Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm 

CBT is a patronising joke, and my job is now at risk.

I'm less worried about feelings emotions than I am about the numbness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 pm 

Salanya wrote:

CBT is excellent for some conditions and people. It doesn't work for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:43 pm 

Salanya wrote:

Sorry to hear things aren't going well. You're out in the middle of nowhere in England somewhere right? Anyone local you can lean on? Friends etc?

And what do you mean your job is at risk?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:00 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
Both my parents are f**ked. Both have dimentia. My mother has really bad short term memory loss but is otherwise surprisingly functional.

My dad had to be moved to full time care last month. He had Louise Bodies dimentia, which doesn't react well with anti depressants, which result is severe hallucinations. Off the meds he is very sensitive to sounds and can't distinguish general noise and focus on voices. He's also adicticted to over the counter pain pills and gets migraines. This all leads to him getting very wound up, confrontational, abusive and violent.

I'm half way across the planet.

Until recently they were both very stubborn about getting help and any attempt to get them support was met with abusive retorts and pig headed unwillingness to accept they're f**ked and need help.

It's very likely I will end up going the same way in about 20-25 years time. I will not put my wife and kids through this shit.

I hear you IH, I've just returned from an emergency trip to Zim, the old man was diagnosed with bowel cancer and had an operation to remove it. My Mum has really bad Alzheimer's, so the wife and I went over to look after them for a month, one of my worst months ever.
My Mum is very physically fit (for 78) but has terrible short term memory and is very easily confused, Dad is not bad, still has memory loss but more in an old age type of way, but is very stubborn when it comes to realizing that he needs help and can't and won't be able to cope with my mother for much longer.
Alzheimer's is a bastard, yes I will most likely get it and sadly my wifes family is also predisposed, things could get very interesting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm 

Diego wrote:
Salanya wrote:

Sorry to hear things aren't going well. You're out in the middle of nowhere in England somewhere right? Anyone local you can lean on? Friends etc?

And what do you mean your job is at risk?

I am in the middle of nowhere, which is fine, but as I have to go to a training course tomorrow, the dog had to go to the kennel for a few nights. Had a chat with one of the two friends who is aware; I don't actually want to see any further people - I guess I prefer to converse with faceless weirdos on a rugby forum... ;)

The job overworked me, but the boss is using that as an excuse for me not meeting objectives. Had occupational health involved, but their suggestions haven't been implemented by the boss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:13 pm 

Sal, not a good scene when your employer has been made aware and isn't doing their bit. Would you have employment options open to you without uprooting and moving somewhere else?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Sal, not a good scene when your employer has been made aware and isn't doing their bit. Would you have employment options open to you without uprooting and moving somewhere else?

It could be done, but at a lower position. And all locations are very different, and I am attached to my location.

I'll need to get the union involved now to support my corner, without things getting too messy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:23 pm 

Your boss sounds like a dick :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 pm 

Diego wrote:

Thanks for the support.

How are things with you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm 

Salanya wrote:
redderneck wrote:

It could be done, but at a lower position. And all locations are very different, and I am attached to my location.

I'll need to get the union involved now to support my corner, without things getting too messy.

Good luck with the dick/boss. Sounds like he needs therapy not you.

Hope it works ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 pm 

Salanya wrote:
Diego wrote:

Thanks for the support.

How are things with you?

Ok. Well, I'm unemployed and homeless but hopefully not for much longer than another few weeks. Happy in myself and where I'm going anyway. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 pm 

Salanya wrote:
redderneck wrote:

All the best with it. Unions may take a pounding in here frequently, but times/situations like you have on your hands, they can be a major plus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm 

Diego wrote:
Salanya wrote:
Diego wrote:

Thanks for the support.

How are things with you?

Ok. Well, I'm unemployed and homeless but hopefully not for much longer than another few weeks. Happy in myself and where I'm going anyway. :thumbup:

I thought you were still doing your PhD in NL?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:11 pm 

Salanya wrote:
Diego wrote:
Salanya wrote:
Diego wrote:

Thanks for the support.

How are things with you?

I thought you were still doing your PhD in NL?!

I was only doing a Masters and some research work afterwards. Back in Ireland at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Salanya wrote:
redderneck wrote:

All the best with it. Unions may take a pounding in here frequently, but times/situations like you have on your hands, they can be a major plus.

Thanks Redders :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 pm 

Diego: stick to academics, the grown up world sucks ;)

Good to hear you're well in yourself. One day we will have some pints to celebrate Wesleyan triumphs!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 pm 

Salanya wrote:
Diego: stick to academics, the grown up world sucks ;)

Good to hear you're well in yourself. One day we will have some pints to celebrate Wesleyan triumphs!

That is the plan :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 pm 

That’s pretty nice guys and gals to see you support each other like this. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am 

I'm with you Salanya with regards to CBT, it's a crock.

Anxiety is getting much better/manageable after going crazy of turkey over Xmas.

Still flat but to be expected with a new job and other stresses

Inspected the shower/locker/bike storage setup at the new gig and it's excellent.

Starting to ride to work 2 days a week from Next week

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm 

Well nah, CBT is great, just not for everyone. You can’t make baseless accusations like it’s a crock just because it may not have worked for you. It was brilliant for me, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Well nah, CBT is great, just not for everyone. You can’t make baseless accusations like it’s a crock just because it may not have worked for you. It was brilliant for me, for example.

We all experience our own reality :nod:

Here, we can speak out minds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:20 pm 

Man In Black wrote:

this. CBT helped me with some Bereavement induced depression that I had, and I use some of the techniques I learnt in that still to this day. different things, work for different people, in different ways, such as religion, going to the gym, taking a dog for a walk, even Lemsip & a wank. the single best thing I learnt from it, was the 'its ok to feel down' bit, once I got that bit, I stopped all the compounding issues I had of feeling bad just because I feeling upset, or letting anyone down etc.

as long as it makes the person feel better, happier, and more able to cope, and it doesn't harm anyone else, then just let them do it I say :thumbup:

good luck to all anyways. one thing that I found that helped, was laughing at inappropriate, repetitive crude humour.

Spoiler: show
8===> - - - :o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 pm 

This week I'll probably need lots of hugs - just saying :(

Incredible what stress can do to you. And what work can do to you, and bosses are happy to do to you.

PS: my comment on CBT was more for myself, not the process in general. If you've never really experienced or studied depression I imagine it's really helpful, explaining thought processes and links between emotions, moods, self-image and behaviours.
However, if you've had it for a long time you've probably looked into this on many occasion, read studies and websites, and understand the workings even though you may not be able to stop the thoughts and emotions. And then CBT is stating the obvious, with some diary exercises thrown in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:07 am 

Jeffrey Simmons, the Mississippi State lineman, reads this poem to himself everyday: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... it-through

It’s helped me to read it a few times while going through a rough patch, so I thought I’d share. Sometimes even the smallest things make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 am 

Salanya wrote:

Incredible what stress can do to you. And what work can do to you, and bosses are happy to do to you.

PS: my comment on CBT was more for myself, not the process in general. If you've never really experienced or studied depression I imagine it's really helpful, explaining thought processes and links between emotions, moods, self-image and behaviours.
However, if you've had it for a long time you've probably looked into this on many occasion, read studies and websites, and understand the workings even though you may not be able to stop the thoughts and emotions. And then CBT is stating the obvious, with some diary exercises thrown in.

Hope all works out for you this week Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 am 

Salanya wrote:

Be strong, Sal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 am 

Hey folks – just looking for willing ear…

My 19-year old son is suffering from depression and panic attacks - he first started to feel the onset in Year 11 at school. He refuses to talk about it with me and flatly refuses to see any kind of therapist. He will only reluctantly talk to my wife about it, and even then, he’s quick to get upset/angry and closes up again.

He is on medication, which hasn’t visibly seemed to help much and he has recently switched to a different drug. He has real trouble sleeping – he spends most of the night awake and then will sleep late into the morning.

The panic attacks seem to be getting more frequent…to the point that he is increasingly finding reasons to stay either at home or at his girlfriend’s place. More often than not, he calls in sick to work (part time casual job – he’s at Uni) – although he has apparently told his boss about it, who is being really understanding.

He had a really bad day yesterday, so I took the day off work to be with him. We just hung out, watched movies and had a swim…but didn’t talk about anything. He just wants to feel ‘normal’ and talking about it just shines a light on it, I think.

My wife and I have Googled ourselves stupid – but he is so reticent, we have no real idea where to start. I send him links to things that I think might help, but I don’t think he reads them.

Like any parent, my kids are the most important things in my life - it feels wretched and heart-breaking to see your child in so much pain and be so completely useless in making it go away.

Any thoughts welcome, but I just wanted to have a bit of a download.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:24 am 

TQoET wrote:

My 19-year old son is suffering from depression and panic attacks - he first started to feel the onset in Year 11 at school. He refuses to talk about it with me and flatly refuses to see any kind of therapist. He will only reluctantly talk to my wife about it, and even then, he’s quick to get upset/angry and closes up again.

He is on medication, which hasn’t visibly seemed to help much and he has recently switched to a different drug. He has real trouble sleeping – he spends most of the night awake and then will sleep late into the morning.

The panic attacks seem to be getting more frequent…to the point that he is increasingly finding reasons to stay either at home or at his girlfriend’s place. More often than not, he calls in sick to work (part time casual job – he’s at Uni) – although he has apparently told his boss about it, who is being really understanding.

He had a really bad day yesterday, so I took the day off work to be with him. We just hung out, watched movies and had a swim…but didn’t talk about anything. He just wants to feel ‘normal’ and talking about it just shines a light on it, I think.

My wife and I have Googled ourselves stupid – but he is so reticent, we have no real idea where to start. I send him links to things that I think might help, but I don’t think he reads them.

Like any parent, my kids are the most important things in my life - it feels wretched and heart-breaking to see your child in so much pain and be so completely useless in making it go away.

Im not a professional and this is just my rambling but keep encouraging him to continue speak to you or your wife, good for you hanging out with him
Let him know there is nothing that he cant tell you
When I am low I try and talk to my wife, sometimes its very hard to express how I feel, sometimes to me it seems shocking or embarrassing but when its verbalised it can sound quite silly.
Doesnt make it go away but it helps
I have often said I wish to feel normal, that is one of the big things he IS normal, he would be amazed the amount of people out there who have mental health issues, again that is much easier said than done, I can remember at my worst walking around supermarkets looking at everyone and thinking how happy they all are and none feel like me.
Thing is I had NO IDEA, half of them could have been on medication for all I knew, but I had beaten myself up that I was the only one with the problem
Encourage him to start a journal, writing stuff down can also be therapeutic.
I did something similar and now when I look back at it, its fascinating to see how my mind was working at that particular time
Hopefully the docs can find the right medication for him.

I appreciate I'm probably coming across rambling now, its more of a brain dump from me from personal experiences, apologies if it comes across that way!

Most importantly though best of luck, everyone here is rooting for you and even more so for your son

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 am 

Winnie wrote:
TQoET wrote:

Im not a professional and this is just my rambling but keep encouraging him to continue speak to you or your wife, good for you hanging out with him
When I am low I try and talk to my wife, sometimes its very hard to express how I feel, sometimes to me it seems shocking or embarrassing but when its verbalised it can sound quite silly.
I have often said I wish to feel normal, that is one of the big things he IS normal, he would be amazed the amount of people out there who have mental health issues, again that is much easier said than done, I can remember at my worst walking around supermarkets looking at everyone and thinking how happy they all are and none feel like me.
Thing is I had NO IDEA, half of them could have been on medication for all I knew, but I had beaten myself up that I was the only one with the problem
I did something similar and now when I look back at it, its fascinating to see how my mind was working at that particular time

I appreciate I'm probably coming across rambling now, its more of a brain dump from me from personal experiences, apologies if it comes across that way!

Most importantly though best of luck, everyone here is rooting for you and even more so for your son

Damned fine post, Winnie, and yes, TQoET, you have tons of support here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Winnie wrote:
TQoET wrote:

Damned fine post, Winnie, and yes, TQoET, you have tons of support here.

Thanks Winnie; thanks Kiwias - I really appreciate the comments. I feel quite emotional. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 am 

TQoET wrote:
Thanks Winnie; thanks Kiwias - I really appreciate the comments. I feel quite emotional. :thumbup:

I have been awake since 4am trying to convince my wife, who has mild depression, to calm down after she woke in a panic -- her left foot was numb and she was scared that either she would need the foot amputated or she was in mid-stroke and would be paralysed. When in depression, the mind clearly works in a different way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 am 

Kiwias wrote:
TQoET wrote:

I have been awake since 4am trying to convince my wife, who has mild depression, to calm down after she woke in a panic -- her left foot was numb and she was scared that either she would need the foot amputated or she was in mid-stroke and would be paralysed. When in depression, the mind clearly works in a different way.

It sure does; and that is part of a problem I am coming to terms with - I cannot even begin to understand what my son is going through and I worry that he feels that he is dealing with it alone.

Sorry to hear about your wife, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 am 

TQoET wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
TQoET wrote:

It sure does; and that is part of a problem I am coming to terms with - I cannot even begin to understand what my son is going through and I worry that he feels that he is dealing with it alone.

Thanks. The good news is that her depression is only mild, she accepts it, and is cooperating in dealing with it.

Good luck with your lad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 am 

TQoET wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
TQoET wrote:

I seem to have issues with obsessive compulsive crap.... and high anxiety.
For me i need routines.... lots of exercise.... less booze and caffeine if possible. I also write to do lists each evening that i have ready for my morning start up.... Self talk and breathing exercises....

Seems like anxiety/depression is so prevalent nowdays.. Is it to do with modern diet or is just the pace of modern life that is causing it....

Wish you and your family all the best and hopefully things get better for you all soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Hit a huge black hole last week and by Friday I was a bloody mess. Family and friends have been great and I am starting to climb out the other side.

Doc has put me on a drug called mirtazapine which she said would also help me to sleep. Took a half pill (so 15mgs) last night and then slept for over 9 hours and I don't feel all doped up today. Hell, if that keeps up I'll take on the freaking lot a ya,.!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Hit a huge black hole last week and by Friday I was a bloody mess. Family and friends have been great and I am starting to climb out the other side.

Doc has put me on a drug called mirtazapine which she said would also help me to sleep. Took a half pill (so 15mgs) last night and then slept for over 9 hours and I don't feel all doped up today. Hell, if that keeps up I'll take on the freaking lot a ya,.!!!

Even Jeff the Bear?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 am 

moosehead wrote:
TQoET wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
TQoET wrote:

For me i need routines.... lots of exercise.... less booze and caffeine if possible. I also write to do lists each evening that i have ready for my morning start up.... Self talk and breathing exercises....

Seems like anxiety/depression is so prevalent nowdays.. Is it to do with modern diet or is just the pace of modern life that is causing it....

Wish you and your family all the best and hopefully things get better for you all soon.

Thanks Moosehead - you seem to have a system going that works well for you. :thumbup:

I agree, it does seem very prevalent - now that I am talking about this with people, I have been amazed at the number of people I know who seem to have had their own experiences; in some cases, close friends who have been dealing with it for years.

I suspect that in the past people didn't understand what was affecting them and so just coped as best the could. Being told to 'just pull yourself together.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Kiwias wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Even Jeff the Bear?

Nah, I don't hit pussies. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:42 am 

TQoET wrote:
moosehead wrote:
TQoET wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
TQoET wrote:

Thanks Moosehead - you seem to have a system going that works well for you. :thumbup:

I agree, it does seem very prevalent - now that I am talking about this with people, I have been amazed at the number of people I know who seem to have had their own experiences; in some cases, close friends who have been dealing with it for years.

I suspect that in the past people didn't understand what was affecting them and so just coped as best the could. Being told to 'just pull yourself together.'

Your last point is insightful, I think that it's like many things we're just starting to understand a spectrum and everyone of course has some depression and anxiety, remind your boy that he having perfectly natural issues, he has more stress hormones and maybe a sharper response to them, and chemically that can over ride seretonin and make him low.

Fingers crossed he will grow out of the stage, but don't be afraid of medication nor therapy and it can be very affective.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 am 

bimboman wrote:

Your last point is insightful, I think that it's like many things we're just starting to understand a spectrum and everyone of course has some depression and anxiety, remind your boy that he having perfectly natural issues, he has more stress hormones and maybe a sharper response to them, and chemically that can over ride seretonin and make him low.

Fingers crossed he will grow out of the stage, but don't be afraid of medication nor therapy and it can be very affective.

Good luck

Thanks, Bimbo - much appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next