Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
18'
FNB UJ 14-3 FNB Madibaz
FNB CUT 8-18 FNB Wits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
40'
FNB UJ 23 - 8 FNB Madibaz
FNB CUT 8 - 25 FNB Wits

20' FNB Maties 14 - 0 FNB Ikeys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
FT: FNB UJ 69-8 FNB Madibaz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
FT: FNB CUT 18-52 FNB Wits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
FT: FNB Maties 33 -14 FNB UCT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Again a good game by UCT nr9. Give him a WP jersey, we need 9s.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 4538
Snorre says the players in the varsity cup is kak oom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Wits v UJ - 16:45

CUT v UP-Tuks - 18:30

NMU Madibaz v Maties - 18:30

NWU-Pukke v Shimlas - 19:00


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10334
Location: Kenya
One of the matches was abandoned last night. Exact circumstances seem unclear.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/03/13/maties-madi ... fter-brawl

Edit: it's about race. There's a surprise.

Quote:
According to the HeraldLIVE website, members of the South African Students Congress (SASCO) stormed the field protesting against what they believe is a lack of transformation in sport


https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Varsity ... y-20180313


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Belaglik.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31897
OomPB wrote:
Belaglik.


assfly wrote:
One of the matches was abandoned last night. Exact circumstances seem unclear.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/03/13/maties-madi ... fter-brawl

Edit: it's about race. There's a surprise.

Quote:
According to the HeraldLIVE website, members of the South African Students Congress (SASCO) stormed the field protesting against what they believe is a lack of transformation in sport


https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Varsity ... y-20180313


They do SOOOOO need attention, what with the Centurion land grabs by Malema ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
Semis:
Semi-finals:

Maties vs Wits
Pukke vs UJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1358
That was a great game between Maties and Pukke - a lot of intensity and pretty close to provincial level quality. Thought the Maties flyhalf, ex SACS, Chris Smith looks like he can take the step up to higher honors. He started pre season training with us at under 20 but unfortunately did not meet the academic requirements to study at UCT. We have lost many potential players due to them not qualifying to study.

Ikeys lost to UJ 17-18 in the unofficial quarter final - a win would have put the Ikeys into fourth position and a semi-final.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
beachboy wrote:
That was a great game between Maties and Pukke - a lot of intensity and pretty close to provincial level quality. Thought the Maties flyhalf, ex SACS, Chris Smith looks like he can take the step up to higher honors. He started pre season training with us at under 20 but unfortunately did not meet the academic requirements to study at UCT. We have lost many potential players due to them not qualifying to study.

Wrong skin colour. Its laughable these days that the universities (they differ also) have two sets of rules to qualify for studies. Blacks 40% Whites 80% average.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31897
OomPB wrote:
beachboy wrote:
That was a great game between Maties and Pukke - a lot of intensity and pretty close to provincial level quality. Thought the Maties flyhalf, ex SACS, Chris Smith looks like he can take the step up to higher honors. He started pre season training with us at under 20 but unfortunately did not meet the academic requirements to study at UCT. We have lost many potential players due to them not qualifying to study.

Wrong skin colour. Its laughable these days that the universities (they differ also) have two sets of rules to qualify for studies. Blacks 40% Whites 80% average.



:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Finals night from Stellenbosch.
Rom rom rom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Maties 40-7 Pukke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8974
OomPB wrote:
Maties 40-7 Pukke

Bly maar die beste 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Cartman wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Maties 40-7 Pukke

Bly maar die beste 8)

Was jy n Matie? Hier is n hele paar.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1358
Was annual Intervarsity yesterday (not very well advertised :? ).

Ikeys beat Maties 27 - 25 and Ikeys under 20a's beat Maties 20- 19 both games at Danie Craven.

Some new pre-season activities have built a fantastic vibe at the club and it is showing on the field :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
beachboy wrote:
Was annual Intervarsity yesterday (not very well advertised :? ).

Ikeys beat Maties 27 - 25 and Ikeys under 20a's beat Maties 20- 19 both games at Danie Craven.

Some new pre-season activities have built a fantastic vibe at the club and it is showing on the field :thumbup:

Congrats. Great for Ikeys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
Was at the hockey final last night. Tukkies winning it after Maties havent drop a single match during the tournament. Massive performance by Tukkies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
OomPB, when are you going to dig up a Stormers Lions match thread from the archives of the ancient? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
Quote:
The 2019 Varsity Cup will get underway on Monday, February 4, and as part of the build-up, tournament organisers have released a 'Dream Team' of players to have featured in the competition since its inception 12 years ago.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/varsity-cup-names-bok-laden-dream-team-20190111

1. Trevor Nyakane (CUT 2011-2012) A diverse prop with 37 Springbok caps. Nyakane would slot in at loosehead to allow for Vincent Koch to fill the No 3 position. Going with experience and power up front.

2. Malcolm Marx (UJ 2013) Still just 24-years-old, Marx has 23 Test caps. The 2017 SA Rugby Player of the Year is one of the best hookers in world rugby. This selection is a no-brainer.

3. Vincent Koch (Tuks 2012) Koch has become a vital cog in the Saracens mean machine. While he has been presented with limited opportunities in the Green and Gold, he has proven his worth over the past four years in the UK. He also has a knack for scoring tries.

4. Eben Etzebeth (UCT 2011) One of the greatest locks in Springbok history and nothing up 74 Test caps at the age of 27. The former UCT man selects himself here. And you wouldn’t dare argue with him!

5. Franco Mostert (Tuks 2010-2012) It was a close call between Mostert and De Jager, but the former has been selected on 2018 form, with De Jager spending most of the season recovering from injury.

6. Jaco Kriel (UJ 2012) The tall, powerful flank has recently moved to Gloucester, but spent the past 7 years winning over Lions fans with his passion and grit. Varsity Cup fans love nothing more than passion.

7. Nizaam Carr (UCT 2011) Another member of UCT’s strong 2011-2012 squad. Carr has joined the London Wasps and quickly made an impact with his new team. He was a key member of UCT’s squad in 2011 and will be a key member of this one too.

8. Oupa Mohoje (Shimlas 2011-2014) The Free State man made 22 appearances for Shimlas and won the 2013 Player That Rocks award. He has enjoyed mixed fortunes of late, but is a Varsity Cup favourite through and through.

9. Rudy Paige (UJ 2011-2012) Another close call between Paige and Nic Groom, but with Paige’s Test experience, he edges Groom here.

10. Handré Pollard (Tuks 2013) Pollard won the 2013 Varsity Cup with Tuks and was a significant figure in both aiding them in reaching the final, and winning it, kicking 6 from 6 in their final against Maties.

11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (UJ 2017) Seriously though, do we need to explain this selection?

12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Tuks 2014) This 6-foot-1, 109kg beast is the fifth Tuks member of the starting XV. Technically still old enough to play in the Varsity Cup at just 24, he still has a lot to offer and a lengthy career ahead. We’re tipping him for big things… starting with us (again).

13. Juan de Jongh (Maties 2008) The OG. De Jongh was the first-ever Varsity Cup Springbok, winning the first-ever trophy with Maties. He’s loving life at Wasps, in the UK. On his current form and because we’re so sentimental, we’ve put our No 1 at No 13.

14. Seabelo Senatla (CUT 2012) Pace, pace, pace. If Senatla and Dyantyi on the wings doesn’t scare you, look again. While Senatla hasn’t made his mark in the XV-man format yet, we believe in him and by know you should know that Varsity Cup is where dreams are realised.

15. Curwin Bosch (UKZN 2016) The second Varsity Shield player in our starting XV, the versatile Bosch is one for the future. Needless to say he set the competition alight back in 2016. He’s still just 21, but we’re all about youth.

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi (TUT and Tuks 2013), 17 Coenie Oosthuizen (Shimlas 2008), 18 Wilco Louw (Tuks Young Guns 2013), 19 Lood de Jager (NWU 2012), 20 Uzair Cassiem (UWC 2012), 21 Nic Groom (UCT 2011), 22 Andries Coetzee (Tuks 2011), 23 Damian de Allende (UCT 2012)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20037
Quote:
Varsity Cup organisers have confirmed the tournament's transformation policy for the 2019 edition.

The organisers said that the nine participating universities "must embrace the diversity challenge and do their utmost to create opportunities to advance players of colour".

As such, there must be eight "black persons" in each match-day squad of 23 (35%), of which five must be in the starting line-up (33%).

The organisers have defined black persons as: "African, Coloured or Indian persons who are natural persons and are citizens of the Republic of South Africa".

They added that non-South African black players who are registered students of any member university shall not be treated as "black persons" for the Varsity Cup competitions (Cup, Shield, Young Guns and Res).

Non-South African black persons have been defined as: "African, Coloured or Indian persons who are natural persons and are not citizens of the Republic of South Africa."

Also, somewhat confusingly, universities will be allowed to field four first-year students in their 23-man match-day squads.

However, those players have to be 21 years or younger (they may turn 22 in the year they play), on the condition that "only one of these students may not be a black person"
.

It's unclear what the ratio is if fewer than four first-year students are selected.

Varsity Cup universities will furthermore be allowed to select an additional three first-year students, on the condition that these additional first-year students must have been in Grade 12 (matric at school) in one of the previous two years.

There will be no restrictions on the first-year students that were in Grade 12 in the previous two years, playing in the Varsity Shield.

Meanwhile, the organisers also announced that the scoring system will be the same for all competitions and that they will revert back to the current, normal, rugby scoring system.

The only exception is the Point of Origin Try (POR) that is only applicable to Varsity Cup.

In this scenario, a seven-point try will be awarded for a try which originated in a team's own half.

The nine-point try - which came into place when teams scored from a move that started in their own 22m area - has been scrapped.

The 2019 Varsity Cup will run from Monday, February 4 until Monday, April 15.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/VarsityCup/varsity-cup-confirms-quota-policy-for-2019-20190115


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1358
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Varsity Cup organisers have confirmed the tournament's transformation policy for the 2019 edition.

The organisers said that the nine participating universities "must embrace the diversity challenge and do their utmost to create opportunities to advance players of colour".

As such, there must be eight "black persons" in each match-day squad of 23 (35%), of which five must be in the starting line-up (33%).

The organisers have defined black persons as: "African, Coloured or Indian persons who are natural persons and are citizens of the Republic of South Africa".

They added that non-South African black players who are registered students of any member university shall not be treated as "black persons" for the Varsity Cup competitions (Cup, Shield, Young Guns and Res).

Non-South African black persons have been defined as: "African, Coloured or Indian persons who are natural persons and are not citizens of the Republic of South Africa."

Also, somewhat confusingly, universities will be allowed to field four first-year students in their 23-man match-day squads.

However, those players have to be 21 years or younger (they may turn 22 in the year they play), on the condition that "only one of these students may not be a black person"
.

It's unclear what the ratio is if fewer than four first-year students are selected.

Varsity Cup universities will furthermore be allowed to select an additional three first-year students, on the condition that these additional first-year students must have been in Grade 12 (matric at school) in one of the previous two years.

There will be no restrictions on the first-year students that were in Grade 12 in the previous two years, playing in the Varsity Shield.

Meanwhile, the organisers also announced that the scoring system will be the same for all competitions and that they will revert back to the current, normal, rugby scoring system.

The only exception is the Point of Origin Try (POR) that is only applicable to Varsity Cup.

In this scenario, a seven-point try will be awarded for a try which originated in a team's own half.

The nine-point try - which came into place when teams scored from a move that started in their own 22m area - has been scrapped.

The 2019 Varsity Cup will run from Monday, February 4 until Monday, April 15.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/VarsityCup/varsity-cup-confirms-quota-policy-for-2019-20190115


That is going to affect the Ikeys in particular, a number of our black players over the past few years have been Zimbabwean or of Zimbabwean descent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Varsity Cup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23107
Location: Stellenbosch
The rulings is changing the VC into a joke.

Fees must fall!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boil up, Bokkom, DonBillydeParis, Google Adsense [Bot], Mog The Almighty and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group