Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165
 Post subject: Re: Game Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

bok_viking wrote:
I wish there could be a remake of Dune. Its sad how RTS seem to be out of favor . Would love go get something new similar to Dune or C&C or Age of Empires. RTS can really take hours out of my life very easily.

Supposed to be a new AOE coming out isn't there?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 pm 

Total War is still going strong in fairness.
Better than it's ever been imo with the Warhammer ones, though I haven't played the new Three Kingdoms.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:16 pm 

Three Kingdoms is great. The heroes give it loads of personality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 pm 

Been playing a bit of Anno 1800 recently, it's very good as well imo. Part city builder & part RTS, combat is all naval.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:55 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Been playing a bit of Anno 1800 recently, it's very good as well imo. Part city builder & part RTS, combat is all naval.

Discovered Anno games recently. I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 pm 

Not quite a game review but managed to get hold of a Thrustmaster TX ffb from a friend who doesn't play much anymore.
Looking at wheel stands, or just getting a desk of sorts I can wheel in front of the tv/Xbox.

Never used a FFB wheel before, very excited.

Hope it works on the next gen X console, but I got it cheap so still a win even if not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 am 

Risteard wrote:
bok_viking wrote:
I wish there could be a remake of Dune. Its sad how RTS seem to be out of favor . Would love go get something new similar to Dune or C&C or Age of Empires. RTS can really take hours out of my life very easily.

Supposed to be a new AOE coming out isn't there?

Starcraft 2 is excellent. Little hope for new AoE as makers don’t have much of a reputation. AoE3 was weak anyway. AoE2 remake looks nice tho

Company of Heroes is supposed to be one of the best RTS’ ever. I need to try it. I have also never tried any of the Total war games. They’re RTS?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm 

Sort've? I guess it depends on your definition.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Well they’re supposed to be good in any case so I’ll try them eventually. Anyone want to recommend a starting place? Most go cheap on steam quite often.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:37 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Well they’re supposed to be good in any case so I’ll try them eventually. Anyone want to recommend a starting place? Most go cheap on steam quite often.

TW games are a mix of turn based strategy and RTS, it's up to each player what he chooses to focus on. They've been going on since forever and cover a lot of history, I'd go for Medieval 2 to start.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

TW games are a mix of turn based strategy and RTS, it's up to each player what he chooses to focus on. They've been going on since forever and cover a lot of history, I'd go for Medieval 2 to start.

Shogun games are good.
Depends what era of history you like really.

My favourite are the warhammer ones, think they're the best mechanically really.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

Rome was supposed to be good I thought?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:54 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:

It's great, and it's cheap, but it's dated a long time now.
Rome II was a disaster when it came out, but they've patched/fixed it significantly I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 am 

I've spent most of my video game time on TW games.

Original Rome is a great starting point, a lot simpler and straightforward, plus modern PC will handle it like it's Pacman. back when it was new I really f**ked my pc with it(you can play with graphic mods and upgrades). Medieval 2 is a classic. last of the old Gen TW games and one of the best strategies to date. Only way to play those is if you start with them because it's difficult to go back after you've played later titles.

Rome 2 is good. after all the updating and dlcs it is a decent game especially if you like that part of history.

Attila is an improved version of Rome 2, a lot of people don't like the time period so it doesn't get as much love but personally, I liked it. Also, there is an amazing mod being developed for this one that is going to be as good if not better than most official games. called Medieval Kingdoms Total War, supposed to be the unofficial successor to Medieval 2.

Shogun is a lot of fun, as far as gameplay goes probably my favorite, the variety is low ofc because it's only Japan but don't let that distract you from the fun.

That's where I stopped. Never played Warhammer and 3K or that other one about British isles, but people like it so they must be good too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 am 

FullbackAce wrote:
I've spent most of my video game time on TW games.

Original Rome is a great starting point, a lot simpler and straightforward, plus modern PC will handle it like it's Pacman. back when it was new I really f**ked my pc with it(you can play with graphic mods and upgrades). Medieval 2 is a classic. last of the old Gen TW games and one of the best strategies to date. Only way to play those is if you start with them because it's difficult to go back after you've played later titles.

Rome 2 is good. after all the updating and dlcs it is a decent game especially if you like that part of history.

Attila is an improved version of Rome 2, a lot of people don't like the time period so it doesn't get as much love but personally, I liked it. Also, there is an amazing mod being developed for this one that is going to be as good if not better than most official games. called Medieval Kingdoms Total War, supposed to be the unofficial successor to Medieval 2.

Shogun is a lot of fun, as far as gameplay goes probably my favorite, the variety is low ofc because it's only Japan but don't let that distract you from the fun.

That's where I stopped. Never played Warhammer and 3K or that other one about British isles, but people like it so they must be good too.

Cheers :thumbup:

Rome and medieval 2 looking likely openers. I have tremendous patience for old games so Rome may win out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Rome II was a disaster when it came out, but they've patched/fixed it significantly I think.

Start with Medieval II with the expansions and download the "The Third Age Total War" MOD, best thing in PC gaming

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Start with Medieval II with the expansions and download the "The Third Age Total War" MOD, best thing in PC gaming

Completely Forgot about the third age. Definitely up for the best mod of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:38 am 

I really don't see why you'd go back to the original Rome if you wanted to get into Total War. It's fully 15 years old now and will play like it. Go for a modern one, Shogun 2 is very well regarded, the Warhammer ones are good, and the most recent one Three Kingdoms is apparently great but I haven't played it myself

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm 

I'd recommend the original medieval total war.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 am 

danthefan wrote:
I really don't see why you'd go back to the original Rome if you wanted to get into Total War. It's fully 15 years old now and will play like it. Go for a modern one, Shogun 2 is very well regarded, the Warhammer ones are good, and the most recent one Three Kingdoms is apparently great but I haven't played it myself

I get the impression it’s better than the second, and I want to play the time period. If you play the latest ones first then the earlier ones will show their age more. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
danthefan wrote:

I get the impression it’s better than the second, and I want to play the time period. If you play the latest ones first then the earlier ones will show their age more. Does that make sense?

That's just misty eyed at this stage. It was brilliant for its time, I played the hell out of it, but it's not better than the 2nd after the devs have fixed it up. If you're brand new to the series then there's no need to play Rome at all. There's a half dozen better games at least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:53 am 

danthefan wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
danthefan wrote:

That's just misty eyed at this stage. It was brilliant for its time, I played the hell out of it, but it's not better than the 2nd after the devs have fixed it up. If you're brand new to the series then there's no need to play Rome at all. There's a half dozen better games at least.

Righteo, will start elsewhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 pm 

I was a fan of Empire. Good fun but the combat element was very repetitive. The same tactics would would work every time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165