Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4011
Early Man was genuinely funny. Aardman Animations does it again


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9392
Watched Roman J Israel
Don't actually know if I liked it
Do like watching Denzel and he was great again
Also a big fan of Farrell since In Bruges so was nice to see him in there too

Can't think of a movie where Denzel wasn't the lead/co-lead - must be a while back now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11044
Kid A wrote:
If anybody here appreciates cinematography, symmetry, photography and architecture - watch 'Columbus' (2017)

Image


Cheers, enjoyed that one. Scene that screenshot is taken from in particular was excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Knee deep in it
Margin_Walker wrote:

Cheers, enjoyed that one. Scene that screenshot is taken from in particular was excellent.


Yeah it's pretty great (but not for everyone). It really flew under the 2017 radar. Haley Lu Richardson was fantastic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3639
Location: Queensland!
Catching up on my 2017 viewing

The Babysitter - Can understand the very different opinions on this one, but had some fun time with it, maybe 6/10

Blade Runner 2049 - to be honest found this one slightly boring, typical Villeneuve all style over substance the last block clearly setting up a sequel 6/10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Knee deep in it
Salient wrote:
typical Villeneuve all style over substance


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9392
Watched Life (2017) again
Best alien creature movie since Alien. FACT


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Knee deep in it
Cartman wrote:
Watched Life (2017) again
Best alien creature movie since Alien. FACT


You appear to have not seen 'Arrival', 'District 9', The Cloverfields, 'The Abyss', ' and Monsters',


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
Watched Early Man yesterday and was disappointed by it. Probably because the script was aimed at a much younger audience and that had something to do with it. The animation is excellent as ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9392
Dundee trailer looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brL-lwwHco
Lots of Hollywood Aussies


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Knee deep in it
Cartman wrote:
Dundee trailer looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brL-lwwHco
Lots of Hollywood Aussies



Is it a real film though? Rumours are that it's just a huge superbowl advert for something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7501
Kid A wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dundee trailer looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brL-lwwHco
Lots of Hollywood Aussies



Is it a real film though? Rumours are that it's just a huge superbowl advert for something.


It's for Aussie Tourism to be shown at the Superbowl?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7501
Has anyone watched Love? 2011 film that seems to be a project associated with Angels and Airwaves (Tom Delonges band outside of Blink 182).

It's popped up on my Prime and was wondering if it is worth a watch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Knee deep in it
Gazzamonster wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Dundee trailer looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brL-lwwHco
Lots of Hollywood Aussies



Is it a real film though? Rumours are that it's just a huge superbowl advert for something.


It's for Aussie Tourism to be shown at the Superbowl?


https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 0nlmz.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17638
So I won tickets to Molly's Game from my mobile company.

It was absolute bollox. Just 90's level shite.

The Mrs and I bailed halfway through it was so shit.

2/10 -the rack is worth one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18355
Location: North Cameroon
death of stalin, absolutely brilliant, haven't laughed so hard since the sbw red card

"-can't lift, I have a bad back
-must be all that social climbing"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9773
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Looking forward to Villeneuve's next effort, as he's on a bit of a roll after Arrival and this.


Dune adaptation


It's going to be interesting to see if he can pull it off. Really hope he can.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
Watched Winchester today, disappointed in it 4/10 at the most. The film could have been a lot more interesting but is a series of jump scares, something which has blighted the big budget horror film industry over the last few years. Very little atmosphere, very little going on in it. Though Helen Mirren is good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11938
The Cloverfield Paradox 3/10.

OK if you have it on in the background as you do something else, but otherwise don't waste your time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16514
Akkerman wrote:
death of stalin, absolutely brilliant, haven't laughed so hard since the sbw red card

"-can't lift, I have a bad back
-must be all that social climbing"


Having been trying to find a copy of it anywhere (for a friend) as it's never going to be shown in Singapore, looks great.

It’s old news now, but finally saw Call Me By Your Name - a genuinely beautiful film. If you can handle all the man love, it’s worth a watch. Lead actor (Chalamet) deserves all awards, surely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13610
naki wrote:
Akkerman wrote:
death of stalin, absolutely brilliant, haven't laughed so hard since the sbw red card

"-can't lift, I have a bad back
-must be all that social climbing"


Having been trying to find a copy of it anywhere (for a friend) as it's never going to be shown in Singapore, looks great.

It’s old news now, but finally saw Call Me By Your Name - a genuinely beautiful film. If you can handle all the man love, it’s worth a watch. Lead actor (Chalamet) deserves all awards, surely.

I can't get hold of it in Oz.

RuggaBugga wrote:
So I won tickets to Molly's Game from my mobile company.

It was absolute bollox. Just 90's level shite.

The Mrs and I bailed halfway through it was so shit.

2/10 -the rack is worth one.

Such was your disgust with this (as a key member of the PR Move Snobs Club ;) ), which seemed out of step with other reviews out there, that it actually inspired me to go see it.

It was good, interesting story I knew nothing about, good performances from Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba - also didn't realise it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin until the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4867
I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
Man In Black wrote:
I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:


I was thinking of seeing that tonight, I'm glad it's a good white trash 'thriller'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
Just seen Den of Thieves, it's 2 hour 20 minutes long and that is far too long, could have 30-40 mins cut out and you'd miss nothing. O’Shea Jackson Jr is great in it though, best character in the film. He's having a really good career.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17638
Man In Black wrote:
I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:


Just got back from this. Really enjoyed it, strong acting performances throughout, especially the Mum, Robbie and the fat guy.

The montage of real clips at the end showed just how well they nailed it.

Also the soundtrack was ace. It was pretty much everything that over stylised piece of shite Molly's Game wasn't.

Unclefb will hate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 45175
Location: Fighting political correctness with "banter"
My friend tells me its on DVD screener on Piratebay.
Whatever that means ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4867
Call Me By Your Name I highly recommend. Really nice love story. One to watch with the missus (or Mr as the case may be).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4867
RuggaBugga wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:


Just got back from this. Really enjoyed it, strong acting performances throughout, especially the Mum, Robbie and the fat guy.

The montage of real clips at the end showed just how well they nailed it.

Also the soundtrack was ace. It was pretty much everything that over stylised piece of shite Molly's Game wasn't.

Unclefb will hate it.


Not seen Molly's Game yet but I like the leads so may wait and watch at home if its shit. I thought Margot Robbie was excellent. She's clearly not just an incredibly beautiful face but had real, genuine acting talent!

There's no way she'll win the Oscar over Frances McDormand though. I mean I don't think so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18355
Location: North Cameroon
loving vincent, movie about van gogh, animated in the style of his paintings
gorgeous visuals, as expected, but not much else sadly, shit story, awful voice overs etc
5/10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11938
Anyone else looking forward to Black Panther? I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Very much a Marvel film but seems to be much fresher than the last lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13610
RuggaBugga wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:


Just got back from this. Really enjoyed it, strong acting performances throughout, especially the Mum, Robbie and the fat guy.

The montage of real clips at the end showed just how well they nailed it.

Also the soundtrack was ace. It was pretty much everything that over stylised piece of shite Molly's Game wasn't.

Unclefb will hate it.

Loved it, I'm an all comers movie lover ;).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
Just come back from watching The 15:17 to Paris. What a boring movie, I forgot it was directed by Eastwood until the credits because it's nothing like any other movie he has done. Most of it just seems like it was someone's home movies and while it may have seemed like a good idea to have the three guys play themselves it really, really didn't work out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 974
The Phantom Thread is superb. Part twisted love story, part study of an obsessive artist. Daniel Day Lewis is very good, and not in the bombastic way he was in There Will be Blood. But the real star of the show is the actress who plays his sister Cyril. Quite a funny movie as well, which I wasn't expecting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13610
bessantj wrote:
Just come back from watching The 15:17 to Paris. What a boring movie, I forgot it was directed by Eastwood until the credits because it's nothing like any other movie he has done. Most of it just seems like it was someone's home movies and while it may have seemed like a good idea to have the three guys play themselves it really, really didn't work out.

Thank you for this review. Was about to buy tickets to this, generally like Clint's films, saw your comment about the guys playing themselves and then I decided to do some more reading ... it's getting panned. So we decided to see Ladybird instead which was on at same time - and it was really good. It basically has that Irish bird playing Greta Gerwig (the director) in what I assume is a autobiographical story. Not as hipster as the films Gerwig usually acts in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 2138
Location: Newport, Gwent
UncleFB wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Just come back from watching The 15:17 to Paris. What a boring movie, I forgot it was directed by Eastwood until the credits because it's nothing like any other movie he has done. Most of it just seems like it was someone's home movies and while it may have seemed like a good idea to have the three guys play themselves it really, really didn't work out.

Thank you for this review. Was about to buy tickets to this, generally like Clint's films, saw your comment about the guys playing themselves and then I decided to do some more reading ... it's getting panned. So we decided to see Ladybird instead which was on at same time - and it was really good. It basically has that Irish bird playing Greta Gerwig (the director) in what I assume is a autobiographical story. Not as hipster as the films Gerwig usually acts in.


Glad you missed that shitshow and watched a much better film. I was really surprised that Eastwood could direct such a terrible film, it was borderline experimental.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19530
Location: Centre of the Universe
A bit cheesy, but I'm always up for seeing a war flick from another country and in a conflict that doesn't get covered a lot in film.

Image

Healthy mix of Rogue One, Dirty Dozen / Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan, and Tobruk... but set during the Korean War and with heavy-handed dialogue and exaggerated deaths I suspect is a 'thing' in Asian films?

Spoiler: show
I really liked the flashback scene at the end, with each of the main men in the team give their reasons for signing on. Haven't seen that done before as a retrospective.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13610
Nieghorn wrote:
A bit cheesy, but I'm always up for seeing a war flick from another country and in a conflict that doesn't get covered a lot in film.

Image

Healthy mix of Rogue One, Dirty Dozen / Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan, and Tobruk... but set during the Korean War and with heavy-handed dialogue and exaggerated deaths I suspect is a 'thing' in Asian films?

Spoiler: show
I really liked the flashback scene at the end, with each of the main men in the team give their reasons for signing on. Haven't seen that done before as a retrospective.

I assume you've seen Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi) - the Korean War film?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19530
Location: Centre of the Universe
UncleFB wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
A bit cheesy, but I'm always up for seeing a war flick from another country and in a conflict that doesn't get covered a lot in film.

Image

Healthy mix of Rogue One, Dirty Dozen / Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan, and Tobruk... but set during the Korean War and with heavy-handed dialogue and exaggerated deaths I suspect is a 'thing' in Asian films?

Spoiler: show
I really liked the flashback scene at the end, with each of the main men in the team give their reasons for signing on. Haven't seen that done before as a retrospective.

I assume you've seen Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi) - the Korean War film?


Yeah, thought that one was way more cheesy and cliched than this. This really reminded me of a 60s WW2 flick, which isn't such a bad thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11938
Watched a horror on Netflix called The Ritual. Quite good I thought 7/10.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40670
The Native wrote:
Watched a horror on Netflix called The Ritual. Quite good I thought 7/10.


Just about to watch it now.

The ending was a wee bit telegraphed but the film built the atmosphere in the forest very well.


Last edited by Kiwias on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, AD345, bimboman, Bing [Bot], Bwen, Chips, DragsterDriver, Edinburgh01, EverReady, Frodder, Heymans, Keith, kingswood, Laurent, Madness, matta25, message #2527204, MrBunhead, nardol, Santa, Snooze, Toro, unseenwork, yaums and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group