Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am 

another frustrating episode...strange decisions and the predictable season-ending sacrifice of a big name...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am 

Winnie wrote:
Well well well
There you go
Standard walking dead what was another shyte episode with a stunning mid season finale ending

Alas a lot of people had wanted that to happen for a while!
Is that what happens in the comic book or have the writers gone off script?

Spoilered in case folks haven't quite caught up yet.

AFAIK
Spoiler: show
Carl
is still alive and kicking in the comic at a point well past this since
there has been no introduction of next arch evil enemy The Whisperers in the show
so unless the vic makes an unprecedented recovery...

Driving regardless for the obvious trap/ambush was yet another moment of Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:11 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Well well well
There you go
Standard walking dead what was another shyte episode with a stunning mid season finale ending

What episode did you watch? That was utter fūcking tosh. The screenwriters and showrunner need a stake through their head. Can a show jump a whale, is that worse than a shark - because that's what this show has done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

UncleFB wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Well well well
There you go

What episode did you watch? That was utter fūcking tosh. The screenwriters and showrunner need a stake through their head. Can a show jump a whale, is that worse than a shark - because that's what this show has done.

I thought it was amusing/ weird that they used the:

death of Carl

as some sort of great shock.
Like anyone watching the show was going to care that the most annoying character on it was dying. I for one am glad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
there has been no introduction of next arch evil enemy The Whisperers in the show...so unless the vic makes an unprecedented recovery...
one theory is that this person has been bitten by a Whisperer, so hasn't been infected. A bit unlikely though maybe based on (1) the person playing the character's own words (2) since fans were already pissed after the dumpster 'death' fakeout and (3) since the character had started looking pretty sick.

But that character dying would make the 'Old Man Carl' vision just a dream.

Well, whatever happens, the show's been proper shit for ages

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 am 

Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
there has been no introduction of next arch evil enemy The Whisperers in the show...so unless the vic makes an unprecedented recovery...
one theory is that this person has been bitten by a Whisperer, so hasn't been infected. A bit unlikely though maybe based on (1) the person playing the character's own words (2) since fans were already pissed after the dumpster 'death' fakeout and (3) since the character had started looking pretty sick.

If they were actually going to kill him he would be dead, its the glen in the dumpster thing all over again. Its not quite visually as bad as when you see rocketman die at the end of an episode and then at the start of the next episode they show a completely different scene and he lived, but narratively it is as bad, and worse, its just stupidly and unnecessarily lazy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:13 am 

MrJonno wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

If they were actually going to kill him he would be dead, its the glen in the dumpster thing all over again. Its not quite visually as bad as when you see rocketman die at the end of an episode and then at the start of the next episode they show a completely different scene and he lived, but narratively it is as bad, and worse, its just stupidly and unnecessarily lazy.

There are a few articles about it (interviews with the actor) that are either very elaborate coverups, or this isn't another 'Glen' moment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 am 

Yeah I think the actor is off to college or something, he's been pretty clear that he was dying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm 

Caaarrrllllllllllll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm 

JB1981 wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

There are a few articles about it (interviews with the actor) that are either very elaborate coverups, or this isn't another 'Glen' moment.

That's my take on it as well, wonder what Rick's motivations are going to be from here.

For anyone interested season 3 of FTWD was the best yet :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm 

Have we all given up? I'm stuck on Season 8 episode 7. Tried to watch it last night so I could get in to the new episodes. I just can't get through it :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:16 pm 

Yeah, I gave up at the end of the last one.

I was genuinely hoping Negan would kill everyone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

I stopped watching during some paramilitary attack on some bloke named begans HQ.

Is it sill going? Is it still Zombie groundhog day? Did Carl stay in the damn house?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:36 pm 

Zakar wrote:
I stopped watching during some paramilitary attack on some bloke named begans HQ.

Is it sill going? Is it still Zombie groundhog day? Did Carl stay in the damn house?

The zombies are just background now. It's bad guy groundhog day. With added bullets that never hit their target

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm 

Haven't quite yet given up on it, it's in a little danger of becoming more interesting now that we seem to have got past the Car-errl tribute episodes.

Negan still has his magical bullet deflecting invisible shield but things are going against him at last with Simon's disobedience and quiet takeover bid presumably going to stir shit up. Still has its ridiculous moments such as Vulcan Fringe Scrap Woman just happening to be in the right place at the right time to capture Negan. And a boring looking new small group of survivors introduced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am 

Well, that was a great big pile of steaming shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:51 am 

Haven't seen the newest episode but allegedly most of it is "straight from the comics" ( not that it would be prevented from being the aforementioned steaming pile ). The build up has been different though with some characters dead or not in the comics.

spoilers obvs...
https://www.skybound.com/the-walking-de ... c-vs-show/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 pm 

Ted. wrote:
Well, that was a great big pile of steaming shit.

That was actually the stupidest episode yet. And I'll still probably watch the next one, how dumb does that make me?

During the snowpocalypse in Dublin I was trapped in a flat for 3 days with only what I had downloaded onto a tablet from netflix (I had just moved and on the wed, the day the snow fell, was waiting for my virgin media package to be delivered). I had randomly downloaded Van Helsing the TV series and so had only that to watch. God it was stupid but it had some nice, clever things in it. So it was better than it should have been. At this point TWD is just horseshit. At least FTWD has some potential.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
FTWD has some potential.

Fcuk The Walking Dead?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:40 am 

Nope the one with the bro in (Cliff Curtis) haven't seen much of it tbh but it seems a lot more coherent plotwise compared to the shite we are constantly served up by Rick Crimes and co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:49 am 

lol ppl are still watching this? .....kek ..go watch AMC's new show THE TERROR..its 10x more exciting (even though its dull) than this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Yeah, I gave up at the end of the last one.

I was genuinely hoping Negan would kill everyone

Actually hasn't stopped you lobbing onto this thread after each episode whinging about it :lol:

Dude if you don't like it move along, currently watching Whitechapel give it a go dude, you might enjoy it. Digging the 2IC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 pm 

Well that (episode 14) really was a shit one. Negan sporting ever more plot armour...

I'm trying to stick it out to the season finale just in case it manages to salvage the show but that one will be the last chance saloon for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:25 am 

Morgan is going to need some counselling by the end of all this. That guy isn't right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm 

Quote:
. Deadline reported last Sunday's season finale was the second lowest finale the show has aired ratings-wise, and a 30% decrease in viewership from the Season 7 finale.

Well, the climax, such as it was, followed the comics after all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 pm 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Caaarrrllllllllllll!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 am 

Nice work by Eugene but again, after 8 seasons, Rick still has no idea tactically.....bunched up and no scouts..

It kind of finished the battle too quickly - why did Denise abandon the walls if she had a bag full of guns!

Looking forward to seeing how they work Morgan into Fear the Walking Dead - must be before he finds Rick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:37 am 

I think what sums up TWD for me is that I had watched every episode, even though the bad times, more or less as they came out up to now, then partway through the second half of this season, I totally forgot it was on, it was only when I saw this thread that I remembered. And even more importantly, I have a major piece of work due for Friday and I still don't have an urge to finish this season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:35 pm 

Season 8 has been by far the shitest, we can all agree. The first 2-3 episodes in particular were uter dross. It did improve a little, but the penultimate episode on Sunday was back to the dross again. I will watch the season finale on Sunday, unless Scarlets lose and I will be on a major downer lying in bed all day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Season 8 has been by far the shitest, we can all agree. The first 2-3 episodes in particular were uter dross. It did improve a little, but the penultimate episode on Sunday was back to the dross again. I will watch the season finale on Sunday, unless Scarlets lose and I will be on a major downer lying in bed all day.
What do you think needs to change to get it back on track? For me:

- Clear out all the dull people from the core group: Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and (sometimes) Carol and Eugene are the only interesting ones
- Fewer empty monologues and moralising/ re-moralising about stuff (the Morgan character and his lethal/ non-lethal stick - give me a fxcking break)
- shorter story arcs
- seasons that are less formulaic than 'finding a friendly, safe community, squatting there for a while until they realise these people are actually bad' and and end-of-season faceoff with a video game-type boss
- change of scenery. They've been essentially static for 2(?) seasons now
- some form of plot advancement that points to an ultimate end (e.g. zombies starting to die from decay, some humans being immune to the virus). This is what I thought Eugene was going to bring, or the CDC lab in the earlier season
- Deviation away from the comics (which they've started to do more) - otherwise an entire season's developments can be pretty much telegraphed/ spoiled by anyone daring to read a single article about the show

So nothing major then... :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

- Clear out all the dull people from the core group: Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and (sometimes) Carol and Eugene are the only interesting ones
- Fewer empty monologues and moralising/ re-moralising about stuff (the Morgan character and his lethal/ non-lethal stick - give me a fxcking break)
- shorter story arcs
- seasons that are less formulaic than 'finding a friendly, safe community, squatting there for a while until they realise these people are actually bad' and and end-of-season faceoff with a video game-type boss
- some form of plot advancement that points to an ultimate end (e.g. zombies starting to die from decay, some humans being immune to the virus). This is what I thought Eugene was going to bring, or the CDC lab in the earlier season
- Deviation away from the comics (which they've started to do more) - otherwise an entire season's developments can be pretty much telegraphed/ spoiled by anyone daring to read a single article about the show

Yes, all this and I would add:
- Some of the editing has been woeful. One of the earlier episodes in season 8 looked so cheap it was nasty.
- a bit more realism - if Negan is 100' away from you, you can actually shoot him
- zombies that are incredulousy slow and weak, suddenly become strong and fast
- eradicate great swathes of zombies by tying a wire between two buses and touring Atlanta (the cities surely have the best resources still) / set traps
- more flies and bad teeth after years surviving amongst rotten flesh
- a fight breaks out and one of the main characters pops another and then regrets it - they are all under great tension
- Michonne admitting she likes anal; Daryl coming clean too - the dirty bastard
- petrol 'goes bad' after so much time - so incorporate this
- a clear explanation of how teh fudge the military was beaten
- a clear explanation of why they can't build walls
etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 am 

Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Yet you still keep watching :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 am 

The first episode of Season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead was vastly superior.

Mind you, the inability to avoid ambushes is still there... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 am 

Salient wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

Yet you still keep watching :lol:
Yes. I'm hoping it will improve, because I enjoyed the earlier seasons. In the same way that I keep watching and supporting England from 2003-present.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:11 am 

maxbox wrote:
Nope the one with the bro in (Cliff Curtis) haven't seen much of it tbh but it seems a lot more coherent plotwise compared to the shite we are constantly served up by Rick Crimes and co

Some good and some bad news for ya with Fear the Walking Dead .... nope not seeing spoiler tags.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

- shorter story arcs

Yes, all this and I would add:
- Some of the editing has been woeful. One of the earlier episodes in season 8 looked so cheap it was nasty.
- a bit more realism - if Negan is 100' away from you, you can actually shoot him
- zombies that are incredulousy slow and weak, suddenly become strong and fast
- eradicate great swathes of zombies by tying a wire between two buses and touring Atlanta (the cities surely have the best resources still) / set traps
- more flies and bad teeth after years surviving amongst rotten flesh
- a fight breaks out and one of the main characters pops another and then regrets it - they are all under great tension
- Michonne admitting she likes anal; Daryl coming clean too - the dirty bastard
- petrol 'goes bad' after so much time - so incorporate this
- a clear explanation of how teh fudge the military was beaten
- a clear explanation of why they can't build walls
etc etc

Actually there seems to be a consensus amongst critics that it's time to kill off Rick, or at least push him far into the background. Also reduce the number of episodes per season and cut down the filler. Make more standalone and stronger stories that don't revolve around Rick and whoever the big bad happens to be at the time, more with Carol or Darryl for example.

This article amongst many also suggests what others here on the thread have said: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/th ... ow-w519044

Quote:
But y'know, what if there aren't many more depths to plumb with this guy? Rick's not especially shrewd or thoughtful, and if this season has proven anything, it's that a lot of his success is due to dumb luck. Even in this year's finale, his army was lured into a trap, and would've been wiped out if their old friend Eugene hadn't secretly sabotaged the Saviors' weapons. Frankly, it's getting harder and harder to understand why anyone follows Rick – including the show's writers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Actually there seems to be a consensus amongst critics that it's time to kill off Rick, or at least push him far into the background. Also reduce the number of episodes per season and cut down the filler. Make more standalone and stronger stories that don't revolve around Rick and whoever the big bad happens to be at the time, more with Carol or Darryl for example.

This article amongst many also suggests what others here on the thread have said: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/th ... ow-w519044
I agree with everything you/ the article say *except* the stuff about Rick. In my view, the issue is they've actually pushed him too far into the background already with the over-inflated cast and now we've lost narrative focus, the plot just kind of meanders. The show was at its strongest when he was the central figure, and surely no one can argue that he gets more/ the same amount of story time in Season 8 as he did in, say, Season 4. I've seen people say that he should go because he's too dark now - well, Breaking Bad didn't exactly suffer because of an anti-hero at the centre.

Daryl's a really interesting, unconventional character as the gruff-but-good hillbilly; ditto mouse-to-lion Carol. But I really don't think that they (and the actors playing them, for that matter) have the range to carry the show in Rick/ Lincoln's absence. I don't think anyone in the current cast (character or actor) does, really

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
Quote:

I agree with everything you/ the article say *except* the stuff about Rick. In my view, the issue is they've actually pushed him too far into the background already with the over-inflated cast and now we've lost narrative focus, the plot just kind of meanders. The show was at its strongest when he was the central figure, and surely no one can argue that he gets more/ the same amount of story time in Season 8 as he did in, say, Season 4. I've seen people say that he should go because he's too dark now - well, Breaking Bad didn't exactly suffer because of an anti-hero at the centre.

Daryl's a really interesting, unconventional character as the gruff-but-good hillbilly; ditto mouse-to-lion Carol. But I really don't think that they (and the actors playing them, for that matter) have the range to carry the show in Rick/ Lincoln's absence. I don't think anyone in the current cast (character or actor) does, really

Perhaps because the show continues to rely on the comics for source material? Seems to me the show needs new writing/acting blood and to take a few chances because with no end game even the main arc just meanders constantly around: find a safe place, oh look a new big bad threatens, some sort of vague resolution. The show is still pretty successful despite falling audience figures though so I can't see them changing the formula unless cast and crew all decide they've had enough and we get a proper last act and conclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps because the show continues to rely on the comics for source material? Seems to me the show needs new writing/acting blood and to take a few chances because with no end game even the main arc just meanders constantly around: find a safe place, oh look a new big bad threatens, some sort of vague resolution. The show is still pretty successful despite falling audience figures though so I can't see them changing the formula unless cast and crew all decide they've had enough and we get a proper last act and conclusion.
Green - yep, and we've said this a number of times in this thread. My suggested 'fix' is - deviate further (still) from the comics, pull the focus back to Rick, and start pointing towards a finish - even if that finish is 10 seasons away, we just need a clue to an end game. I think the comic writer has said that, for now, he intends to continue ad infinitum (which I hate in storytelling).

Purple - or if the network thinks they can get more advertising $$$ from putting another show in that primetime, flagship spot. AMC already has a good product stable and you can only think they're going to have more good shows in future

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
Quote:

Green - yep, and we've said this a number of times in this thread. My suggested 'fix' is - deviate further (still) from the comics, pull the focus back to Rick, and start pointing towards a finish - even if that finish is 10 seasons away, we just need a clue to an end game. I think the comic writer has said that, for now, he intends to continue ad infinitum (which I hate in storytelling).

Purple - or if the network thinks they can get more advertising $$$ from putting another show in that primetime, flagship spot. AMC already has a good product stable and you can only think they're going to have more good shows in future

So much colour I had to super highlight.

About 1 year ago I saw an interview with the Producers. They said that they had plans for 14 seasons total. Not sure they will reach 10 at this rate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next