Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 am 

Early Man was genuinely funny. Aardman Animations does it again

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am 

Watched Roman J Israel
Don't actually know if I liked it
Do like watching Denzel and he was great again
Also a big fan of Farrell since In Bruges so was nice to see him in there too

Can't think of a movie where Denzel wasn't the lead/co-lead - must be a while back now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm 

Kid A wrote:
If anybody here appreciates cinematography, symmetry, photography and architecture - watch 'Columbus' (2017)

Cheers, enjoyed that one. Scene that screenshot is taken from in particular was excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:

Cheers, enjoyed that one. Scene that screenshot is taken from in particular was excellent.

Yeah it's pretty great (but not for everyone). It really flew under the 2017 radar. Haley Lu Richardson was fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm 

Catching up on my 2017 viewing

The Babysitter - Can understand the very different opinions on this one, but had some fun time with it, maybe 6/10

Blade Runner 2049 - to be honest found this one slightly boring, typical Villeneuve all style over substance the last block clearly setting up a sequel 6/10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm 

Salient wrote:
typical Villeneuve all style over substance

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am 

Watched Life (2017) again
Best alien creature movie since Alien. FACT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 am 

Cartman wrote:
Watched Life (2017) again
Best alien creature movie since Alien. FACT

You appear to have not seen 'Arrival', 'District 9', The Cloverfields, 'The Abyss', ' and Monsters',

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:36 pm 

Watched Early Man yesterday and was disappointed by it. Probably because the script was aimed at a much younger audience and that had something to do with it. The animation is excellent as ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm 

Dundee trailer looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brL-lwwHco
Lots of Hollywood Aussies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm 

Cartman wrote:

Is it a real film though? Rumours are that it's just a huge superbowl advert for something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Cartman wrote:

Is it a real film though? Rumours are that it's just a huge superbowl advert for something.

It's for Aussie Tourism to be shown at the Superbowl?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 pm 

Has anyone watched Love? 2011 film that seems to be a project associated with Angels and Airwaves (Tom Delonges band outside of Blink 182).

It's popped up on my Prime and was wondering if it is worth a watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Cartman wrote:

It's for Aussie Tourism to be shown at the Superbowl?

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 0nlmz.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm 

So I won tickets to Molly's Game from my mobile company.

It was absolute bollox. Just 90's level shite.

The Mrs and I bailed halfway through it was so shit.

2/10 -the rack is worth one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm 

death of stalin, absolutely brilliant, haven't laughed so hard since the sbw red card

"-can't lift, I have a bad back
-must be all that social climbing"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Looking forward to Villeneuve's next effort, as he's on a bit of a roll after Arrival and this.

Dune adaptation

It's going to be interesting to see if he can pull it off. Really hope he can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm 

Watched Winchester today, disappointed in it 4/10 at the most. The film could have been a lot more interesting but is a series of jump scares, something which has blighted the big budget horror film industry over the last few years. Very little atmosphere, very little going on in it. Though Helen Mirren is good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 am 

The Cloverfield Paradox 3/10.

OK if you have it on in the background as you do something else, but otherwise don't waste your time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 am 

Akkerman wrote:
death of stalin, absolutely brilliant, haven't laughed so hard since the sbw red card

Having been trying to find a copy of it anywhere (for a friend) as it's never going to be shown in Singapore, looks great.

It’s old news now, but finally saw Call Me By Your Name - a genuinely beautiful film. If you can handle all the man love, it’s worth a watch. Lead actor (Chalamet) deserves all awards, surely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 am 

naki wrote:
Akkerman wrote:

Having been trying to find a copy of it anywhere (for a friend) as it's never going to be shown in Singapore, looks great.

It’s old news now, but finally saw Call Me By Your Name - a genuinely beautiful film. If you can handle all the man love, it’s worth a watch. Lead actor (Chalamet) deserves all awards, surely.

I can't get hold of it in Oz.

RuggaBugga wrote:
So I won tickets to Molly's Game from my mobile company.

It was absolute bollox. Just 90's level shite.

The Mrs and I bailed halfway through it was so shit.

2/10 -the rack is worth one.

Such was your disgust with this (as a key member of the PR Move Snobs Club ;) ), which seemed out of step with other reviews out there, that it actually inspired me to go see it.

It was good, interesting story I knew nothing about, good performances from Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba - also didn't realise it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin until the end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am 

I really enjoyed I, Tonya. I love a bit of white trash culture. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:56 am 

Man In Black wrote:

I was thinking of seeing that tonight, I'm glad it's a good white trash 'thriller'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm 

Just seen Den of Thieves, it's 2 hour 20 minutes long and that is far too long, could have 30-40 mins cut out and you'd miss nothing. O’Shea Jackson Jr is great in it though, best character in the film. He's having a really good career.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 am 

Man In Black wrote:

Just got back from this. Really enjoyed it, strong acting performances throughout, especially the Mum, Robbie and the fat guy.

The montage of real clips at the end showed just how well they nailed it.

Also the soundtrack was ace. It was pretty much everything that over stylised piece of shite Molly's Game wasn't.

Unclefb will hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am 

My friend tells me its on DVD screener on Piratebay.
Whatever that means ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am 

Call Me By Your Name I highly recommend. Really nice love story. One to watch with the missus (or Mr as the case may be).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Just got back from this. Really enjoyed it, strong acting performances throughout, especially the Mum, Robbie and the fat guy.

Also the soundtrack was ace. It was pretty much everything that over stylised piece of shite Molly's Game wasn't.

Unclefb will hate it.

Not seen Molly's Game yet but I like the leads so may wait and watch at home if its shit. I thought Margot Robbie was excellent. She's clearly not just an incredibly beautiful face but had real, genuine acting talent!

There's no way she'll win the Oscar over Frances McDormand though. I mean I don't think so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm 

loving vincent, movie about van gogh, animated in the style of his paintings
gorgeous visuals, as expected, but not much else sadly, shit story, awful voice overs etc
5/10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 pm 

Anyone else looking forward to Black Panther? I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Very much a Marvel film but seems to be much fresher than the last lot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Unclefb will hate it.

Loved it, I'm an all comers movie lover ;).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 am 

Just come back from watching The 15:17 to Paris. What a boring movie, I forgot it was directed by Eastwood until the credits because it's nothing like any other movie he has done. Most of it just seems like it was someone's home movies and while it may have seemed like a good idea to have the three guys play themselves it really, really didn't work out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am 

The Phantom Thread is superb. Part twisted love story, part study of an obsessive artist. Daniel Day Lewis is very good, and not in the bombastic way he was in There Will be Blood. But the real star of the show is the actress who plays his sister Cyril. Quite a funny movie as well, which I wasn't expecting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 am 

bessantj wrote:
Just come back from watching The 15:17 to Paris. What a boring movie, I forgot it was directed by Eastwood until the credits because it's nothing like any other movie he has done. Most of it just seems like it was someone's home movies and while it may have seemed like a good idea to have the three guys play themselves it really, really didn't work out.

Thank you for this review. Was about to buy tickets to this, generally like Clint's films, saw your comment about the guys playing themselves and then I decided to do some more reading ... it's getting panned. So we decided to see Ladybird instead which was on at same time - and it was really good. It basically has that Irish bird playing Greta Gerwig (the director) in what I assume is a autobiographical story. Not as hipster as the films Gerwig usually acts in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:43 pm 

UncleFB wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Thank you for this review. Was about to buy tickets to this, generally like Clint's films, saw your comment about the guys playing themselves and then I decided to do some more reading ... it's getting panned. So we decided to see Ladybird instead which was on at same time - and it was really good. It basically has that Irish bird playing Greta Gerwig (the director) in what I assume is a autobiographical story. Not as hipster as the films Gerwig usually acts in.

Glad you missed that shitshow and watched a much better film. I was really surprised that Eastwood could direct such a terrible film, it was borderline experimental.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm 

A bit cheesy, but I'm always up for seeing a war flick from another country and in a conflict that doesn't get covered a lot in film.

Healthy mix of Rogue One, Dirty Dozen / Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan, and Tobruk... but set during the Korean War and with heavy-handed dialogue and exaggerated deaths I suspect is a 'thing' in Asian films?

Spoiler: show
I really liked the flashback scene at the end, with each of the main men in the team give their reasons for signing on. Haven't seen that done before as a retrospective.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
A bit cheesy, but I'm always up for seeing a war flick from another country and in a conflict that doesn't get covered a lot in film.

Healthy mix of Rogue One, Dirty Dozen / Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan, and Tobruk... but set during the Korean War and with heavy-handed dialogue and exaggerated deaths I suspect is a 'thing' in Asian films?

I really liked the flashback scene at the end, with each of the main men in the team give their reasons for signing on. Haven't seen that done before as a retrospective.

I assume you've seen Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi) - the Korean War film?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

I assume you've seen Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi) - the Korean War film?

Yeah, thought that one was way more cheesy and cliched than this. This really reminded me of a 60s WW2 flick, which isn't such a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 am 

Watched a horror on Netflix called The Ritual. Quite good I thought 7/10.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:50 am 

The Native wrote:
Watched a horror on Netflix called The Ritual. Quite good I thought 7/10.

Just about to watch it now.

The ending was a wee bit telegraphed but the film built the atmosphere in the forest very well.

Last edited by Kiwias on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next