Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 257  Next
 Post subject: Re: F1 Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm 

Sydvicious wrote:
nardol wrote:
Have Merc won the constructors yet? Must nearly be there.

Unless something catastrophic happens, it's probably safe to say so. I know people moan about it, but they deserve it. It's not their fault that the other teams can't catch up.
it's only been 5 races

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:07 pm 

nardol wrote:
Merc have the most staff and the most money

Of course they are going to work it out quickest.

Ferrari outspend Mercedes, although not by a huge amount (around 4-5% last year). Red Bull are not that far behind, and have the man who is reckoned to be the best aerodynamicist of his generation (and possibly any other). What Mercedes are doing aero wise is VERY different to everyone else.

Although there's a correlation between money and performance it's not exact, nor is it automatic. McLaren, Williams, and Renault all continue to vastly outspend their midfield competition, for little to no result

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 pm 

What the flying fudge has happened to Williams? Surely they should be middle of the pack and not tail end charlies.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:05 pm 

Remember when button became world champ on a shoe string budget?

I long for the days when aero was more dominant. Merc just have such an advanced engine that's so stonkingly good they just blow everyone away.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 pm 

nardol wrote:

I long for the days when aero was more dominant. Merc just have such an advanced engine that's so stonkingly good they just blow everyone away.

Even those with the same engine.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm 

nardol wrote:

Bit disingenuous. Honda spent a fortune on that chassis - it was probably the most expensive out there that season. It's just when they pulled out Brawn had to compromise the car with the engine and gearbox, and had no development money - so the other teams caught up later in the season, just too late.

As for aero dominance, look at the lap and sector times. Mercedes are winning this largely in the slow corners - by aero. In the straights they're nowhere near the top of the timing sheets

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm 

Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

Bit disingenuous. Honda spent a fortune on that chassis - it was probably the most expensive out there that season. It's just when they pulled out Brawn had to compromise the car with the engine and gearbox, and had no development money - so the other teams caught up later in the season, just too late.

As for aero dominance, look at the lap and sector times. Mercedes are winning this largely in the slow corners - by aero. In the straights they're nowhere near the top of the timing sheets

Yes, the Ferrari is quicker in a straight line and the Red Bull still doesn’t have the grunt of it’s main competitors (though I think it might have before the end of the season). It’s interesting that nobody seems to have followed the notion of a longer wheelbase like the Merc. Having said that there are a fair few cars, including the Merc, that might struggle around Monaco so it’s far from a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm 

Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

During the grid walk yesterday, they commented that the Merc is significantly longer than the other cars. Not sure what difference that would be make but why aren't others copying what works?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

During the grid walk yesterday, they commented that the Merc is significantly longer than the other cars. Not sure what difference that would be make but why aren't others copying what works?

Has it always been longer or just this season? If it's just this season it's pretty much impossible to make that change mid season.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:22 pm 

Nabberuk wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

Has it always been longer or just this season? If it's just this season it's pretty much impossible to make that change mid season.

The length of the car would be fixed for a season chassis wise.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm 

Nabberuk wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

The Merc has been longer for a few years.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm 

nuffsaid wrote:
Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

Yes, the Ferrari is quicker in a straight line and the Red Bull still doesn’t have the grunt of it’s main competitors (though I think it might have before the end of the season). It’s interesting that nobody seems to have followed the notion of a longer wheelbase like the Merc. Having said that there are a fair few cars, including the Merc, that might struggle around Monaco so it’s far from a no-brainer.

Reiterating - the merc has the best chassis and is the best in slower corners. Better than red bull which max conceded:

They are the favourites.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm 

Also Williams as a team and car are making hay with a lot of performance improvement. Shame the base is so small.

Also as I’m a fan of his:

George Russell 5-0 Robert Kubica (Qualifying)
George Russell 5-0 Robert Kubica (race)

:D

If that williams was in midfield Russell would get it into Q3 consistently.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
Nabberuk wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
Saint wrote:
nardol wrote:

The Merc has been longer for a few years.

The Merc has been long wheelbase low rake since the start of the hybrid era.. Historically that's enabled them to ho very fast in the straights to take advantage of their grunt, and ho well in the high speed corners but, at places dominated by low speed, such as Monaco, Hungary, Singapore etc that's caused them to struggle.

This year's car is different. They are markedly superior on all the corners even against the Red Bull (which has been the benchmark. That's a sure sign of a superior aero package. But they're nowhere in the straights where the raw grunt of pure engine would be expected to show.

If you look up and down the field, you see Ferrari engines dominating the speed gun, so it's fair to say that Ferrari now have a power advantage - but currently they can't make it tell

As for why has no-one copied Merc? Couple of reasons I think

1 - Adrian Newey has been running a shott wheel base high rake concept at Red Bull - and uf you can't hire the best then you might as well copy the best

2 - Since the start of the hybrid era the perception has been that the Merc design is great if you're running in free air, but it's pretty poor when following cars. Given that unless you're running at the front all the time you're not getting much clean air then that type of design is not going to be much use - unless you can fix the problem

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:16 pm 

These articles from an aero expert on the BBC website are quite interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47838557

There was a previous one talking about why Ferrari's front wing design might cause them development problems down the line

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:55 pm 

Lewis is a great guy. This is a wonderful thing to do for this little chap.

[url]Lewis Hamilton's team flies F1 car out to ill 'spirit angel' boy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-48258777[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 am 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Also Williams as a team and car are making hay with a lot of performance improvement. Shame the base is so small.

Sadly i think the evidence so far is that Kubica isn't up to it anymore, He isn't even getting that close to Russell (from what i have seen). Shame as he had so much promise before his rallying accident.

Fair play to him for giving it a crack but it was always going to be a tall order to return after so long out and with such a bad injury

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 am 

terryfinch wrote:
Lewis is a great guy. This is a wonderful thing to do for this little chap.

[url]Lewis Hamilton's team flies F1 car out to ill 'spirit angel' boy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-48258777[/url]

Awesome stuff from Lewis :thumbup:

Last edited by handyman on Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:00 am 

Happy to see a return of the dutch GP in Zandvoort next year as well as a street race in Vietnam :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 pm 

I see even Brundle, the most balanced reserved commentator in F1 who always sits on the fence... absolutely lost it and let rip on the state of sport today.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm 

Linky?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
nardol wrote:

Unless something catastrophic happens, it's probably safe to say so. I know people moan about it, but they deserve it. It's not their fault that the other teams can't catch up.
it's only been 5 races

Mercs are already nearly 100 points clear at the top. Whilst they won't win the constructors mathematically for some time, you're got to think they'll pretty much have it secured by the half-way stage. They can fudge off on holiday a few weeks early and let the others have a chance to win a race. That'll be nice for Max.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm 

4071 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
nardol wrote:

it's only been 5 races

Mercs are already nearly 100 points clear at the top. Whilst they won't win the constructors mathematically for some time, you're got to think they'll pretty much have it secured by the half-way stage. They can fudge off on holiday a few weeks early and let the others have a chance to win a race. That'll be nice for Max.

They can afford to sit out the next 2 races and still be top of the standings in round 8. Seeing as they have only had 3 retirements collectively for the last 2 seasons you may as well give them the constructors now.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 am 

blindcider wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Sadly i think the evidence so far is that Kubica isn't up to it anymore, He isn't even getting that close to Russell (from what i have seen). Shame as he had so much promise before his rallying accident.

Fair play to him for giving it a crack but it was always going to be a tall order to return after so long out and with such a bad injury

I figured Kubica's only role and why he has a ride was to be a test mule and provide feedback. Especially after last year with Stroll and Sirotkin. Russell is quicker but doesn't have the experience to provide that level of feedback.

Really Williams need a Felipe Massa type. Who are the Massa types on the grid that would accept a Williams ride? Maybe Hulkenberg if he was out at Renault?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 am 

Brundle's column:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096 ... re-visions

Quote:
We witnessed a fifth Mercedes 1-2 in five races, on the back of their five seasons of championship dominance. That's as impressive as it is challenging as we crave some variety and surprises in F1.

I woke up feeling a little disappointed on Monday morning after what may apparently be the last Spanish GP for a while. Frustrated with Mercedes, Ferrari, and Formula 1 itself.

Mercedes for being so damned good at everything F1 these days.

A vast group of calm, mature, experienced, professional people, all rowing in the same direction and resourced and empowered to dominate their rivals. The cut-and-paste nature of their dominance is painful right now, always remembering that over the decades one team has often dominated for a while, be it Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Red Bull, Renault, Lotus, and so on.

Ferrari frustrated me because they are underperforming their considerable resource, talent and potential.

Just 10 weeks after dominating the winter testing at this very track they were the third best team as they continued to trip over themselves and hesitate in races.

The Ferrari drivers are both making too many mistakes, and the team's race strategies lack clarity and conviction. They are allowing an over-performing Max Verstappen in a temporarily mildly underperforming Red Bull to outshine them. Even when they did have Merc on the ropes in Bahrain they blew it.

However, the team must unequivocally and openly support their leader Mattia Binotto and build further support around him. Not discard him like some kind of football manager merry-go-round. He seems a decent man, a racer with absolute knowledge of all things Ferrari F1, and an approachable and inclusive manager at a time when the team needs stability.

I asked Binotto on camera in Bahrain if he felt he could really handle a role which to a large extent Mercedes share between the considerable talents of Toto Wolff, James Allison and Andy Cowell. Yes, the same James Allison Ferrari let go, among others. Binotto replied that he had the right people around him to complete the task.

Furthermore, Mercedes' hierarchy are not carrying the weight of expectation and pressure of an entire nation and its demanding media like Ferrari do. Binotto's scholarly calmness will be tested to the extreme which is why he needs support. I hope he has Ross Brawn on speed dial for advice too.

And I'm frustrated with Formula 1 and the FIA because the 2021 regulations offer the opportunity for a root and branch change that the sport needs and, from various conversations I had in Spain, I don't sense it's going to happen.

Teams are involved in the process too, and they shouldn't be because they are competitively hard-wired to think only of their own success, and not the good of the sport.

I sense significant compromise coming, with little changing in terms of overall competitiveness through the field, and nothing to attract new teams and manufacturers which is critical to the health and future of F1, just as it was in the past. We are on a heavily-moated island, drawbridge raised, and more importantly few waiting for the drawbridge to be lowered.

F1 is 70 years and 1000 races old, and is a global giant with 350 million viewers. That momentum is great, but as guardians passing through we can make it better. It's a duty.

It was a 66-lap race, but pole man Valtteri Bottas' chance of winning was effectively over before turn one because of a clutch vibration off the start. A complex collection of parts and software we will never be allowed to see, and couldn't understand anyway, created by an army of talented people we can never meet. But the main point here is that a 'clutch vibration' should not be a race-defining moment unable to be remedied over the next 300kms.

Furthermore, a team of 1000 clever people with all the data in the world can't fully understand why a three-degree track surface change torpedoes one team's performance and lights up another car. So how the hell are we supposed to?

I grew up selling cars before I tripped over a bloke called Senna in F3 and found myself in F1, and a golden rule of selling is never to confuse your customer, or in our case, the fans.

Fernando Alonso's arrival and departure in the sport pretty much decided the roller coaster fate of the Barcelona venue. Unsurprisingly people are motivated and excited by people, not clutch algorithms.

Oh dear, I'm on a roll now, because I'm passionate on this subject.

2021 vision

Formula 1 has to be entertainment first and foremost. The cars must lose 100-150 kgs. We need bulletproof low-degradation tyres even if we have to mandate a number of pit stops. The aerodynamic influence must be slashed, such that we don't need artificial band-aids like chewing gum tyres and drag reduction systems in the rear wing. Back to where we were, with a modern twist.

F1 must be a drivers' championship, not an engineers' tech fest. The cars must be the angriest, flightiest most challenging machines on the planet. I don't want to see teenagers jumping in them and having it all mastered by lunchtime, and fully on the pace.

The drivers must be gladiators, but we've buried them so deep in the cockpit we can only tell them apart by a glimpse of a multi-coloured crash helmet and some Day-Glo tape on half the camera boxes above the roll bar.

Think of an image of the faces of Fangio and Moss at work, and the body language of Clark, Hill and Stewart in the car. Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel in Barcelona. Now mentally draw the top of the crash helmets of today's stars.

Let's take this further. Imagine now Valentino Rossi at work on a motorbike, Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton in a velodrome, Roger Federer and the Williams sisters at the net, Messi in the penalty box, Bolt at the finish line, Jonny Wilkinson before a crucial rugby kick, and so on. We totally share those intense moments of human endeavour with them.

We can't appreciate Lewis's 'strat mode 5' power setting or the latest 50 spike aero barge board in the same way, but three abreast into the first corner in Barcelona was immense, if only it could have happened a few more times for the lead.

A young man named Harry Shaw, who is sadly very unwell, messaged and motivated Lewis to his very impressive victory, and F1 must peel away the many layers of technical complexity which prevent us fully sharing and understanding what he's doing out on track to make that difference. In the same way I don't want to look at the Mona Lisa through two layers of bubble wrap.

Of course, the drivers need protection and safety, although Rossi relies on a layer of leather. And don't get me started on the risk the TT riders are willing to take.

I'm convinced that F1 has gone the wrong way with these hybrid V6 1.6-litre engines, control systems, and aero. Incidentally at a time when Aston Martin, Ferrari and Mercedes are all launching immense road cars with V8 and V12s. They are developing V6 hybrid supercar engines, although Merc are ironically now moving from V6 to straight six road engines.

Of course, hybrid, electric and fuel-cell motors are incoming quickly, but the impressive engineering capabilities of F1 could be directed at other challenges such as battery development, super-fast battery charging in the pits and conductors laid into the track, or for example electrifying some of the hundreds of trucks we take to a European race. We shouldn't just laden the race cars with everything, they primarily exist to inform us who is the fastest, bravest driver, and which team can best think on their feet in the heat of a race. Anything else is a by-product bonus.

And this is why 2021 is so important for F1, but we've probably missed the optimum moment or maybe they should delay it a year. We must recreate the days when a Jordan, Stewart, or Force India might, just might, win the race. And create the environment where they can exist in the first place.

And while I'm ranting, I saw a number of interviews with these privileged drivers at the weekend which were reluctant, dismissive and grumpy. You are F1 drivers living the ultimate dream, it's not the dentist's waiting room on a wet Monday morning.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:25 am 

Dominance does not kill F1

1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

Quote:
Think of an image of the faces of Fangio and Moss at work, and the body language of Clark, Hill and Stewart in the car. Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel in Barcelona. Now mentally draw the top of the crash helmets of today's stars.

The sport has become more popular since we stopped seeing the faces of the drivers in the car. It was what Senna and Mansell did with the cars that I liked not seeing all of their crash helmets. I would rather have seen very little of his crash helmet and had Senna alive and racing for more years to be honest.

Quote:
Is Schumie killing F1?

Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 01:00

Formula One is dying on its expensively melting tyres, they say. It's the same guy winning all the time. It's just so boring. Justin Hynes assesses the 'Schumacher effect'.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.1308995

Quote:
How Lewis Hamilton's absolute domination could prove to be the death knell of Formula One

26 OCTOBER 2018 • 9:48AM

Dominance of any sport is a double-edged phenomenon. Take Formula One: where Michael Schumacher’s annexation of the sport became an enervating spectacle by the end, Lewis Hamilton stirs a certain fascination by his pursuit of the German’s seven championships. In part, this owes much to Hamilton’s place as the more compelling personality, more fragile than the once-impregnable Schumacher and more prone to losses of self-control. But can it last? For the second season running, he is poised to wrap up the title here in Mexico City with two races to spare, draining the tension from what most assumed would be a fight to the death with Sebastian Vettel. Should he repeat the one-sidedness of a fifth title triumph for a sixth next year, and then a seventh, does he, too, risk accusations of creating a monopoly that is killing the sport?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2 ... ath-knell/

Last edited by Anonymous. on Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 am 

That's a decent rant from Brundle.

I'd buy him a beer for it :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:23 am 

It's a rant, but I'm not sure how decent it is. He's fundamentally missing the point of many of the things he's criticising

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 am 

Imo it's not Mercedes winning that has been boring this year, it's the races themselves. Monaco next :|

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:54 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/48289216

Quote:
Indy 500: Fernando Alonso unhurt after practice crash
By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Ex-Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso has emerged unhurt from a crash in practice for the Indianapolis 500.

The 37-year-old Spaniard is making his second attempt at the event but the accident on Wednesday was the latest in a series of setbacks this year.

Alonso said he had made a "mistake", adding: "It was understeer and even if I lifted the throttle on the entry of the corner, it was not enough.

"I completely lost the front aero. The wall came too close and too quickly."

McLaren have set up a new team to run Alonso at the prestigious Indy 500 this year as he seeks to become only the second man in history to complete motorsport's unofficial 'triple crown', which also includes the Monaco Grand Prix and Le Mans 24 Hours, both of which he has already won.

But the team have suffered electronic problems that badly afflicted running in a test last month and then electrical problems cut short their first day of practice on Tuesday. The accident - at Turn Three on the oval track which has average speeds of about 230mph - has cost Alonso more mileage.

Alonso had set 16th fastest time at the time of his accident, his 225.433mph average 3.4mph down on pace-setter Scott Dixon of the Ganassi team.

Alonso, who was taken to the medical centre and released after checks, said: "We will lose a little bit of running time again. I'm sorry for the team, but we will learn and hopefully we will come back stronger tomorrow.

"We worked quite a lot on the car and definitely now it's quite damaged, so I feel sorry for the team and for my mistake, hopefully tomorrow we're back on track and back stronger."

The team said it was unlikely they would run again on Wednesday, but there was a small possibility they might get out for a few laps at the end of day if they felt they could get the car ready without rushing it.

Alonso, who in 2017 qualified fifth with the Andretti team and led the race for 24 laps before retiring with an engine failure in the closing stages, has just two days of practice on Thursday and Friday remaining to prepare for qualifying, which runs over two days this weekend.

Saturday defines positions 10 to 30 on the grid, as well as which nine drivers will go through to compete for pole position and the top positions on the grid on Sunday.

The fastest nine on Saturday then run again on Sunday to compete for pole position.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Imo it's not Mercedes winning that has been boring this year, it's the races themselves. Monaco next :|

Monaco is so overrated.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am 

Sydvicious wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Monaco is so overrated.

Yep - as a spectacle it's pretty awful. As a live experience it's awesome though

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am 

How many people watch F1 just because 2 o'clock on a Sunday must literally be the most boring time of the week and there is nothing else to do but just watch cars racing around on telly?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 am 

Monaco as boring a race as it is, is the most important race in F1 financially.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am 

Newsome wrote:
How many people watch F1 just because 2 o'clock on a Sunday must literally be the most boring time of the week and there is nothing else to do but just watch cars racing around on telly?

?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:

The car are too fast and too big.

If every single track is boring it’s not the tracks it’s the cars.

How many passes would happen this year without DRS? Match the 2008 cars to now and they are literally twice the size now. Better brakes and top speeds are a problem. If the solution to everything is a gigantic straight on every track, you are covering up the actual issues.

Supposedly turbulence is now aerodynamically effecting from 5 seconds back... yet only 1 second for DRS.

The whole thing is a mess.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Newsome wrote:

?

Well, my Sundays are usually pretty shit. It's fun to watch, sure, but that's because the only other choice is Songs of Praise.

Can't believe the BBC don't show Motogp anymore. Absolute fools.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:39 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:

I'd agree with that up to a point. With the exception of Bahrain where Leclerc's engine was quitting, the races have been done at turn 1. The commentators are criticizing Vettel and Leclerc for being near each other and "they can't get out of each other's way" was a quote from someone this past weekend. IT'S CALLED RACING! Meanwhile you have Hamilton and Bottas who are 4 seconds apart at the front and you know that race could go on for 10 hours and whoever is in front will never get a challenge from his teammate.

With how bulletproof Mercedes look to be and how I've yet to see Hamilton and Bottas actually race one another, this World Drivers Championship is literally going to be determined by qualifying and who can get to turn 1 first. It is a complete disaster now for Hamilton or Bottas if they wind up qualifying 3rd or worse.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:40 pm 

Saint wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Monaco is so overrated.

Yep - as a spectacle it's pretty awful. As a live experience it's awesome though

How many fans can afford that experience? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Saint wrote:
Sydvicious wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Monaco is so overrated.

How many fans can afford that experience? :lol:

It’s full every year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 257  Next