Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 83  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 4467
Nolanator wrote:
When it comes to the restaurant scene in Ranelagh, certainly.


Probably more decent restaurants in Ranelagh than NI as a whole

Nothing can beat Ramore/The Mermaid


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38983
Boxcar Ira wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Wow must be making money hand over fist, it's never empty. One of the very few in Ranelagh I've not tried.

The Brazillian BBQ place Rio Rodizio has closed down and Savills are now looking for € 135k pa rent for it !

Very difficult for any restaurant, I'd have thought especially a new non-franchise.


Rent in Ranelagh is becoming prohibitive for new independent places. It's why so many places are unexpectedly failing and you still have a number of empty units. Rathmines is starting to wipe the floor with it.

Rathmines is following Ranelagh upmarket - Fallon and Byrne is due to open over the summer FFS.

I think Richmond Street/Camden Street/Wexford Street/Aungier ST is where the better independent restaurants are now opening up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38983
rfurlong wrote:
I've said it before on here, but La Bodega is the absolute dogs bollix in Ranelagh. Just gets better and better.

Booked in for this evening. :smug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6550
Boxcar Ira wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
I've said it before on here, but La Bodega is the absolute dogs bollix in Ranelagh. Just gets better and better.


Ah g'way. Awful take on Spanish cuisine. Just garlic and oil on mediocre food.


I think you are doing it a disservice, but to each their own .... I fecking love it. Superb wines and seriously good value.

http://www.guides.ie/recommendations/la ... as-y-vinos

I go to the Wild Goose often enough and know Kevin and the gang in there well. Its seldom I'd come out of it after a dinner and a bottle of wine for two, with change out of €160. I typically walk out of La Bodega having spent approx €80


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14672
Yeah I agree. Some great spots now or coming to Rathmines and that town area.

Still Ranelagh, but Mima at the Beechwood Luas stop is the best place for a casual bite. Butchers Grill is my favourite for something a bit more substantial though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14672
rfurlong wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
I've said it before on here, but La Bodega is the absolute dogs bollix in Ranelagh. Just gets better and better.


Ah g'way. Awful take on Spanish cuisine. Just garlic and oil on mediocre food.


I think you are doing it a disservice, but to each their own .... I fecking love it. Superb wines and seriously good value.

http://www.guides.ie/recommendations/la ... as-y-vinos

I go to the Wild Goose often enough and know Kevin and the gang in there well. Its seldom I'd come out of it after a dinner and a bottle of wine for two, with change out of €160. I typically walk out of La Bodega having spent approx €80


Love the Wild Goose alright though haven't been in a while. I know you would drop more there than La Bodega but it's definitely worth it. I'm just not impressed by what you get for your EUR80 in Bodega


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am
Posts: 4309
I love Ranelagh, cracking wee village vibe in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6550
camroc1 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
I've said it before on here, but La Bodega is the absolute dogs bollix in Ranelagh. Just gets better and better.

Booked in for this evening. :smug:


myself and the missus typically have the mixed meats and cheeses as a course and then get some tapas dropped out during/afterwards ..... the Gambas con Chorizo (?) and the scallop with ham are deadly .... as is the chicken, rice and black pudding dish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38983
rfurlong wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
I've said it before on here, but La Bodega is the absolute dogs bollix in Ranelagh. Just gets better and better.

Booked in for this evening. :smug:


myself and the missus typically have the mixed meats and cheeses as a course and then get some tapas dropped out during/afterwards ..... the Gambas con Chorizo (?) and the scallop with ham are deadly .... as is the chicken, rice and black pudding dish

We normally start with a plate of the Iberico.

My favourites are the kidneys in Sherry, and the Spanish meatballs in a chilli sauce. The Chorizo on its own is very good as well.

And its not a Spanish Restaurant, it's a fancy Tapas Bar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23145
crouchy wrote:
I love Ranelagh, cracking wee village vibe in it.


Ranelagh is an utter shithole without NightOwls and Jasons

just Yuppie scum everywhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14672
camroc1 wrote:
And its not a Spanish Restaurant, it's a fancy Tapas Bar.


It's not that either. But each to their own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38983
waguser wrote:
crouchy wrote:
I love Ranelagh, cracking wee village vibe in it.


Ranelagh is an utter shithole without NightOwls and Jasons

just Yuppie scum everywhere

Just wait until the LUAS cross city is connected - you can revel in the company of scummers again.

Always remember that the Victorian townships of Dublin : Rathmines, Pembroke, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey on the Southside, and Clontarf and Glasnevin on the Northside, were originally built to keep the scummers out (and the rates low).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am
Posts: 4309
waguser wrote:
crouchy wrote:
I love Ranelagh, cracking wee village vibe in it.


Ranelagh is an utter shithole without NightOwls and Jasons

just Yuppie scum everywhere


Aren't you from de naaaartside?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3845
camroc1 wrote:
Always remember that the Victorian townships of Dublin : Rathmines, Pembroke, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey on the Southside, and Clontarf and Glasnevin on the Northside, were originally built to keep the scummers out (and the rates low).



I assume you mean the fancy houses on Sorrento Terrace etc. Dalkey was a rural fishing village in Vicorian times and until well into the 20th century.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23145
crouchy wrote:
waguser wrote:
crouchy wrote:
I love Ranelagh, cracking wee village vibe in it.


Ranelagh is an utter shithole without NightOwls and Jasons

just Yuppie scum everywhere


Aren't you from de naaaartside?


back in the Day Ranelagh was redolent with rale Dubs

Now it's just Culchies and Rock boys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27893
Location: The garden county
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
When it comes to the restaurant scene in Ranelagh, certainly.


Probably more decent restaurants in Ranelagh than NI as a whole

Nothing can beat Ramore/The Mermaid


Been to Slim's Kitchen on Lisburn road a fair bit recently. Definitely like the food there.

Had lunch in Three Levels on University road on Wednesday. A gang of 20 of us were seated at those units where you can view the chef cooking your food in front of you. The chef was brilliant.


Speaking of Ranelagh, Stranmillis has that kind of vibe going, especially now that there are fewer undergrad scum around.


Last edited by Nolanator on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am
Posts: 4309
Nolanator wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
When it comes to the restaurant scene in Ranelagh, certainly.


Probably more decent restaurants in Ranelagh than NI as a whole

Nothing can beat Ramore/The Mermaid


Been to Slim's Kitchen on Lisburn road a fair bit recently. Definitely like the food there.

Had lunch in Three Levels on University road on Wednesday. A gang of 20 of us were seated at those units where you can view the chef cooking your food in front of you. The chef was brilliant.

Tried Sphinx in stranmillis yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27893
Location: The garden county
Yep, tis grand. Haven't really been getting takeaway, though, so only been there the once.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 8167
iarmhiman wrote:
I would get some dinner at Klaw Poke on Capel St.

Book an area of the Liquor rooms and stay there for the evening.



gay


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 4467
Nolanator wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
When it comes to the restaurant scene in Ranelagh, certainly.


Probably more decent restaurants in Ranelagh than NI as a whole

Nothing can beat Ramore/The Mermaid


Been to Slim's Kitchen on Lisburn road a fair bit recently. Definitely like the food there.

Had lunch in Three Levels on University road on Wednesday. A gang of 20 of us were seated at those units where you can view the chef cooking your food in front of you. The chef was brilliant.


Speaking of Ranelagh, Stranmillis has that kind of vibe going, especially now that there are fewer undergrad scum around.



Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27893
Location: The garden county
:lol:

I make sure to have my courgetti, quinoa and avocado. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 4467
Nolanator wrote:
:lol:

I make sure to have my courgetti, quinoa and avocado. :nod:


I was in the one in Belfast once, they basically had hedges for seats

Plus it's a rip off for a student


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27893
Location: The garden county
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
:lol:

I make sure to have my courgetti, quinoa and avocado. :nod:


I was in the one in Belfast once, they basically had hedges for seats

Plus it's a rip off for a student


Keeps out the riff-raff. :thumbup:

Yeah, they have fake grass on a few of the walls, don't understand that part.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28669
Boxcar Ira wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
And its not a Spanish Restaurant, it's a fancy Tapas Bar.


It's not that either. But each to their own.


Ohhh served by boxy ouch. Real tapas/pinchos is different he's right but it's still a good cheap and cheerful joint. But fudge ranelagh. Town or bust. Or bellagios in Terenure which I should hate but is f**king great as a neighbourhood everyday spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 482
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
Was I'd dublin for a German stag at the weekend, zaytoon was good for 4 am kebabs! Not up to mare street standard in hackney, but I was pleasantly suprised. Certainly beat the 10 euro Chinese we had earlier in the night at great George's street.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36378
james garner wrote:
Was I'd dublin for a German stag at the weekend, zaytoon was good for 4 am kebabs! Not up to mare street standard in hackney, but I was pleasantly suprised. Certainly beat the 10 euro Chinese we had earlier in the night at great George's street.


That place only has one purpose: To feed one who is totally drunk.

I've eaten out of Charlies both drunk and sober. Delicious when drunk, worse than disgusting when sober.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 15343
iarmhiman wrote:
james garner wrote:
Was I'd dublin for a German stag at the weekend, zaytoon was good for 4 am kebabs! Not up to mare street standard in hackney, but I was pleasantly suprised. Certainly beat the 10 euro Chinese we had earlier in the night at great George's street.


That place only has one purpose: To feed one who is totally drunk.

I've eaten out of Charlies both drunk and sober. Delicious when drunk, worse than disgusting when sober.

This post is 100% truth.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 482
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
iarmhiman wrote:
james garner wrote:
Was I'd dublin for a German stag at the weekend, zaytoon was good for 4 am kebabs! Not up to mare street standard in hackney, but I was pleasantly suprised. Certainly beat the 10 euro Chinese we had earlier in the night at great George's street.


That place only has one purpose: To feed one who is totally drunk.

I've eaten out of Charlies both drunk and sober. Delicious when drunk, worse than disgusting when sober.


Wasn't delicious, it was still early enough and the second day of drinking when no matter how much you drink you just seem to be getting rid of the hangover rather than achieving drunkenness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:34 am
Posts: 4309
Zaytoon kebabs are rubbish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36378
crouchy wrote:
Zaytoon kebabs are rubbish.


i dont like kebabs. dont bother eating when drunk any more. lessens the hangover in a big way


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 15343
iarmhiman wrote:
crouchy wrote:
Zaytoon kebabs are rubbish.


i dont like kebabs. dont bother eating when drunk any more. lessens the hangover in a big way

I had three kebabs in one night a few weeks back. God I was dying the next day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 482
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
Also had 'steak on a stone' at the poitín still in rathcoole, which is pretty decent for pub grub. Bit of an old school concept but they do it well. You get some raw steak at the start and then get to run through, rare, medium rare etc by the time you finish.

One thing I have noticed since moving here about regular Irish pubs (not gastro pubs) is they do standard pub food much better than their English equivalents, it's like they care about the customer or some such concept.

All the kerry pubs do a mean toasted special


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 36378
james garner wrote:
Also had 'steak on a stone' at the poitín still in rathcoole, which is pretty decent for pub grub. Bit of an old school concept but they do it well. You get some raw steak at the start and then get to run through, rare, medium rare etc by the time you finish.

One thing I have noticed since moving here about regular Irish pubs (not gastro pubs) is they do standard pub food much better than their English equivalents, it's like they care about the customer or some such concept.

All the kerry pubs do a mean toasted special


Always thought pub grub in England was quite good. Love the bangers and mash on the enormous Yorkshire pudding. You don't get that here


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 482
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
iarmhiman wrote:
james garner wrote:
Also had 'steak on a stone' at the poitín still in rathcoole, which is pretty decent for pub grub. Bit of an old school concept but they do it well. You get some raw steak at the start and then get to run through, rare, medium rare etc by the time you finish.

One thing I have noticed since moving here about regular Irish pubs (not gastro pubs) is they do standard pub food much better than their English equivalents, it's like they care about the customer or some such concept.

All the kerry pubs do a mean toasted special


Always thought pub grub in England was quite good. Love the bangers and mash on the enormous Yorkshire pudding. You don't get that here


That's a fair point, I think I am biased by the fact there are too many pubs in England, even in villages, owned by big pub cos or regional brewers that do awful food, Ireland has mostly independent pubs so the landlord is free to try things out, plus most pubs I have been to here are in kerry, so have to work for the tourist dollar. There are some great pubs doing classic pub grub in england


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10102
Location: Watson city, MN
iarmhiman wrote:
james garner wrote:
Also had 'steak on a stone' at the poitín still in rathcoole, which is pretty decent for pub grub. Bit of an old school concept but they do it well. You get some raw steak at the start and then get to run through, rare, medium rare etc by the time you finish.

One thing I have noticed since moving here about regular Irish pubs (not gastro pubs) is they do standard pub food much better than their English equivalents, it's like they care about the customer or some such concept.

All the kerry pubs do a mean toasted special


Always thought pub grub in England was quite good. Love the bangers and mash on the enormous Yorkshire pudding. You don't get that here

It may be he's not yet seen the worst of Irish pub food much as you or I wouldn't have seen the worst of English pub food.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 482
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
alliswell wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
james garner wrote:
Also had 'steak on a stone' at the poitín still in rathcoole, which is pretty decent for pub grub. Bit of an old school concept but they do it well. You get some raw steak at the start and then get to run through, rare, medium rare etc by the time you finish.

One thing I have noticed since moving here about regular Irish pubs (not gastro pubs) is they do standard pub food much better than their English equivalents, it's like they care about the customer or some such concept.

All the kerry pubs do a mean toasted special


Always thought pub grub in England was quite good. Love the bangers and mash on the enormous Yorkshire pudding. You don't get that here

It may be he's not yet seen the worst of Irish pub food much as you or I wouldn't have seen the worst of English pub food.


This is likely true


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8007
I think it's fair to say pub food is one area where we lord it over the Brits . I've had some dreadful experiences eating English pub food and do my best to avoid it while over there now. Too often in the past I've gone into a pub and had frozen or reheated grub thrown at me. They usually make you prepay at the bar too meaning poor service and problems with recourse if you've any issue with the food . You'll pay for what you get in Ireland, but thankfully both food and service are usually of a much higher standard . I don't think we appreciate just how good we have it here


Edit: obviously I'm generalising here, there's plenty of independent pubs in England that do good food just as much as there's touristy pubs in Ireland that serve awful tripe. In general though I think we demand higher standards here and the competition is far greater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 9768
Diego wrote:
Best place for trad in the city centre?

And if someone says The Temple Bar I'll cyber-slap them.

Hughes is actually better. Less toruists and a lock in. Saw Brendan Gleeson playing fiddle there last Sunday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 8167
Cobblestone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20633
paddyor wrote:
Diego wrote:
Best place for trad in the city centre?

And if someone says The Temple Bar I'll cyber-slap them.

Hughes is actually better. Less toruists and a lock in. Saw Brendan Gleeson playing fiddle there last Sunday.

Hughes' still do lock-ins? They don't even open early doors, these days. Good to hear they're still doing well.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 83  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, Armchair_Superstar, backrow, Bing [Bot], Crazy Ed, croyals, duke, feckwanker, Gospel, Gwenno, Hawaiian_shirts_rule, Joost, Laurent, Leffe, maverickmak, nardol, obelixtim, penguin, Podge, Raggs, Sards, SASP, slick, ukjim, unseenwork, zt1903 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group