I'd place it a tier below Pig's Ear but I do like it I have to say. I've only been to Pig's Ear once and though the food was daycent, I thought the room really lacked ambience. One Pico and the Greenhouse would both be excellent but you pay for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

danthefan wrote:

The Buenos aires grill is not up to much,had a twofor like yourself no atmosphere like eating in the lobby of an hotel.
Inexpensive is all it has going for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
Do they do a normal menu or is it just the tasting menu they have on their website? I have to say I've never heard of it but the reviews online are all great.

They barely even have a menu, you can specify you're a vegetarian or whatever but then you just get what you're given.

Duff Paddy wrote:
Asador beside Smyths on Haddington Road has a proper BBQ grill, quite an impressive piece of kit. They do a good value early bird but their food is just okay - nothing amazing.

Have had that, though it was grand for what you paid. The wings were lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:

They barely even have a menu, you can specify you're a vegetarian or whatever but then you just get what you're given.

:thumbup: Like going home to mammy.

camroc1 wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

that aussie place and the butchers bbq joints (although they may be rathgar).

Are they any good or are they too low brow for you :P

HighKingLeinster wrote:

The Sussex restaurant above O'Briens on Leeson Bridge is really good :thumbup:

HighKingLeinster wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

The former is Rathgar too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:57 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
danthefan wrote:

The Buenos aires grill is not up to much,had a twofor like yourself no atmosphere like eating in the lobby of an hotel.

was disappointed with Buenos Aires when I went. Meat wasn't great and overdone in most cases :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
danthefan wrote:

was disappointed with Buenos Aires when I went. Meat wasn't great and overdone in most cases :thumbdown:

fudge that, never going there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:01 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
hermie wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

The Aussie place is in Rathgar, and 'though I haven't been, I've heard good things about it.

The Butchers Grill is a steakhouse, possibly the best in Dublin. Not cheap, though. I've been numerous times .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm 

For my money, Pinocchio is the best in Ranelagh. Cue Camroc in 5, 4, 3,...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

They do a lovely ham and cheese toastie in Smyths.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:08 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
]
The Aussie place is in Rathgar, and 'though I haven't been, I've heard good things about it.

The Butchers Grill is a steakhouse, possibly the best in Dublin. Not cheap, though. I've been numerous times .

Bit globby-esque :P

Might go with the Aussie place for now. This is just a casual night out rather than going to a proper restaurant. Must check out the butchers grill some time though

ZappaMan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

pah real Ranelagh heads (you know the weirdos who pronounce it as Ren-el-ah) go to Birchalls

Duff Paddy wrote:

Not even that long. :D
CErtainly one of the best, and one of the few authentic Italians in Dublin. Was in there one night when Italian TV were in doing a feature on it.

Best is probably Brioche for food, or Wild Goose Grill for food and ambiance.

Edit. And forgot about La Reserve, a little gem of a French restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
]

Bit globby-esque :P

Might go with the Aussie place for now. This is just a casual night out rather than going to a proper restaurant. Must check out the butchers grill some time though

There's better in Rathgar - Manifestino is decent and Il Divo is actually very good

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

pah real Ranelagh heads (you know the weirdos who pronounce it as Ren-el-ah) go to Birchalls

Ren-leh, you blow-in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

CErtainly one of the best, and one of the few authentic Italians in Dublin. Was in there one night when Italian TV were in doing a feature on it.

I agree on Wild Goose, old school simple good food.
I have never been to Brioche and never will eat in a place with such a stupid name.
Where is La Reserve, I have never heard of that one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:12 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Ren-leh, you blow-in.

Cammy tell me you don't pronounce it with an "e" like those spanners

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:15 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

I agree on Wild Goose, old school simple good food.
I have never been to Brioche and never will eat in a place with such a stupid name.
Where is La Reserve, I have never heard of that one.

Small place, beside edelweiss(the breakfast club as once was).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:16 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Ren-leh, you blow-in.

That's spenners to Cemmy...

Last edited by redderneck on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Ren-leh, you blow-in.

I'd get the arse slagged off me, if I did. It seems to be peculiar to Old Gonzagians.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2996 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next