Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Started up a new game of D:OS2 and can I just say fuck the lot of you.

In Afrikaans, they say: 'As jy dom is moet jy kak!' Poor bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Love that game, such satisfying combat too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:24 pm 

FF7 Remake looks incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 am 

My 6 year old fell in love with gaming this weekend. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 pm 

True Blue wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Love that game, such satisfying combat too.

Loving the combat. So many of these games end up being a case of focus fire one person, get the numbers advantage, rinse and repeat. This one still has you trying to make choices to get a kill (no coming back/healing/restoring armour etc), but also you have to think about control, so you may attack 4 different targets, but end up controlling all 5, then focusing on the kill for 1 or 2, with control on the others etc.

Just had a very funny interaction, and I love that it happened, going to spoiler it though.

Spoiler: show
Just fought the knight in the temple of Duna. The granite guards, who just strike you constantly, without actually entering into combat, I mostly avoided by teleporting them out the way. Got to the knight, he initiates the fight and runs next to a guard, naturally he's a dwarf so it doesn't attack. I backlash in behind him, knock out his physical armour and decide it's worth using the adrenaline now to get a chicken claw on him. Turn him into a chicken. Chickens aren't dwarves... the granite guard then just keeps striking him, but as they never enter combat, it's not once or twice a round, it just keeps slapping him till he dies, job done :D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 pm 

mr bungle wrote:

The original was one of the best and I much preferred it to mariokart. The castle level was ace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkyERMbKU8

Parliament grilling EA and Epic on Loot Boxes.

Very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 pm 

Anyone playing the new borderlands?
When it's out obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 pm 

blindcider wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

The original was one of the best and I much preferred it to mariokart. The castle level was ace

I was huge on the original also. Got Mario kart 8 for my son last year though so probably won’t get this. He loves Luigi.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:38 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

Dunno man. Looks like it has the typical Square Enix messy combat. It also looks set up for their tacky brand of monetization, it's also cut into multiple episodes which is a downer.

Not excited at all for it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm 

danthefan wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Which character?

Went with Ifan this time. He, eh, had an accident in my first play through while an NPC on the first island so never used him. That was back at release so hoping the definitive edition is worthwhile.

Thought he was good fun alright, although I built him as a scoundrel rather than a summoner which was possibly a waste.

Must say, first time I played it through I thought it was a bit too finicky but loved it the second time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Dunno man. Looks like it has the typical Square Enix messy combat. It also looks set up for their tacky brand of monetization, it's also cut into multiple episodes which is a downer.

Not anymore.

It's 2 discs.. 1 discs alone for Midgar. The other discs contains everything else.

it's looking excellent, they've also nailed a nice pitch between turn based and action based combat via the ATB gauge. The fact you can do mix up combos, whilst trivial, in the way they have done it, looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Not anymore.

It's 2 discs.. 1 discs alone for Midgar. The other discs contains everything else.

it's looking excellent, they've also nailed a nice pitch between turn based and action based combat via the ATB gauge. The fact you can do mix up combos, whilst trivial, in the way they have done it, looks beautiful.

I have Wendigo’s optimism but think floppy will likely be proven right. Hopefully the game is good but I don’t see this being a classic. Square doesn’t do them anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Not anymore.

I have Wendigo’s optimism but think floppy will likely be proven right. Hopefully the game is good but I don’t see this being a classic. Square doesn’t do them anymore.

Speaking of remakes, when is someone going to do a Red Alert reboot?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 pm 

Divinity original sin 2 just annoyed me a bit...

I don't mind tough fights, I don't mind fights that I lose and have to reload and come back to, maybe with smarter positioning etc, but that's something that you'd do if you were expecting a fight. What annoys me is when seemingly the only way to win a fight is to already know the trick mechanics.

Talking about Arx here, so if you aren't that far, stop now.

Went into the dreamland bit for the red princess. The first fight in the arena, very tough in terms of opposition, but when you throw in the mechanic of having to break the mirrors, it's impossible if you don't know that. I went in blind, killed one, saw she came back, and figured out pretty quick I needed to hit the mirrors, but I just didn't have enough time between the madness/charm/teleport effects. I did manage to break them all, but was down to just 2 characters, one of whom was mad, the other was charmed. I didn't get to play for 3 rounds, and gave up when one of them was killed.

Now once I knew about the mirrors, I knew to focus on them first, but fighting it blind, as a normal fight, you try and crowd control, take one out, and take some punishment as you do. Then even knowing the mechanics still leaves you now trying to manoeuvre all the way around the arena, and I tend to use a lot of movement skills early to win the fight efficiently, so had a lot on cooldown :(.

Guess if I used my source skills sooner, I could have perhaps pulled it off, but having already proven to myself that I couldn't get back to the source fountain, I wasn't too eager to burn them all in the very first fight.

Rant over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 pm 

I tried Divinity multiple times, it's just a tedious and boring game imo.

Also the graphics look cheap and cartoony which I hate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:49 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I tried Divinity multiple times, it's just a tedious and boring game imo.

Also the graphics look cheap and cartoony which I hate.

You're so edgy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 pm 

I mean I get it, the ganeplay's nuanced. I just found it boring.
The story is old school, i.e corny.
The graphics aren't important to the quality of the game, i.e theyre cheap looking and crap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:54 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I mean I get it, the ganeplay's nuanced. I just found it boring.
The story is old school, i.e corny.
The graphics aren't important to the quality of the game, i.e theyre cheap looking and crap.

As opposed to?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:59 pm 

Any game with a proper budget?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm 

I know i prefer my lizardmen, undead and voidwoken terrors from beyond the veil to look more like they do in real life, but i put up with it for the gameplay...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Not anymore.

Speaking of remakes, when is someone going to do a Red Alert reboot?

C&C was desecrated by EA, I doubt we'll ever see another.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:26 pm 

So now going through a lone wolf, Fane since he has the extra turn power, (single lone wolf, since you can play it with 2), tactician run on D:OS2. Just got to lvl 4ish, and completed the arena fight, too easy when you know what you're doing and play the system a bit.

Cleared out Griffs lot in a really cheeky way, teleported myself onto an inaccessible ledge, pulled them up one at a time and killed them, then played dead for the rest to go out of combat, rinse and repeat till I was down to the last 2 :D. Did something similar against the fire slugs.

Can easily imagine some fights will be easy, and some will be nightmarish. Difference is, playing solo tactician, whilst I still don't plan on really cheesing things, I'm not going to feel bad for spending turn after turn with invisibility, whilst charmed opponents batter hell out of each other.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:50 pm 

Real Cricket 19 is an awesome and surprisingly true-to-life cricket game (coming from someone who only really got into cricket this year) mobile game for Android and iPhone. I think we'll worth a download if you're a cricket fan and can handle the fůcking advertisements every over. I'd be interested in the opinions of real cricket fans/players. It has a bit of a learning curve and can be frustrating on anything but "easy" mode if you want to just bash sixes and bowl middle stumps. But if you treat it like a real game and bat/bowl with realistic patience, strategy, etc. it's pretty damn impressive for a mobile game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 pm 

I’m quite enjoying Days Gone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:33 pm 

So epic steer constantly releasing free games if you install their downloader, normally I'd not bother mentioning but one of the games this time is this war of nibs, which is apparently rather good. Got loads of free games from them so far. Why some people are so precious about only using one game installer i don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm 

So, the third game in the Watch Dogs series "Legion" will shift across the Atlantic and use London ( a dystopian post Brexit London. LOL) for its setting. Not released until Spring next year though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Ie3M1_Bu-Y

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:35 pm 

What are the previous Watch Dogs games like? It isn't a series I've got into, but always liked the look of.

I like open world games (GTA, RDR) - are they in that mold?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm 

The first one is OK but has a bit of a dull protagonist, second one is rather better and more offbeat and fun. The second game has much more interesting characters and you can do things like stir up gang fights against each other or the police to act as a distraction tactic, which is always a giggle.

There's a story arc on each broken down into various missions, you're pretty much free to roam in between the missions and do some random stuff. Plenty of logic puzzles representing hacking which you have to solve and you usually have a choice of stealth or brute force to get through action scenes - and stealth I find much more fun. You can play as a vigilante or just be anarchic or mix and match as you like.

They don't have the quirky charm of the GTA games cough Trevor cough, but I quite enjoyed them though I haven't tried the online co-op / multiplayer modes. Given that the games are much cheaper than when they first came out and you can spend a lot of time playing (not as long as GTA5 though) they are worth checking out If you only want to go for one then definitely WD2 as it's a completely independent story so you don't really miss anything by not playing the first game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 am 

Got Red Dead Redemption 2 a couple months ago. Tried it, got massively bored through the stupidly long intro / tutorial part. Stopped.

Tried again this weekend, played for a full four hours. Stopped again, what a boring chore. Not sure if I'll ever try again, waste of money so far.

Bought Project Cars 2 on console. Thought, "why is everyone bitching about it being so hard on controller?" after doing the rounds in the ginetta start up cup.

Raced the karts, then the Ginetta affinity race in a proper car.

I'm saving up for a proper wheel setup now 😢🤣

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 am 

Still playing age of kings and Starcraft 2. How did RTS fall out of favour? It’s so damn good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
The first one is OK but has a bit of a dull protagonist, second one is rather better and more offbeat and fun. The second game has much more interesting characters and you can do things like stir up gang fights against each other or the police to act as a distraction tactic, which is always a giggle.

There's a story arc on each broken down into various missions, you're pretty much free to roam in between the missions and do some random stuff. Plenty of logic puzzles representing hacking which you have to solve and you usually have a choice of stealth or brute force to get through action scenes - and stealth I find much more fun. You can play as a vigilante or just be anarchic or mix and match as you like.

They don't have the quirky charm of the GTA games cough Trevor cough, but I quite enjoyed them though I haven't tried the online co-op / multiplayer modes. Given that the games are much cheaper than when they first came out and you can spend a lot of time playing (not as long as GTA5 though) they are worth checking out If you only want to go for one then definitely WD2 as it's a completely independent story so you don't really miss anything by not playing the first game.

That’s brill - thank you for the summaries. Think I will get WD2 off the back of that - as you say, it’s probably fairly inexpensive now and I’d like to have a look at it. Plus if I really enjoy it then WD3 will be something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:13 am 

TheSmurf wrote:
Got Red Dead Redemption 2 a couple months ago. Tried it, got massively bored through the stupidly long intro / tutorial part. Stopped.

Tried again this weekend, played for a full four hours. Stopped again, what a boring chore. Not sure if I'll ever try again, waste of money so far.

Bought Project Cars 2 on console. Thought, "why is everyone bitching about it being so hard on controller?" after doing the rounds in the ginetta start up cup.

Raced the karts, then the Ginetta affinity race in a proper car.

I'm saving up for a proper wheel setup now 😢🤣

Sigh. I really enjoyed RDR2, but at the same time I know precisely what you mean. Some of the missions are very repetitive and, as I read elsewhere, it does seem like a horse riding simulator at times. I think as a spectacle it’s a beautiful creation, and it’s sheer depth and scale are to be admired.

I found the controls a bit clunky at times too. Standing over a chest to open it, and then having to back and around and change the angle just to get the bloody triangle button to appear :blush:

Plus, trying to do something like get on your horse, but accidentally melee some random townsfolk, and having to then evacuate yourself from a town with a bounty on your head!

Final annoyance is being left as John Marston. Would much rather play on in the open world at the end as Arthur.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:58 am 

RDR2 is one of the best games I've ever played. Stunning to look at, really compelling storytelling, great voice acting, fun missions, but most of all the openworld design was just incredible. The world felt so alive.

I get it when people say they were bored or the controls were clunky (they definitely were) but for me I can't stop thinking about the game, incredible achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 am 

RDR2 is really an amazing game imo. Just replaying it now after getting bored of Fallout 76. Just the beauty and depth of everything is amazing.

Final Fantasy V Remake looks interesting, I got a bit fed up with FF15 so hopefully this will be better.

Also enjoying F76, although get bored here and there, they've definitely improved it and I look forward to the NPCs update.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:57 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

That’s brill - thank you for the summaries. Think I will get WD2 off the back of that - as you say, it’s probably fairly inexpensive now and I’d like to have a look at it. Plus if I really enjoy it then WD3 will be something to look forward to.

Hope you enjoy it, I've kinda talked myself into replaying it soon while I wait for TLOU2 and WD3 to appear...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 pm 

Crusader Kings II bundle on Humble Bundle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:39 am 

Dusted off my PS4 and replaying Skyrim. Can't believe it's 8 years since it came out

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm 

I wish there could be a remake of Dune. Its sad how RTS seem to be out of favor . Would love go get something new similar to Dune or C&C or Age of Empires. RTS can really take hours out of my life very easily.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 pm 

bok_viking wrote:
I wish there could be a remake of Dune. Its sad how RTS seem to be out of favor . Would love go get something new similar to Dune or C&C or Age of Empires. RTS can really take hours out of my life very easily.

And something that doesn’t need you to be playing online or spending 8 million pounds to have a chance. Dune II, Age of Empires sort of thing. I’d be very happy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165  Next