Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
They're filming what I think is a Mortal Kombat movie about a hundred feet from my office on a dock.
Fun watching the fight scenes.

The new Mark Wahlberg film is being filmed near me on Sunday. Why Mark Wahlberg for fecks sake? Can't it be the one where Scarlett Johansonn is walking down the road with barely anything put a fur coat on? Fecks sake.

Is that "Infinite"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:34 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
They're filming what I think is a Mortal Kombat movie about a hundred feet from my office on a dock.

The new Mark Wahlberg film is being filmed near me on Sunday. Why Mark Wahlberg for fecks sake? Can't it be the one where Scarlett Johansonn is walking down the road with barely anything put a fur coat on? Fecks sake.

Is that "Infinite"?

Yes.

I will not be watching that movie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 pm 

Kid A wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Is that "Infinite"?

Yes.

I will not be watching that movie.

I probably will. I'm up to 98 films seen in the cinema this year and am off to watch Official Secrets to creep closer to 100!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 pm 

bessantj wrote:
I probably will. I'm up to 98 films seen in the cinema this year and am off to watch Official Secrets to creep closer to 100!

Good man. I wish I could get to the flicks more. My home cinema is decent these days though, and it has a supply of wine.

I'm on 178 movies watched this year. Don't think I've ever made it to 200 in a calendar year so I'm on track.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:52 pm 

Kid A wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Good man. I wish I could get to the flicks more. My home cinema is decent these days though, and it has a supply of wine.

I'm on 178 movies watched this year. Don't think I've ever made it to 200 in a calendar year so I'm on track.

Now that's a goal. If I didn't have a cineworld card I wouldn't watch as many films in the cinema, it can be an irritating experience and is expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:24 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Is that "Infinite"?

Turns out it was just that shitty Flash TV show they were filming.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Is that "Infinite"?

Turns out it was just that shitty Flash TV show they were filming.

That's still going? It's having a good run! (pun not intended.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:17 pm 

Yup, even for a superhero show the Arrow/Flash series are mediocre.
No idea who watches them.

Going to go see The Lighthouse tonight for my bday, looking forward to it.
For dues to Robert Pattinson, he may well end up shaking off the Twilight series.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:23 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

For dues to Robert Pattinson, he may well end up shaking off the Twilight series.

Has he not already?

The last of those was 2012 wherein he also did Cosmopolis (not a film I enjoyed at all, but it certainly was different and an interesting choice for him) in the mean time he's done all manner of interesting smaller films with notable supporting turns in the likes of Maps to the Stars and Lost City of Z.

Really want The Lighthous to be good. The Witch was a touch overhyped, but it was a very good atmospheric horror film and in an era of cheap possession/haunting films that rely heavily on jump scares it was most welcome. More of the same (yet different) please.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm 

I haven't kept up to date with his career too much, just vaguely aware he is doing a lot of smaller movies to move on from the cheesy blockbuster issue he had. When I saw Garfield in the posters for Silence I found it very weird, same thing still happens for me with Pattinson when I see him.

I loved the Witch, thought is was brilliant all the way through. For a first time feature director it was amazing.
Lighthouse is meant to be similarly intense judging by the reviews anyway.
I'll let yas all know what I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:53 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
I haven't kept up to date with his career too much, just vaguely aware he is doing a lot of smaller movies to move on from the cheesy blockbuster issue he had. When I saw Garfield in the posters for Silence I found it very weird, same thing still happens for me with Pattinson when I see him.

I loved the Witch, thought is was brilliant all the way through. For a first time feature director it was amazing.
Lighthouse is meant to be similarly intense judging by the reviews anyway.
I'll let yas all know what I think.

Just expanding as I find it quite interesting, not because I have any love for Twiglet or it's increasingly horrendous sequels (as far as I'm concerned the only positive to come out of them is that they paid Anna Kendrick's bills, despite how small her role was, while she cut her teeth on more interesting indies).

It's interesting that the Twilight series is remembered that way because the first was quite a small film with a sub-$40 million budget and fairly unknown actors; it wasn't particularly well thought of and was greenlit with minimised risk in the way many such films were (before anything with a budget in the tens of millions migrated to the small screen or streaming in the form of prestige TV). Yet it delivered a $400 million return. The first sequel a mere year later had a slightly increased $50m budget and returned $700m. By the final one the budget was $120m and made $820m and obviously the cast were all much better known. They're an economic marvel as far as the film business is concerned and were kind of made blockbusters by rabid fan reception rather than being initially conceived as such.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:42 pm 

Be very careful here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:46 pm 

I like Melissa McCarthy, she's a good actor when she wants to be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:32 am 

Just read that they are making Avatar 2 and 3, with Sam Worthington in both. I enjoyed Avatar 1, but didn't love it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 am 

Floppykid wrote:

Good actor tbf

Also floppy give The Outer Worlds a whirl

It's great!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Just read that they are making Avatar 2 and 3, with Sam Worthington in both. I enjoyed Avatar 1, but didn't love it.

:lol:

Where've you been?! The continued pushing back of release dates and expansion to at least Avatar 4 has been pretty well documented over the last decade.

I'm not sure if we'll ever see them, if we do they're bound to be crap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 pm 

maxbox wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Good actor tbf

Also floppy give The Outer Worlds a whirl

It's great!

Bought it last night, played it for about 20 mins before the power went out.
Can't wait to keep playing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:29 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

Quote:
They sported it over some textured blue tights, which accentuated their gorgeous curvy figures.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:18 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

Where are you watching this? It's not out until late January here.

Pattinson is a great actor. 'The Rover' is his best performance. He's stellar in that. Good in 'High Life' too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:25 pm 

The King looks promising imo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:17 pm 

Just watched Oblivion - good film.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:20 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Where are you watching this? It's not out until late January here.

Pattinson is a great actor. 'The Rover' is his best performance. He's stellar in that. Good in 'High Life' too.

I suspect they might have said bringing you to the Lighthouse tonight which is a small arty farty cinema in Dublin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Where've you been?! The continued pushing back of release dates and expansion to at least Avatar 4 has been pretty well documented over the last decade.

I'm not sure if we'll ever see them, if we do they're bound to be crap.

I was expecting someone to stick it to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:34 am 

Floppykid wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Whole family trip to see Shaun The Sheep: Farmaggedon yesterday. Excellent, plenty for all ages and the ending is surprisingly moving given the subject matter.

I don't know if Scorsese approves of it. Probably not, the dialogue wasn't up to much.

I'd imagine he'd have no problem with a movie like it, kind of missing his point.

Would be a valid point if Shaun the sheep was a manufactured tortured wannabe anti-hero and the finale featured something very large crashing into the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:16 pm 

Saw Terminator Dark Fate in cinema
Reviews that i saw were spot on
Linda, Arnie were good. Luna is good.
Dani, the lead girl doesn't really work or maybe I'm not the target audience
Good action, although fast and furious style over the top in some scenes.
Not nearly as good as T2 but better than the ones in between, sort of.
T1000 still the best terminator
Same-ish storyline again, goddamnit
If this is what advanced AI is like we have nothing to worry about unless Dani is mankind's last hope, then we're f*cked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 am 

Got to see Le Mans '66 tonight, really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:19 am 

Anyone watched The King yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:59 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Saw Terminator Dark Fate in cinema
Reviews that i saw were spot on
Linda, Arnie were good. Luna is good.
Dani, the lead girl doesn't really work or maybe I'm not the target audience
Good action, although fast and furious style over the top in some scenes.
Not nearly as good as T2 but better than the ones in between, sort of.
T1000 still the best terminator
Same-ish storyline again, goddamnit
If this is what advanced AI is like we have nothing to worry about unless Dani is mankind's last hope, then we're f*cked
Agree with most of this - action was good, better than everything after T3, but the story was pretty weak and felt rushed - just bouncing from one action scene to the next with no real development. Some bus-sized plot holes in it too. I figured that maybe they were pointers to future movies, but I just read a Q&A with Tim Miller and, yeah, a number of these were simply holes.

Disagree about Hamilton tbh, think they kind of wasted her in this. Her first scene with Arnie is good, but short, then the rest of the time she's just being trash-talked by Grace. A lot of people have made comparisons with the new Star Wars movies, where childhood hero Skywalker has been seriously diminished, and I totally see that happening here too

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:35 pm 

Yeah, seems cynical.
Is it true they just
Spoiler: show
kill John Connor off immediately after what would be the ending of the second movie?
Rendering it all pointless?

Last edited by Floppykid on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Yeah, seems cynical.
Is it true they just
[spoiler]kill John Connor off immediately after what would be the ending of the second movie?
Rendering it all pointless?[\spoiler]

Some of the best spoiler usage in history.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:04 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Yeah, seems cynical.
Is it true they just
kill John Connor off immediately after what would be the ending of the second movie?
Rendering it all pointless?

It's true, and they said it was to allow a 'complete change of direction', but frankly it was pointless because
the core story is practically identical to what it's always been:

Skynet is now 'Legion'
T1000 is now Rev-9
John is now Dani
The Sam Worthington character from Salvation is now Grace
Judgement day is, well, still judgement day, but 7 billion die instead of 3 billion
And so on
Just pretty poor storywriting, tbh. There were somewhere between 5-7 writers instead of 1 person to keep it tightly-written, and it shows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 pm 

Did they ever suggest why the rev-9 didn't just stay split up all the time? Two is better than one surely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Did they ever suggest why the rev-9 didn't just stay split up all the time? Two is better than one surely.
not in the film but apparently (from the article with the Tim Miller Q&A) one of the press releases says that it's less powerful when split up

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:26 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
bessantj wrote:
not in the film but apparently (from the article with the Tim Miller Q&A) one of the press releases says that it's less powerful when split up

Massive orders of magnitude less powerful because you have to think that two would have been better than one even if they were weaker. Thought the augmented human that had a problem if they've been maxing out for too long was really good.

Recently I got to see T1 and T2 in the cinema and even if the special effects of T1 are hilariously dated it did remind me of how much I like practical special effects.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Massive orders of magnitude less powerful because you have to think that two would have been better than one even if they were weaker. Thought the augmented human that had a problem if they've been maxing out for too long was really good.

Recently I got to see T1 and T2 in the cinema and even if the special effects of T1 are hilariously dated it did remind me of how much I like practical special effects.
Yep. Conversely the SFX from T2 still stand up really well. There's a far heavier (and inferior) reliance on CGI in DF. Really pretty poor given that it looks less realistic than a movies that's 20+ years old

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Franno Ford Coppola has jumped in behind Scorses on the MCU.
Calling it detestable pretty much.

Top lads.

Or old men shouting at the clouds.

Also, Coppola made that ridiculous Dracula film (very enjoyable, but absurdly bombastic) with Keanu and Winona doing horrible English accents while both Sir 'Tony Hopkins and Gary Oldman chow down on scenery like they'd been starved for a month. Hardly one to talk.

As for Inarritu, meh. Hints at a snobbish view of what culture is. As I said on the other page, art vs. commerce. Some films are just setting out to give people a good time rather than plumb the deep, dark depths of the soul and there's nothing wrong with that. It's like sneering at Lee Child or Terry Pratchett for not being [insert literary prize winner no-one's heard of who wrote an allegedly deep and meaningful book about a disabled kite builder from rural Portugal who longs to climb a mountain]; their work (products) hase very different purposes.

If the tech had been available these sorts of films would have been created a lot earlier and I suspect they'd have been every bit as successful. From the very start, with the Lumiere bros and their train, cinema has been as much about delivering a spectacle and thrilling an audience. There are multiple ways of doing that, super hero films have just added themselves to the mix. I detect jealousy from these older film-makers.

Don't you ever compare Sam Vimes to Jack Reacher again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Yeah, seems cynical.
Is it true they just
thanks I read that

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Yep. Conversely the SFX from T2 still stand up really well. There's a far heavier (and inferior) reliance on CGI in DF. Really pretty poor given that it looks less realistic than a movies that's 20+ years old

I liked how young Sarah and John Connor looked but so much of it after that looked garbage. I find this with the Jurassic Park franchise as well. The original JP CG was excellent and still holds up. The new Jurassic World movies have some rough CG.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am 

Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Top lads.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Top lads.

The Godfather is the greatest movie ever made, it's the gold standard, I watch it regularly, but I'm currently re-watching Part 3. I always assumed that the addition of Robert Duvall as Hagen would have saved that movie, I now realise it is beyond redemption, it's a parody of a Godfather movie.

Coppola lost the ability to define cinema after making that piece of tosh.

What I learnt from that film, the enlightenment, the knowledge, is that even the greatest directors can shit the beds and turn out a despicable movie. It has inspired me not to re-watch Coppola's Dracula movie again because I might slit my throat.

I'd go with The Godfather II, but I was brilliant as well. I have probably seen both 30-40 times. I've only watched III a handful of times but don't think it as bad as all that. Not a great by any means, but ok. Let's say I much prefer it to GOT s8.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next