Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 am 

naki wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
As an aside I'm really looking forward to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. saw the shorts tonight and looks really good.

Loved In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.

Caught this on Friday. Bloody good although decidedly darker than the other two. More Drama with a smattering of comedy than vice versa.

Woody Harrelson, Frances McDormand and the dude from Travellers/Will & Grace were all outstanding.

The acting was superb but I don’t think McDonagh handled the tonal whiplash between comedy and violence very well, at least not as well as in In Bruges. It was often jarring and not in a good way. Having Frances McDormand there (who was of course fcking excellent) just reminded me of how much better the Coen’s would have juggled those contrasts.

Seems like I’m in a minority of one though based on the reviews. Still worth watching, if just for Sam Rockwell

Yeah I'd agree. He just seemed to crank the dial up a bit too far and thus lost any of the levity.

Spoiler: show
the whole thing being based upon the daughter being raped, tortured and burned to death probably contributed. She could just as well have been "missing" imo

Still I thought it was pretty good on the most part although the acting carried it somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
As an aside I'm really looking forward to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. saw the shorts tonight and looks really good.

Caught this on Friday. Bloody good although decidedly darker than the other two. More Drama with a smattering of comedy than vice versa.

Woody Harrelson, Frances McDormand and the dude from Travellers/Will & Grace were all outstanding.

Huh? I don't think there was anyone from those shows in it.

I didn't have a problem with the tonal shifts - it's what I expect in a McDonaghs brothers film.

Three Billboards is so much better than Seven Psychopaths - a return to form in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am 

UncleFB wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Huh? I don't think there was anyone from those shows in it.

I didn't have a problem with the tonal shifts - it's what I expect in a McDonaghs brothers film.

Three Billboards is so much better than Seven Psychopaths - a return to form in my opinion.

:lol: Nah Rockwell just looks like him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 am 

Yes, much, much better than 7 Psychopaths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 am 

The Florida Project - as brilliant as it is heartbreaking. 9/10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 pm 

2017 in movies (UK Release dates):

1.Frantz
★★★★½

2.The Killing of a Sacred Deer
★★★★½

3.The Handmaiden
★★★★½

4.Manchester by the Sea
★★★★½

5.The Florida Project
★★★★½

6.Moonlight
★★★★

7.Blade Runner 2049
★★★★

8.Good Time
★★★★

9.A Ghost Story
★★★★½

10.Personal Shopper
★★★★

11.Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
★★★★

12.The Eyes of My Mother
★★★★

13.Lady Bird
★★★½

14.Beatriz at Dinner
★★★★

15.Marjorie Prime
★★★★

16.Dunkirk
★★★★

17.It Comes at Night
★★★★

18.Raw
★★★½

19.Most Beautiful Island
★★★★

20.Buster’s Mal Heart
★★★½

21.Land of Mine
★★★★

22.Wind River
★★★★

23.Certain Women
★★★½

24.The Salesman
★★★★

25.Elle
★★★½

26.Jackie
★★★½

27.Jawbone
★★★½

28.The Beguiled
★★★

29.Loving
★★★

30.Okja
★★★½

31.Lion
★★★★

32.Brigsby Bear
★★½

33.Band Aid
★★★

34.The Red Turtle
★★★

35.Bottom of the World
★★★

36.Una
★★★

37.Detour
★★★

38.I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore
★★★

39.Free Fire
★★½

40.Get Out
★★½

41.Shot Caller
★★★

42.Baby Driver
★½

43.Hacksaw Ridge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:48 pm 

You put a lot of effort into that, I can tell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
You put a lot of effort into that, I can tell

It took me about a year to complete.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm 

That's a shame

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
That's a shame

For you maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 pm 

Nice list Kid A. Certainly agree on Hacksaw ridge, but sure that's been done on the thread. Probably only seen a third of those (and none of that top three), but my top 5 would be:

Ghost Story
Manchester by the Sea
Blade Runner 2049
Moonlight
Dunkirk

Only just saw Blade Runner 2049 the other week. As someone who liked the original, but wasn't a total fan boy, I thought it was excellent. Some unreal cinematography and the story is given plenty of room to breathe. Looking forward to Villeneuve's next effort, as he's on a bit of a roll after Arrival and this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Looking forward to Villeneuve's next effort, as he's on a bit of a roll after Arrival and this.

Dune adaptation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Looking forward to Villeneuve's next effort, as he's on a bit of a roll after Arrival and this.

Cheers. Have you seen his previous work? More or less everything he's done is exceptional. 'Polytechnique' is terrifyingly realistic. 'Enemy' is a brilliant headfuck movie. And obviously 'Prisoners' and 'Sicario' are big hollywood efforts. Top notch director. Can't wait to see what he does with 'Dune'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Dune adaptation

Ah yeah. Had heard that was in the works, but didn't know it was him. Excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm 

I am aquiver with anticipation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Cheers. Have you seen his previous work? More or less everything he's done is exceptional. 'Polytechnique' is terrifyingly realistic. 'Enemy' is a brilliant headfuck movie. And obviously 'Prisoners' and 'Sicario' are big hollywood efforts. Top notch director. Can't wait to see what he does with 'Dune'.

Only seen Sicario, so will take a look when I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 am 

You might also want to check out Incendies (if you don't mind subtitles or speak French). We had it in a library I worked in and it barely stayed on the shelf, it was so popular.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
You might also want to check out Incendies (if you don't mind subtitles or speak French). We had it in a library I worked in and it barely stayed on the shelf, it was so popular.

Very good film. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 am 

just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ..great movie but it doesn't really have a real ending which is a let down :( 8.5/10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am 

Watched The Disaster Artist lat night, great flick. Franco, who I hate, is class.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm 

comets wrote:
just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ..great movie but it doesn't really have a real ending which is a let down :( 8.5/10

Surely, the ending was about redemption and forgiveness?

I really liked the way McDormand and Rockwell's characters had both experienced a turnaround. The car turning round and going back home literally represents their acceptance / closure about their individual situation and finally gives the viewer some hope that they have made choices that will improved their lives. It's an optimistic ending. Loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm 

Kid A wrote:
comets wrote:

I really liked the way McDormand and Rockwell's characters had both experienced a turnaround. The car turning round and going back home literally represents their acceptance / closure about their individual situation and finally gives the viewer some hope that they have made choices that will improved their lives. It's an optimistic ending. Loved it.

Like Comets probably I wanted a rapist to die a horrible death

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm 

Only just got around to watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Great little film! I didn't really care for What We Do in the Shadows, but this was a fine return to what I loved so much about Boy.

Any other Waititi films worth watching?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Only just got around to watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Great little film! I didn't really care for What We Do in the Shadows, but this was a fine return to what I loved so much about Boy.

Thor Ragnarok is pretty funny for a super hero film. Worth seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Just looked at the trailer and rented it on Netflix (DVD only). Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Just looked at the trailer and rented it on Netflix (DVD only). Thanks.

The Year 2000 just called...it wants its DVD back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 am 

Kid A wrote:
comets wrote:

thats the thing, the car never turns around so we don't know if they went ahead with their plan or they decided not to go with it,...but it will be interesting if they did (can open to a sequel) and when McDorman's character notices who this guy is and tells Rockwells' character what he said at the shop, they might get their vengeance or he might reveal something which may lead the two to uncover something big........this was definitely no a feel good movie as someone said above, it would have been nice to see Justice prevail for once but i think it followed true to "reality" though that a majority of cases like this never get solved...personally my favorite part about the movie was what McDormans' character said to the priest..i have never heard the word culpable used so many times in a paragraph before lol..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 am 

Only movie from last year I genuinely enjoyed, perhaps because I had no expectations going in. Subversive, funny, and oddly realistic:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 am 

Nieghorn wrote:

You should try and get hold of his two short films. Two Cars, One Night which was the impetus for Boy and Tama Tu.

I prefer Tama Tu, and it's in your military interest wheelhouse, about a Maori Battalion unit.

Ok, here's some links I've found, you may need a to use Hola or another VPN as it's an NZ site.
https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/tama-tu-2004

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/two-ca ... night-2003

I think his only other feature film is Eagle vs Shark which is quirky (has comparisons to Napolean Dynamite).
There's also episodes of Flight of the Concords, and for acting alone an NZ movie called Scarfies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 am 

Lacrobat wrote:
Only movie from last year I genuinely enjoyed, perhaps because I had no expectations going in. Subversive, funny, and oddly realistic:

Great film, although I feel sad for you that you only enjoyed one movie last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

You should try and get hold of his two short films. Two Cars, One Night which was the impetus for Boy and Tama Tu.

I prefer Tama Tu, and it's in your military interest wheelhouse, about a Maori Battalion unit.

Ok, here's some links I've found, you may need a to use Hola or another VPN as it's an NZ site.

I think his only other feature film is Eagle vs Shark which is quirky (has comparisons to Napolean Dynamite).
There's also episodes of Flight of the Concords, and for acting alone an NZ movie called Scarfies.

Cheers!

I may have actually seen Eagle vs Shark, but it was that ... 'memorable'. :)

Tama Tu sounds great. Will try the links or hunt it down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 am 

Saw Wonder tonight, it's a little sickly sweet in parts but quite enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 am 

Idris Elba is coming out with Yardie in the next few weeks. It is supposed to be pretty good. Shwoing at Sundance next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 am 

3BOEM is a good film but far too clunky at times to be considered a great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am 

Nieghorn wrote:

I saw Hunt on the plane recently and really enjoyed it. It resembles Sleeping Dogs but without the serious overtones.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:28 am 

Finally got to see The Road.

It's a bit grim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:31 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Finally got to see The Road.

It's a bit grim.

Yep, not exactly an uplifting film, pretty faithful to he book as well.

Saw ‘All the money in the world’ last night. Plummer was superb I thought, could not picture Spacey playing the role of Getty. Sadly the film was spoiled by the twat next to me who tried to snore his way through the whole film who later threatened to ‘chop my head off’ after I woke him for the umpteenth time to get him to shut the fudge up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am 

Really don't see what's so great about best pic front runner, The Shape of Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Cheers!

I may have actually seen Eagle vs Shark, but it was that ... 'memorable'. :)

Tama Tu sounds great. Will try the links or hunt it down.

Tama Tu has the best Maori head nod scene in the history of film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 pm 

Recently saw:

Florida Project - bit of a slow burn but overall great, would recommend. The kid actor is great.
Molly's Game - good story and well told, but nothing to set the heather on fire.
Toni Erdman - Quite absurd and surreal, uncomfortably funny and despite the length and origin very good German comedy.

Next on the list is Mother!

Last edited by dargotronV.1 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 194  Next