Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:03 am 

Geek wrote:
Saw the new Jumanji film this evening. Loads of fun, and certainly much better than it has any right to be. Big dumb fun, of course, but not in the same ballpark of stupid as the Transformers movies (which I gave up on after the 2nd) or anything like that. Jack Black is hilarious (not a sentence I ever thought I'd type), while the eye candy girl is sizzlingly hot.

Agree with this, and agree that it's a good fun film.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am 

Saw The Florida Project at the flicks today.

Great film if pretty grim at times. All of the leads were brilliant especially Defoe and the little girl.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 am 

As an aside I'm really looking forward to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. saw the shorts tonight and looks really good.

Loved In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

Both excellent films. Black humour in the finest Dr Strangelove tradition :thumbup:

In the event that you've not seen it already, check out What We Do In The Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 am 

Can't wait to see The Florida Project and Three Billboards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 am 

Mother!

terrible, awful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Both excellent films. Black humour in the finest Dr Strangelove tradition :thumbup:

In the event that you've not seen it already, check out What We Do In The Shadows

Martin McDonagh is a very good filmmaker.
His brother is not bad either. Wrote The Guard, Calvary and War on Everyone.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567620/?ref_=nv_sr_2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 pm 

Re-watched Mad Max: Fury Road on Netflix; looks every bit as amazing as I remember at the cinema. Shame it didn’t make a bit more use of Tom Hardy, but guess it’s not really a film for dialogue or serious acting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

SASP wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

I love the Guard. Calvary has been on my to-watch list for ages - bit worried it'll be a let down, so have been putting it off..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:32 pm 

Joost wrote:
Re-watched Mad Max: Fury Road on Netflix; looks every bit as amazing as I remember at the cinema. Shame it didn’t make a bit more use of Tom Hardy, but guess it’s not really a film for dialogue or serious acting.

It's why I prefer Mad Max 2 still.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 pm 

Saw The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Pretty good action flick.

Spoiler: show
it leaves some loose ends so there should be a sequel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

Atomic blonde is good craic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:38 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Saw The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Pretty good action flick.

it leaves some loose ends so there should be a sequel

Are they both not way too old for this kind've movie?

Jackie was at his best when young in films like (both) Drunken Masters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 pm 

Jackie still got the moves. He pulled off a flying double kick in one of the fight scenes.

Brosnan was basically doing a Gerry Adams impression.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

I'm from Wellington and spent most of my student days cooped up in a dingy flat in Te Aro. I think it's about me.

Incidentally Waititi announced there is a sequel coming out called We're Wolves.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 am 

Bowens wrote:
Jackie still got the moves. He pulled off a flying double kick in one of the fight scenes.

Brosnan was basically doing a Gerry Adams impression.

lol the moment i heard his irish accent, i was like, is he doing a Gerry? lol

Three billboards is out, looks interesting..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:52 am 

Geek wrote:
SASP wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

I love the Guard. Calvary has been on my to-watch list for ages - bit worried it'll be a let down, so have been putting it off..

The Guard is great, I know a lot of people rate Calvary better but it doesn't come close for me. I actually prefer War on Everyone to Calvary (still a good film, just where I place it amongst his three).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Bright as a concept would have been way better as a TV series. Don't really think it worked as a movie.

Would have liked way more backstory regarding the Tolkien world - how we got to this point etc.

Smith smacking the sh*t out of a fairy with a broom was pretty cool though.

Reminded me a lot of Alien Nation, which also became a tv series I seem to remember. I liked Bright a lot more than I expected, woudln't mind a tv version of it. Might be a bit like the Dresden files which was a book series turned short lived tv series.

Dying to see the Disaster Artist. Looks insane.

Yeah, I didn't mind it at all. Low expectations I guess after this thread.

Could have done with a bit of exposition at the beginning.

Sequel already locked in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:15 pm 

Geek wrote:
Saw the new Jumanji film this evening. Loads of fun, and certainly much better than it has any right to be. Big dumb fun, of course, but not in the same ballpark of stupid as the Transformers movies (which I gave up on after the 2nd) or anything like that. Jack Black is hilarious (not a sentence I ever thought I'd type), while the eye candy girl is sizzlingly hot.

Yes. Saw it mid week and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Well worth a watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:17 pm 

The Disaster Artist is a really well made and acted comedy movie.
Franco was brilliant as Tommy W.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 am 

SASP wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Martin McDonagh started off writing plays and his play The Lieutenant of Inishmore was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in the theatre - like a Tarantino version of Father Ted. There is a revival of the play on in London later this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:03 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Bright as a concept would have been way better as a TV series. Don't really think it worked as a movie.

Would have liked way more backstory regarding the Tolkien world - how we got to this point etc.

Smith smacking the sh*t out of a fairy with a broom was pretty cool though.

Reminded me a lot of Alien Nation, which also became a tv series I seem to remember. I liked Bright a lot more than I expected, woudln't mind a tv version of it. Might be a bit like the Dresden files which was a book series turned short lived tv series.

Yeah, I didn't mind it at all. Low expectations I guess after this thread.

Could have done with a bit of exposition at the beginning.

Sequel already locked in

I liked it, but have no desire to see a TV series or even a sequel (unless we get a look at, say, dwarves ... one other permutation and I think it'd wear thin.) Don't think it needed an intro either. I quickly assumed this is where fantasy lore ended up over time ... though it sure as hell took them long enough to get out of the swords/bow and arrow technology that seems to exists for 1000s of years in those kind of stories! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:53 am 

Yeah - the exposition was poor. A pre-credits scene of the Battles in the past would have worked better.

I was a bit taken aback on how the Orcs are quite clearly Black. I guess actors like Will Smith get the allegory and were ok with it.

The Elves were cool - rich W@nkers!

I Lol'd at the Centaurs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 am 

Geek wrote:
SASP wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Worth a watch. So long as you can take it for the allegory it is and suspend disbelief on everyone being remarkably well read and apt to quoting it.

Dylan Moran also pretty jarring early doors but redeems himself at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm 

'Lady bird' (2017)

A pretty exceptional first time effort at writing and directing by Greta Gerwig. The script is great, really great. And very funny. Saoirse Ronan gives quite a vibrant performance as the lead character who gives us all the typical teenage angst. A lot of critics have said the movie is about growing pains and coming of age, but after thinking about it for some time I think it's also about parenthood. This is a big plus point for the movie as it captures the feelings of Christine's parents (played brillianty by Tracey Letts and Laurie Metcalf). I see alot of similarities to Kenneth Lonnergan's 'Margaret' in this film, which is no bad thing. Gerwig has clearly surrounded herself with talented people and looks to have a pretty big career ahead of her.

7.5/10

'Three billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri' (2017)

Frances McDormand is one of the greatest actresses of all time. She's great in this. This film is great. It's very, very funny and feels a bit like a Cohen bros film, which is no surprise as McDormand is married to one of them. The only problem I had with it was the sudden change in personalities of a couple of characters in the third act and the fact that it seems a little too heavily oscar baited at times in terms of script / tone. But that said it easily makes the top x movies of the year list.

8/10

'Buster's Mal Heart' (2017)

Massively ambitious film from director Sarah Adina Smith.She desribes it as " a meditation on individual responsibility in a mechanistic universe". It's a modern take on Jonah and the Whale, resembles The Shining, Twin Peaks and Eraserhead all rolled into one, and is a complete mindbender but very, very interesting. Rami Malek is superb as always and I'll be thinking about it for days.

7/10

'The Killing of a sacred Deer' (2017)

Tempted to call this a masterpiece. It's absurd,brilliant, funny, sad, completely intriguing and very well written. Lanthimos is a complete maverick.

9/10

'The Hero' (2017)

This isn't a flawless film. There are mis-steps and the script was foggy in places but Sam Elliott is absolutely amazing as the lead - a washed up actor with baggage who needs to reconcile a few things sharpish. Totally recommend this film if you are tempted to wander off the beaten track .

7/10

'Most beautiful Island' (2017)

Very impressive debut from Spanish writer / director Ana Asensio who also stars. It's a tense psycyhological thriller with some surreal elements. Right up my street. One of the films of the year. Probably give it 7.5/10 but maybe a bit more

'Mother' (2017)

A film like 'Mother!' is bound to divide audiences, especially with a third act so off the wall as this. But Aronofsky deserves credit for convincing major studios to make films that are not your typical straight up drama / horror / thrillers.

SPOIELRS:

What is especially great about the movie is that there is a huge amount of ambiguity into the films message, yet it remains extremely intriguing. That's the real accomplishment of a piece of work like this. There are biblical themes, nods to the difficulties of relationships / parenthood and messages / fore-warnings of human behaviour destroying the planet. Which one the audience chooses to go with is completely up to them

I'm not sure 'Mother!' is quite as good as Requiem or The Fountain, but then those two are absolutely superb films, Aronofsky is one of the true great modern film-makers

8/10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Yeah - the exposition was poor. A pre-credits scene of the Battles in the past would have worked better.

I was a bit taken aback on how the Orcs are quite clearly Black. I guess actors like Will Smith get the allegory and were ok with it.

I immediately thought that they were going down the same route District 9 did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm 

Saw Molly's Game yesterday.

Typical Aaron Sorkin talkathon and too long at 2 hr 20 mins so it may have dragged a bit if not for the lovely Jessica Chastain who dominated and carried the film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 pm 

Geek wrote:
SASP wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

The Guard is good if a little uneven and over does the Oirishness but Calvary is pure quality. Let us know if you work out who kills the
dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 am 

The Room defies belief.
I genuinely think Tommy Wiseau has an undiagnosed condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Focken Prawns!!!

Damn, I wish he'd hurry up with the sequel.

I think the Mech Suit combat scene is probably the best fight scene in modern cinema*

* The Barn fight in the Duellists is the best! :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am 

I preferred the very first duel in the Duellists.
Really great cinematography and tension.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 am 

Floppykid wrote:
I preferred the very first duel in the Duellists.
Really great cinematography and tension.

They are all good - the Barn one is the most realistic (i.e. complete exhaustion and technique out the window).

Will have to watch it again tonight! :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 am 

Kid A wrote:
'Lady bird' (2017)

A pretty exceptional first time effort at writing and directing by Greta Gerwig. The script is great, really great. And very funny. Saoirse Ronan gives quite a vibrant performance as the lead character who gives us all the typical teenage angst. A lot of critics have said the movie is about growing pains and coming of age, but after thinking about it for some time I think it's also about parenthood. This is a big plus point for the movie as it captures the feelings of Christine's parents (played brillianty by Tracey Letts and Laurie Metcalf). I see alot of similarities to Kenneth Lonnergan's 'Margaret' in this film, which is no bad thing. Gerwig has clearly surrounded herself with talented people and looks to have a pretty big career ahead of her.

7.5/10

'Three billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri' (2017)

Frances McDormand is one of the greatest actresses of all time. She's great in this. This film is great. It's very, very funny and feels a bit like a Cohen bros film, which is no surprise as McDormand is married to one of them. The only problem I had with it was the sudden change in personalities of a couple of characters in the third act and the fact that it seems a little too heavily oscar baited at times in terms of script / tone. But that said it easily makes the top x movies of the year list.

8/10

'Buster's Mal Heart' (2017)

Massively ambitious film from director Sarah Adina Smith.She desribes it as " a meditation on individual responsibility in a mechanistic universe". It's a modern take on Jonah and the Whale, resembles The Shining, Twin Peaks and Eraserhead all rolled into one, and is a complete mindbender but very, very interesting. Rami Malek is superb as always and I'll be thinking about it for days.

7/10

'The Killing of a sacred Deer' (2017)

Tempted to call this a masterpiece. It's absurd,brilliant, funny, sad, completely intriguing and very well written. Lanthimos is a complete maverick.

9/10

'The Hero' (2017)

This isn't a flawless film. There are mis-steps and the script was foggy in places but Sam Elliott is absolutely amazing as the lead - a washed up actor with baggage who needs to reconcile a few things sharpish. Totally recommend this film if you are tempted to wander off the beaten track .

7/10

'Most beautiful Island' (2017)

Very impressive debut from Spanish writer / director Ana Asensio who also stars. It's a tense psycyhological thriller with some surreal elements. Right up my street. One of the films of the year. Probably give it 7.5/10 but maybe a bit more

'Mother' (2017)

A film like 'Mother!' is bound to divide audiences, especially with a third act so off the wall as this. But Aronofsky deserves credit for convincing major studios to make films that are not your typical straight up drama / horror / thrillers.

SPOIELRS:

What is especially great about the movie is that there is a huge amount of ambiguity into the films message, yet it remains extremely intriguing. That's the real accomplishment of a piece of work like this. There are biblical themes, nods to the difficulties of relationships / parenthood and messages / fore-warnings of human behaviour destroying the planet. Which one the audience chooses to go with is completely up to them

I'm not sure 'Mother!' is quite as good as Requiem or The Fountain, but then those two are absolutely superb films, Aronofsky is one of the true great modern film-makers

8/10

Yep, Killing of a Sacred Deer and Three Billboards are both brilliant. I've been a huge Frances McDormand fan ever since Blood Simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:34 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Focken Prawns!!!

I think the Mech Suit combat scene is probably the best fight scene in modern cinema*

I prefer the apart fight scene in the Bourne Identity or the fight scene where Bourne kills the Moroccan/North African agent in the Bourne Ultimatum.

Agree about the Duellists though. Best sword/weapon fight scenes I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 am 

The Native wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Focken Prawns!!!

I prefer the apart fight scene in the Bourne Identity or the fight scene where Bourne kills the Moroccan/North African agent in the Bourne Ultimatum.

Agree about the Duellists though. Best sword/weapon fight scenes I can think of.

Caveat should probably be Military Fight Scenes. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 am 

Have been working from home the ast couple of days. Have managed to watch Atomic Blonde and Blade Runner 2049. Both pretty entertaining. 6/10 for the former and 7/10 for the latter.

Will try and get through It, Dunkirk and Wind River tonight and tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 am 

Just finished Wind River. 8/10. Surprisingly powerful and resonant with me. Probably as I have a daughter.

When not in comicbook films I find Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen very good. I quite like contemporary Westerns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 am 

The Native wrote:
Just finished Wind River. 8/10. Surprisingly powerful and resonant with me. Probably as I have a daughter.

When not in comicbook films I find Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen very good. I quite like contemporary Westerns.

Looking forward to watching this later tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Yep, Killing of a Sacred Deer and Three Billboards are both brilliant. I've been a huge Frances McDormand fan ever since Blood Simple.

She's amazing. If you can find it, watch the HBO mini-series 'Olive Kitteridge'. Her and Richard Jenkins are on top form and even Bill Murray appears.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 pm 

Is it just me or does the Darkest Hour look shite? Gary Oldman puts on three inches of prosthetics and ACTS to the back of the room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6998 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175  Next