Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3150
Location: Cuntsville. Population: 1
The Native wrote:
Plot and script were piss but I enjoyed it. Disengage your brain and enjoy.



Everything that is wrong with modern cinema summed up ^


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13311
Kid A wrote:
The Native wrote:
Plot and script were piss but I enjoyed it. Disengage your brain and enjoy.

Everything that is wrong with modern cinema summed up ^

It's not cinema. It's a movie. The celluloid equivalent of a quaffable drink.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3150
Location: Cuntsville. Population: 1
The Native wrote:
Kid A wrote:
The Native wrote:
Plot and script were piss but I enjoyed it. Disengage your brain and enjoy.

Everything that is wrong with modern cinema summed up ^

It's not cinema. It's a movie. The celluloid equivalent of a quaffable drink.


Nah. It's the celluloid equivalent of an alcopop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am 
Online

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 732
Location: England
The Native wrote:
Kid A wrote:
The Native wrote:
Plot and script were piss but I enjoyed it. Disengage your brain and enjoy.

Everything that is wrong with modern cinema summed up ^

It's not cinema. It's a movie. The celluloid equivalent of a quaffable drink.


I think cinema/movie is quite an important distinction to make. The two have very different sets of expectations and primary success criteria. In the latter entertainment is, broadly speaking, the aim and the latter is more devoted to artistry as an end in itself. That's not to say either type of film has to reject the aim of the other, indeed the best films synthesise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13311
Kid A wrote:
The Native wrote:
Kid A wrote:
The Native wrote:
Plot and script were piss but I enjoyed it. Disengage your brain and enjoy.

Everything that is wrong with modern cinema summed up ^

It's not cinema. It's a movie. The celluloid equivalent of a quaffable drink.


Nah. It's the celluloid equivalent of an alcopop.

Same same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10757
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Anyone seen 'First Man' yet?

A few decent reviews popping up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 3877
Location: Newport, Gwent
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Just been to A star is born, it’s going to clean up at the oscars, great performances by Lady Gaga and Cooper, brilliant soundtrack and some powerful scenes, well worth going to see.

Is it as good as the 1937 original?


Have seen that one, but it’s about 5 million times better than the last version.

And she gets her titties out :thumbup:

There's that part where Cooper leaves the bathroom and we're dangerously close to a full frontal from Gaga. Some perv is going to frame by frame that scene to get the best screenshot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3964
Location: Queensland!
bessantj wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Just been to A star is born, it’s going to clean up at the oscars, great performances by Lady Gaga and Cooper, brilliant soundtrack and some powerful scenes, well worth going to see.

Is it as good as the 1937 original?


Have seen that one, but it’s about 5 million times better than the last version.

And she gets her titties out :thumbup:

There's that part where Cooper leaves the bathroom and we're dangerously close to a full frontal from Gaga. Some perv is going to frame by frame that scene to get the best screenshot.


Hey when I get a spare ten minutes :blush:

Kadaicha aka Stones of Death (1988), decent enough Aussie mesh up of Poltergeist and A Nightmare on Elm Street, received a double headed release with Innocent Prey thanks to Umbrella Entertainment. Death by funnel web, the rest was amusing for mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1580
Location: Suburgatory
Last few films I've watched rated out of 10.

Mandy - 9. Loved it. Like David Lynch f**ked Antonioni and this was the beautifully ugly baby. Reminds you how good Nic Cage can be when he feels like it.

Black 47 - 7. I have an incredibly basic knowledge of Irish history. Turns out that potato famine was pretty f**king horrible.

Hotel Artemis - 6. Loved Jodie Foster. Meh about everything else.

Summer of 84 - 6. Does a decent job of jumping aboard the 80's nostalgia wagon, tho ends with a harder edge.

Breath - 8. Another Tim Winton coming of age adaptation set in the small beach town WA surf during the 70s. Gorgeously shot. The two young fella's are excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5606
i couldn't get past the first 10 minutes in MANDY lol...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1699
Saw The Wife yesterday, very good performances from Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce. Worth a watch. 8/10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31781
Location: Chickenrunning...
Rossco wrote:
Saw The Wife yesterday, very good performances from Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce. Worth a watch. 8/10


Close play the husband role?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27863
This Mandy Nicholas Cage thing looks super- Earl must be creaming himself https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... -1.3658875


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5606
just saw SEARCHING, old irish farts won't like this, i kinda enjoyed it, i give it a 9/10, people who love the internet will get this movie ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9796
Watched 22 July - paint ny numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10

Halfway through Apostle, a Welsh horror filum with Michael Sheen - not bad; my mate is one of the extras in it so scanning for him as well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
danny_fitz wrote:
Anyone seen 'First Man' yet?

A few decent reviews popping up.


Like Ryan Gosling, but cant stand these American memorialising films. a bit to Soviet for me.....
Similarly with 12 strong which the Mrs wanted to watch the other evening.
A few too many of this 'genre' of film has been proliferating in recent years, woudl love to know if they are state funded or get tax relief.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Speed Racer wrote:
Last few films I've watched rated out of 10.

Mandy - 9. Loved it. Like David Lynch f**ked Antonioni and this was the beautifully ugly baby. Reminds you how good Nic Cage can be when he feels like it.

Black 47 - 7. I have an incredibly basic knowledge of Irish history. Turns out that potato famine was pretty f**king horrible.

Hotel Artemis - 6. Loved Jodie Foster. Meh about everything else.

Summer of 84 - 6. Does a decent job of jumping aboard the 80's nostalgia wagon, tho ends with a harder edge.

Breath - 8. Another Tim Winton coming of age adaptation set in the small beach town WA surf during the 70s. Gorgeously shot. The two young fella's are excellent.



Nice round up - really helpful
Ill try Black 47 and Summer of 84


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 47552
Location: In the Centre/left wing
EverReady wrote:
This Mandy Nicholas Cage thing looks super- Earl must be creaming himself https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... -1.3658875

Cage is a truly unique actor.
To know Cage is to love Cage. To love Cage is to not know him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:06 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9956
comets wrote:
just saw SEARCHING, old irish farts won't like this, i kinda enjoyed it, i give it a 9/10, people who love the internet will get this movie ;)


I rather enjoyed that
Wont win any awards but good time waster


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm
Posts: 224
Went to see the new Peter Jackson documentary about WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old " last night, then there was a link to the London Premier of it and a Q&A with Peter Jackson from there.

What a brilliant piece of cinema! Not to be missed by anyone interested in history.

The BBC will be showing it on November 11th, make sure you watch it or record it!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33918
Kid A wrote:
'Leave no Trace' (2018)

Absolutely superb. Father and daughter living off the land are forced to reassess their options.


Wellington girl in the lead role.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7812
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched 22 July - paint by numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10


I watched this the other night. Still not sure what I think of it. The tension in the first 20-30 minutes was intense - but then it became a made for TV crime drama.

Reckon your 6 out of 10 is about right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 732
Location: England
Gazzamonster wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched 22 July - paint by numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10


I watched this the other night. Still not sure what I think of it. The tension in the first 20-30 minutes was intense - but then it became a made for TV crime drama.

Reckon your 6 out of 10 is about right.


Director gave a fairly interesting interview about it on the most recent episode of the Empire podcast, said the point of the film was to look at how Norway chose to confront Breivik's ideology.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22071
Gazzamonster wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched 22 July - paint by numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10


I watched this the other night. Still not sure what I think of it. The tension in the first 20-30 minutes was intense - but then it became a made for TV crime drama.

Reckon your 6 out of 10 is about right.

Suitable for wanking?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11961
Caught up with a few lately:

Breath - As above, nicely shot. Decent enough but never really took off for me. Not a huge fan of voice overs

Leave No Trace - Thought it was superb. Well acted (Thomasin McKenzie is a find), low key but powerful

Disobedience - Forbidden love story in a religious community (Orthodox Jews). Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams the star crossed lovers. Good in parts, dragged and a little overwrought in others

Lean On Pete - Another coming of age tale about a boy and a racehorse. Pretty dark in places very good overall. Last act felt a little out of place if being hyper critical.

The Guardians (Les gardiennes) - Pick of the bunch. Epic tale told over 5 years set almost entirely on a family farm somewhere in France during World War One. The men are away at on the front and return on leave from time to time. The women are left to run the farm. Directed by Xavier Beauvois (Of Gods and Men) with excellent performances from real life mother and daughter Nathalie Baye / Laura Smet and especially Iris Bry, as a young maid hired as a farm hand. Quietly devastating and an unfamiliar take on the Great War. Some of the scenes in the fields especially reminded me of Days of Heaven


Last edited by Margin_Walker on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31184
Uncle Fester wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched 22 July - paint by numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10


I watched this the other night. Still not sure what I think of it. The tension in the first 20-30 minutes was intense - but then it became a made for TV crime drama.

Reckon your 6 out of 10 is about right.

Suitable for wanking?


Jesus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1580
Location: Suburgatory
Margin_Walker wrote:
Lean On Pete - Another coming of age tale about a boy and a racehorse. Pretty dark in places very good overall. Last act felt a little out of place if being hyper critical.


I had no real idea what to expect. It turned into quite a harrowing tale. I liked it. 7/10

Saw a couple more films. Thank Dog for PopcornTime.

Cold Skin - Two guys stuck in a lighthouse on a very remote south Atlantic island on the eve of WW1 under constant night time attack from aquatic reptile like humanoids, probably because the guy who's been there longest has made one his sex slave. Is actually far better than it sounds. 6/10

American Animals - Entertaining docudrama with a large dose of "WTF?" comedic moments. Tho I finished it with the impression that they were a bunch of bored privileged juveniles who probably got off lightly than if they'd been anything but white and upper middle class. 7/10

Sleeping Beauty - I had the sister and young nieces stay during school holidays. They played it 5 times. I had no choice. NR.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 3877
Location: Newport, Gwent
Been to see Bad Times at the El Royale and it's good, clean family fun :thumbup: (do NOT take the family)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12224
Location: Spiritual Guardianland
Gazzamonster wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Watched 22 July - paint by numbers recreation of the Breivik massacre in Norway 6/10


I watched this the other night. Still not sure what I think of it. The tension in the first 20-30 minutes was intense - but then it became a made for TV crime drama.

Reckon your 6 out of 10 is about right.


Yeah seemed pretty low budget for a Netflix affair (and was directed by Paul Greengrass) Guy who played Breivig did a bang up job tho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 732
Location: England
Speed Racer wrote:

Cold Skin - Two guys stuck in a lighthouse on a very remote south Atlantic island on the eve of WW1 under constant night time attack from aquatic reptile like humanoids, probably because the guy who's been there longest has made one his sex slave. Is actually far better than it sounds. 6/10



Didn't make the most of the isolation, especially given the run time, but 6 is probably fair.



Saw Thoroughbreds last night. Offbeat little flick with slightly weird pacing about an emotionless teen, her friend and a vague idea to kill the latter's step dad. Anton Yelchin pops up and scene steals as a small time local dealer. A few laughs in the dialogue and it goes pretty dark in places. 7/10, definitely worth a watch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13333
Location: The centre of The Horrendous Space Kablooie!
Bram Stoker's Dracula on the telly. There is nothing about this film that isn't brilliant, from Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins engaged in a battle to see who can eat the most scenery, Keanu Reeves' accent, Cary Elwes, enormous knives, Victorian asylum chic with Tom Waits and Richard E. Grant (a TV series gone begging there) and amazing costumes all round.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 732
Location: England
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Bram Stoker's Dracula on the telly. There is nothing about this film that isn't brilliant, from Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins engaged in a battle to see who can eat the most scenery, Keanu Reeves' accent, Cary Elwes, enormous knives, Victorian asylum chic with Tom Waits and Richard E. Grant (a TV series gone begging there) and amazing costumes all round.


And boobs.

It's a ridiculous masterpiece of overblown excess, really is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33918
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Bram Stoker's Dracula on the telly. There is nothing about this film that isn't brilliant, from Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins engaged in a battle to see who can eat the most scenery, Keanu Reeves' accent, Cary Elwes, enormous knives, Victorian asylum chic with Tom Waits and Richard E. Grant (a TV series gone begging there) and amazing costumes all round.


Meh. Fast and Furious 7 on ITV2.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13333
Location: The centre of The Horrendous Space Kablooie!
sockwithaticket wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Bram Stoker's Dracula on the telly. There is nothing about this film that isn't brilliant, from Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins engaged in a battle to see who can eat the most scenery, Keanu Reeves' accent, Cary Elwes, enormous knives, Victorian asylum chic with Tom Waits and Richard E. Grant (a TV series gone begging there) and amazing costumes all round.


And boobs.

It's a ridiculous masterpiece of overblown excess, really is.


Just had Sadie Frost being ravaged by wolf thing Dracula.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13333
Location: The centre of The Horrendous Space Kablooie!
Also Gary Oldman's fabulous wigs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13011
Margin_Walker wrote:

Leave No Trace - Thought it was superb. Well acted (Thomasin McKenzie is a find)


She comes from a family of actors. Both her mother and grandmother (knighted for services to acting) are well known NZ actresses. But good for her breaking into the big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5606
mr bungle wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Leave No Trace - Thought it was superb. Well acted (Thomasin McKenzie is a find)


She comes from a family of actors. Both her mother and grandmother (knighted for services to acting) are well known NZ actresses. But good for her breaking into the big time.


she was good in shortland street before they actually 'killed off' her character..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16789
I thought Bram Stoker's Dracula was rather shit, but I have a healthy amount of respect for the craft in creating the visual effects without any use of digital trickery.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24685
Location: SOB>Todd
Watched Solo: A Star Wars story last night.
What a remarkably ugly looking film.
Felt quite flat in general.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BBB, bessantj, Biffer29, bimboman, Blake, CarrotGawks, Cartman, CrazyIslander, danthefan, David990, Diego, Google Adsense [Bot], haunch, houtkabouter, iarmhiman, Idle_Wild, I like haggis, Jim Lahey, lorcanoworms, Luckycharmer, Masterji, Monk Zombie, Mr Fedora, openclashXX, Risteard, Rugby2023, Sandstorm, Scrumhead, sockwithaticket, tabascoboy, TheBouncer, Theflier, Ulsters Red Hand, unseenwork, Winnie, ZappaMan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group