Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Started doing that with traders.

Found the blindfolded fight awkward, but worked out a half decent strategy to get that first kill, then managed to control the fight well enough. Probably going to head back to the graveyard now, see if that's become more manageable.

Haven't actually done that fight yet, looking at it there I shouldn't have any issue given the level I'm at.

Just realised that as well as enchanting every weapon with the ooze barrel I've been carrying, i can buy and make arrows, then enchant them and sell them for a hefty profit.

Suspect there's probably a few crafting opportunities like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 pm 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Found the blindfolded fight awkward, but worked out a half decent strategy to get that first kill, then managed to control the fight well enough. Probably going to head back to the graveyard now, see if that's become more manageable.

Haven't actually done that fight yet, looking at it there I shouldn't have any issue given the level I'm at.

Just realised that as well as enchanting every weapon with the ooze barrel I've been carrying, i can buy and make arrows, then enchant them and sell them for a hefty profit.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:12 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

What difficulty are you on? I'm on classic. Running as fane as main, then red prince, lohse and beast. Thinking about doing a tactician run after with ibn and ellise with lone wolf.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 pm 

Bethesda had a bit of a joke shop e3.
FF7 remake looks bad imo, everything wrong with modern Square games.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 pm 

Outer Worlds looks good, if a little low budget.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:35 pm 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

What difficulty are you on? I'm on classic. Running as fane as main, then red prince, lohse and beast. Thinking about doing a tactician run after with ibn and ellise with lone wolf.

Can't remember but whichever one wasn't being a complete wimp without making it a slog!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 am 

Floppykid wrote:

What looks bad?

Guard Scorpion battle looked intense

You are probably the type of guy who reckons Breath of the Wild is crap as it doesn't require a $2000 Graphics Card to run

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am 

Risteard wrote:
Not a review given its not out yet but seems the best place to discuss. Anyone seen the e3 FF7 trailer?

Really excited for it now. Looks like the battle system won't necessarily be full real time with praises available to choose actions.

Not going near remakes of FF7, FF8 or FFX. Absolute time sinks :lol:

Remember Knights of the Round animation from FF7 took minutes to complete, when paired up with mime to beat the emerald weapon I just remember starting that fight then going out and several hours later it was still going :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 am 

CM11 wrote:
Can't remember but whichever one wasn't being a complete wimp without making it a slog!

Killed the trolls, and can now see how insane the armour scaling is from the lvl 18 ring dripped by one. Very important to have suitable level gear whenever possible.

Trying to be smarter with my skill selection and getting complementary skills forcrowd control and movement. Will eventually remember to start using source skills too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:22 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

What looks bad?

Guard Scorpion battle looked intense

You are probably the type of guy who reckons Breath of the Wild is crap as it doesn't require a $2000 Graphics Card to run

The voice acting seems a bit shit. Also, I don’t believe Nomura has ever been responsible for a truly great game?

My main qualms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 am 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Killed the trolls, and can now see how insane the armour scaling is from the lvl 18 ring dripped by one. Very important to have suitable level gear whenever possible.

Trying to be smarter with my skill selection and getting complementary skills forcrowd control and movement. Will eventually remember to start using source skills too.

Do you use Fane? Using his time warp with Red Prince (my warrior) who has Thick of It, giving him a damage boost. Along with Adrenaline he ends up with 10 action points on his first turn which ends up doing a serious amount of damage.

Also got a good tip a while back to give a shield to my mage (who hardly ever uses his weapon). A point, I think, into warfare and then use Bouncing Shield as well as getting a serious boost to armour.

Other main source skill I use is Fan of Knives. If you have a dagger user, get them into a decent position and they can hit everyone on the battlefield for decent damage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:36 pm 

I use fane as main. I know his source power is meant to be awesome, just forget to use it. So far still focusing pin single targets. Lohse my wizard has had a shield for ages, luckily I've generally found one with bouncing shield as a bonus skill so it means she has some physical damage too.

Got the red prince with sword and shield and maxed leadership, huge resist and dodge bonus is useful.

Then beast with twohander. Got a bit of gear that gives inane initiative boost, so the opening move is normally him jumping or blitzing to casters and walloping them. Fanes ability would be nice on him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 pm 

Raggs wrote:
I use fane as main. I know his source power is meant to be awesome, just forget to use it. So far still focusing pin single targets. Lohse my wizard has had a shield for ages, luckily I've generally found one with bouncing shield as a bonus skill so it means she has some physical damage too.

Got the red prince with sword and shield and maxed leadership, huge resist and dodge bonus is useful.

Then beast with twohander. Got a bit of gear that gives inane initiative boost, so the opening move is normally him jumping or blitzing to casters and walloping them. Fanes ability would be nice on him.

Don't have a two hander, have Sebille as a scoundrel instead. Use Lohse as a summoner plus archer. Do you use summoning? Summon incarnate is a key part of my strategy, they're pretty powerful once you get summoning to 10.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Don't have a two hander, have Sebille as a scoundrel instead. Use Lohse as a summoner plus archer. Do you use summoning? Summon incarnate is a key part of my strategy, they're pretty powerful once you get summoning to 10.

Nope, fane is scoundrel. Lohse is hydro/aero. Have heard that summoning is really strong and it makes sense as if nothing else it's another target.

Guess summon + archer can work very well. Plan on doing lone wolf with ibn and sebille next, might do that on ibn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 pm 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Nope, fane is scoundrel. Lohse is hydro/aero. Have heard that summoning is really strong and it makes sense as if nothing else it's another target.

Guess summon + archer can work very well. Plan on doing lone wolf with ibn and sebille next, might do that on ibn.

I'm a little unsure about the archer aspect of my Lohse. I can do ok damage but when she's using her bow it's mainly to knock down. I find the aoe bow skills a bit messy.

Do you use chicken claw? Makes some fights very easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm 

CM11 wrote:
I'm a little unsure about the archer aspect of my Lohse. I can do ok damage but when she's using her bow it's mainly to knock down. I find the aoe bow skills a bit messy.

I use chicken claw on Fane, generally don't use it too often, since by the time I'm through the armour, I would rather just knock them down, since they're dead next round anyway. I have mainly gone for warfare for him, with some scoundrel, trying to hit a balance. Going to build the warfare skills on him too.

He's got chicken claw, the hammer knockdown skill (knocks down all in a line, he doesn't move), and medusa head for locking down numerous unarmoured mobs. Want to get phoenix dive on him too, maybe blitz, since it always seems to move Beast to the rear for the 2nd blow, I figure that might be a free backstab.

Need to try and sort out my spells on Lohse, want to start combining spell effects to more successfully stun/freeze opponents. Oly problem is that by doing the rain spell, I make all my guys vulnerable to them too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I use chicken claw on Fane, generally don't use it too often, since by the time I'm through the armour, I would rather just knock them down, since they're dead next round anyway. I have mainly gone for warfare for him, with some scoundrel, trying to hit a balance. Going to build the warfare skills on him too.

He's got chicken claw, the hammer knockdown skill (knocks down all in a line, he doesn't move), and medusa head for locking down numerous unarmoured mobs. Want to get phoenix dive on him too, maybe blitz, since it always seems to move Beast to the rear for the 2nd blow, I figure that might be a free backstab.

Need to try and sort out my spells on Lohse, want to start combining spell effects to more successfully stun/freeze opponents. Oly problem is that by doing the rain spell, I make all my guys vulnerable to them too.

I haven't really got a proper mage, mostly because of your final point. I end up doing as much damage to my guys as theirs with most of the useful spells. I have chain lightening and closed circuit which are specific but haven't used them much.

My main aoe that I use sometimes is blood rain and then grasp of the dead.

I find chicken claw useful for the fights with multiple strong enemies. Knocked down doesn't do as much damage as other skills for the characters that have it and chicken claw has the advantage of not being reversible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm 

Quality nerdism here, no wonder I was hopeless at this game, I just charged in and hoped for the best...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:01 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Quality nerdism here, no wonder I was hopeless at this game, I just charged in and hoped for the best...

It's a great game for fight strategy. I've easily lost some fights with one strategy only to easily win with a tweak here and there.

Can be a little frustrating sometimes if you don't save often, even during a battle, as one wrong choice of action can scupper you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 pm 

CM11 wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

It's a great game for fight strategy. I've easily lost some fights with one strategy only to easily win with a tweak here and there.

Can be a little frustrating sometimes if you don't save often, even during a battle, as one wrong choice of action can scupper you.

I quickly learned you can't wing it. I should have another go sometime and think about what I'm trying to do more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
CM11 wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

I quickly learned you can't wing it. I should have another go sometime and think about what I'm trying to do more.

It doesn't seem like it needs 100% perfect, identical, strategies to win, but at the same time you can't just wade in randomly swinging and hope to win. Strikes a nice balance for me. Fight i lost the most was the first one against the voidlinvs on the boat! Still don't know how i could have done better.

Coming back to a fight a level or two higher makes a huge difference too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm 

Raggs wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
CM11 wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

It doesn't seem like it needs 100% perfect, identical, strategies to win, but at the same time you can't just wade in randomly swinging and hope to win. Strikes a nice balance for me. Fight i lost the most was the first one against the voidlinvs on the boat! Still don't know how i could have done better.

Amen to the latter. I'm finishing up Act 2 at level 15 and am coasting through most fights now. Even beat Alice (burning witch) without too much trickery.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
CM11 wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Amen to the latter. I'm finishing up Act 2 at level 15 and am coasting through most fights now. Even beat Alice (burning witch) without too much trickery.

I'm clearing up what I can. Went up to alice, she killed 3 of my party in an instant, at that point I reloaded and decided to come back later :D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 pm 

I have a tip for her if you want it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 pm 

Shut talking about it you pricks, you're making me want to play it again and I do not have 80 hours to spare :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 pm 

CM11 wrote:

Read a few already. Right now I'm just leaving her alone. I'll get back to her later. If she still kicks my arse, I'll start getting sneaky. I dislike seriously cheesing fights once I have knowledge of them. Just feels wrong to prepare the battefield exactly how I want it, if it's a battle that I didn't necessarily see coming (if you know what I mean).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Read a few already. Right now I'm just leaving her alone. I'll get back to her later. If she still kicks my arse, I'll start getting sneaky. I dislike seriously cheesing fights once I have knowledge of them. Just feels wrong to prepare the battefield exactly how I want it, if it's a battle that I didn't necessarily see coming (if you know what I mean).

I don't think there is a way to kill her without some advance planning. I know what you mean but I suppose if you figure out a way on your own then it's better than outright copying someone else's strategy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:54 pm 

It's been out a year at this point but I just picked it up yesterday, Two Point Hospital, the spiritual successor to Theme Hospital. It's definitely scratching the same itch, and as a game almost twenty years later, it's streamlined and eases you into things a bit better. Everything is intuitive, which is vital for small-scale management games like this. If you think you want to do something you can do it with just a few clicks. I'm just a little into it, and still on the introductory style levels, three hospitals in. There is some challenge in them, with getting down the basics of a hospital for the later levels, but the difficulty ramps up, supposedly, as you go on.

The humour is similar, although maybe a little less biting and dark than Theme Hospital. An example is you get people coming into the hospital dressed like Freddie Mercury (in yellow military-style suit and moustache, strutting around the place) and they'll be diagnosed with "Mock Star" (i.e. rock star) and they'll have to go to psychiatry to get cured, which involves a therapists room (lying back chair and all) and a doctor with the psychiatry qualification. If people die in the hospital, they might come back as ghosts and chase patients around so you need a janitor to suck them up with their hoovers.

The basic system is you're in a hospital group, and opening hospitals in different areas. When you get your hospital to One Star (of three) you can move onto the next area. That unlocks facilities you can go back to the earlier hospitals with to increase their prestige.

So far, it's a really pleasant way to spend an hour or so. I've been tootling about optimising and laying out the buildings I have, and directing staff. There's been a few manic moments and my only worry is that they'll end up hair-pulling moments in the future.

It's on sale on Fanatical for about twenty quid. If you remember Theme Hospital and have any nostalgia for it Two Point Hospital is worth picking up. If you just want a tycoon style management that isn't shitty shovelware, then this is one of the best out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:07 pm 

Got it on release. Played 20 hours or so i think, then lost a bit of interest. Definitely something I'll look to get back to.

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I don't think there is a way to kill her without some advance planning. I know what you mean but I suppose if you figure out a way on your own then it's better than outright copying someone else's strategy.

Walked in normally, no prior setup. Lost fane but the other three survived. Took three goes at it but basically got beast into position for a two handed onslaught and killed her quick. Level 16 though
Just cleared everything and planning to move on now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:23 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Got it on release. Played 20 hours or so i think, then lost a bit of interest. Definitely something I'll look to get back to.

CM11 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Walked in normally, no prior setup. Lost fane but the other three survived. Took three goes at it but basically got beast into position for a two handed onslaught and killed her quick. Level 16 though
Just cleared everything and planning to move on now.

Good stuff. Funnily enough, Fane was the guy I sent in. Had the others sneaking so got a free action and then got her in one round using adrenaline for everyone.

But really only possible at the highest level for Reaper's Coast. More so than any other fight which is a bit unbalanced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:55 pm 

Raggs wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Work on resistance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:54 pm 

Did anyone play Starcraft 2 back in the day? I got it earlier this year and I’m farken addicted. Haven’t taken to online much (expect to get smoked) but having a great time trying to beat the campaign on brutal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:47 am 

@Raggs et al, what's this game you're talking about about? Sound's great, do I need a high end PC to play it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:04 am 

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
@Raggs et al, what's this game you're talking about about? Sound's great, do I need a high end PC to play it?

Divinty original sin 2, and it doesn't look like you need anything to impressive to play it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm 

Started up a new game of D:OS2 and can I just say fuck the lot of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Did anyone play Starcraft 2 back in the day? I got it earlier this year and I’m farken addicted. Haven’t taken to online much (expect to get smoked) but having a great time trying to beat the campaign on brutal.

Back when the games were decent and you didn’t have to be online for everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Which character?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:18 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Which character?

Went with Ifan this time. He, eh, had an accident in my first play through while an NPC on the first island so never used him. That was back at release so hoping the definitive edition is worthwhile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165  Next