Who?

Wales
Team: TBA

Vs.

Italy
Team: TBA

Where?

When?
Saturday, February 1st, 2020. Kick off at 14:15.

Ref?
Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant 1: Matthew Carley (England)
Assistant 2: Mike Fraser (New Zealand)
TMO: James Leckie (Australia)

Wales Rule 1:
Spoiler: show

Italy Rule 1:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm 

Ok fine - f*ck you all! I have no shame - I'll happily go all Vagina monologues to bump this thread to keep it on the front page

What to say - Wales v Italy... a clash to whet any appetite. Wales are coming in with a new coach & hopefully a more enterprising style of play. Who starts at centre will be the biggest talking point - currently the choice is down to the ghost of Hadleigh Parkes, a shameless English poach (Nick Tomkins) or George North. It might be enough to see Italy off at home - but might pose a problem vs. the big boys later on in the tournament. Looks like Owen Watkins is on the comeback trail - which would be welcome news - but it might be asking too much to throw him in from the start against Ireland in a few weeks for example.

Don't know much about Italy - but I assume that the players to watch out for would be: Jake Polledri in the back row - has been going very well for Gloucester; & usual suspects Benvenuti & Minozzi out wide. They seem to have a solid core of pros from Benetton & Zebre - and will be keen to prove a point as always - they've got o fancy catching Wales cold (new coach, notorious slow starters etc) - so I think it will be a lot closer than most people think, but ultimately - I think Wales will have too much upfront & have the better back 3 (plus they are at home)

Wales by 8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:12 pm 

I'll keep bumping it as well.

Wales by 10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm 

Like a Tour de France cyclist making a break - you've gone early and you're going to have to do a lot of work before the peloton catch you up nearer the finish line.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:43 pm 

penguin wrote:
Like a Tour de France cyclist making a break - you've gone early and you're going to have to do a lot of work before the peloton catch you up nearer the finish line.

Stay tuned for an in depth player analysis for both sides

Chapter 1: The life & times of Wyn Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:15 pm 

Wales by 23.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 pm 

c69 wrote:
Wales by 23.

Wales 23-16 Italy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm 

Anything less than a BP win ,will be a disappointment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 pm 

I'll be at the game, looking forward to it. 8)

Hopefully it will be good, I wonder if Privac will continue Gatland's slow start trends with his methods?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm 

Congrats on a well thought out topic layout.

Wales by 20+

Bumpio.

https://youtu.be/_N9HQNmy8KM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:19 pm 

For a sec I was hoping the Wales rule 1 would be a young Catherine Zeta-Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:23 pm 

Jimcardiff wrote:

I think we have a chance but doubt highly we can win with a BP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:24 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:31 pm 

Wyn Jones was born on the 26 February, 1992. He grew up on a hillside cattle and sheep farm about three miles outside Llandovery. Following a stint at Aberystwyth University, Wyn made his debut for the Scarlets in 2014 having previously played for Llandovery RFC over 90 times, and has since established himself as a front-row stalwart at both Scarlets and for team Wales.

A string of impressive performances in Scarlets colours saw him called up for Wales' summer Tests in 2017, where he won his first cap against Tonga in Auckland. He has since gone on to feature 20 times for Wales - and became the de facto No. 1 loose-head for Wales over the summer & the 2019 RWC, it was somewhat of a meteoric rise as this time last year he was only 3rd in line to the loose-head shirt behind Rob Evans & Nicky Smith; however he'll be facing a fresh challenge from R Evans & Rhys Carre moving forward into 2020 and beyond.

His nickname is Sausage - and he's got fellow Scarlet front rower Emyr Phillips to thank for that:

“It’s a bit of a strange one,” said Phillips. “One of his friends back home is called Sausage and Wyn used to wind him up because he hated it. Well, Wyn was winding me up on one of his first days at the Scarlets and trying to spread my own nickname around. I wasn’t having it because he was a young pup coming in! I wanted to knock him down a peg or two and let him know he had to work his way up the ladder - so I just started calling him Sausage and told the boys at the Scarlets. It was a bit random really, just to keep him in place, but when someone like Cubby Boi or Gareth Davies gets hold of a nickname it sticks pretty quick! When Stephen Jones started calling him Sausage in the meetings it just kind of took off. He still says it’s not going to stick, but I’m pretty sure the Welsh boys are calling him it now!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:23 pm 

Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

How lucky is Michael Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:21 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Very.

He gets to visit Swansea at least once a year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:25 pm 

Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Very.

He gets to visit Swansea at least once a year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 am 

Jimcardiff wrote:

Ehhh, if we can win reasonably comfortably, play some decent rugby and have a functioning set piece I'll be happy.

Think we'll win by a couple of scores. I hope Italy make a decent game of it this time because the last few in Cardiff have been one sided borefests.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

didn't he get throat cancer from that toxic welsh pussy ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 am 

Akkerman wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Druid wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

didn't he get throat cancer from that toxic welsh pussy ?

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:20 am 

New guy wrote:
Jimcardiff wrote:

Ehhh, if we can win reasonably comfortably, play some decent rugby and have a functioning set piece I'll be happy.

Think we'll win by a couple of scores. I hope Italy make a decent game of it this time because the last few in Cardiff have been one sided borefests.

If we are to have a chance at the championship Italy at home BPW is a must , as the teams at or near the top will have done so home or away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm 

Alun Wyn Jones.

"The backrow turned lock has been an integral part of each Welsh success since his debut against Argentina in 2006. Jones’ first Welsh cap came off the back of impressive club form for the Ospreys, whom he made his debut for a year earlier.

In 2009 it was announced that Jones, along with twelve other Welsh men, would be part of the 2009 British and Irish Lions squad for their tour of South Africa.

In 2010, it was announced that Alun Wyn Jones would succeed Ryan Jones as the captain of the Ospreys. He has become one of Wales’ most important on-field leaders. The athletic lock is excellent at lineout time providing secure ball and is prone to stealing one or two opposition throws per game. It is in his open-field work though that Wyn Jones really excels.

Named in the squad for the 2013 British and Irish Lions, his carrying, breakdown work and sheer work rate saw him make the test side, and in Paul O'Connell and Sam Warburtons absence in the final test of the series, Jones led the side as captain in the triumphant final test of the series. Alun-Wyn is set to feature for Wales in the Rugby World Cup as vice captain and goes into the tournament with a good bit of form after a strong 6 Nations campaign.

Jones succeeded Sam Warburton as captain of Wales from the 2017 6 Nations onwards.

In 2017, Jones was named in the British & Irish Lions squad for a 3rd time, with 110 Welsh caps to his name and 13 Lions caps (6 test).

Ahead of Wales final 2018 6 Nations clash with France, Jones signed a new National dual contract with Wales and Ospreys.

The 116 capped Welsh international has earned 9 British & Irish Lions caps and is in his 13th season with the Ospreys having come through the development pathway and is joint second in the all-time list of appearances on 223, 110 of them as captain.

Jones went into the 2018 November International with 117 test caps.

After 134 international appearances - 125 for Wales plus nine British & Irish Lions caps, Jones announced a contract extension with the Welsh Rugby Union and the Ospreys, securing his future in Wales through to June 2021"

Ultimaterugby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 pm 

Druid wrote:
Alun Wyn Jones.

"The backrow turned lock has been an integral part of each Welsh success since his debut against Argentina in 2006. Jones’ first Welsh cap came off the back of impressive club form for the Ospreys, whom he made his debut for a year earlier.

In 2009 it was announced that Jones, along with twelve other Welsh men, would be part of the 2009 British and Irish Lions squad for their tour of South Africa.

In 2010, it was announced that Alun Wyn Jones would succeed Ryan Jones as the captain of the Ospreys. He has become one of Wales’ most important on-field leaders. The athletic lock is excellent at lineout time providing secure ball and is prone to stealing one or two opposition throws per game. It is in his open-field work though that Wyn Jones really excels.

Named in the squad for the 2013 British and Irish Lions, his carrying, breakdown work and sheer work rate saw him make the test side, and in Paul O'Connell and Sam Warburtons absence in the final test of the series, Jones led the side as captain in the triumphant final test of the series. Alun-Wyn is set to feature for Wales in the Rugby World Cup as vice captain and goes into the tournament with a good bit of form after a strong 6 Nations campaign.

Jones succeeded Sam Warburton as captain of Wales from the 2017 6 Nations onwards.

In 2017, Jones was named in the British & Irish Lions squad for a 3rd time, with 110 Welsh caps to his name and 13 Lions caps (6 test).

Ahead of Wales final 2018 6 Nations clash with France, Jones signed a new National dual contract with Wales and Ospreys.

The 116 capped Welsh international has earned 9 British & Irish Lions caps and is in his 13th season with the Ospreys having come through the development pathway and is joint second in the all-time list of appearances on 223, 110 of them as captain.

After 134 international appearances - 125 for Wales plus nine British & Irish Lions caps, Jones announced a contract extension with the Welsh Rugby Union and the Ospreys, securing his future in Wales through to June 2021"

Ultimaterugby

Doing P in VG's job for him Druid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 pm 

Frodder wrote:
Druid wrote:
Alun Wyn Jones.

Ultimaterugby

Doing P in VG's job for him Druid

Yes. he seems a bit of a lazy git. :)

In other news this could be a good ahem, bet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... ting-story

Last edited by Druid on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 pm 

Funny match this.

If this was the Gatland era, particularly after a few games, I suspect we’d be confident of a comfortable BP win.

However, with all the changes to the coaching staffs, could be a tricky game. Messy, disjointed, error-strewn. A loss is unthinkable but it might not be as comprehensive as we’d like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:04 pm 

henry wrote:
Funny match this.

If this was the Gatland era, particularly after a few games, I suspect we’d be confident of a comfortable BP win.

However, with all the changes to the coaching staffs, could be a tricky game. Messy, disjointed, error-strewn. A loss is unthinkable but it might not be as comprehensive as we’d like.

We didn't get a BP last year and struggled the year before that. With our options limited at centre expect Biggar to go to kick for 50 mins. Spare us Cawdor's box kicks though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:16 pm 

Frodder wrote:
henry wrote:
Funny match this.

We didn't get a BP last year and struggled the year before that. With our options limited at centre expect Biggar to go to kick for 50 mins. Spare us Cawdor's box kicks though

But remember, we put out a second team against them. Pivac has no such luxury.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:48 pm 

I realised earlier this week that I really miss the Stadio Flaminio. Anyone know if Italy will be returning any time soon?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:51 pm 

Less rugby talk and more Catherine :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm 

henry wrote:
Funny match this.

To be fair, would your description be much different to Gatland's era? Gatland's Wales were always slow starters in tournaments and even after a game in didn't BP Italy last year.

Privac is an unknown, he's changing the style, but a large chunk of the players have played under him and his style does suit Wales natural skill set as well. I'm more concerned how and if he can translate it to tight test games and actually it's probably good fortune to face the weakest 6 Nations side when you are starting out.

Either way I'l be in the stands on Saturday to witness the new era :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 pm 

Are you Welsh this year?