Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 am 

Are 3D films with special glasses and shit still a thing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 am 

Watched 'It' last night.

What a great first hour. Creepy, genuinely scary with some very uncomfortable images and themes.

And then it turns into horror movie 101. Jump scares galore. Felt like the Goonies or Stand By Me gone hella dark.

Still - I thought Skarsgard was really good as Pennywise. The opening scene of his in the drain was pretty tense.

7/10 - think the sequel could be good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:

Sadly, yes. It's one of the biggest first world problems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 am 

bessantj wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

No 4D is where it is at these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am 

c69 wrote:
bessantj wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

No 4D is where it is at these days.

Theme park rides in cinemas are a different problem altogether.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 am 

Saw 'The Post' on Friday.

Solid if unspectacular drama with Hanks and Streep comfortably holding fort. Still enjoyable though, 6.5/10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am 

Phantom Thread is quite good. Not the masterpiece everyone is making out but it's very intriguing. Lesley Manville is awesome in it. As is Jonny Greenwood's ridiculous score.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm 

Finally got round to watching Killing of a sacred Deer after seeing it recommended on here.

Was excellent. Haven't seen a genuinely creepy/disturbing film like that in ages. Colin Farrell was excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Phantom Thread is quite good. Not the masterpiece everyone is making out but it's very intriguing. Lesley Manville is awesome in it. As is Jonny Greenwood's ridiculous score.

I thought it was an awful load of rubbish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Kid A wrote:

I thought it was an awful load of rubbish

I am not in the least bit surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Solid if unspectacular drama with Hanks and Streep comfortably holding fort. Still enjoyable though, 6.5/10

Yeah caught that recently. 6.5 sounds about right. Spielberg by numbers but the cast elevate it a little.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Finally got round to watching Killing of a sacred Deer after seeing it recommended on here.

Was excellent. Haven't seen a genuinely creepy/disturbing film like that in ages. Colin Farrell was excellent.

Could have done without the story about Farrell and his dad x(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:

Dogtooth and Alps also by Lanthimos are also worth a shout. Dogtooth in particular is very creepy...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm 

Black Panther opened here yesterday. Seen mostly positive reviews BUT also seen a few saying the movie is a bit preachy and full of itself. Take that as you will.

Watched Life, Mindhorn and Logan after seeing all recommended here. All great films, thanks lads. Did think the ending of Life was a bit cheap mind you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:

Yeah, it's a seriously strange film. I liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 pm 

hermie wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Yeah caught that recently. 6.5 sounds about right. Spielberg by numbers but the cast elevate it a little.

I'm off to see it on Friday, good to read it's ok.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am 

Watched Black Panther. Thought it was one of the better movies and is a good standalone film. The favt that the main villian isnt just completely evil and you can sympathise with him slightly or understand his motives helps. I thought the cast was all really good as well. 7/10

Also watched the Big Sick which was brilliant, the cast were all great as well. Felt like it dragged on a bit too long. Some scenes were laugh out loud funny. 8.5/10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:09 pm 

I too watched the black panther today - cracking movie, imho.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm 

Saw Coco yesterday, half term watching with my daughter.

I enjoyed it. Not Pixar's very best, but it kept both of our attentions and moved at a good pace, with some enjoyable tunes.

The twist was easy to spot, the second twist less so.

Blubbed a bit when the old lady with advanced dementia was focused on, reminded me too much of my own grandmother who is completely lost to reality.

Certainly worth watching.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:04 pm 

Just come back from Black Panther, very enjoyable and a really good sound track which surprised me until I learned Kendrick Lamar had something to do with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 pm 

Watched Three Billboards last night. It was great, as have others said.

My only real complaint was Abbie Cornish's accent. All over the place like a mad women's shit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 pm 

I thought Three Billboards bordered on the shite. Usual cwazy McDonagh characters that are entertaining enough but they didn't wed together that well this time. Dinklage should have told him to stick it up his hole when he was given the script but I presume he thought it was going to something deeper than it ended up being. It was just silly in so many places that the plaudits being lashed around have baffled me. The racist criticism isn't something I can connect with though as Rockwell is described as a cúnt to everybody, behaves like a cúnt to everybody and then has some sort of redemptive bit. Bit clunky for me but it was what it was. I reckon it initially went into the critical stratosphere because McDormand is a strong women blah blah in Trump's America. Fair enough but telegraphed to fúck and anybody who thinks it is good is thick. That is official before you start saying it is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:21 pm 

Decided I am not watching anymore blockbuster type movies, well for 6 months anyway. So in keeping with this revolution I watched Goodbye Christopher Robin last night. It was alright in that clipped English oeuvre that does be out there. I actually like those movies and rate the likes of Keep the Aspidistra Flying very highly. That movie had a roughness to it though that Robin can't ever get a hold of. Margot Robbie doesn't seem to know what she is meant to be and as the real life mother appeared to be a bitch she missed an opportunity to give it socks. The kid has two faces: very delighted and very disappointed. You know the way action man had that thing at the back of his head for his eyes well I think this kid has one for his mouth. Gleeson was grand as was McDonald. Overall they missed a trick as they should have made a better effort about what they were trying to say rather than wringing the tears out of the audience constantly. Still though happy with my no blockbuster choice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm 

EverReady wrote:
I thought Three Billboards bordered on the shite. Usual cwazy McDonagh characters that are entertaining enough but they didn't wed together that well this time. Dinklage should have told him to stick it up his hole when he was given the script but I presume he thought it was going to something deeper than it ended up being. It was just silly in so many places that the plaudits being lashed around have baffled me. The racist criticism isn't something I can connect with though as Rockwell is described as a cúnt to everybody, behaves like a cúnt to everybody and then has some sort of redemptive bit. Bit clunky for me but it was what it was. I reckon it initially went into the critical stratosphere because McDormand is a strong women blah blah in Trump's America. Fair enough but telegraphed to fúck and anybody who thinks it is good is thick. That is official before you start saying it is just my opinion.

When you’re right, you’re right ER.

It just did not work as a film at all. Paper thin characters given depth by top class actors. “Witty” dialogue where everyone speaks like they’re in a sitcom waiting for the laugh track to kick in. Horrible tonal shifts from comedy to violence to drama that feel like deliberate self parody - McDonagh should have just watched a single, bog-standard Sopranos episode to see how to do this properly.

Looks like it’s going to sweep all the awards shows too. Will be a travesty given the quality of films like the Florida Project and Call me by your name this season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

naki wrote:
EverReady wrote:

When you’re right, you’re right ER.

It just did not work as a film at all. Paper thin characters given depth by top class actors. “Witty” dialogue where everyone speaks like they’re in a sitcom waiting for the laugh track to kick in. Horrible tonal shifts from comedy to violence to drama that feel like deliberate self parody - McDonagh should have just watched a single, bog-standard Sopranos episode to see how to do this properly.

Looks like it’s going to sweep all the awards shows too. Will be a travesty given the quality of films like the Florida Project and Call me by your name this season.

We are both right. That is basically a majority.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 am 

The Florida Project is a beautiful movie, not a bad performance in it.

How such a performance was gotten out of the child actors is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 am 

Oh and Saw Meru - Good fluffy mountain climbing documentary. Well worth a watch if you're short of something in the evening.

Black Panther - Actually found this reasonably enjoyable. Camp, colorful nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 am 

Black Panther - better than average IMHO. At least it had a functioning plot, which put it a cut above every other superhero movie this decade, and mixed motives in the characterization. Acting was so-so, visually OK (just me, but the throne room of the mountain tribe, shaped tree branches hung in parallel lines to create a structured yet open space was my favorite image of the film). But once again the curse of modern movie-making, especially in the action sequences - Too. Much. CGI.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Oh and Saw Meru - Good fluffy mountain climbing documentary. Well worth a watch if you're short of something in the evening.

Black Panther - Actually found this reasonably enjoyable. Camp, colorful nonsense.

All right, who has hacked Floppy's account? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 am 

Kid A wrote:

DDL getting the gong though? Especially as it's his final movie?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Kid A wrote:

Unlikely, his performance was more restrained than the type the academy would normally go for. Will probably go to Oldman (impersonating a historical figure, universally respected actor who hasn't won one yet, lots of face putty required etc) but from those nominated I'd give it to Chalamet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 am 

naki wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Kid A wrote:

Unlikely, his performance was more restrained than the type the academy would normally go for. Will probably go to Oldman (impersonating a historical figure, universally respected actor who hasn't won one yet, lots of face putty required etc) but from those nominated I'd give it to Chalamet.

I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet and I assume he's a likable character in it, but he must be an awesome actor, because all I wanted to do throughout Lady Bird was punch him the face.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am 

Watched the film Remember with Christopher Plumber and Martin Landau last night. Very good film with a great twist that I didn't see coming. Recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 am 

UncleFB wrote:
naki wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Kid A wrote:

I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet and I assume he's a likable character in it, but he must be an awesome actor, because all I wanted to do throughout Lady Bird was punch him the face.

He is far from a likeable character at all - smug, spoiled, precocious, envious. But his character goes through the cliched coming-of-age arc in a more believable way than any other I’ve seen in some time, the kid has some real acting chops already.

Have only seen the first 15 minutes of Ladybird so far, any good?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 am 

Rewatched Arrival over the weekend, it is an absolute masterpiece. Gets better with every viewing IMO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:51 pm 

UncleFB wrote:

He is. Call me by your name was quite good - a bit cliched and predictable but Chalamet was amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:53 pm 

I watched Ruben Ostlund's 'The Square' last night. Absolutely phenomenal. Bonkers film.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm 

Just to reiterate my earlier recommendation, the film Remember is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 pm 

Just come back from The Shape of Water and it's such a good film. Del Toro is excellent at telling a fairy tale.

Last edited by bessantj on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm 

Death of Stalin - (an Ianucci joint) is outstanding. The Thick of it in the USSR.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll have people shot for not laughing or crying hard enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 194  Next