Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8074 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 202  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm 

The past few weeks going through a host of films that were mainly recommended from here.

March or Die 5/10
The Enemy Below 6/10
Blood In, Blood Out 5.5/10
A Touch of Sin 7/10
White Tiger 1/10 - who the f recommended that?
Days of Glory 6.5/10
Incedies 7.5/10
Lebanon 5/10
Cross of Iron 3/10
Run Silent, Run Deep 6/10

Also just saw 6 days - about the Iranian Embassy/SAS siege 6.5/10

Was on the way to watch Black Panther with my wife and kids, when en route they changed their mind and we saw Peter Rabbit instead. F it! What a change in genre that was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:
Death of Stalin - (an Ianucci joint) is outstanding. The Thick of it in the USSR.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll have people shot for not laughing or crying hard enough.

Watched it yesterday. Superb film

Jason Isaacs as Zhukov was a highlight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
The past few weeks going through a host of films that were mainly recommended from here.

March or Die 5/10
The Enemy Below 6/10
A Touch of Sin 7/10
Days of Glory 6.5/10
Incedies 7.5/10
Lebanon 5/10
Cross of Iron 3/10

Was on the way to watch Black Panther with my wife and kids, when en route they changed their mind and we saw Peter Rabbit instead. F it! What a change in genre that was.

Ah, that's a shame you didn't enjoy cross of iron - thought it was superb, personally.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Just come back from The Shape if Water and it's such a good film. Del Toro is excellent at telling a fairy tale.

Spoiler: show
Fish man f**king is a fairy tale? ;)

I thought it was decent, a bit twee of whimsical for my liking, doesn't come close to Pans Labyrinth.

I think I'm over Michael Shannon playing that same type of character, he does it too often now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Death of Stalin - (an Ianucci joint) is outstanding. The Thick of it in the USSR.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll have people shot for not laughing or crying hard enough.

Great film.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 pm 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Great film.

Is this available in the SH? I haven't been able to find it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 am 

UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Great film.

According to my friend, there are several versions available on Demonoid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Great film.

According to my friend, there are several versions available on Demonoid.

Did your friend say what the quality was like?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 am 

He said it's fine and he found it very watchable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 am 

UncleFB wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Just come back from The Shape of Water and it's such a good film. Del Toro is excellent at telling a fairy tale.

I thought it was decent, a bit twee of whimsical for my liking, doesn't come close to Pans Labyrinth.

I think I'm over Michael Shannon playing that same type of character, he does it too often now.

Yeah, he's able to set up worlds that seem to be in ours yet feel otherworldly very well. Also the 'fish-man' seemed like it's Abe Sapian's back story. Shannon has been sort of type cast into that role these days. He is good at it though.

Last edited by bessantj on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:

Can he define fine? 1080p? :D Or 720p or DVDRIP? x(

Cheers to him in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:11 am 

Geek wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

March or Die 5/10
The Enemy Below 6/10
A Touch of Sin 7/10
Days of Glory 6.5/10
Incedies 7.5/10
Lebanon 5/10
Cross of Iron 3/10

Ah, that's a shame you didn't enjoy cross of iron - thought it was superb, personally.

I know a few people who really like it, but not my cup of tea. Love James Coburn though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 am 

UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

He says "all of the above". He got the 1080 version and was very happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:25 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

Awesome, thanks to your friend. I've let my friend know because he really wants to watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am 

UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

Awesome, thanks to your friend. I've let my friend know because he really wants to watch it.

All good, my friend is sure your friend will enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Geek wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

March or Die 5/10
The Enemy Below 6/10
A Touch of Sin 7/10
Days of Glory 6.5/10
Incedies 7.5/10
Lebanon 5/10
Cross of Iron 3/10

I know a few people who really like it, but not my cup of tea. Love James Coburn though.

Forgot to add A Perfect Day with Benicio Del Toro, Tim Robbins and super hot Olga Kurylenko. Al lovely little movie. 7.5/10.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am 

Watched the Cloverfield Paradox. It was a bit shit, really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 am 

Finally watched The Last Jedi. The animated How It Should Have Ended parody is better. The Akbar bit is brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

It was never going to be as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane which was great. The original one was rough too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:

My friend loved it, he was cackling away. Apparently, Zhukov was particularly hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 am 

UncleFB wrote:
My friend loved it, he was cackling away. Apparently, Zhukov was particularly hilarious.

:thumbup: My friend said he's glad your friend enjoyed it. Apparently the humour's wickedly dark, but I'll have to take his word for it.

"Long live Stalin!" BANG!

"Long live Stalin!" "Stalin's dead. Beria's in charge now." "Long live Be..." BANG! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 pm 

I went to see The Shape of Water last week, as I had a spare afternoon kicking around. I couldn't believe how bad the previews were before the film, and I started to recall that I despise Hollywood, with its lesbian heavy studio exec profile, but managed to put that out of my mind. What followed I couldn't quite believe. I was squirming in my seat at the sheer awfulness of the main film. How was this man able to get budget signed off? This deriviative twee over-produced one-act drivel was so dire, as it plonked heavily and clumsily away on all the high school cliches I don't think Del Toro should ever be allowed to direct anything again. Of course he's a notorious shape shifter, being the wealthy white son of a Mexican industrialist posing as a minority so this kind of perverse nonsense is his thing I guess.

Anyway, if it was possible to ask for my money back I would have, as I watched in disbelief as the mute sheila fcked the fish man and the crazy mad angry stale white guy was outwitted by the sassy black sheila and the long-suffering closeted homo. But eventually it ended in a precditble outcome, and I was able to escape to get a coffee and ponder the existence of such an awful film - one that I knew had been inevitably garlanded with accolades by the morons in the industry.

So I turned to the Guardian and was startled to see even the great Kermode suckered in by this pile of shite. 5 stars!!! Well, something is not right in my head I thought. I will have to go back to drinking because if this is what it looks like watching a film without a good scotch or two then the whole experience is nixed for me. But it was interesting how many in the comments were of my view, and Kermode got a bit of a kicking. A few lonely cat ladies were obviously into the fish sex thing, but it was interesting just how many erudite reviewers put the boot into the film and Kermode's review.

Something odd is happening, and we see it with the wide discrepencies going on in the review sites. Knowledgeable film goers are beginning to diverge from the people in the industry who greenlight the productions (the battalion of lesbians mentioned above) and the critics who gobble this appalling fair up and perpetuate the shambles.

Hollywood is heading for its Brexit moment.

The one light of sanity is as ever the sainted Joan Collins, who wrote in the Speccie that the pile of DVDs sent to her by the Academy this year to vote on the awards were so bad she was considering not voting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

:thumbup: My friend said he's glad your friend enjoyed it. Apparently the humour's wickedly dark, but I'll have to take his word for it.

"Long live Stalin!" "Stalin's dead. Beria's in charge now." "Long live Be..." BANG! :lol:

It was very very very desperately poor. Jason Issacs' turn the only half-decent thing in it.

Iannuci's fearsome clout being the reason why it wasn't give the 1 star kicking it deserved.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Absolutely shite. I won't even give it words.

I liked Death of Stalin enough. Isaacs is great and it is generally watchable after the 6 very strong beers I had had. I did think it was pretty tight at the start and lost its way after a while. Tbf that coincided with moving into phase beer 7 to 10. Did think Palin was just ok and I say that as somebody who really likes him as an actor. Almost like he had been out of acting for years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

It was very very very desperately poor. Jason Issacs' turn the only half-decent thing in it.

Iannuci's fearsome clout being the reason why it wasn't give the 1 star kicking it deserved.

I thought it was great fun. Hey ho, each to their own.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 pm 

UncleFB wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Just come back from The Shape if Water and it's such a good film. Del Toro is excellent at telling a fairy tale.

This! I am a bit tired of the General Zod theatrics. Want to see him as a shouty good guy again :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 pm 

'Mute' (2018)

I've been looking forward to this for a few years ever since Duncan Jones announced it. I loved 'Moon', and 'Source Code' was ok.

'Mute', is hands down one of THE worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of watching considering my expectation levels. The entire script, set design, tone, plot, subplots and direction is absolutely disgusting. Even Clint Mansell's score is forgettable.

Devastatingly bad.

3/10. And the 3 is for Paul Rudd's moustache.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 pm 

Kid A wrote:
'Mute' (2018)

I've been looking forward to this for a few years ever since Duncan Jones announced it. I loved 'Moon', and 'Source Code' was ok.

'Mute', is hands down one of THE worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of watching considering my expectation levels. The entire script, set design, tone, plot, subplots and direction is absolutely disgusting. Even Clint Mansell's score is forgettable.

Devastatingly bad.

Wish I had read this before I spent the last two hours or something watching it. An abysmal movie. Theroux is just shocking in it too.

Watched The Cloverfield Paradox too, completely crap. Have Netflix movies just hit a wall?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Kid A wrote:
'Mute' (2018)

Devastatingly bad.

Wish I had read this before I spent the last two hours or something watching it. An abysmal movie. Theroux is just shocking in it too.

Watched The Cloverfield Paradox too, completely crap. Have Netflix movies just hit a wall?

Was (half) reading an article yesterday/today, and a point was made that one of the ways Netflix is pumping out so much content is that they are making the shit that all the other content producers have already turned down (presumably, for good reasons).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Kid A wrote:
'Mute' (2018)

Devastatingly bad.

Was (half) reading an article yesterday/today, and a point was made that one of the ways Netflix is pumping out so much content is that they are making the shit that all the other content producers have already turned down (presumably, for good reasons).

Makes sense. I guess they just need content on the platform and tbh I feel less cheated that I watched those pieces of mierde on Netflix than if I had gone to the cinema.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Kid A wrote:
'Mute' (2018)

Devastatingly bad.

Both Mute and Cloverfield Paradox weren't commissioned by Netflix, they just picked them up didn't they? Seemingly they get them a bit cheaper, and apparently these Netflix exclusives do ok.

Many of there own movies have been little more than normal cable TV movie filler types anyway. I did enjoy War Machine when I stumbled on it having previously been unaware of its existence.

Anyway, Duncan Jones seems to be on a downward spiral.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:55 pm 

I thought they both were, assumed so since Netflix was front and centre. Same with Bright too which was also very poor. Just of the big-ish names they've had recently.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:56 pm 

Finally got round to watching Dunkirk. The history buff in me found it mildly vexing in some ways but as a film, excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
I thought they both were, assumed so since Netflix was front and centre. Same with Bright too which was also very poor. Just of the big-ish names they've had recently.

Cloverfield Paradox definitely wasn't commissioned by Netflix it was a Paramount film - I assume they're happy to have flipped it to Netflix with the mauling it got.

Maybe Mute is theirs? Edit: Apparently it was another Paramount film as well.

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Finally got round to watching Dunkirk. The history buff in me found it mildly vexing in some ways but as a film, excellent.

Which parts? (Genuinely asking, not trying to start a shit fight).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:25 am 

Didn't read too much about them UFB, just saw Netflix emblazoned over their online card and assumed they were Netflix productions. Wouldn't make me cancel my subscription or anything! Just thought they were very poor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

You've got to set aside your historical pedant side when watching a historical movie.
Liberties are fine, even good, if they're not too egregious and service a compelling theme.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Didn't read too much about them UFB, just saw Netflix emblazoned over their online card and assumed they were Netflix productions. Wouldn't make me cancel my subscription or anything! Just thought they were very poor.

All good, I just went down a rabbit hole because I remembered reading somewhere that they weren't Netflix productions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 am 

Duncan Jones a busted flush?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Duncan Jones a busted flush?

Have a watch of Mute and decide for yourself.

the answer is quite possibly

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8074 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 202  Next